So who got you in to civ4?

My brother introduced me to Civ 4 last year. I was hooked from day one.

hubby played civ1 before i ever met him. he got civ2 a while after it came out and i got to live through seeing him in "one more turn" ville. i did forgive him and eventually marry him tho, it'll be 11 years this june.

i read the civ2 manual oscar night (a couple days after he got the game) when he was SUPPOSED to be watching with me but was "one more turning" ... i was reallllllllllllllllly pissed. i am still bitter. he knows this. i love him anyway. he knows that too. the manual confused the heck out of me, i kept asking him 'what the heck is this, how do you do xyz' during commercials, he laughed and said he'd show me some day.

well, i tried it one day and eventually got more addicted than he was! we liked civ3 also, but not CTP, i really liked smac, and of course had to get civ4 the day it came out.

he's currently addicted to WoW tho :(

altho i didn't know it until visiting for christmas later that year, my father was a big-time civ2 addict too. he'd never modded the files, and when i told him some of what i'd done then i had to email him custom changes that he wanted *giggle*. my brother was hooked on 3 for a bit but his pc is too old for 4, poor guy.

i am still bitter. he knows this. i love him anyway. he knows that too.

ROFL! that crack me up. :lol:

LucyDuke said:
Ah, this reminds me of the good old days of Final Fantasy marathons. I don't know whether it's the mark of a good game or a hopelessly obsessed fanbase... ;)

BTW, your signature is one of my all-time favorites. :goodjob:
Hehe, when I think back on it I have mixed feelings. I think "Man that was a blast!" and at the same time "Crap we were hopeless!"

Thanks on the sig comment too. That line cracked me up when I read it on the off-topic forums. As soon as I get on a Civ kick again, I plan on finishing my story too. But I can't seem to want to play really anymore. I haven't played for months. :(

When I was 12 I found civII on a flea market.I thought it looked really interesting, so I bought it (even though we didn`t actually own a computer at the time :crazyeye: ).
A few months later, when I had finally gotten my parents to buy one, I immediately tried it and was hooked.
That was almost seven years ago and I`m still playing :)

hubby played civ1 before i ever met him. he got civ2 a while after it came out and i got to live through seeing him in "one more turn" ville. i did forgive him and eventually marry him tho, it'll be 11 years this june.

i read the civ2 manual oscar night (a couple days after he got the game) when he was SUPPOSED to be watching with me but was "one more turning" ... i was reallllllllllllllllly pissed. i am still bitter. he knows this. i love him anyway. he knows that too. the manual confused the heck out of me, i kept asking him 'what the heck is this, how do you do xyz' during commercials, he laughed and said he'd show me some day.

well, i tried it one day and eventually got more addicted than he was! we liked civ3 also, but not CTP, i really liked smac, and of course had to get civ4 the day it came out.

he's currently addicted to WoW tho :(

altho i didn't know it until visiting for christmas later that year, my father was a big-time civ2 addict too. he'd never modded the files, and when i told him some of what i'd done then i had to email him custom changes that he wanted *giggle*. my brother was hooked on 3 for a bit but his pc is too old for 4, poor guy.

My wife is currently playing Civ 4 on the other side of the room, and I was addicted to WoW for over 2 years :eek:

My wife is currently playing Civ 4 on the other side of the room, and I was addicted to WoW for over 2 years :eek:

good to know we're not the only ones in that situation, altho i feel sorry for your wife for the 2 years! for the sake of your wife, don't go back to WoW, at least for the moment. he can't pull away til he gets his former 60 to 70 (he hit 68 last night).

First time I met civ is when I watched my grandad play CivII. Played civ ever since.

Been playing since Civ 1, but I forget who introduced me to the game. SMAC was a big favorite... but to anyone that's not tried it yet I should warn--it's addictive, but there are some game-killing bugs that may lead you not to stay with it long. But the experience is worth it for a short time.

A mate of mine said I should try Civ1 in 93 on the commodore. Was hooked first game.

Civ3, being such a disappointment got me out of Civ. I went to CTP2 instead.

Soren Johnson brought me back to Civ4 by asking me to be a tester start of 2005, and been going strong on Civ4 since. :D

I remembered Civ 1 for the Super Nintendo and one day just decided to download the free CIV demo. Then I decided I had to have the game.

Way back in the early 1990's some guy gave me a bootleg copy of CIV I (yes, I was a bad boy...); I remember it fitting on two 3.5" floppy discs. Since I didn't have the game booklet, I had to guess the 'before game security questions' to play it. I remember the questions revolved around the tech tree.

I did buy the later releases and in fact, the CIV series is the only game series that I buy as soon as it's available. I'll wait on all other games until they're reduced in price or really cheap on Amazon or eBay - but not CIV!!!

I'll bet this is a new one...my sister's elementary school book fair. I was browsing through the games and what should I find but Civ 4?

I told my best friend all about it and she is dying to come over and play it now.

I was introduced to Civ1 back in the early nineties by the guy who ran the computer room at my college in Cambridge. He kindly lent me the floppies. I couldn't stop playing it. People would come into the room wanting to use the computers to work on their PhD theses and I would scowl and grudgingly let them have it (resisting the temptation to stand over them, watching them press every key until they'd finished). I was married at the time, and my wife never saw me. Needless to say, I was always hitting 'save' the moment I heard the door handle on the computer room turn...

I acquired Civ2 as soon as I could, and played it on the computer at work (my home computer not being up to it). I spent hours pretending to work (my screen faced away from the door, so my colleagues would pass by my office and see me frowning intently at the computer, believing me to be doing something very important... which, in a sense, I was).

Civ3 passed me by, largely because I had to move home several times after the break-up of my marriage and my resignation from the job (these events were not connected to my playing of Civ, I assure you). Last year I stumbled across the screenshots of Civ4 and my withdrawal therapist is now in despair ("I thought we'd cured him, he was doing so well - and now this...").

My current partner doesn't know I own it, so I can only play when she's out of the house.

Wow, so many memories in this thread -- Egghead Software! That's back in the *day*.

I started with CivII; a buddy of mine gave me a pirated copy (don't be mad Sid!) saying I just had to try it out. He was absolutely right, and I was hooked. Fast forward some 10 years through a few hundred hours of SMAC and CivIII, and here we are.

Oh man, just typing this makes me want to go play a game of SMAC. =) I wish Firaxis would tackle something like SMAC 2 next.

I really miss the Might and Magic Mod in CIV II. It was a blast! There was also a LOTR Mod that was really neat as well.

Top Bottom