So you only have one city?

NBAfan

boss
Here's a warning for other fellow newbies, if an AI civ only has one city, chances are they are just building lots of units with. Elisabeth just conquered two of my three cities with a surprise raid, and adding insult on to injury, Genghis Khan decides to attack me! This game is fun

Indeed. Montezuma sitting on one city and it is past T60 or so, it is 'cause he is pumping out Jags like crazy.

Even better is that when you take that one city, you're guilty of 'genocide' and the rest of the world immediately turns against you... Even before the whole concept of genocide is invented! I did this recently to take full control of Africa on the world map... Didn't realize how severe the penalty would be - literally every civ in the world denounced me within a few turns, slashed luxury payments in half and ofc, last but not least, refused to sign RAs just as I got Education researched with 2000 gold in the bank. :wallbash:

So, lesson for all the cool kids out there: before you take the last city of an AI civ, be sure to open the Ingame Editor and grant them a nice resort in the arctic ice (somewhere where the sun doesn't shine - how fitting), then make peace and gift them that city. 10 turns later your vermin problem will be over with no adverse repercussions... Trust me, genocide has never felt better! :goodjob: :king:

I once played a game in which Rome's final city happened to be on an island. After making peace with Rome, I promptly blockaded their borders with naval units and prevented any units from leaving the island. Ever.

Where is your army? I don't see any defending unit close by except one lancer. In the long run, France is doomed but he may take back Paris if your army is quite far. In another note, AI sometimes behave like this. Did Napoleon start the war with this sentence that " I know that I have no chance but I attack anyway" or something similar?

Even better is that when you take that one city, you're guilty of 'genocide' and the rest of the world immediately turns against you... Even before the whole concept of genocide is invented! I did this recently to take full control of Africa on the world map... Didn't realize how severe the penalty would be - literally every civ in the world denounced me within a few turns, slashed luxury payments in half and ofc, last but not least, refused to sign RAs just as I got Education researched with 2000 gold in the bank. :wallbash:

So, lesson for all the cool kids out there: before you take the last city of an AI civ, be sure to open the Ingame Editor and grant them a nice resort in the arctic ice (somewhere where the sun doesn't shine - how fitting), then make peace and gift them that city. 10 turns later your vermin problem will be over with no adverse repercussions... Trust me, genocide has never felt better! :goodjob: :king:

There's no need to do it in the world editor. Prior to your last war, found a throwaway city in the arctic and give it to them via trade.

There's no need to do it in the world editor. Prior to your last war, found a throwaway city in the arctic and give it to them via trade.
Sure, if you have access to the arctic. In the game that I screwed up I hadn't even researched the tech that lets you embark over oceans - besides, there are few islands on the Earth map within reasonable reach from Africa that are crappy enough for suitable St. Helenas for my enemies. :lol:

@Biologist: I like the way you think. :goodjob: It's really annoying how even 'defeated' civs continue to spam their scouts and settlers and god knows what to stop your armies from moving... Sure, you can stomp them but it can distract you when you're fighting with your real enemies.

One of my favorites was AI England catching me off guard after I whittled them down to 1 city. They waited patiently until Longbows then recaptured their initial 3 cities and took one of mine to boot. Always encouraging to see good play on the AIs part.

Have to make my obligatory note that wiping out an AI does not necessarily mean everyone will turn hostile to you. I have wiped out AI's before while still maintaining fair relationships on the same continent:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11920399&postcount=26

Not sure if it matters, but should add in that I think this was before the fall patch and the level was either king or emperor.

Top Bottom