Some observations/issues and questions

B.I.B

Chieftain
I'm currently playing a game on a SVN from early January (it could be late December) so some of these things might be solved already. But anyway, here goes.

Human Sacrifice not working
So I created the Human Sacrifice Worldview, built my sacrifice altar(s) but I can't sacrifice Captives (in this case military captives), so I assume this is broken in the same way as Cannibalism (where you can create the worldview but can not eat people)

POW transport working for any unit
I built a horseman to use for transporting POW which works great (you know the upgrade looking like a chain) however I was a bit sursprised when I noticed that I could also transport general troops with the same unit. Seems a bit silly when I can take my Mammoth Ridersd and pack them onto my horsemen, isn't the promotion supposed to make it so that it is only possible to transport POWs?

Animals and Sleeping Great persons assassinated
This has happened to me before in other games as well, but I haven't bothered with posting anything. Recently I got an Exile in my capital and either in one strike or over the course of some turns he has assassinated (I think) almost all my animals (like 30) and a sleeping Great Hunter. I think it is cool that they can, but I have two issues with it. First of all I got no notification at all that it happened meaning that I can't pinpoint when it happened either. Secondly I've never had the possibility to do that same type of assassination (if that is what has happened) when I've had an Exile stationed in someone else's city so that has me wondering a bit on what happened.

Lurking criminals notification
I know that there has been talk about getting notified when a rouge criminal spawns in one of your cities. Would it also be possible to get a notification when the amount of lurking criminals in a city changes (either up or down), as it is now I need to (but don't have the energy to) check my cities defense info every turn to see if there's a criminal that has managed to get past my defenses (dogs) unnoticed. It would be really nice if I could get a notification whenever I get (or lose) a lurking criminal in a city

Autobuilding notifications
It might be that I am getting these but they are lost in the flow of events in the top part of the screen, otherwise I'd like to raise a request for getting notifies when Autobuildings related to tourism, Education, Crime and Disease are built or removed in my cities (like we already get with housing)

OP Cats
Cats are very very fun and I really like them as a unit. However I find it rather OP that I can merge cat into super cats, that doesn't really feel right?

Regarding notifications
a lot of the events that Civ actually tell you about are notified in the brief text in the top of the screen. While I understand that that works fine for most people I would really appreciate the option to get that info as popups in the start of my round instead (either one popup telling me all events for the turn or one popup per event). I don't mean that I want popups for stuff like my X killing unit Y when I initated that attack in my own turn but for stuff that are informed in the beginning of the turn (like city X growing or expanding culture or similar), especially since me and my friend plays with minimizedf AI turns which removes a lot of info on what happens between my turns and also that we hot seat (which means that only one of us actually get to see what happens between turns).

Notifications on finding resources
Some imporovements (most of them it seems) have a small chance of finding resources (for example a mine can find diamonds), as far as I've seen there is no information to me as a player when that happens though so I could go several turns without knowing that I've found a new and perhaps needed resource (especially in the case where the improvement finding the resource isn't the same type of improvement that harvests the resource).

Notifications on gaining/losing resources
In some cases you might gain or lose a resource without you being the cause of this (for example due to a cut trtade connection or a resource popping in a mine or similar). It would be really nice if I as a player could get notified when I gain or lose a resource.

Notifications on trade connectivity between cities and civs
It would also be nice to get notified whenever one of my cities gain or lose trade connectivity to the rest of my empire. And also be notified when my civ gains or loses trade connectivity to another civ.

And big thanks to all current, past and future modders of C2C, it is more or less the only game I play on my PC and I play it a lot!

I'm currently playing a game on a SVN from early January (it could be late December) so some of these things might be solved already. But anyway, here goes.

Human Sacrifice not working
So I created the Human Sacrifice Worldview, built my sacrifice altar(s) but I can't sacrifice Captives (in this case military captives), so I assume this is broken in the same way as Cannibalism (where you can create the worldview but can not eat people)

It happened when we moved into the optional bit of core. Different bits needed to split into different places. It is on my list of things to get done as I leave.

Regarding notifications
a lot of the events that Civ actually tell you about are notified in the brief text in the top of the screen. While I understand that that works fine for most people I would really appreciate the option to get that info as popups in the start of my round instead (either one popup telling me all events for the turn or one popup per event). I don't mean that I want popups for stuff like my X killing unit Y when I initated that attack in my own turn but for stuff that are informed in the beginning of the turn (like city X growing or expanding culture or similar), especially since me and my friend plays with minimizedf AI turns which removes a lot of info on what happens between my turns and also that we hot seat (which means that only one of us actually get to see what happens between turns).

I have felt that the whole notification box has been in need of an upgrade for quite some time. For instance it would be nice if your current quests informed you how you were going with them.

POW transport working for any unit
I built a horseman to use for transporting POW which works great (you know the upgrade looking like a chain) however I was a bit sursprised when I noticed that I could also transport general troops with the same unit. Seems a bit silly when I can take my Mammoth Ridersd and pack them onto my horsemen, isn't the promotion supposed to make it so that it is only possible to transport POWs?
Yeah, that's not right. Please report that in the bugs and crashes thread so it gets on my to-do list there. I hadn't confirmed it but I THOUGHT something was wrong here.

Animals and Sleeping Great persons assassinated
This has happened to me before in other games as well, but I haven't bothered with posting anything. Recently I got an Exile in my capital and either in one strike or over the course of some turns he has assassinated (I think) almost all my animals (like 30) and a sleeping Great Hunter. I think it is cool that they can, but I have two issues with it. First of all I got no notification at all that it happened meaning that I can't pinpoint when it happened either. Secondly I've never had the possibility to do that same type of assassination (if that is what has happened) when I've had an Exile stationed in someone else's city so that has me wondering a bit on what happened.
Pretty sure this was solved. It was not an intentional effect but a bug.

Lurking criminals notification
I know that there has been talk about getting notified when a rouge criminal spawns in one of your cities. Would it also be possible to get a notification when the amount of lurking criminals in a city changes (either up or down), as it is now I need to (but don't have the energy to) check my cities defense info every turn to see if there's a criminal that has managed to get past my defenses (dogs) unnoticed. It would be really nice if I could get a notification whenever I get (or lose) a lurking criminal in a city
I get why you want this but I feel it's a little too much of a cheat for the player to get such a notice. It's already a bit of a cheat just to be able to see the count change, which I figured was fine if a player wanted to be that controlling about it that they would check so regularly. We don't get notices when spies enter our cities, for good reason. I want opponent criminals to be a little more dangerous and harder to realize are causing trouble.

Autobuilding notifications
It might be that I am getting these but they are lost in the flow of events in the top part of the screen, otherwise I'd like to raise a request for getting notifies when Autobuildings related to tourism, Education, Crime and Disease are built or removed in my cities (like we already get with housing)
I'll take a look at that soon. I agree it would be helpful. The Outbreaks and Afflictions system is setup to notify once it gets into use.

OP Cats
Cats are very very fun and I really like them as a unit. However I find it rather OP that I can merge cat into super cats, that doesn't really feel right?
I believe it's been fixed that they cannot merge or split now. Same with Canines. I still think they need to have their ability to attack cities nerfed some as well.

Regarding notifications
Not sure how we could achieve that but you can always pull up your player log, scroll down to previous notifications, doubleclick on the text of that notification and the screen will take you to the spot it was referring to. I often have to use the player log in a round.

Notifications on finding resources
Some imporovements (most of them it seems) have a small chance of finding resources (for example a mine can find diamonds), as far as I've seen there is no information to me as a player when that happens though so I could go several turns without knowing that I've found a new and perhaps needed resource (especially in the case where the improvement finding the resource isn't the same type of improvement that harvests the resource).
There should be a notification on this. Is there possibly a bug setting that's off that's denying you this notification?

Notifications on gaining/losing resources
In some cases you might gain or lose a resource without you being the cause of this (for example due to a cut trtade connection or a resource popping in a mine or similar). It would be really nice if I as a player could get notified when I gain or lose a resource.
This would be nice. At some point I'll have to take a look into setting up such a notification.

Notifications on trade connectivity between cities and civs
It would also be nice to get notified whenever one of my cities gain or lose trade connectivity to the rest of my empire. And also be notified when my civ gains or loses trade connectivity to another civ.
I like this idea too. I'm not sure where this takes place in the code and how easy it would be to code the trigger because there are so many ways to establish trade connectivity but it's worth looking at sometime soon. On these last two, it'll probably be quite a while before I can find the time to address them but your help is certainly moving me towards a time when I have enough room for minor projects like these.

Thank you for all your answers.

As for the notification on criminals entering your city that wish was solely based on the assassination of sleeping units. Since that was a bug and has been solved I do not wish to be notified anymore, I fully agree that it is up to me to scrutinize my empire to notice it.

Two more things noticed though:

1. The spawning of barbarians seems off
Tech wize the whole world in our current game is just around the change from Ancient to Classic, but the barbarians spawn units that come from far ahead in the tech tree. This only seems to be spawns and not the units that they build though. In the end of the Stone-age BArbarians started spawning Swordmen and Axemen ... not too off to disrupt anything. But last night when we played I encountered barabarian Musketmen and those are way further down the tech tree than any of the civs have come. I was always under the assumptions that the BArbarian spawns techlevel was based on the current techlevel of the world, but perhaps I'm wrong?

2. No one seems to be able to build recon units
Neither me nor my friend can build any Scouts or Guides, and I don't think any of the other civs can either since I've only seen barbarian version of them ever.

And just to remind you, we are playing an older SVN (dec/jan) so of course these might be bugs that have been sorted already.

See the v37 Update/Patch thread for an SVN version from early April if you are not using the SVN to update regularly. It's a Full Mod SVN version I put up for non-SVN users.

I was always under the assumptions that the BArbarian spawns techlevel was based on the current techlevel of the world, but perhaps I'm wrong?
Incorrect, but it should be. It's currently based on actual year. It will be a project this version cycle to correct that.
No one seems to be able to build recon units
Neither me nor my friend can build any Scouts or Guides, and I don't think any of the other civs can either since I've only seen barbarian version of them ever.
Interesting. That will take some investigation. If you turn on the ability to see units you cannot train in the buildlist you can often see what's stopping you from training a unit you think you should be able to train. Is there a red line on the latest recon unit explaining why you can't train that unit at the moment?

T-brd it's the version B.I.B is using. This issue was brought up last fall and corrected. And it may have been a cache problem too iirc.

Players from v36 not clearing their cache when they started new v37 games.

See the v37 Update/Patch thread for an SVN version from early April if you are not using the SVN to update regularly. It's a Full Mod SVN version I put up for non-SVN users.
Thanks a lot for the info. I am an SVN user, but I never update SVN during an ongoing game though (and our games usually takes months, many months)

Reagarding the scouts I did set the filter to show all untrainable units as well but there where no scouts or guides in the list at all. I am fairly certain that I cleared the cache before we started the current game, but since I'm not 100% positive let's just leave it at that.

As for the barbarians I can see that really messing up our current game :) The world is around Ancient/Classical but the year is 1555 AD ... I can really see that we'll have some interesting Barbarian conflicts later on. Thanks for the clarification

I am an SVN user, but I never update SVN during an ongoing game though (and our games usually takes months, many months)

I strongly suggest you update that game. Because most likely it will eventually CTD on you if you don't.

What SVN build does the mouse over on your Empire Flag reveal?

I strongly suggest you update that game. Because most likely it will eventually CTD on you if you don't.

What SVN build does the mouse over on your Empire Flag reveal?

To be honest it will most likely CTD on me if I update my SVN as well ... that's part of the deal.
But the journey up until that point where it is no longer playable is so enjoyable so even with the knowledge that I'll never finish a game it is still the best game ever and one of only a few a play. Been playing since v17 (I think that was the first one I downloaded) and it just keeps getting better.

To be honest it will most likely CTD on me if I update my SVN as well ... that's part of the deal.
But the journey up until that point where it is no longer playable is so enjoyable so even with the knowledge that I'll never finish a game it is still the best game ever and one of only a few a play. Been playing since v17 (I think that was the first one I downloaded) and it just keeps getting better.

Your choice obviously. ;) But Imho I think you could update and continue, unless this is a MP game.

Ah v17 the olden days of C2C, so much change since then.

Your choice obviously. ;) But Imho I think you could update and continue, unless this is a MP game.

Ah v17 the olden days of C2C, so much change since then.
Depends on if you'd classify Hot seat as MP ... I only play C2C in Hot seat.

Depends on if you'd classify Hot seat as MP ... I only play C2C in Hot seat.
So you're biggest fear is that by Updating the game you will break it. If you peruse the SVN changelog thread on a regular basis you would know when and what SVN version might cause you problems. But it would also help you in making timely updates to fix and correct things in the build you are using.

So you're biggest fear is that by Updating the game you will break it. If you peruse the SVN changelog thread on a regular basis you would know when and what SVN version might cause you problems. But it would also help you in making timely updates to fix and correct things in the build you are using.

Nah, it's more that we simply accept the flaws that every game brings and like the feeling of playing a brand new game every time that we start a new one (and update SVN). since our games are rather long the changes are often so massive that it is like abrand new game :)

Nah, it's more that we simply accept the flaws that every game brings and like the feeling of playing a brand new game every time that we start a new one (and update SVN). since our games are rather long the changes are often so massive that it is like abrand new game :)
I can understand that. ;)

Another thing we just stumbled upon was the requirements to build tame horses being a bit off (don't know if this goes for other tame anumals as well.

One of us has his civ on an island where there are no horses, but there are elephants. All of a sudden he was able to build tame horses in his capital which we found rather strange, so we looked up the tame horse in the civopedia.
Apparently the Tame horse doesn't require the resource horse to be built. Thanks to having an animal taming complaex and a stable (which the elephants allowed him to get) he could all of a sudden build tame horses and thereby get a new2 riding animal that he had no access to resource wise.

While this is strange, please keep in mind that there are still a lot of advantages of horses compared to other riding animals. Other mounted units are available at least up to medieval, but the incredibly important Riding School requires horses. If it is made harder to get horses (and yes, this is an exploit), the requirements for Riding School should also be reviewed, especially because horses are already a very fast mount.

Another thing we just stumbled upon was the requirements to build tame horses being a bit off (don't know if this goes for other tame anumals as well.

One of us has his civ on an island where there are no horses, but there are elephants. All of a sudden he was able to build tame horses in his capital which we found rather strange, so we looked up the tame horse in the civopedia.
Apparently the Tame horse doesn't require the resource horse to be built. Thanks to having an animal taming complaex and a stable (which the elephants allowed him to get) he could all of a sudden build tame horses and thereby get a new2 riding animal that he had no access to resource wise.
That is a bug. There are quite a few bugs in the tamed animals at the moment.

Some more observations/errors

1) Some of my neighbours Assassins have started come into my land and naturally I have a hard time spotting them (as should be). However, the Assassins are pillaging my improvements, should they really be able to do that? I thought that was for bandit riders and such?

2) Tourism seems to be broken, although both me and my friend have cities that should get tourism levels and have researched Classical lifestyle we do not get the autobuildings, am I missing something about Tourism?

3) The only way to produce flour seems to be the Quern, and that one requires Stone. I find it hard to believe (although I'm history expert in any sense) that quality Stone would be the only way to produce Flour? Shouldn't it at least be possible having Prime timber as well (I picture some form of hollowed log with a bottom being used to "thump" Grain into Flour for example?)

Top Bottom