Some preliminary planning for DGVII

At this rate demogame 7 will never start if we never compromise, but then again, if we revert back to a regular Emperor game with nothing new or interesting, perhaps that is good.

Another idea for a variant rule:

We have to use every government type at least once. Style points for using specific advantages of that government type. More style points for weaving this into roleplay somehow. ["Style points" are completely imaginary rewards. We could have an Office of Style Points that hands out smilies or so :)].
This doesn't make the game a lot harder, but it will make for some variation. And I've never used Feudalism or Fascism :).

I like DS idea of rotating DP duty.

Strider said:
You've already contractdicted yourself, you say we need to stop fighting. Yet you start shoving the past into others faces.

I was trying to aim my comment at the behavior that we need to avoid, instead of blaming it on anyone specific -- that's why I left names out of the entire post. There are two other people who were referred to indirectly, one of whom may not even be looking at the forum anymore and the other by definition has to be looking at it pretty much every day. I hope that person follows my advice. ;) I'm still not going to give names and expect others to honor that unless the recipients of advice choose to "out" themselves.

Saying "The individual thus paraphrased will undoubtably say that is not what was meant, but the dictionary meanings of the words are clear enough." is not conductive to interpersonal harmony either, but hey, it's all part of the symmetry right? If every moment connects to the next and every moment affects you, then why potentially do something that won't connect?

Actually I seem to have gotton through this time. You did say what I paraphrased in other words, and it seems like you're effectively saying now that you don't plan to do it again. Case closed, sorry for bringing it up but I had to try to shut down the drumbeat of "why do we need to change it again" that was starting up.

I'm going to be sending you a PM shortly (after this post), that summarizes what I think we need to work on constitution wise. Over the next month we can work on a constitution together and have it ready for the discussion on the next game.

Good idea, thanks! Part of me wants to handle it the way Ravensfire did (nothing wrong with this BTW) and give someone else a shot at being the chief instigator, part of me wants to collaborate on advance work even though it means risking having others see me as the bad guy if it goes wrong.

On rotating DPs
That idea fell through because of lack of attention, not from opposition. I supported that idea from the start.

I don't think you were the biggest naysayer on rotating DPs, in fact can't remember if you said anything in opposition specifically on that idea. The problem is that if you (the generic term not you personally) make blanket statements about not liking the entire setup then that gets picked up by others and fuels their opposition of specific items.

I propose the following truce: We won't bash the other system or the other participants. We won't make sweeping generalizations like "DG2 being the glory days", but instead will focus on exactly what was good about the past and what was bad. If there is something we don't like, we'll say why we don't like it and if others don't get the point we'll try to get the point across instead of dropping into a "they just don't understand me" shell. Any other ground rules you want to suggest, or any of these you can't live with?

DaveShack said:
I propose the following truce: We won't bash the other system or the other participants. We won't make sweeping generalizations like "DG2 being the glory days", but instead will focus on exactly what was good about the past and what was bad. If there is something we don't like, we'll say why we don't like it and if others don't get the point we'll try to get the point across instead of dropping into a "they just don't understand me" shell. Any other ground rules you want to suggest, or any of these you can't live with?

Deal, now lets just get started.

I would like to create a list of options for making the next game something other than ordinary single-player civ. I don't want to discuss the options right now, just get a list. There is a method to my madness, but it is really important at this point in time that all options get on the table on an equal footing before we go further, at least to the extent that is possible.

This might go into a separate thread depending on how much data comes in.

• Play using a conquest
  • Use a full-blown mod
  • Always War and variants
  • 5CC and variants
  • Miscellaneous self-imposed restrictions (see previous posts on winning the hard way, e.g. military victory with small military, etc.)
  • Higher difficulty
  • Custom rules
  • Custom map
  • Mandatory roleplay (discussions, polls in imaginary citizen terms, game play references prohibited)

DaveShack said:
Play using a conquest

I like this idea, I've never really bothered with the conquests much. The Middle Ages or Napoleanic Era will be fun. The rise of Rome will also make for a great game.

Think of the roleplay possibilities also. Instead of being spread of several hundred years, we will be confined to short periods of less than a hundred years.

It also comes without alot of the cons:

No download needed to get them
There not strange or limiting like 5cc or alot of other varients
I haven't seen any team plays for the conquests, although I might be wrong. While I'm sure many people may have worn out the conquest solo wise, a team environment might be fun.

A few to add of my own for DGVII:

• 2 PC Civs Game (allied vs AI)
  • Rotating DP based on CoC (president doesn't have to play every time)
  • Every citzens will be mayor and we don't build more cities than there are mayors available. RPG and gameplay
  • If there are not enough mayors, citzens can become military commanders (be commanders of a trooper or two) RPG

This is all I can come up with for now but more will come :)

DaveShack said:
Forgot to mention multi-team as another variant. :cool:
nice idea, we could just use the multi team dg for Demogame 7, we can have lots of roleplay in shared public forums during wars...

I am all for conquests scenario, either Napoleonic or WW2 Pacific.

I don't like the idea of doing conquests. Everything's all laid out for us. We'll be playing as Rome or France, not CFC. Plus, the conquests each have a time limit, and you know what that means - number crunching. Role playing will go out the window when we only have fifty turns to destroy the Empire of Japan. I am against doing any conquest for DGVII.

However, a four team CFC cut throat PBEM would be quite fun.

I second RegentMan here. In a conquest, you know the map layout, you know where resources are, you know how many units each civ has at the beginning of the game, where they are, when cities are going to expand for the AI. It is not random at all, eliminating the suprise element that the game should have.

Doing Princess or other type of victory will be cool to do. Adds some roleplaying for that one.

Also open up the game to be played by more people than just the president will help a lot too. Reduce the work load as much as possible. Elect mayors for cities for the the entire game rather than in terms.

These are all the wonderful choices we can do. Any more wonderful ideas?

Capture the Princess is known to have bugs from time to time. I'm not sure if it'll be a bug-free game...

Chieftess said:
Capture the Princess is known to have bugs from time to time. I'm not sure if it'll be a bug-free game...

I am sure that is WON'T be a bug free game. The biggest bug we need fixing is US. :lol:

Seeing as how Civ IV releases in the near future, I'd say keep it womewhat short- but long enough to be dignified as the last DG for Civ III. =P

Put the Space Race as a victory condition, I've always liked that victory movie =P It also opens up an interesting roleplaying idea (cold war, race to the moon, anyone?)

Ah yeah, I'll be here for DG VII.

Top Bottom