• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Some questions about BIOS updating

Corlindale

Emperor
I've been having a lot of trouble with my recently purchased Geforce 6600 AGP graphics card, and have almost tried everything to get it working correctly.

One of the most promising suggestions still remaining to me is to upgrade my BIOS flash file, since both the card manual and several other sources recommends it. My pc is also fairly old, almost 3½ years.

However, I don't know much about the process, and right now I have some trouble locating the right flash file for my particular motherboard. It's a SiS648 Mb, and the pc was manufactured by Fujitsu Siemens. When I go to the official page of FS and input my pc's serial number, trying to download the BIOS flash file there causes IE(and other browsers) to crash. Furthermore, the instructions for it are in German, so I'm fairly unsure whether this is the one for my system.

How do I find out what BIOS file I need? I hear using the wrong one can destroy my system, and I'd naturally prefer to avoid that.

Firstly: get holf of the bios updating utility and make a dump of your current bios.

You can easily tell the bios name / version and compare it with the one you've downloaded to ensure you have the right one.

example: gigabyte uses F to represent version
biosname : GT093666F6 (version 6)
biosname : GT093666F12 (version 12)

Then simply flash your bios with the utilility. If anything goes badly
uhhhh grab a pci videocard and reflash the orginal bios back.

Then simply flash your bios with the utilility. If anything goes badly
uhhhh grab a pci videocard and reflash the orginal bios back.

Uh, not quite. If you manage to kill something during a BIOS flash, you're SOL until you get a new motherboard or a replacement CMOS chip (if you can get one). Screwed up BIOS = dead comp. Just be sure that you don't accidentally cancel the flash after it's started writing to the CMOS, and that the comp doesn't lose power.

Top Bottom