Some suggestions (Rise of Mankind)

Camarada78

Chieftain
Hi,
this is my first thread. Hail to you all! :-D

I'm playing Civ 4 for a while, and recently i installed Rise of Mankind (freaking awesome!).

I have lots of good suggestions to this great mod (RoM).

1. Dynamic Population Demands

I think population wishes are poorly manifested, even in the great mod RoM. They mostly get angry or happy thats all, or they start revolution (if you opted for that) or they turn into a barbarian city, the city gets revolted (all variations of the same aspect, they are unhappy the city will revolt).

I was thinking in something more deep, like this:

Ex 1:

Lets say that Lincoln, leader of a rival Civ, makes a threat against your civ demanding some tech. Immediately some people get angry in your cities: "Do something about arrogant Lincoln". If you do nothing for too long, some events like:

"People in your Capital City are persecuting foreign american citizens". Causing a diplomatic problem with Lincoln.

That could culminate in extremes events like: "The angered citizens of your capital city have mis-declared war against Lincoln". And so your civ starts a war against your wishes.

Ex 2:

If there are other civ units in one of your cities, population gets angry:

"We demand that foreign forces leave town".

This could grow into "The population of City Y is randomly attacking foreign troops" causing a major Diplomatic crisis with that civ.

Ex 3:

You discover a new civic. Randomly people will get angry if you do not adopt that (something like that already happens actually). But if a great number of people are asking for that your civ gets into Anarchy and you auto-change to that Civic.

Ex 4:

You have unhealthy in a city for a while. People will start to complain. If that persists they will sabotage production on that city until you make building with health bonus.

2. Conspiration Nets
A new function to spying and spies. Spies can build Conspirations Cells in foreign cities, adding Spying bonuses. With one Conspiration Cell in the Capital and one in 5 big cities, a spy can declare Revolution and create a new Civ replacing that one.

3. Transferred Settler:

Your settler can go into an existing city and raise by +1 the population creating a +5 unhealthy for 10 of turns).

4. Colonizer Settler:

You could take your settler into a foreign civ town and raise its population but at the same time spreading lots of your culture. That can create diplomatic problems.

5. Political Police

A unit that when consumed enables you to change civics without anarchy but add lots of unhappiness through your civ.

6. Concentration Camps

A "national wonder" building.

All cities in the continent with foreign/barbarian influence gets -1 population but vanish foreign influence and gets 100% of your culture.

During peace:
+100% unhappiness in the city where it is made.
+50% unhappiness in nearby cities.
+15% production

During War:
+50% unhappiness in the city where it is made
+15% unhappiness in nearby cities.
+30% production

- requires slavery
- Requires nationalism

7. Barbarian Advisor
Unit dedicated to "civilize" barbarians. Working similar as a Spy but against barbarian cities. Can steal technology, spread culture, sabotage unit and building.

8. Refugees
When a nation conquers a city, a minor population boost happens in nearby cities, showed by an event: "Refugees from conquered City W are joining your city X". Adding lots of unhealthiness and unhappiness for long periods.

You should first make yourself familiar with what to post where.

This section is for mods, i.e. every thread should have a downloadable mod in it.

As these are suggestions for RoM, you should have posted them in the RoM thread.

As to the concentration camp, there should be moe loss, potentially depending on the % of foreign culture, otherwise you could just conquer a foreign city, build a camp and have it all converted to your culture. So maybe it should be something like city size * foreign culture % + 2, just to make it a pain in this scenario.

Hi, this is my first thread. Hail to you all! :-D

Welcome to the club. I liked the most of your ideas, but I must say we share a flaw: we dream too high! :) I think some of your ideas would be very very hard to implement, but...

3. Transferred Settler:

Your settler can go into an existing city and raise by +1 the population creating a +5 unhealthy for 10 of turns).

4. Colonizer Settler:

You could take your settler into a foreign civ town and raise its population but at the same time spreading lots of your culture. That can create diplomatic problems.

8. Refugees
When a nation conquers a city, a minor population boost happens in nearby cities, showed by an event: "Refugees from conquered City W are joining your city X". Adding lots of unhealthiness and unhappiness for long periods.

Some time ago, I read the thread about a mod for Vanilla called Immigration, and together with these ideas of yours (3,4 and 8) it would be a great addition to the realism of RoM.

@mamba, don't be so hard... Welcome the new guy properly. :)
Not every thread in the modmod forum has a downloadable modmod, there are some threads for modmods' projects and suggestions too.

Some time ago, I read the thread about a mod for Vanilla called Immigration, and together with these ideas of yours (3,4 and 8) it would be a great addition to the realism of RoM.

It's in the main WOC pack, if you want to download it. However, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to work with RoM. I'm not sure why, but it wasn't high on my priorities list.

sorry for posting on the wrong section. The Civfanatics is a hufe forum, i got lost. If someone can move i will be glad.

PS:Sorry for the reply 8 months later - i got really busy.

Just to comment at my own post.

I know some are hard, but many there might fit into "Events" not proper changes of dynamics.

"People in your Capital City are persecuting foreign american citizens". This is similar to the "failed marriage" that happens from time to time.

"We demand that foreign forces leave town". These are common 'justifications' for unhappyness, can generate a simple event.

"You have unhealthy in a city for a while. People will start to complain." This could lead to another idea: major disease and contamination. Like Black Plague or Ebola. An event too.

sorry again, can someone move this?

Necromancy is not recommended!

Mainly because the dynamics of these entire forums have changed. 8 month ago, I had no programming experience and was still using XML only, 2.71 (or 2.61, I forget) was out, and we were still recovering from the 3.19 patch's fallout.

Fast forward to today; Zappara is looking to wrap up RoM with a 3.0 final release, modmod's for RoM have taken off, and Civ5 got announced...

Anyway,

The Barbarian Advisor got made as another mod componet for BTS... I forget where, but I remember reading about it. The internment camp is a good idea, but the stat's are terrible. No way I would build it.

sorry for posting on the wrong section. The Civfanatics is a hufe forum, i got lost. If someone can move i will be glad.

PS:Sorry for the reply 8 months later - i got really busy.

Just to comment at my own post.

I know some are hard, but many there might fit into "Events" not proper changes of dynamics.

"People in your Capital City are persecuting foreign american citizens". This is similar to the "failed marriage" that happens from time to time.

"We demand that foreign forces leave town". These are common 'justifications' for unhappyness, can generate a simple event.

"You have unhealthy in a city for a while. People will start to complain." This could lead to another idea: major disease and contamination. Like Black Plague or Ebola. An event too.

sorry again, can someone move this?

Ebola, seriously? I doubt anyone wants to have 80% of their city die with no chance to stop it

Top Bottom