Some Tips on using Poser to make Units

Gah! It's impossible Kinboat, I was trying to, but these 'Camera Dots' built up on me so much it would only play the first 8 frames...and also only render those. Bloody Poser.

Don't know quite what the problem is... One thing, if you look at the bottom of the animation pallete there should be a little slide bar that tells poser what frames to render. It could be you haven't moved the end to encompass all your frames.

And when I made the animation, I group the files with Jasc?

No once you render the images you can put them into Flicster storyboards using Steph's SBB program (available on the boards somewhere) and FLICster. Both programs have threads that explain their workings.

When you select the 'Body' part of a figure you can go to the dials at the side and rotate the Y-axis (?) 45 degrees. I only do this in the first frame and then clear the 'Body' row of key-frames in the animation palette so it doesn't accidently rotate later in the animation. I start out with the rotate dial at 325 degrees (SW) then 0 (S) then 45 (SE) 90 (E) 135 (NE) 180 (N) 225 (NW) 270 (W).

Hi Kinboat,

just downloaded your default set up. Maybe I use it wrong (very likely) but I don't have human figure anymore, only a pink (it is Civ3 background pink, isn't it ?) with a white column and no green ball :D :o . Did I miss something ? I thought it was a blank model for use for Civ3 units ?

Please if you answer me, ilagine you talk to your "very" little sister who knows nothing about 3D or even graphics in general :)

OK, I got both working at the same time.
But no green ball (maybe it is because I use Poser 5 ?).

So now I am a bit lost. I thought I would just need to add elements (cloth, etc...) but when I select them they just replace the former picture.

Any possibility to have a step by step instruction manual from Kinboat ? !!! like what I must do in a certain order in order not to waste something I have done forgetting a step on the way...

When you want to add a second figure there should be another button at the bottom of the figure Library. In Poser 4 the first button looks like a check mark, the second button is two checkmarks. The first one will replace the figure you already have the second button will just add the second figure to the scene.

In my updated scene I might not have the green ball anymore (don't quite remember :) ) Plus it was only there as a guide to give you the center of the scene. Well I usually load up the default and then import the figure.
Hope this is understandable, if not I'll try to explain it again :)

Thanks for the one mark/two marks.
I start to figure it out.

Obviously no green ball anymore but a different view (which is good then).

Next questions :) :

- I can finish modelling before adding, changing anything else, right ?
- I have downloaded some free stuff from the net (swords, hemets,...). Where do I put them so that they appear in the list of usable items ?
- how can i add (change globally or only on a part) color to say a piece of cloth ?
- how can I change globally the color (for a black or for an Indian for instance) ?
- what male form did you choose for your units ?

Sorry to bother you so much. I haven't messed with palettes, rendering (no idea what it is yet ;) ) but from what I have seen it looks kind of easier than copy/pasting (and with much better results if I look at your units).

I am back ... already.

Figured how to make downloadable stuff appear in the list :goodjob: (I really need self-congratulations) BUT very few (2% ?) are actually usable directly. :o
Many I can actually import (they are all 3DS files) but they are definitely complicated to use (resize, put at the right place "by hand",...). Is there no way to make them directly usable.

Side note : where did you find all your cloth for your units. got a good place for downloading, made them yourself, select an existing shape then change color/texture yourself to fit your needs ?

BTW : the manual is not specially for dummies. The direct help is even less easy to use.:(

The problem with some of downloadable props and stuff is that they were made for popular figures like Victoria or Michael (I'm sure you have saw a lot of "for Vicky 3.9 / Mike 2.0" ) You can try to conform the clothes to the unit, but something the figure just mess put (like some kimono clothes I downloaded but they don't work properly :cry: )

About the 3DS files, IMHO it's easier to use the numeric commands to rezise than the tool itself.

Getting Michael 2 and Daz Tunic will be your best investment possible after the Poser itself. And they're 30% off till 20-something February. 90% of male clothes are for M2, and Tunic can serve as most ancient and medieval clothing, including chainmail. The original Poser figures aren't very friendly.

@ the Slayer : Ok :( About resize, what/where are the numeric commands ? And what happens if you put a 3DS helmet in the right position when I animate the guy. Will it move too ? Or do I need to "link" the elmet with the head somehow (the actual somehow would deeply interest me lol).

@ embryodead : :( :eek: You mean I have to buy stuff !!!!!
Arghhhhh !

Before that I need to try one or two things I guess since I won't pay for something I might not know how to use.
But OK, I will try looking for this stuff anyway to see what it is at least.

Man I did not know it was that expensive to create free units !

And what about creating some elements (like an Egyptian shield or an Indian headdress for instance) ? What do I need to create those ? PSP ? Poser itself ?
Did you (units makers) made a pool with some free stuff or stuff you created personally ?:p

@ all : where is the tool to shrink the size to 95 % and should I do that before or after I put the clothes on ?

I consider M2 absolutely essential, and when you have it, suddently you can use hundreds of free (and not) items for this model.
The easiest way to create specific elements is to find them on the internet ;) ie. on Renderosity.com , Runtimedna.com and Daz3D.com free archives. If you want to create models yourself, you need to open another pandora's box :) - 3D modelling software (ie. 3DS, Cinema4D, Rhino, POVRay, Lightwave), which Poser isn't. PSP might be handy for making textures, but that's all.

Once you have a 3DS prop (helmet whatever) positioned where you want it you can then save it under the prop list in the Library... Then when you want to use that prop in another figure you can just add it from the list instead of re-importing and resizing it. Also you need to parent the props to the body part they move with. A helmet once positioned can be parented to the Head and then it will move with the head from then on.
Lately I have been creating all my own props in 3DSMax I have a thread posted somewhere here that has my base figure and a few loin-cloths.

@ Kinboat : cool.

Do you use M2 or do you use a standard Poser figure yourself.
Where is the "parent" tool ? Is it the "grouping tool" button ?

Any clue where that thread would be ? :king:

Originally posted by embryodead
I consider M2 absolutely essential, and when you have it, suddently you can use hundreds of free (and not) items for this model.
The easiest way to create specific elements is to find them on the internet ;) ie. on Renderosity.com , Runtimedna.com and Daz3D.com free archives. If you want to create models yourself, you need to open another pandora's box :) - 3D modelling software (ie. 3DS, Cinema4D, Rhino, POVRay, Lightwave), which Poser isn't. PSP might be handy for making textures, but that's all.

Daz : I have been there but did not find free archives, found only the weekly free stuff. Did I miss something ?

And what happens if you use stuff for M2 or V3 with another model ?

Pardon my questions ! If it gets you mad, just fire me :p !

Top Bottom