Song of Ice and Fire Mod | Introduction

no one cares?

alpha release will be on monday, august the 16th
probably not finished will be (will be available in beta release):
diplomacy texts
some events won't be reworked, no new events
no balancing (some civs will be more powerful than others)
no marriage/hostages feature
spell system won't be thoroughly reworked
perhaps no scenarios
just 1 westeros map

I care about that announcement! That's awesome news dewell. I can't wait to see what you've come up with.

here a little foretaste of what is to come

You see a scenario quite similar to the beginning of the books :)
House Baratheon is in possession of King's Landing where you can see the Red Keep and next to it the Alchemist's Guild. The city is guarded by 3 Kingsguards (the white guy behind the Red Keep). When you look close you can see that the religions of the Old Gods (green leaf) and the Seven (red crown with asterisk) ... the asterisk means that it's the religion was founded in this city.

• Southwest of King's Landing you can see "The Knight of Flowers" of House Tyrell.
  • North of it is the "Kingslayer" of House Lannister surrounded by Direwolves and Syrio Forel of House Stark.
  • East of the city you see some naval units of Baratheon and Lannister.
  • In the far northwest you can see the God's Eye and Harrenhal owned by Tully (not really genuine huh? ;)) and occupied by Bolton crossbowmen.
  • East of God's Eye you see Vargo Hoat and below him some "Brave Companions", perhaps you recognize at least the jester :p
  • Southeast of King's Landing is the Kingswood with deer resources.
  • The fortified roads leading out of King's Landing are the "Kingsroad" which is a national wonder. If you build this wonder you are able to build a Great Roadbuilder (just one at a time) you can create this special road (very time consuming) The brown roads are the common ones.
  • Wildfire effect (green fire on water tiles) not yet implemented
  • Civilopedia hints and advices not reworked
  • several "mana of ..." resources from FfH2 still ingame (but not accessible) ... will be reworked because I want a clean Civilopedia

awesome :goodjob:

This is great dewell, another one if you need people for tha alpha test.

The hero units are very good, but i dont know very well the english names.

I really hope that you show us the alpha version soon .

August, 16th, perhaps earlier :) and thanks for your pn, such things motivate a lot :)

So there are two ASoIaF mod projects out there?
Team up?
mods sometimes have different goals... my mod will include all the known civs in the world (not just westerios) - it is also dependent on having oceans non-navigable except for special exceptions to keep the two major continents societies separate (this will be done by not allowing any ocean going vessels except for the exceptions).

I also am focusing on the slow growth of the ultimate enemy in the series.

most maps can easily be converted to other mods - I would probably convert my maps when this one comes out if it makes sense (and if i happen to download the mod).

If I don't... this guy can convert one of my maps as long as he gives credit and links to my map thread (and its not like I could stop him in any case:) ).

Again goodluck!

so you create Civs like Qartheen, Free Cities, Slaver's Bay etc. yourself?

My first idea was to use this system to make dragons available to other Houses than Targaryen ...

As I already wrote, the Altar is still there and I hate to delete it :D

At this point I would recommend that you don't have other houses build dragons (heck you could argue that there is no reasonable expectation of any more dragons besides dany's for the forseeable future in the book series)... there is too much unknown about the future of the book series, but
Spoiler :
there may be some devices that allow a faction to "steal" a dragon

also at this point why delete anything? just remove it from the tech tree...

so you create Civs like Qartheen, Free Cities, Slaver's Bay etc. yourself?
in my mod (and in my scenario created for the bigE mod) I used placeholders since that wasn't my focus at the time. Example: i combined several of the free cities into a couple of non-real civs where later I planned to create individual civs for each city. Also, my plan was to create a game mechanic that ensured that the free cities could not expand (and that dothraki could not hold onto a large empire) .

also check my map thread for a link to an online resource for this book series...

thanks for your tips on the tech tree... like i said in the pm that was what was putting a stop to my mod efforts

At this point I would recommend that you don't have other houses build dragons (heck you could argue that there is no reasonable expectation of any more dragons besides dany's for the forseeable future in the book series)... there is too much unknown about the future of the book series, but
Spoiler :
there may be some devices that allow a faction to "steal" a dragon

also at this point why delete anything? just remove it from the tech tree...
Hehe, dealt with that question two days ago ... great minds think alike

Spoiler :
Rhaegal, Viserion and Drogon are the only dragons available in the game, the resource dragoneggs has been disabled at the moment, and the "Valyrian Horn" or "Horn of the Dragons" can be found, too.
Works this way: When you research the Tech "Exploring the Smoking Sea" you can send ships on a "Expedition to Valyria" for 10 rounds. 50% Chance it won't return, 10% Chance it returns without anything, and some minor % for finding the Horn of the Dragons, the swords Brightroar or Dark Sister, to find some money, knowledge about Valyrian Steel or Dragons etc. Will be expensive, but rewarding with a little luck ;)

in my mod (and in my scenario created for the bigE mod) I used placeholders since that wasn't my focus at the time. Example: i combined several of the free cities into a couple of non-real civs where later I planned to create individual civs for each city. Also, my plan was to create a game mechanic that ensured that the free cities could not expand (and that dothraki could not hold onto a large empire).
Creating such mechanics is my weak point at the moment. I will include the 9 Free Cities .. I'm not sure if it's necessary to create 9 different civs but Braavos as the "Bastard of the Valyrian Freehold" and of course Pentos, and the warfaring Myr, Lys and Tyrish should be integrated. The Dothraki are linked with the Targaryens so I'm not sure if Dothraki should be special units for the Targaryen or a civ themself. Possible civs would be House Targaryen, Khal Drogo's Khalasar, Khal Ogos Khalasaar OR just The Dothraki ... Slaver's Bay and Qarth should be two other Civs ... anything forgotten?
also check my map thread for a link to an online resource for this book series...

thanks for your tips on the tech tree... like i said in the pm that was what was putting a stop to my mod efforts

Creating such mechanics is my weak point at the moment.

I will include the 9 Free Cities .. I'm not sure if it's necessary to create 9 different civs but Braavos as the "Bastard of the Valyrian Freehold" and of course Pentos, and the warfaring Myr, Lys and Tyrish should be integrated.

The Dothraki are linked with the Targaryens so I'm not sure if Dothraki should be special units for the Targaryen or a civ themself.

Possible civs would be House Targaryen, Khal Drogo's Khalasar, Khal Ogos Khalasaar OR just The Dothraki ... Slaver's Bay and Qarth should be two other Civs ... anything forgotten?

All is forgotten but will be remembered in small bites... (you really should check out the link in my map thread for the online resource for the book series) better to continue on your path and release an alpha when you are comfortable (it doesn't HAVE to be the precursor to your complete final vision)... you can change as many things as you deem necessary along the way.

I am treating Dothraki as the barbarians of the east (but as a civ). A civ with the inability to hold onto more than one city, but their research allows for barbarian waves to harass the other civ/cities.

Dany can have unsullied and dothraki special units just like her special dragon units (that may be limited in quantity via national or world unit game mechanic)

As it stands having trouble finding my install disks for civ (i have the disk1's but not the others), so i will be digging around.

In the books don't forget that dany appears to be staying in the east ONLY to let her dragons get strong (and to work on her management skills) at some point she will make the move to the west (which can be forced by her own research path)

You mean westeros.org, their wiki and their "citadel"? That's my main information source ;) towerofthehand.com is great, too.
I got the 4 books and the 3 hedge knight stories as well as the Roleplaying and Campaign Guide (which is VERY useful). I think that should suffice for now.

I will include some eastern civs like normal civs. Changes like limits to the number of cities etc. can be done afterwards ... :)

A picture of all available naval units except swan ships from Summer Isles (will be integrated until alpha release)

here a little example for non religious units with magical potential. All units except the basic units herbalists, novices, adepts and alchemists are not buildable but have to be upgraded from experienced basic units (red arrows!). A novice or maester can join a city (only 1 maester/novice at the same time) and will get experience over the time. Of course he can gain experience with fighting or events. Then he can forge a chain link under certain conditions. For example a pale steel link (=smithing upgrade, ability to sharpen a weapon) can only be forged in a city with a blacksmith building.

This sounds interesting, I'm a big fan of ASoIaF myself and can't wait to try this mod.

Best of luck to you!

PS. For some reason I can't see the images you've posted :sad:

Hope the images work well now? my On safari, inet explorer and firefox they do .. perhaps my server has been maintained ..

The term "bloodmage" has been changed to "mage" (like Maester Marwyn) ... because bloodmages are related to the eastern shadow lands ;)

thanks for correction @craterus22

Top Bottom