Sons of Monarchy XI: Washington of America

This is such a cool map, I'm not sure why there aren't more reports... Did cseanny scare everyone?
I've played the opening 3-4 times to around 1400BC, on Immortal, and that was totally fun!

Now that I'm headed for the moon (I'll be needing Berthold's help anyway), I think I'll take this save along with me. First thing first, of course, I need to escape the Age of Reason.
Sigh, here comes wednesday again...

Spoiler the Escape! :

Bump.
4000 BC - 1680 BC, Immortal, normal:

Spoiler :
SIP.
Capital: worker, settler at size 3, whip settler at size 4, worker at size 2.
Tech path: The Wheel, Mining, Bronze Working, Mysticism, Polytheism, Masonry, Priesthood, Pottery, Sailing (in progress).
City 2: worker, worker at size 1. Warrior, Temple of Artemis (fail gold).
City 3: Stonehenge (fail gold), The Oracle.

Situation at 2000 BC:
Spoiler :

1680 BC:
Overview:
Spoiler :

Boston:
Spoiler :

Judaism was founded lateish: 2080 BC. With an earlier Judaism date (if one settles capital 1NW, for example, so as to work 2x gold), then the holy city might be settled 2W1N of the marble. Slightly better site since it can borrow the corn.
Sailing gets trade routes for auto-spread. Will research AH before Writing so that tech will be a little late.
Sailing gets Lighthouse and The Great Lighthouse due to High Sea Level :)woohoo:).
Oracle gets Metal Casting for a couple forges (and Granaries, couldn't really pick any other techs).
Boston gets to wonderspam, hopefully.

@FlyingSwan:
Spoiler :
Yes, the map is very big. Domination is probably not the VC you should aim for, unless you're prepared to manage 50+ cities. Conquest is a simpler alternative, if you aim for a military VC.

@The bribe: it is extremely cheap! I'd take it.
@Other: settler, settler, settler. You still only have one city. Your workers would be better off chopping than improving tiles you cannot work ;)

@BornInCantaloup
Spoiler :
I did the war bribe,the diplo minus was only -2 so no problem recovering that...but what did happen was Shaka wiped out Asoka REALY quick(I didn't realise the map was wrap round!),then after he,d killed Asoka Julius Ceaser declared on him!I would,nt like to call who would win that fight...Shock axes VS Praetorians is even money I reckon.

Anyway If the maps that big I probably shan,t continue,intersting start though.

@ Flying Swan

Spoiler :
In my game, I managed to bribe Shaka, Meh, Sury, and Julius in against Asoka. We're all one big happy family of bullies. Thing is, the bribe cost goes down once someone declares. That someone can easily be you.

Spoiler :
Is it worth it to get pottery before BW to start cottaging the shared FPs asap? How bad would it be to settle on the FP one north of the plains hill instead of on the plains hill for the second city? Thanks

@byang08,two schools of thought on this.My preference with a high commerce start is to go early Alpha,avoid BW and trade for it along with AH,Med etc.Bornincantaloups critism of this kind of play is not enough settlers as your working and growing to the happy cap so you can work all the cottages to get an early alphabet.By doing this obviously you cant chop or slave those settlers till later(turn 50 in my case).

Spoiler :
Thanks for the reply. What about just getting pottery before going mining -> bw so that you can start working 1 or 2 cottages very early? I also have some other questions.

Both playthroughs in this thread set their second city near the western gold and third city near the marble to block shaka. If I plan to build SH and Oracle, wouldn't it be better to settle the marble city first since it has more production and I can get the marble hooked up sooner?

Is the stone too far away to be used for anything but mids if it's even ok to build it? It would have to be the 3rd city at the earliest and pretty much built only for the stone. Is the GW good in this game as you're a bit isolated and barbs can come from all sides?

Thanks

@byang08,I presume you are going worker first so mining should be the first tech to get the gold mine online and speed up tech to get pottery,if you go pottery first the workers going to be idle for a few turns less building a road.Improve the corn and the gold mine,it seems the strongest opening to me on this map.

To address your other Q the stone is too far away to be of any use in the early game.The great wall is a nice wonder on big maps,but so is Washingtons CHA trait,bash those barbs and get the heroic epic early.

to chop out SH (2040ish)

I tried to follow your approach but I have no clue how you did it - finishing SH at that time. Where you growing on two cottages in the cap or did you use mines to get out the settler earlier? I could not even get my second worker fast enough to chop out SH, only got it 1600 BC and got overrun by the barbs...

Top Bottom