Space Colonization modmod

I haven't done the python code yet. As mentioned before, if all else fails, I will include a modification of one of the existing python modules.

V8 probably will not be backward compatible with V7. Several new terrains and features are added, and some are taken out. Also, my earlier estimate of the release date was wildly optimistic. Partly because I tried to do too much with V8, so some of the plans will be postponed to V9. I'm guessing more like late February now before the next version is done.

That's the old list, correct?
I was more interested in a list with all the terrains that will be in V8, so I can start planning where to place them.
Or I can just wait until you release it :D

Hi Faustmuse,

No, that thread is the most recent set of terrains. It's over a month old because that's how long it is taking me to get V8 put together.

I'm stunned by the sheer amount of terrains you put in! I see you have HUGE plans :D

I came up with a rough draft of a map, however I wonder how to include stuff that "overlaps", like Inner Solarsystem or Milkeyway.

I could place Inner Solarsystem as space between the inner planets. Or do you want to have a shared map with one part beeing the terrain of actual planets and the other is the galaxy itself?

Also what is the correct terrain between planets? Space, Deep Space or Void? What do each of them represent? And is Orbit only for earth, I.E. "Near Earth" or is this supposed to be around all planets? Probably quite a misleading name, as you can be in an orbit around earth quite far away.

Last edited:
Thanks. For V8, I won't be making full use of all those terrains. But since adding new terrains breaks compatibility, I wanted to do as much as I could at once.

I'm not sure I understand your question about overlapping. Generally speaking, buildings have three types of terrain requirements. There are the MapCategories, there is Terrain in City Vicinity, and there Feature in City Vicinity. I make use of all three. Inner Solar System is meant for tiles that are in space and not on a planet.

The Orbit terrain, on which it is impossible to build cities, is meant to be around all planetary bodies. I originally intended it to be a buffer on which routes can't be built in order to prevent direct trade between planets, but after some changes in how resources are done I want to allow direct trade. I still think Orbit (which should be thought of as Low Earth Orbit) should be included around Earth, and for other planets it's optional, and should be used only if you want to designate places where cities can't be built. Space is meant for Cislunar Space, and I might rename or replace that to make it more descriptive. I currently have no usage of Deep Space or Void, and I would avoid those terrains.

Ok!

Let me try to explain "overlapping":

If you zoom out, you still have the zoomed in map at the same time. So one part of the map would have features like the Milkyway or the Virgo Supercluster, while right next to it would be the the Oort Cloud. But the Oort Cloud is included in the Milkyway, thus there is some overlapping. Same would be true if you planned a zoomed out map that only contains like "Inner Solar System", "Outer Solar System" and "Transneptunian Space".

I think at first I'll try to make a map that covers only the solar system and ignore anything outside the Oort Cloud.

OK, I got it. The terrains have many layers of containment. E.g. Ice Giant <- Outer Solar System <- Transtellar Space <- Orion Arm <- Milky Way <- Local Group <- Virgo Supercluster <- Observable Universe.

Terrain X should be read as "X but not any terrain contained in X". So really, the Milky Way terrain means the portion of the Milky Way Galaxy that is outside of the Orion Arm, the Galactic Core, etc.

If we ever get multimaps, the different layers would be on different maps. For now, if you want to use extrasolar terrain, I would just line it up so Transtellar is the next region after Transneptunian Space, and beyond that is Orion Arm, and so on.

Thanks, that's good to know. Still, for reasons of keeping stable maps and that sort of thing, I still want to get all terrain changes done in this version if possible.

I added a Digital Embassy building that should satisfy TPEHEP's request. Although I still haven't figured out why my separate module isn't working, I tried tacking my code onto another module and it works. So, although it's a hack, the request will be fulfilled in V8. I'm anxious to get V8 out, so some of the things I wanted to do for V8 will be postponed until later.

hi again well i was just wondering, does your mod work for any map? if not then what maps does it work on? im saying this becuase i am playing a certain continents map and it seems to have some bugs like showing a black knight from the midveal ages as a whiled horse in the prehistoric era unless you click on it so perhaps its becuase i am playing on the wrong map? also can you please post some pics of all the expanded/space maps? i went into world builder to test the mod out by having almost all the techs witch put me in the galactic era so i could see what it looks like and all the maps/space maps but all that showed was the regular world map,i did not see moon terran,mars or beyond the solar system stuff.

Hi Civ4newbie,

The best map I know of is TPEHEP's Solar System map. I suggest trying that. Otherwise, you can edit the map in WorldBuilder and manually add in some terrain. Eventually I hope there will be a mapscript that will include all space terrains and features, but I don't know how to do that yet. Be aware that V8, which should be out within a few weeks, will have a different terrain set.

As far as the black knight bug, I think that's a graphics bug that comes from certain graphics settings. I don't think it has anything to do with my modmod.

I just came back into playing c2c and wanted to try out your modmod the thing is the directory you mentioned does not exist at all shall I just create it? I was expecting to drop it just into the mods folder. A bit of clarification would be appreciated.

Hi Keyalha.

The directory Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\MyMods should exist. Create a Pepper2000 folder in there and that's where the modmod goes. Enjoy!

oh shoot yeah was just me being silly I looked for %gameroot%\Beyond the swords\Assets\Modules\MyMods thanks for the headsup!

Top Bottom