Space Colonization modmod

DH made a similar suggestion recently. When I had initially conceived of ongoing training was long before buildups - which btw would seriously be the easiest way to set up what you suggested there - so I had not considered that possibility. I'm thinking of buildups interacting with city modifiers to get final amounts of gradual xp gain by unitcombat... maybe something more aggressive for a limited number of units where there are settled Great Generals or something along with that.

Isn't it easier to just make units that are built in high-bonus-xp cities cost more hammers? After all, making highly-trained troops takes a lot more time and effort than just rounding up some "volunteers", quickly explaining to them how a sword works ("hold it on this end, insert the other end into your enemy") then sending them into the battlefield.
Concrete suggestion: for every +1 bonus Xp that a unit starts out with, the cost of the unit should be increased by 3% (or perhaps 5%). Would also decrease unit spam as the game progresses.

It would also make a choice between quality troops and quantity of troops (human wave strategy). Right now there is no reason not to build your whole army in the city that gives the most xp bonus.

Isn't it easier to just make units that are built in high-bonus-xp cities cost more hammers? After all, making highly-trained troops takes a lot more time and effort than just rounding up some "volunteers", quickly explaining to them how a sword works ("hold it on this end, insert the other end into your enemy") then sending them into the battlefield.
Concrete suggestion: for every +1 bonus Xp that a unit starts out with, the cost of the unit should be increased by 3% (or perhaps 5%). Would also decrease unit spam as the game progresses.

It would also make a choice between quality troops and quantity of troops (human wave strategy). Right now there is no reason not to build your whole army in the city that gives the most xp bonus.
There's a thread for this now. But IMO, this is a separate issue of consideration and one I had posed a while back. Could be worked into the building review to add a standard amount of unit production penalty to buildings that add xp. I would be in support of that.

V2 is now up. I wonder how many weeks ago I said it was a week away. At any rate, enjoy the new batch of buildings.

What do I need to edit in Pepper2000_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml to allow the lunar buildings without needing to be on a space map or use WorldBuilder?

Some lunar buildings are made by me; you need to go into modules/Faustmouse/LunarColonization and look for the BuildingInfo. The you need to remove all the MapCategory tags (or replace "Lunar" with "Earth" in this tag) and also delete the terrain requirements for the Lunar Base building. Then these buildings should be buildable on every city on earth.

Alternately, Cislunar Economy is the only building in my set that depends on a lunar building. You can delete the Lunar Base requirement for that. In Pepper2000Space_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml, look for the line "<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_LUNAR_BASE</BuildingClassType>" and delete that block of four lines.

Faustmouse: I won't be able to do too much work on this for a while (too much "day job" going on right now), but straightening out the Martian line is my next priority. I agree this should supplant the existing Mars Colonies.

I haven't done much since I posted the spreadsheet. To tell you the truth, I forgot about the project while doing the latest update here, though it does include some of the planned consolidation buildings.

Since I have a limited amount of time over the next couple weeks, what most urgently needs to be done on building review?

As I've always stated, it's a long term project. Nothing is too immediately needing attention more than anything else really. I would just urge to put some focus on that end of things so that we can hammer our way to a strong game we can build the future and space onto.

Don't get me wrong... I want the space stuff as much as any of us... I just don't feel it's worth getting there as a player if the game has been completely out of whack up to that point.

Agreed. At this point I don't have a clear plan. I might start trying to implement more of the consolidation proposal and see how it plays, though I hesitate to do too much on my own.

Sorry I missed this post. I haven't tested with the latest SVN, but I am planning on releasing the next version in a week or two. I've been too slammed at work to do much modding lately. If you try with the latest SVN and there's a problem, I'll try to fix it before releasing V3.

I could have sworn that I remembered the attachment the first time, but it wasn't there. Try it now.

For V4, I want to do the following, or at least as much as I can.

- Create Solar System, Interstellar, and Venus terrains, and separate out those lines of buildings to colonies on the correct terrain.

Just a reminder for when you are doing the terrains - PEAK and HILL have to be the last two in the XML file. Peaks will look the same everywhere because there is only one art style that can be defined for them. Luckily hills get the "flat" terrain painted over them so can look different on the different planets. It is an exe thing. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up. Should I include empty PEAK and HILL entries on my terrain file, or should I add duplicates of the current entries?

Thanks for the heads-up. Should I include empty PEAK and HILL entries on my terrain file, or should I add duplicates of the current entries?

Don't have them in your file at all. Just the new terrains. I think that will work, it has been awhile since I did any terrain stuff. I am fairly sure that is what I did.

Top Bottom