Space Victory Dilemma

Rhymes said:
Engineers cant rush the Space elevator, it appears they have made it a great project...

It's a wonder, therefore rushable (I've done it before).

I recently beat Prince by culture in 1970 and no one even constucted Apollo.
(Elizabeth/Lakes/Standard/all victories)

How? Keen diplomacy.

I 100% tech'd until Gunpowder in 1610 and "flipped the switch" then. No more research. 100% culture. Made for a tense lategame. I was ahead in techs at that point, becuase someone was always at war through most of the game. So my research comes to a grinding halt. Luckily I had forged a strong alliance with Mansa and Roosevelt, who were the commerce/research giants at the time. Peter and Mao were winning, mostly becuase they both had sprawling empires. To my north was Japan, who easily had the largest army the entire game and constantly was furious at me, for no real reason.

So I built up a sizable force of Musketman and prayed to the four religions I had founded, that I could hold out until I have 3 legendary cities. For quite a while I was able to keep up in tech, oddly. Basically tech-whoring all the stuff I had for other things, though falling behind quickly.

I realized Tokugawa had an incredible stack of units right next to my borders. Then he ended his war with Mansa (whom he devastated) and I knew what was going to happen. I trade off my last few techs to Isabella, in order for her to go to war with Tokugawa to distract him from me, who was at this point ripe for conquer.

She accepts! They fight a battle that lasts hundreds of years, weakening them both in the process, and allowing me to trade my way a little higher on the tech tree. All the way up to Rifling!

So now I make my production (non-culture) city just pump out waves of Redcoats and realize that a military defeat has been soundly delayed. No one has near any of the win conditions, but 1900 is fast approaching. I know that the only thing that can beat me now is Space race or possible massive tokugawa tanks later on.

So naturally, I start WW1. :lol: Bribing all of the tech leaders to war was taxing, but it ended up winning me the game. They were all to busy slaughtering eachother to care that my 3 culture cities were about to win. Idiots.

Lesson learned? To avoid the inevitable Space Race win by the AI, bribe them to war. Worked for me!

I'm suprized they didn't completely fix the rogue state exploit for civ4.

I agree that space race is way to easy. I mean seriously, It's not like the U.S. just started rushing to build a huge freaking spaceship after landing on the moon! I personally think that space race shouldn't even BE a victory condition. Instead it should give a boost in score or happiness or productivity to the first person who launches it. I also think there should be a seperate tech "Space exploration" or something that allows you to build the spaceship parts. That would balance the game out a little more...

A Random Person said:
I'm suprized they didn't completely fix the rogue state exploit for civ4.

I agree that space race is way to easy. I mean seriously, It's not like the U.S. just started rushing to build a huge freaking spaceship after landing on the moon! I personally think that space race shouldn't even BE a victory condition. Instead it should give a boost in score or happiness or productivity to the first person who launches it. I also think there should be a seperate tech "Space exploration" or something that allows you to build the spaceship parts. That would balance the game out a little more...

The Space race victory has become a Sacred Cow. They wont just remove it altogether. If you don't like it, just uncheck the little box at start. Voila!

I'll admit I didn't read all the posts but I can honestly say that yes, it seems the space race is a tad easy. In my last game I could have saved myself 100 turns if I just built the damn parts but I wanted a diplo victory and managed to finally get it when my ally finally dropped to 3rd place population wise and the hated Napolean gained 2nd. I basically was a cinch to win after that but it took quite a bit of warmongering against the hated Aztecs and French. I had Hatty, Mansa, Catherine on my side most game, converted Julius Caesar mid to late game, ignored the tiny Isabella. Had to go to war a couple of times with Japan and the French for my allies but when France steamrolled Rome and took 2nd place I finally won diplo cause only Japan liked him and everyone voted for me except the aforemention Aztecs, who I destroyed, and Isabella who only had 50 votes. I've won culturally too but you really need 3 good cities and lot's of religions so you can build cathedrals, stupas etc... it's tough but I focus on winning these ways after winning space race too many times... Next game, I'm going for conquest!

MarcAntiny said:
I'll admit I didn't read all the posts but I can honestly say that yes, it seems the space race is a tad easy. In my last game I could have saved myself 100 turns if I just built the damn parts but I wanted a diplo victory and managed to finally get it when my ally finally dropped to 3rd place population wise and the hated Napolean gained 2nd. I basically was a cinch to win after that but it took quite a bit of warmongering against the hated Aztecs and French. I had Hatty, Mansa, Catherine on my side most game, converted Julius Caesar mid to late game, ignored the tiny Isabella. Had to go to war a couple of times with Japan and the French for my allies but when France steamrolled Rome and took 2nd place I finally won diplo cause only Japan liked him and everyone voted for me except the aforemention Aztecs, who I destroyed, and Isabella who only had 50 votes. I've won culturally too but you really need 3 good cities and lot's of religions so you can build cathedrals, stupas etc... it's tough but I focus on winning these ways after winning space race too many times... Next game, I'm going for conquest!

I find that its just my nature to win as soon as possible. But in some earlier post I see they say that the computer will ignore unchecked victory methods. So I may uncheck Space. But I would rather win the other vicrtories without handicapping the AI. So maybe I will attempt what you did, go for a harder win and try to keep the AI from attaining the easier Space victory. Its just that that the AI smart enough to know that Space is the easiest so it would try the others.:sad:

I have found this game to be more enjoyable with the space race condition off. I never even did much in the modern era besides build the spaceship because if I didn't someone else would and I would lose.

With the condition off I don't have to plan my entire civilization from day one with the intent of building the spaceship first. I can do whatever I like. The various victory conditions are all there presumably as they are all meant to be legitimate ways to obtain victory. But with the ai gunning for the space race, I had to do the same.

It is far too easy compared to the other conditions. It made every game the same, and prevented me from even really playing the modern era game because the sole focus was building the dumb spaceship.

Top Bottom