Spanish conquering

played Spain about 5 times and this time I only had one city as my religion because that’s all the requirement in the civlopaedia and wiki... but nope, the conquistador converts the cities to atheist.
I take it they are just written badly instead of something being broken?
Anyone know?
This sort of thing happened to me as well. Conquistadors convert cities to your dominant religion (and as you note atheism if no religion is dominant). After a few hit and miss games I finally stumbled on to the exact mechanic by accident. In this video the religion I founded is called BARKALOS!!! but Confucianism is the dominant religion in my empire, so Mohenjo-Daro ends up converting to Confucianism.

Edit: I can't say I understand the exact mechanics fully though. Like in this 6otM 45 series. My 3 Polish cav armies attacked a Spanish city, a SPANISH CONQUISTADOR was within the city boundaries, and the city insta-converted to MY religion.

Last edited:
Lol. sounds like a bug.
I wonder if it was a CS conquistador if the religion changed to that of the CS.
When you capture a city that leads to pops being killed, is it ever possible for the City to concert due to the former majority religion pops dying off?
Probably not what happened here but a curious question nonetheless. Poland does have religion conversion mechanics in their culture bomb but I don’t see anything that would erroneously trigger it. (Like if this neighbored his own city and some kind of weird tile swapping happened that accidentally set it off)

I used to but it is kind of like nerfing your own unit. If someone is adopting my religion widely, that also negates Phillip's counter reformer so why bother fighting them?

Well, I used to just convert cities one by one then conquer them immediately afterwards, cuz Crusade is city-bound while Philip's leader ability is civ-bound, and because you always want to bring your religious units with your conquistador anyway so I thought why not. More CS means faster conquering so I don't have to keep training more units. That is kinda my idea.

I can't say I understand the exact mechanics fully though. Like in this 6otM 45 series. My 3 Polish cav armies attacked a Spanish city, a SPANISH CONQUISTADOR was within the city boundaries, and the city insta-converted to MY religion.

I think you should report this to 2K with the video attached, this surely feels like a bug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I used to just convert cities one by one then conquer them immediately afterwards, cuz Crusade is city-bound while Philip's leader ability is civ-bound, and because you always want to bring your religious units with your conquistador anyway so I thought why not. More CS means faster conquering so I don't have to keep training more units. That is kinda my idea.
Sounds good for domination but in a religious victory it doesn't make sense to take cities because they follow your religion. That belief slot could be used for something else and the conquistadors used to convert cities away from other religions while also getting the combat bonus against other religions. Spain could do both religious and domination victory but why not leave both optios open as long as possible.

In a modded game I had evry one of my large Spanish cities converted almost 100% to my religion with the use of inquisators. Still, when trying to convert a captured Egyptian city with both Conquistadors and Apostles the best I could do is remove the heretic religion but could never establish or bring my relgion to bear. It stayed atheist. I found the mods to be the culprit of this particuliar problem,

Top Bottom