Spanish Revenge - Second Emperor Attempt

I've played a bit more without posting it beause I had to split in a hurry after dinner. Unfortunately I've made the same mistake as I did in my last story, sea exploration is somewhat late in coming.

==============
1575BC
After a long time of very little, the city of Toledo is formed in the just west of Seville, all this time, the settler heads west to secure the iron deposit.

1550BC
A warrior in the far north discovers a friendly tribe, which makes a change from the past few times. They know what the Spanish Empire stands for and are quick to share their wealth with Isabella.

1525BC
On its travels north, a warrior comes into contact with another Civilization, they call themselves the Maya and they are indeed mysterious. On building an embassy we learn that their capital is in the far north and is large in comparison to the cities of the south. Size 6, pulling in 8spt and is only 19 turns from building a Great Wonder, the Pyramids. They’re also researching at 80%.

1500BC
the Spanish Settler heading for the Iron deposit to secure it for Isabella stumbles across a settler from the nation of Sumeria, this is bad because they will either, steal it for themselves, or build their cities behind my city, leaving it extremely isolated in time of war.

1450BC
Found the city of Santiago to secure that the iron deposit will not fall into the hands of Spain’s enemies.

1400BC
The world begins to feel just a little crampt in Isabella’s opinion. A Warrior from Spain comes into contact with the Indian people.

1325BC
Deciding that the other nations of the world were not ready to learn the skills of writing from the Spanish hundred of years seems to have been a good deal, as now, the Sumerians are still ignorant to the skills yet have mastered the art of Mathematics and Polytheism and will give Mathematics and all their gold to get their hands on mastering the art of writing.

1300BC
The Sumerian city of Ur completes the Oracle.

1250BC
The Great city of Murcia is formed, bordering with the Sumerian city of Isin. Their expansion must be capped or we shall be overrun!!

This is the great Spanish Empire circa 1250BC. As you can see the Sumerians seem to be building right into my back yard. I could easily just build east but I want to try and check the Sumerians. I think the Koreans are busy building west because I‘ve not really seen them and the Egyptians are too far north at the moment to offer any problems.

1150BC
Form the city of Valencia north of Santiago.

1125BC
Hmm, this is quite good for me. The Spanish people seem to be well liked by all. Everyone is polite, perhaps they know the power of Spain and choose to be friendly. Isabella sells the art of Writing to the Egyptians for 100 gold.

1100BC
Build the city of Zaragoza, Spanish Wise men are worried that city may flip to the Sumerians so temples will need to be built to guarantee that the Spanish people there stay to the true path

1075BC
Pamplona is formed south west of Barcelona.

IBT- the Mayan capital completes the Pyramids.

1050BC
Research Philosophy and………… damn….. no free tech, Isabella is not pleased. To make up for their short comings, Spanish Wise men begin to research a form of currency, which should hopefully bring great wealth to the Spanish Empire

On close consulation with her advisors, Isabella summons forth the Egyptians and arranges a deal where they gain the knowledge of Philosophy by parting with the knowledge of Map Making. 130 gold to Cleopatra personally secures the deal.

Map making is then sold to everyone else, Sumeria for 50 gold and India for 30 gold. To sweeten the deal Spain learns the practise of Polytheism and also gain 50 gold for Philosophy and Map Making.

IBT- Some strange race known as the Portugese complete the Mausoleum of Mausollos. Who are they?? Does that mean there are more people out there??

750BC
Form the city of Vitoria, I really need to start thinking of building up my military, I only have warriors, and the Sumerians are getting very powerful.

670BC
The city of Santander is hastily formed in the tundra to the south of Barcelona to grab 3 supplies of furs before a Sumerian settler can get his hands it it. Isabella would like a world wide monopoly on the fur trade to greatly boost the Spanish treasury later on.

650BC
Begin to settle eastward by building the port town of Asturias, next to Madrid this is my only port so I will need to make it strong to ensure that in the future, Spain shall produce La Grande Armada to rule the waves.

630BC
A Persian city complete The Colossus, who are they???

610BC
The city of Jaen is formed on the Sumerian border at great risk to a cultural flip!! The wise men pleaded with Isabella to rethink, but Isabella was hungry for more land, and her word was law, so the city was formed.

530BC
It has been almost 2000 years since a warrior from Spain first gazed upon the great Devil Mountain, and in that time it has been shunned by the people of Spain….. until now. A group of fearless settlers travelled far and have founded the city of Logrono under the ungodly shadow of the mountain. Prayers are said at temples throughout Spain for God to look down upon the inhabitants of Logrono with a favourable eye and ensure that the people are now swept away in Lucifer’s wrath.

IBT- The Korean capital of Seoul has complete a great building, the Temple of Artemis

510BC
It is a cool day in Madrid, Isabella has just returned from the temple paying homage to God for saving her people from bloodshed for such a long time and is relaxing in her private chamber when her Cultural Advisor requests an audience. Having been friends for so long Isabella isn’t angered at the intrusion and welcomes the advisor in.

“My Queen, we have bad news from our embassy in Ur, the Sumerian capital.”
“What is the matter?? Is war afoot??”
“Thankfully not, but the news is perhaps worse, we have heard that the Sumerians have completed the Hanging Gardens”
“Does this give them a military advantage?”
“No my Queen, however it does shoot the Sumerians ahead in Culture by a huge deal, we need to take extreme measures to ensure that our border towns are not persuaded to leave the warm bosom of Spain”
“Order temples constructed in all the cities. This should increases our culture and hopefully it will please God to the extent where he will shield the people of the cities from the false gods of Sumeria”

490BC
Another port town, this time Valladolid, is constructed in the east. Settler production has slowed to only one or two towns which will hamper Spain’s expansion but the threat from her neighbours are too great to ignore.

470BC
Beijing, the Chinese capital, completes the Great Wall.

430BC
To better understand the way in which great buildings can be made, an emissary is sent to the Indian capital. They are aware of the secrets of construction yet are ignorant of both Philosophy AND Polytheism. Adding in 240 gold secures a trade and in order to spread the wealth, construction is then sold to Koreans for Currency, Codes of Law and 70 gold. The Egyptians will give Spain 130 gold for the secrets of Consturction, Mayans will give more, giving 190 gold for Currency, India offer 320 gold for Currency

So in a single stroke, Construction is obtained for 2 techs and 240 gold. And because of it Spain is now wise of 2 more techs and 410 gold, a profit of 170. All in all this was indeed wise trading on the part of Queen Isabella.

410BC
Palma is constructed north of Valladolid and Cordoba is built to take control of a fresh water lake north of Devil Mountain and Logrono, in the barren plains.

IBT- A Settler of Spain, sent to secure Wine deposits to the north inadvertidly strays into Korean territory, to secure a closer bond of friendship, Spain offers, and Korea accepts, a Right of Passage. Also, The Great Lighthouse is constructed in the Egyptian city of Heliopolis.

390BC
The Sumerians come straight up to Isabella, disregarding protocol and demands straight Codes of Law from the Spanish People. The look on the face of Isabella’s military advisor shows her that unfortunately she has no choice, she caves into Sumerian demands and accepts that, in the centuries that will follow, this will not be forgotten.

330BC
In a move which will surely irritate the Egyptians something chronic, the Spanish city of Teruel is formed in the far north, securing all 3 sources of Wine. They will be annoyed because just one square away, is an Egyptian settler. Isabella laughs out loud at this and simply comments that “it was the will of god”.

310BC
News reaches Isabella from afar that a massive force of Barbarians has formed near Valladolid. The state of the Spanish Army is enough for Isabella to fear for her citizens in the far off lands.

210BC
For 230 gold Spain is able to purchase Horseback Riding off of the Indians, propelling her into a new Age of prosperity. To regain some gold the skill is then sold onto the Koreans for 40 gold.

190BC

The advisor who screamed “I TOLD YOU SO”, was quickly beheaded

130BC
The city of Aleria is founded in the hilly land east of Devil Mountain.

IBT-
Smoke Jaguar- “Isabella, grant me 74 gold and I will pray to the great jaguar that he spares the Spanish land from his fangs”

Althought Isabella pretty sure that her God can give the puny Mayan cat a beating of the highest order, she is all too aware that Spain in no position to fight anyone, so reluctantly she buckles. Talking to her advisors she’d still rather give up 74 gold than a tech, so the Sumerians are still top of my list of people Isabella would wish to give a kicking to.

90BC
Finally connect up Iron to the city of Santiago, now I just need to get a road to Madrid….

90AD

With a Spearman factory at Toledo and a Catapult Factory at Barcelona Isabella decides its time to start thinking offensively. Unfortunately heading west is out of the question. The Sumerians are the pimp daddy at the moment so any attack on them would be futile. That leaves north….

This is the Spanish northern border, there’s still a lot of space to be filled, but not by Spain. We shall let the AI build there and take the cities later. The nearest neighbour is the Egyptians, who are on the same score as Spain, and the Spanish Army is “average” in comparison so a long drawn out war isn’t the best idea.
===================================

that me with the story right up to 1AD, I'd really like for people to tell me what I've done wrong up to this point, my starting strategy has never been the best.

That indian city, Ganges, should have been yours :p

There was wheat a little south of it, too...did you manage to get it?

I hate the Sumers, every time they are in my game I either eliminate them early on/live under their shadow if they are on my continent or hope they've got some mean AI neighbors if they are not on mine.

Isabella sends for her Military Advisor, General Estavan Jae (get it?? No? oh well) and demands that he forms a plan for the invasion of Egypt using all of Spain’s military might whilst safe guarding against a possible strike from Sumeria. General Jae leaves and for several days consults his staff and the various maps made of the north. After much debate, a map is drawn up and shown to Queen Isabella and the rest of her advisors.

This is an altered map of the northern area. To the far right, circled with the green ring, is the Egyptian city of Lisht, “probably” lightly defended but frankly I’m not pinning my hopes on it. To the east of Lisht are Chinese and German cities and to the west is an ocean, a bottleneck to be more precise.

Unless the Egyptians are planning on marching a huge army through Chinese territory, which Mao would just “love”, that means to get south, any army needs to get through Lisht, so if an army controls Lisht then they shall control the battle, in theory. Four or five spearmen, along with as many catapults as can spare should hold back any attacking force, the only thing going for the troops of Spain is the enemies inability to attack whilst redlined. Spanish wise men are bordering on Medieval Infantry here but so are the enemy so in order to counter this, Spainish workers must construct a huge number of catapults or, ideally, Trebuchets.

This is the western side of the lake. The two circled cities will fall easily, they can’t be redefended fast enough to stop whatever I throw at them, which will probably be quite a few Swordsmen. The idea will be to take out the cities of Buto and Edfu and rush forward towards Pi-Ramesses., the square just north of Pi-Ramesses is easily defendable. The problem is getting units there, Catapults don’t like mountains very much. If Spanish defensive units are not fast enough the Egyptians will pour though this side like water down a drain. The city of Pi-Ramesses is a stop off point. Push forward and consolidate a position there, then advance along to the two Egyptian cities of Hieraconpolis and Heliopolis. The solid green area is a mountain range which should offer protection against Egyptian troops. Capture these cities and sue for peace. On a side not the red box is a spearman/settler combo, they will obviously build a city somewhere, however where that is exactly is still unknown to Spanish generals.

Now, a plan has been given to Isabella, now all that is needed is the troops. Currently there are 14 warriors, 17 spearmen and 7 catapults guarding the Spanish Empire, more or less all of these troops are on the Sumerian border. The catapults are the key here, as long as there are around 2 catapults to every attacker then the attacking units should be able to able to fight their way to their objectives.

IBT- News reaches the court of Isabella that a people known as the Russians have been destroyed. Isabella is unsure how to react to such news as she was not even aware of the Russians existence. She dismisses the news and life goes on.

Subnote- WOOOOOO No more Russians!!! Good, saves me having to kill them!!!! Now just the Celts to finish off and I can rest peacefully.

150AD
The Egyptians have built the city of Pithom just west of the two oasis north of Cordoba. This shouldn’t be a problem, just need to move faster to get to the objectives.

To quicken my ability to get catapults to the place they need to be, a number of workers will follow the main force and construct roads to hasten the arrival of reinforcements.

IBT- In order to connect up Spain’s iron supply a number of workers were forced to stay into Sumerian territory. Needless to say the Sumerian emissary to Spain was quite vocal about how units trespassing wouldn’t be tolerated. But its at this point where Isabella showed her crafty side, she offered Sumeria a Right of Passage, which, for 80 gold, was accepted. This now ensures that the Sumerian people are friendly and polite towards Spain, securing her western border so troops can be moved to the north.

170AD
Madrid is set to produce warriors in great numbers. With Madrid’s huge production, she is able to train and field a unit of warriors a turn. These units will not be sent to the front just yet, as they will be formed into swordsmen once a steady supply of iron is established.

190AD
A permanent trade route to the iron deposit is formed, somewhat faster than expected. 5 warriors are taught in the art of swordsmanship immediately,

260AD
Rumours reach the Spanish Empire that a Byzantine city has completed the Statue of Zeus.

290AD
Travellers from far away land bring news that the Mayans have completed the Great Library. Although saddened that this is a great wonder which Spain could have went for themselves, Isabella is all to pleased that Sumeria didn’t win the race to build such a Wonder, as this would have made their culture almost unbearable to the border cities of Spain

340AD
After a great amount of time and effort on the part of the Spanish people, a large army is assembled in and around the Spanish city of Cordoba. 16 Catapults, 7 Spearmen and 12 Swordsman it is surely the largest army Isabella has yet formed and even more units arrive each turn. Now comes the moment of truth, Isabella has instructed that the plan be followed exactly, which dictates that the force must be split in two, with a large holding force being sent to Lisht. This is very dangerous. If General Estavan Jae has miscalculated the enemy then they shall throw everything they have down the Pi-Ramesses straight at the main attacking force, totally diverting past the huge catapult force stationed in Lisht.

Lisht is defended by 2 spearmen and a swordsman, all regular. Taking the city sould not be a problem.

This city should also not be a problem, however, Spain’s military advisor brings particular attention to the unit which looks different from the others, a pikeman.

5 Spearmen, 4 Swordsmen and 10 catapults will be sent to capture Lisht while everything else (including all reinforcements) are sent to capture Pi-Ramesses and the surrounding cities.

370AD
A Right of Passage is agreed upon with the Mayan to ensure that the catapults heading for Lisht may travel through the mountain pass without trespassing.

390AD
Whilst moving troops into position for the final attack against Egypt, news reaches the Spanish generals of considerable Mayan troop movement. At least ten units are heading south through the Pi-Ramesses. Isabella spends several nights with her wise men pondering where they may be going?? They are not at war with anyone that Spain is aware of. Only time will tell.

410AD
The Sumerians cancel their Right of Passage with Spain. Isabella is disappointed but she lets the deal disappear into history.

It is also in this year that there is a landmark in the history of the Spanish Empire. The wise men of Spain finally research a new form of government, the Republic, and a revolution is ordered immediately. As Spain decends into Anarchy, cities shake as the crowds gather to loot and plunder. During this time Isabella stays secure in her palace, defended by her Royal Guard.

IBT- During this dangerous time, the Chinese offer Literature to the Spanish people for 300 gold. Libraries would indeed be very useful for the Spain, however at this point she is on a war footing, so China is politely refused.

420AD
With a new year, there is a new government, Isabella proclaims herself head of the Spanish people (again) and life continues….. or does it?? Because of the huge army Spain is now supporting, it puts a huge strain on the Spanish treasury, at 70% tax she is loosing 76gpt!!! If this war doesn’t start soon then Spain will be ruined!! Marketplaces are ordered in the major cities and Egypt is sent a demand for technology. She is not expected to agree to the demand, but in the future people will look upon this moment as the time when war could have been avoided if Egypt co-operated with Spain.

War is upon us. May God favour the bold, and not listen to the infidels prayers of help.

IBT- In other news, another mystery is solved, as the Mayans declare war on the Sumerians. This will work extremely well in Spain’s favour. As the Sumerians send troops north to punish the Mayans it shall block off any Egyptian counter attacks.

Due to stupidity on the part of Spanish generals, the Egyptians a re able to steal 3 of Spain’s workers. These must be retaken as soon as possible.

430AD
With war declared the Spanish General given the task of taking and holding Lisht moves his troops towards the objective, scouts from the force shows a warrior and 3 archers in close proximity, which may try to reinforce Lisht, with so many Spanish defensive troops the soliders would much rather prefer to take these units on out in open field, rather than try to get past them in the city.

On the plus side, news which results in a large cheer throughout the Spanish Empire, the 3 worker units of Spain captured by the Egyptians were liberated by a spearman unit released from the main stack attacking Pithom. Whilst the liberation was going on Spanish units marched on both Pithom, and a smaller force on Edfu, catapult bombardment will commence next turn

IBT- The might of Sumeria is shown as she begins to move a huge number of units towards her forward cities to defend against the Mayan. On the Egyptian front the forces at Pithom and Edfe are not harassed at all, raising questions as to where the Egyptians were. At Lisht, the stack was able to repulse an attack by a Medieval Infantry, thanks mainly to the catapults present.

440AD
At Pithom, the real attack begins, with ten catapults the Spanish forces are able to severely weaken a pikeman unit, a spearman unit and a Medieval Infantry stationed in the city. With the defenders heavily dazed by the initial bombardment, Spanish Swordsmen run forward with cries of “For Isabella” and “For the Empire” and, without any loss of life, was able to wipe out the remaining defenders of the city, capturing an Egyptian worker.

Unfortunately the defenders of Edfu, still at full strength because of the lack of initial bombardment, fare better against Spanish steel, killing one brave Spanish warrior, however this sorrow was masked by the triumph felt by the other swordsmen as they engaged the enemy and avenged their fallen brothers by capturing Edfu, and adding 2 Egyptian slaves units to the Spanish Empire.

With the successes of the Spanish troops at Pithom and Edfu unbeknown to the troops on the other side of the lake, they begin their bombardment of Lisht, however due to an unfavourable wind coming from the direction of Devil’s Mountain, the catapults are largely unsuccessful, forcing the Spanish troops to engage the energy at close to full strength. The futileness of this is shown in the first melee as a swordsman falls almost immediately to an equal Eqyptian unit, the force at Lisht has been largely underestimated. The bombardment has shown that there are more defenders in Lisht than there is attackers in the force outside wishing to take the city. The generals sit and ponder over the big question, “Do we wait for reinforcements, or wait till next turn and hope for a favourable bombard rate?” A runner made its way to the other side of the lake and explained the plight of the forces at Lisht and as a result reinforcements have been dispatched at all due haste, but they shall not arrive for some time across the open country. With that in mind the generals of the forces around Lisht order that the troops there dig in, a siege has begun.

IBT- The Maya/Sumerian war seems to be going badly for the Mayans according to Isabella’s spies. The Mayan’s insist on attacking with inferior warrior and Javelin thrower units whilst the Sumerians counter attack with knights.

At Lisht the units which are now fortifying themselves in for a long stay, watch helplessly as 3 Archers, 2 Swordsmen and 2 warriors pass through the city on their way to Pithom. The plan was good, just insufficient rescources were allocated.

450AD
After a much more successful bombardment of Lisht the 3 remaining Spanish Swordsmen rush forward and engage the enemy, for no losses they are able to kill a spearman, a swordsman and a warrior. With no swordsmen left the attack slows down but the troopers at the forward units scream at the generals demanding that the attack continue, with only a weakened spearman in sight the battle can be won this year! After much pondering, and taking into consideration the consequences to the Spanish Empire if more Egyptian units are left to pour through Lisht, the General in command dispatches orders to a spearman…. Attack at all costs. The spearmen are apprehensive of attacking, as they have only been trained in defensive warfare, they charge the defender and are almost defeated themselves however God was looking down upon the battlefield and knew the Spanish cause was good and just and…..

Five more Egyptian workers become slaves to Isabella. The balance of power just went Isabella’s way.

With the capture of Lisht we find that there is but a single road through the mountains, so any unit which wishes to attack Lisht will (probably) follow that road, when the catapults can be brought into play next turn, it should be almost impregnable. The main problem is the units which left Lisht last turn, as they may try to retake the city.

On the other front, things are going a lot slower. With so many Mayan troops coming down from up north, and also with only one road going through the whole mountain range to Pi-Ramesses, Spanish catapults are finding it hard to get to their objectives. The Spanish generals wait and hope that these Mayan units will move next turn to allow the advance to continue.

IBT- Our embassy in Beijing has finally found news of interest to Isabella. The Chinese has formed an alliance with the Mayan against the Sumerians. This makes it very interesting, although China are even weaker than the forces in play in Egypt, its still two against one. It shall be something worth keeping an eye on to see how the war there progresses. Yet more Mayan units are pouring south, this is presenting a logistical problem Spain hadn’t envisioned. Messangers bring good news from Lisht, although there was a large counter attack, the units were able to hold off 2 archers and a warrior for no loss however an Egyptian swordsman was able to kill a Spanish Spearman, which is unfortunate. News reaches Isabella that the Sumerians have completed the Sistine Chapel.

460AD
With a new year and the catapults being reloaded, they are able to move into the town of Lisht, finally completing their objective, albeit several years too late.

In order to take control of the road coming down the mountain range at Pithom, a spearman unit will be forever on guard duty there.

this map from the front shows exactly the problem facing Spanish troops, however it does mean that there is no chance of an Egyptian counter attack through here, so Lisht might be required to be reinforced further.

IBT-Egyptians loose 2 archers and a warrior for the loss of a lone spearman at Lisht. There seems to be a lot of troop movements in the mountains surrounding the city.

470AD
Troop movement, not battles of any kind.

IBT- Egypt and Sumeria sign an alliance against Maya!! This is exactly what Isabella was dreaming of. A war on two fronts.
Damn, Logrono flips over to Sumeria.
The Egyptians move units towards Lisht, now its time to test the defenders of the city!

480AD
Kill 2 Swordsmen at Lisht and capture 5 more Egyptian slaves. Move more troops towards Pi-Ramesses

IBT- A lot of troop movement on the Mayan’s part.

490AD
Bombard Pi-Ramesses and rush in with swordsmen, kill a Pikeman and a Swordsman, leaving only a redlined Medievil Infantry however the only other unit which can attack this turn is a spearman, and it losses against the superiour weaponry of the Egyptians.

IBT- Seoul complets Sun Tzu’s Art of War. The Mayans are really moving troops down now, ts getting a bit more interesting, however Isabella’s wise men say that, although there are a lot of troops on the front, they are no match for the iron swords and armour of the Sumerians

500AD
With the turn of the new century, another objective is met by the Spanish War Machine. After a brief bombardment, Spanish Swords clashed with Egyptian pikes and swords in a great battle but in the end, Glorious Spain proved triumphant, capturing the city of Pi-Ramesses.

IBT- The Mayan “massacre” continues as countless Mayan soldiers die needlessly at the hands of the Sumerians.

510AD
Move troops towards the forward cities of Pi-Ramesses and Lisht, treasury is running dangerously low……

IBT- More troops move south from Mayan lands up north, and get wiped out by the Sumerians

520AD
Isabella is worried, normally her daily briefings involve only her generals and military advisor, but today is different, today all of her most trusted advisors are in attendance. There is a hush as the Domestic Advisor takes the floor. “Ladies and Gentlemen, Honourable Queen, I regret to inform you all, that the Spanish Empire is bankrupt. The strain on our economy to support our great armies is too much. I expect we only have ten years before we have to begin decommishing units to…..
“IMPOSSIBLE!!”, screams the military advisor, “do you really intend to weaken the units defending the Empire from the Infidels to the north!!??”
“The funds must come from somewhere, either that or we must return to a Despotism”
There is a hush, and eyes turn to Isabella. She is deep in thought at the troubling words she has heard, clearing her throat she speaks, “how long can we survive in Republic?”
“Ten years at present, perhaps more if we are able to sell Spanish Wares to the other nations”
“then let it be so, we shall stay a Republic until we cannot sustain it no longer. Foreign Advisor, see who is willing to trade. Your Queen has spoken, so let it be. Now, tell me about the war……”

And so it was. Emissaries arrive in all the capitals of all the known world searching for buying for Spanish goods. Thankfully the Indians do not yet know of The Republic and will trade 100 gold and Literature for the pleasure. This gold will add another 20 years to the life of the Spanish Republic. The emissaries from the capital cities of Maya and China return with nothing to show however the representatives in Korea fare better. The Koreans are unaware of the secrets of the Republic however they are aware of Monarchy, a government which would truly make Isabella a Queen, and they also are unaware of Literature, this information is important, but at present Monarchy is more important and a straight trade for The Republic is secured. Once news reaches Madrid and Isabella of such a government, another revolution is ordered (again). The “Queendom of Spain” will vanquish all its enemies.

On the war front, with Pi-Ramesses taken, a small force is detached to take the Egyptian city of Buto, the last city on the Spanish side of the Great Lake.

With Monarchy now within sight, the proposed end to the war has now been dismissed as unnecessary and the troops shall push on. As a result Isabella has demanded that, as soon as Buto falls, the main force in Pi-Ramesses shall press forward towards the cities of Hieraconpolis and Heliopolis. Fulfilling the primary objectives set almost 400 years ago. Also, at Lisht, with Egyptian troop movements light, a huge force of 3 Spearmen, 8 swordsmen and 11 catapults is sent to try to capture the Great Egyptian city of Elephantine, this city will be a great starting point for the Second Egyptian war, which is already in development.

IBT- The Sumerians take time out from beating the Mayans about to send an emissary to Madrid. Here they offer Madrid friendship, in exchange for Spain to renounce her ties to the Mayan and declare war. This alliance would guarantee Spain’s safety in the west, however Spain has a Right of Passage deal with the Maya and breaking t would severely damage Spain’s word of honor so because of this, Spain must decline…… for the time being.

530AD
Isabella orders the checking of the official records and when her royal clerk returned with the treaty, it shows and it roughly translates to four turns left until expiry. When that happens, Isabella muses, then we shall see what the Sumerians have to offer.

With the loss of two Spanish swordsmen, the city of Buto is finally captured, the Egyptians have been pushed back to their side of the Great Lake.

IBT- Sumerians capture the Mayan city of Tulum. Spanish units see no more troops coming down from the north, and even see some Mayan units retreat.

540AD
An Army of 11 catapults, 7 swordsmen and 1 spearman reach the walls of Heliopolis. Such a large city will take some effort to crack, but when it does it shall be glorious, because even outside the city, a great beacon of light at the objective, the Great Lighthouse

At Elephantine, 7 swordsman and 3 spearman reach the outskirts of the city, unfortunately the 12 catapults sent to aid the assault will arrive later than expected due to the wheeled units inability to cross great mountains

IBT- Spain looses a swordsman and a spearman from Egyptian counter attacks.

550AD
The battle for Heilopolis begins with a lengthy 11 catapult bombardment. Kill 1 pikeman, then a spearman….and another…….a midevil infantry…… and a pikeman…….. YES

Unfortunately there’s a Midevil Infantry stationed in the mountains around the city.

IBT- The Egyptian Med Inf is fought off however another arrives on the mountain range. The plus side is that now the catapults can now be used to defend the city.

560AD
On the other front, the catapults are finally within range of the Egyptian city of Elephantine. Although the attackers are wearly and worn from constant Egyptian attacks…..

With the capture of Elephantine, Isabella informs her advisors that she wishes peace. Her troops are worn down and drawn out and the Egyptians are beginning to throw hurtful blows.

Isabella and Cleopatra meet on a Spanish Galley in the middle of the Great Lake, a neutral venue which was easily agreed upon. Cleopatra seems eager to end the war and will even offer Engineering….. for a price, 177gold that is. A handshake ends it. The Egyptian War of 420-560AD was a bloody one, however, Isabella knows, and maybe even Cleopatra knows as well, that the Egyptian War would not be the last….

With the newly acquired art of Engineering, India are more open to a trade. They are not aware of such skills and also are unaware of the government type Monarchy. Teaching the Spanish people Feudalism secures Engineering and Monarchy for India. This now guarantee’s that the next Egyptian war will be fought with Medieval Infantry, Pike men, and Trebuchets.

Summary of Egyptian War

From the very start I knew that there would be a huge amount of fighting on the left side of the Great Lake. However I was hugely surprised at the lack of resistance after taking the city of Lisht, I was almost certain Egyptians would pour down there, I was even hoping for a degree of leader fishing, but unfortunately not. As you can see it got to the point where I had units in Lisht doing nothing where there was a nice big juicy target just within reach.

Taking the cities were easy. With the catapults even pike men didn’t hold up to even regular swordsmen. My main problem was projection of force. If I had left Lisht alone then I could have had all my troops to taking the left side of the lake, maybe even moving on Thebes, but obviously I wasn’t aware that the Egyptian army wasn’t willing to engage me in full battle and it wasn’t a risk I was willing to take. Another problem was just plain logistics. The mountainous range made moving catapults without roads impossible and the stream of Mayan troops hogged the roads and it took a lot longer than I had wished to take Pi-Ramesses. Also, the flipping of Logrono cut my supply line so reinforcements took 4 or 5 turns longer than they should have, even if they reached the front lines at all.

The Republic was also a disaster for me. I went from about 50gpt in Despotism, to -80gpt in Republic, which wasted all my treasury and in the end, forced me to change to Monarchy. What was worse was, despite me having 2 luxuries, furs and wine, the people were always unhappy and at -80gpt odd I couldn’t raise the luxury slider so for the reign in Republic, a lot of cities were in disorder. Definitely not the best way to try and win my first Emperor game. I shall need to wait for quite some time in order to gain the funds to upgrade my armies to Med Inf and Treb’s but when they do I’m hoping for a decisive thrust, following the catapults from city to city. All put one of the cities can be taken without taking the time out to build roads. Any attack will probably be launched from Heilopolis. But that’s in the future, right now, its time to build libraries and market places.

IBT- The Sumerians are moving a huge amount of troops across Spanish land, normally such a threat would result in a stern faced Isabella telling the country in question where they can put their troops but frankly, if they declare war, the Spanish Empire will cease to exist.

570AD
This year is a year for consolidating the new territories added to the Spanish Empire, defensive troops are moved into their positions whilst the offensive troops relax after years of fighting. Isabella has plans for her swordsmen though, the veterans of the Egyptian war will be rushed to the nearest city with a barracks for retraining in the art of Medieval warfare, where they will be given better swords and armour for which to crush Spain’s enemies. However this costs money and the long war took a lot out of Spain so this may take longer than wished.

IBT- The Mayans appear before Isabella and request that the Right of Passage between the two great nations be renewed. However Isabella knows that this will offer no gains, and, with the Sumerian deligation in the next room, would not be prudent, so the Mayan Emissary is dismissed down hearted.

580AD
With the current budget, Spain is able to upgrade one swordsman to Med Inf each turn. IT shall take time, but soon Spain’s army will be even more of a force to recon with.

IBT- In the post-war years the world has calmed down somewhat, The Sumerians are still looking to wipe the Mayans out, but the Mayans are no longer sending unit after unit down from up north

590AD
Spanish workers are put into overdrive to bring the countryside up to its peak level, all grassland must be mined and all plains and desert must be irrigated as soon as possible so that the Spanish War Machine can be upgraded faster.

Isabella, looking at a map of the known world makes a poignant statement………. “there is an awful lot of black out there”

Now begins the dark years of the Spanish Empire, and for the known world as a whole. From this time until 650 AD there was little in the way of noticeable diplomatic encounters, no wars, nothing, just rebuilding and upgrading for the Spanish people. In 620AD The Sumerians and Indians sign an alliance against the Mayans but this did not trouble Isabella or the Spanish people.

650AD
A Galley of the finest sailors in all of Spain is produced at Madrid harbour, its mission is to find new life.

Also worth noting is that the Indians, Mayan and Chinese don’t have any iron. And the Egyptian supply is within reach of the Spanish army should the urge take Isabella.

IBT- Zaragoza flips over to Sumeria. The Culture of Sumeria is crushing Spain.

670AD
India and Sumeria sign an alliance against China. This now means that India is at war with the two civ’s which sandwich her on the map. Isabella’s advisors severely doubt India can survive such a crushing war.

700AD
Sumeria ropes in the Koreans against the Chinese and the Mayan, its turning into a North Vs South battle, the only good thing is, Spain is being left along to rebuild her military

720AD
“My Lady, we have made contact…..”

Who they are?” Isabella enquires, “can they solve Spanish money troubles?”
“<sigh>, I am afraid not ma’am, they are the Inca and they do not even yet know Codes of Law”
“Are you telling me we risked the lives of those brave sailors to meet a race who’s mentally inept??”
“Yes my Queen”
“Doh’”

IBT- Renew Spain’s Right of Passge with Korea. Wang Kon looks different somehow….

authors note- I’m starting to fall way behind in tech

Maya and India sign a peace treaty.

730AD
In order to better get troops to the front, and also to repair the supply line destroyed by the flipping of the fools in Zaragozza, Isabella demands that a Right of Passage is signed with the mighty Sumerians. Isabella has sat about too long whilst the Egyptians live happily to the north. They must be destroyed, she wants war!!

IBT- The Koreans request the audience of Queen Isabella and offer an alliance against the Chinese. Unfortuantely this is rejected, Spain does not wish a war on two fronts. As the Korean deligates leave, an Egyptian slinks into the Palace. He has been sent personally by Cleo and was wondering whether or not Spain would like to join in an alliance with the Egyptians against the Chinese. With a short chuckle he is also shown the door.

Its now when tragic news reaches Isabella. Heliopolis has deposed the Spanish Governor and return to Egypt. 2 Spearmen were lost. War is now upon us, or it will be

740AD
“2 turns remain on our peace treaty with Egypt my Lady. After that we may declare war again honourably”
“Estavan Jae, tell me about our Armed Forces?”
“My lady, the picture is this,”

“With those units we are more than capable of taking the cities we want, the main problem will be holding onto them. There is a lacking of defensive units at the front, Army Group West has none at all after the rioting that ensured during the flipping of Heliopolis and all of Army Group West’s defensive units are in Elephantine”
“Can we wage war now and win”
“Erm….. ma’am, we can wage war this very second, and we can deal a huge blow to the Egyptians, however their counter attack may take our cities back off of us”
“Two turns until we can declare war again??”
”Yes my Queen”
“Find a solution before then”

750AD

“My Queen, this will be the proposed attack. Army Group East will begin the battle with the capturing of Avaris, if possible a light garrison will be stationed there to defend against recapturing. Then the majority of Army Group East will begin a long march towards the Egyptian capital. By the time Army Group East (AGE) reaches Thebes, Army Group West (AGW) will have captured the two cities of Hieraconpolis and Heliopolis. If needed AGW will then march on Thebes to support AGE, if not, then AGE will continue north to the city of Memphis. AGW’s final objective after Thebes will be the city of Asyut. However, this attack depends entirely on being able to get defensive units to the front as quickly as possible and also China holding down as many Egyptian troops as possible. With the lack of Horsemen and the use of Catapults, speed is not possible, it will be a solid, slow advance, city hopping if you will. Even the slightest delay will result in severe casualties.” Estavan Jae pauses for effect before continuing, “…..as you can see, the captured cities are marked with black crosses, this is because I believe if we cannot get the defensive units to the front….. we may be required to burn the cities we cannot hold to the ground to ensure that the offensive may continue, and deny them their use by the enemy”.
Isabella seems alarmed at the prospect, “Razing the cities?? Killing the civilians? Surely there would be retaliation from the other nations
“Not so my Queen, but one thing we would need to do would be to rush our own citizens to the scene to found cities on the newly aquired land before anyone else does, primarily the Sumerians”
“What are our objectives for this war??”
“Domination of the Great Lake”

760AD
Isabella informs her closest advisors, “War will be decled in 40 years, Your Queen has spoke”. Messangers were dispatched from Madrid immediately to Army Group West and East to change to a war footing, and expect reinforcements in the coming years. By 800 AGE and AGW will have enough supplies to complete their objectives.

770AD
Pikemen from all corners of the Spanish Empire rush forward to join AGE and AGW.

IBT- The Chinese offer an alliance against the Koreans, which is politely declined by Isabella, Spain needs allies, not more enemies.

780AD

Hmm, is that a city??? Doubt it could be very big, with it being in the shadow of the capital, might be worth a look.

20 years to do, more troops arrive at their staging areas.

IBT- Sumerians begin work on JS Bach. My god, if they get that…….. cultural win, without a doubt.

790AD
Spanish galleys provide more information of the world around us as they bring news of another people, the Celts.

Authors note- there they are, the evil Celts. Pretty far away, also for pure irony sake, the Celts own the Russian city of Moscow, its entirely possible that when I found out the Russians were destroyed, it was the Celts that did it

800AD
In order to hopefully trade with the Incans, the Spanish people gift to them all the technology they need to progress to the next Age. With luck they shall study the technology that Spain does not have and a trade agreement can be sought.

With the coming of the year of our lord 800AD, Isabella undertakes a secret tour of the troops at Elephantine. In the years since the plan for the Second Egyptian War was set, both Army Groups have grown considerably.
Army Group West now consists of 11 catapults, 4 Medievil Infantry, 3 Spearman and 8 swordsmen. 26 units
Army Group East is build up of 9 catapults, 5 Midevil Infantry, 1 pike man, 1 swordsman and 6 Trebuchets. 22 units.
With such a large force it is still unknown whether or not the razing of Egyptian cities will be necessary and the subject is extremely sensitive and is rarely talked about.

A deligation is sent to Cleopatra personally. Their demand is simple, teach us the secrets of Invention or die in honourable battle. They refuse, and war is again declared.

IBT- No Egyptian retaliation for the declaration of war. Both Army Groups at 100%

810AD
With no Egyptian resistance, Isabella gives the orders for her armies to advance. AGE will begin offensive operations against Avaris next turn, whilst AGW must wait before it can enter range of its objective.

IBT- AGE defeats an attack by an Egyptian Longbowman and a Knight tries to flank the Army.

820AD
For no losses, AGE is able to capture Avaris after a brief but successful bombardment.

After inspection of Avaris, Spanish Engineers are about to make an interesting discovery, the Egyptians are in control of the Great Wall of…… well Egypt. Taking Egyptian cities has just been made just that little bit harder

IBT- the only action from the Egyptians was the lone Medieval Infantry outside Avaris. Unfortunately a regular Med Inf’s defence isn’t a match for the attacking force of a veteran Med Inf.

830AD
On its travels a Spanish Galley comes into contact with another people, the Byzantine and their Queen, Theodora.

After a completely unsuccessful catapult bombardment, which resulted in no damage to the defenders of the city, Spanish troops charge the pike men of Heliopolis. With the loss of 2 Med Inf the Spanish attackers are able to kill 3 Pike men and a Longbowman to recapture the city and regain control of the Great Lighthouse. With the capture of the city, the Spanish troops are able to hear rumours about a Egyptian Knight unit is just outside the city walls, and is promptly attacked with Spanish swordsmen.

IBT- NO Egyptian counter attack. Hmm, wonder where they all are?

840AD
Make contact with another civilization, the Portugese.

Move the healthy troops of AGW onto the next objective, Hieraconpolis. When this city can be captured, the Egyptian iron supply can be cut, severely weakening their ability to project force.

IBT- The Sumerians have once more requested an audience with Isabella and her advisors. This time, they are greated more warmly. They only ask for one thing…… an alliance against the Mayan………. This time, Isabella agrees. SPAIN DECLARES WAR ON MAYA!!

On the Egyptian front, there is a great deal more resistance, loosing 2 spearmen to Egyptian Longbow men.

850AD
Using catapults meant for the attack on Hieraconpolis, an Egyptian stack of 3 Longbow men, 1 Med Inf and 1 spearmen, it is hoped that these units will withdraw and the attack on the city can proceed.

IBT- Maya and Korea sign a peace treaty. 2 swordsmen are lost for the loss of 1 Longbow men.

860AD
After the loss of 2 swordsmen and 1 Med Inf, the city of Hieraconpolis, 2 Pike men, 1 spearman, 1 Longbow man and 1 Med Inf loosing their lives fighting for the city.

“Tell me news from the front!”
“Well my Queen, Army Group West has captured the city of Hieraconpolis, its second objective, the Egyptian capital and her only iron supply are now within range of our troops. Army Group East’s advances are slower. They are bogged down at their first objective, trying to hold what they have gained, it may be…. Somewhat difficult for AGE to march on Thebes to aid the attack there. I recommend we ……. I’m sorry, you, send the remaining troops east, towards the Egyptian port town of Abydos.”
“And Egyptian resistance”
“It is growing, our forward troops fear as many as ten units are already heading south from Chinese land to help defend their homeland.”
“And what of China?”
“The Sumerians are just too powerful for them, I fear the nation will fall in approximately 30 or 40 years”
“Can our armies survive against the full force of Egypt ‘s army?”
“We don’t know, without defensive reinforcements….. we shall need to get back to you on that”

IBT-an Egyptian longbow man is defeated against the defenders of Heliopolis. Everything else is quiet and calm.

870AD
Move the remaining troops of AGE towards Abydos, 4 Med Inf and 13 Trebuchets (upgraded catapults thanks to the barracks captured intact in Avaris. The injured troops of AGW are withdrawn to the relative safety of Heliopolis whilst attempts are made to bombard the road to the Egyptian iron deposit but unfortunately these are unsuccessful and with no captured barracks in any of these cities (the nearest barracks are 10 turns away in Murica) the catapults cannot be upgraded to Trebuchets anytime soon.

All the catapults of AGE however, are upgraded to Trebuchets.

IBT- Sumeria and Egypt sign an allianceagainst the Mayan…… if they can do that…… what is stopping them from signing an alliance against Spain??

880AD
It was once noted at a royal party that Isabella proclaimed, “northing catches me by surprise, I am Queen by order of God Himself, I know everything that I need to, nothing phases me”.

This did-

Musketmen……. The Egyptians have harnessed the power of gunpowder. After the initial shock, the realisation is Spain must continue on to get to her objectives before the Egyptian army can be brought to bear.

AGW again tries to destroy the link to the iron deposit and fails. Catapults just do not have the power.

IBT- Nothing. Messangers return from the front with absolutely no news, they are sent back to the front with one command from Isabella, find the Egyptian army.

890AD
Whilst AGW sits peacefully in their captured cities rebuilding their strength for the assault on Thebes, AGE begins a bombardment against the most powerful defenders yet encountered. However God must be looking down on the Spanish people once more, the bombardment is a resounding success, decimating the defenders of Abydos. The small group of Med Inf charge the dazed defenders and, without loosing a single man in the mellee, not one…

The Med Inf capture the city as if the defending units weren’t even there. And Isabella was worried about the strength of such units!

IBT-
“The Egpytians move a Knight to within range of Elephantine, and a longbow man just out of reach. That is the only news from the front. The Koreans are also acting strangely my Queen, they are sending a great deal of units up the mountain range on the west side of the Great Lake, and the units which they sent up the east side have turned and are now heading west. We do not know where they are heading. Worst case scenario, they are going to try to take our Egyptian holdings as our Right of Passage with them ends very shortly"

THats me completely up to date with my story. I wasn't planning on writing so much at once but I kinda had a wee tiff with the girlfriend so I didn't really feel like sleeping and just felt like playing.

On thinking about it I think I could have handled the Egyptian invasion better. with so little Egyptian units I could have steam rolled through the majority of them before Cleo could react.

On comparing this game with the last one, there's ALOT more civilizations going about. In the first game the Celts and Russians took out the Scandinavians, English and Germans and on the other continent the Japanese and Chinese took out the Aztecs, Americans and the Indians. but in this game, everyone's in with a chance. The main factor here is iron. I have a source, Egypt does, Sumeria does and Korea does but thats about it. I'm not sure about the other nations though......

I'm wondering if Saltpetre is the same, if that is the case then I will be in a very good position because even if I personally don't have a source, I'll get one off Egypt. I'm still not certain if the Sumerians do.

I'm absolutely HATING the new Spanish traits, give me Commercialism over Seafaring ANYDAY, I'm having huge money troubles, and I can't change to republic because of my huge army and I can't disband the troops because if I'm going to take advange of my iron deposit(s) then I'll need to take out whats left of the Chinese and the Maya (I think the Indians have iron and saltpetre)

Things are going badly with the culture on the Sumerian border. If they get JS Bachs then I just dunno whats gonna happen, it won't be good. More or less all the border cities have everything including Colluceums(spelling) to try to dampen the Sumerian capital, but I don't think it'll be enough

This is so much harder than my last game

note the Sumerian culture.

the good thing is..... I'm actually not that far behind in score

could someone define what exploits I can't use? I know about the main ones, ROP rape etc. but how about sending workers to mess about with someone's improvements [whisper] Sumeria [/whisper] and make sure they're got enough food to feed the planet, but absolutely no production.

hmmm.............. decisions decisions............. do I wish to be deceitful.......... na, lets play this by the book. If I'm gonna get humped by a superior foe then I'm gonna do it with a clear conscience. That might change later on if I get desperate :p na just kidding.

Could anyone give me a link to the "rules of Civ", well I know the rules but there's a page somewhere with a list of guidlines to play an honourable game? I think quite a few SG games use the guidlines. I read them once but can't remember the link

Top Bottom