1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SpawnGroups

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Valkrionn, Aug 26, 2010.

?

What do you think of the SpawnGroup mechanic?

1. I love it!

59.2%
  2. I'm not sure. Let's see it in game first.

34.2%
  3. I hate it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. PIE!!!!111!

6.6%
  1. jacktannery

jacktannery Prince

We also need some basic naval barbs to make building a navy worthwhile in the early game, otherwise it is too easy to spam coastal cities with fishing boats, knowing that the AI and barbs will never pillage these. so, although boring compared to the other brilliant suggestions in this thread, I present these to keep players on their toes (the mobility promo is to deal with that damned kelp):

Pirates
    One trireme, mobility promotion.
    Tech preq: as soon as a player has sailing (common)

Pirate Fleet
    Three triremes, mobility promotion.
    Tech preq: as soon as a player has sailing (rare)

2. Torugu

Torugu Prince

Those are references which are meant to be fun - not fitting. Kind of like Eastereggs. Dire Hamsters didn't fit Erebus either.

(And I think they are fun BTW. ;))

3. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

I still think they are over the top. Not that it matters since I am not the one to decide.

4. orko_oskar

orko_oskar Chieftain

It´s Alive!

Victor, a Professor with Medic 1 and crazed
    The Monster, a fleshgolem
    Igor, a named but otherwise ordinary (mabye mutated) slave or worker.

Love the concept of Spawngroups by the way.

5. Krieger66

Krieger66 Lord of all things necro

Slavers:
    3 bounty hunters with command I-II, 1 cultist command I+II/combat I

wild vamps:
    2-3 vampire units combat II, mobility(settlers beware;))

cultists:
    2 legate combat I scourge, 1 martyr of patria scourge, 1 doomsayer scourge, combat II can lead 3 units, range 1, religious leader I-II, battle commander II

I can put up more if these would be of any help:goodjob:

6. dommain

dommain Warlord

Robin hood and his merry men
    Nomads
    Hunting party
    Dragon Clan- dragoon and dragons
    wild kingdom (all animals in a roaming stack with lion hero unit named Simba)
    Knights of Phaleaston - crusaders
    Sinistrals - evil lords bent on destruction of good

I still think each group could have an alignment that they are allied to so not every group is just another hostile stack, add background lore and priority targets for them to follow and target

7. Aoleleb

Aoleleb Warlord

Watch out! D'tesh has found this topic! :D

8. Jarwy

Jarwy Warlord

Where will these spawn groups spawn from? Ruins, dungeons, from fog of war as usual?

9. Krieger66

I actually go by bob now but ok:sheep:

10. sylvain5477

sylvain5477 Cerebrus father

civ 5 killed rife :)

11. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

seems like it :D

12. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Could? Sure. Will? No. The sheer amount of work that it would take to do that WELL, means it will not be done.

They will be standard barbs. Doesn't matter if they look like your civ or not; They are barbs.

Fog of war, more advanced ruins.

Nope. My classes have put it in a coma, though. :p

13. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

Well, I assume you will get around to working on it ASAP. This idea looks amazing, as I think I stated previously.

14. Krieger66

there are already unitcombat scripts given to barb units in base civ(i.e. defend, raider, etc) as I'm useless at the moment maybe I could help with the alignment-based attacks if I learn a little about the language these things are done in. I'm learning c++ which is probably useless...but I'll try.

15. Valkrionn

This particular idea is already in and finished. It's just lairs that need to be worked on.

C++ is not useless at all, it's the primary language used here. ;)

That said, there is a difference in what exists and what you're talking about, unless I am completely misunderstanding you. What you want is barb units who will be peaceful towards units of one alignment or another, correct? That alone can be done very simply. However, then you have to work it into the AI, so the barb AI does not combine a spawngroup that CAN attack a unit, with one that CAN"T, and move them together (IE, so the AI doesn't send a stack to attack someone, and find when it gets there that it can't), and all sorts of other PITA work. For, ultimately, very little gain.

The same thing goes for peace with certain civilizations.

If you REALLY wanted barbs that would only attack one alignment or another, you could create new barbarian civilizations. Easier, ultimately.

16. Krieger66

so basically you could copy the scions of patria, turn them into a barb fac, and give their "leader" a trait to cause them to be at peace with their origional civ?

17. Valkrionn

Oh god no.

Adding a new barbarian civilization requires a large amount of DLL work, with the way the split factions are implemented.

It is still easier than doing what was suggested, however, and once the new barb faction is in you can have a trait enabling peace (rather like Feral) quite easily. The only hard part is getting the civ in the game. :lol:

18. IronClaymore

IronClaymore Warlord

I've always been a fan of goblins, and giant rodents, so I present to you: the righteous goblin ratcavalry!

2-4 ratcav - knights with the goblin racial, ideally with a graphic of goblins in shining armour riding giants rats (I suppose it could just use the wolfrider art, but I'm a sucker for pairing goblins with rats)
    1 paladin lord - a paladin with commander promotions, goblin racial and enough bonus mobility to keep up with the cavalry

Late game, appearing after warhorses. Also devoted to a religion like order or empyrean. No one ever expects goblins to make a credible foe...

19. Tschuggi

Tschuggi SNAFU

Wolfgang (german name) and his wolf gang:

- Wolfgang: one blooded werewolf with promos: lykantropy, canibalize, drill I, heal while moves (marsh?), shapeshifter (wolf), commander, strength +1, marksmen (wolves act like this, always attacking the weakest. And: greater chance to create a fellow werewolf). it would be nice if wolfgang looks actually like a werewolf (graphic still exists, no?). Would be nice if wolfgang can upgrade a bit faster to greater werewolf as normal.

- 2-4 packs of wolves. Promos: cannibalize, lykantropy. marksmen, flanking.

spawn: midgame. Further idea: they should move in forests as preferred terrain. Can you make them not attack cities, but only hunt units outside min. +2 tiles from city?

Greez,

Tschuggi

P.S.: I like the idea of the special assasins. Would it be possible to make this a feature/option, perhaps when having researched deception, like "hire assasin" to kill/steal units/equipment from other civs. The more money you spend, the more professionel is the killer (better promos) and the % of success.

20. Krieger66

wow I guess I never realised how much work goes into barbs alone:crazyeye:

I think if they were in the wild civ they would automatically be unable to enter borders, maybe a leashed spawn already in a forest?