:spear:

pickle

Lord of the Preserves
:spear: i didn't think this really happened but yesterday i was plating as korea and the last unit in trondheim was a spearman.

i laughed and proceded to attempt to run him over, but my full health veteran tank couldn't beat down a lowly regular spear that had probably been fortified there since before time

I believe that in civ 4 a spearman can no longer defeat a tank. This is a pity because I like the random nature of civ 3 battles.

In real life inferior soldiers can beat superior ones. The tanks could all happen to break down, or the spearmen could sabotage them. Spearmen may only carry bronze age weaponry but as people they are no stupider than tank drivers.

I've only had a tank take 1 damage- suppose I don't play enough!

A spearman can still beat a tank in Civ 4. It's just next to impossible if the tank isn't already damaged. As the tank takes damage though the odds go up. But for it to have good odds, the tank would have to be extremely beat up. (As in be under a red-line as Civ 4's units strength is also proportional to its health. Actually, its strength IS its health.)

:spear: i didn't think this really happened but yesterday i was plating as korea and the last unit in trondheim was a spearman.

i laughed and proceded to attempt to run him over, but my full health veteran tank couldn't beat down a lowly regular spear that had probably been fortified there since before time

And Rifleman beating an Army, Pikeman beating a tank, Hoplite beating a MA...
You get the idea. Yes, I've been there. It makes me say bad things.:D

I believe that in civ 4 a spearman can no longer defeat a tank. This is a pity because I like the random nature of civ 3 battles.

In real life inferior soldiers can beat superior ones. The tanks could all happen to break down, or the spearmen could sabotage them. Spearmen may only carry bronze age weaponry but as people they are no stupider than tank drivers.

I've only had a tank take 1 damage- suppose I don't play enough!

And in real life, the tank can fire from miles away and hit the spearman before 1) the spearman will know the tank is there, and 2) before the tank is within range of a spear.

Thats why I dont even see how a tank would be hurt by a spear, or any other unit with a gun... And with armor plating, I dont see how a spear or a bow could even pierce a tank.

But nonetheless, its how the game works.

Thats why I dont even see how a tank would be hurt by a spear, or any other unit with a gun... And with armor plating, I dont see how a spear or a bow could even pierce a tank.
It's not going to happen very often but an unarmed person can beat a tank. The possibility may be less than .01% but it exists.

It's not going to happen very often but an unarmed person can beat a tank. The possibility may be less than .01% but it exists.

By cursing at it and hoping the driver dies from shock?

And in real life, the tank can fire from miles away and hit the spearman before 1) the spearman will know the tank is there, and 2) before the tank is within range of a spear.

But nonetheless, its how the game works.

A man with a spear cannot beat a tank, but an unit of soldiers that are virtually unarmed fighting partisan-like warfare can definitely sabotage a mission properly. It's not the spear part that makes it possible, but the intelligence of a human. They could disguise in civilians, lie and backstab. Or anything similar to that. So yes, it's definitely possible.

The tank driver could be outside... y'know. Call of nature, yeah that's the ticket!

No, really, Mirc makes a good point. Also, I'd like to repeat something posted in a thread like this awhile back: the unit animation is there for looks only, the computer only "sees" the 1.2.1 stats. This is where civ could have gone just one step farther, you know how the industrial workers look compared to the ancient ones, if the ancient units had a similar make over it would make more sense.

Think of it this way

Ancient age: Spearman with no iron armor or weapons
Middle age : Spearman maybe with iron, but not enough to qualify as pikes.
Industrial: Now uniformed, has no helmet or good gear, cannon fodder, probably armed with the left over muskets from the late mideaval.
Modern: Think of a paramilitary force, again no helmets, but probably very old rifles or handguns.

My point being is, these are men but don't think of only "spears" but any weapon that could be had.

I'd like to see a warrior modern replacement as a punk in a jacket with a knife or a baseball bat.

I've seen a warrior kill my tank...

Given that it was on a hill and fortified... But still.

It would be cool if the units 'upgraded' in the way Marsden describes. Can you even do that with modding? I imagine it would take quite some time, just curious if it is posible.

Off topic: Also, while I am on that subject does anyone know if farms, mines, and such can also have 'era tags'? SO that their graphics change when a new age comes in? I would like to do this to farms, mines, and roads.

It would be cool if the units 'upgraded' in the way Marsden describes. Can you even do that with modding? I imagine it would take quite some time, just curious if it is posible.

I'd imagine so, the same way that workers change images. I don't personally understand it..but yea.

-Nate

:( OK. Thought it would be and I just wasn't grasping something. That makes me a sad Flevance.

I agree with you. It's very annoying that they hardcoded so much stuff. This is one of those things that definitely shouldn't have been hardcoded, IMO. So much could have been done in graphical modding if this was possible! :(

You can do this to units I believe Nate because it reskins them using a seperate unit file. But for terrain and improvements, they have sorta like a grid or a bingo card. so it says "Use G-4 farm on this tile" However, you can only use 1 grid which I believe has a toal of 16 farms. one irrigation uses the "A-1" graphic. 2 uses something like "B1 and C3" or something. If you could use the source code you could make like an irrigation2.pcx and have it pull from a whole new "bingo card" in a different era. just assign a new irrigation.pcx file to each era and your done.

Stuff like forts and cities have a spot designated to their grid for the later eras.

I wish you could do that though. I would also want to change the barbarian villages and alot of other stuff too. I was so hoping I just didn't know a little trick or something though. I would also like to make an irrigation file for hills only. And put windmills, and pig farms on them but only have hill tiles that are irrigated be able to use those graphics. I am going to end up toying around with farms though. Cuz as is, when a farm a hill, it looks ******d, and eventually I cant even tell its a hill if I irrigate all around it.

Actually, they handled it very well in Civ4!

One spear can not defeat a full health tank, but it can damage the tank! And a damaged tank can be defeated by an other spear.

So you can win with more numbers if your tech is low. But It still prevents the classic spear kills tank issue a lot of people have problems with!

This makes Civ4 even more realistic than Civ3 in this regard!

Top Bottom