Spearman beats tank??? original story???

You must be joking, battleships can only bombard cities.

no they could take out all the defending units, at least in civ2 (never played 1). I always used battleships for taking out defenders in coastal cities. Then zoom a fast move unit like a tank in to conquer the city (battleships couldn't "take" the city, but could kill all the defenders similar to gunships in civ4)

I remember one of my early civ1 games, I was around 10 years old back then and not very strong player. Well anyways Im playing the germans and I had Phalanx stationed in Berlin when suddenly (OH HORROR!!) a Bomber is comming straight for it!

I guess u all know what happened, my brave Phalanx vigorously fought off that Bomber, and I remember visioning in my head this extraordinary battle my Phalanx must have put up! :)

Aaah, happy nostalgia :)

'twas a fun game to play even as a young lad, as I recall ;)

As an aside, I always enjoyed the graphics of the original DOS version especially. Some of the units didn't look realistic, but that made it more fun because it left more to the imagination. Once battleships and other modern era units rolled around you knew it was really go time (or that the game was lost). :lol:

IMO, civ1 amiga was much better for its perfect audio. i don't remember if civ dos gfx were different or not.
i played civ1 on amiga for ~4years and on pc/dos a very short time because i just started playing civ2 after that.

I once had a Settler... he got attacked by Artillery.
Settler won. I was quite surprised.

Then there was a Militia VS Ironclad...

I REALLY didn't know how to play the game (me and my brother always seemed to get stuck on the Earth map... Playing as the English was really bad...)
We'd always be playing along as we normally did, and then a few turns later, we get Mech Inf/Armour stomped. Sometimes the Phalanxes destroy one or two, but they win, we lose...

IMO, civ1 amiga was much better for its perfect audio. i don't remember if civ dos gfx were different or not.
i played civ1 on amiga for ~4years and on pc/dos a very short time because i just started playing civ2 after that.

maybe Amiga had nice audio, but ooooh I love the PC-speaker music on civ1 :D favorites: Aztek Egypt and Zulu theme music and off course Civil Disorder (mayor flees in panic : )

I once had a Settler... he got attacked by Artillery.
Settler won. I was quite surprised.

Then there was a Militia VS Ironclad...

I REALLY didn't know how to play the game (me and my brother always seemed to get stuck on the Earth map... Playing as the English was really bad...)
We'd always be playing along as we normally did, and then a few turns later, we get Mech Inf/Armour stomped. Sometimes the Phalanxes destroy one or two, but they win, we lose...

Thats some badass settlers! :o

maybe Amiga had nice audio, but ooooh I love the PC-speaker music on civ1 :D favorites: Aztek Egypt and Zulu theme music and off course Civil Disorder (mayor flees in panic : )

my fav civ theme music (the one that plays during leader dialogues) were roman and egyptian. correct me if i'm wrong but civ4 still had the same theme music for roman and egyptian :)
only difference was that roman theme music was playing lauder and more rapturous.

i also remember russian civ theme music as volga boat song. i knew that song much already from the famous album "soviet red army band"

my fav civ theme music (the one that plays during leader dialogues) were roman and egyptian. correct me if i'm wrong but civ4 still had the same theme music for roman and egyptian :)
only difference was that roman theme music was playing lauder and more rapturous.

i also remember russian civ theme music as volga boat song. i knew that song much already from the famous album "soviet red army band"

epic :)

It is not that difficult to imagine how Spearman can kill tanks!

They simply jump from the rock in mountains on tanks and stick spears into exzost tube. Tanks engine stops and it is just chunk of metal afterward! ;)

correct me if i'm wrong but civ4 still had the same theme music for roman and egyptian :)

Yep, iirc, all the Civ1 themes are included in Civ4 in one form or an other. The Russian music from Civ1 is Peter's, check out Peter_SFX.mp3 in the BTS assets/sounds/diplomacy folder and you can really tell.

Also, the Amiga civ music really does rock compared to the PCs, imho, but that was mostly the case at that time.

Only in civ4 did the unholy reign of the spear come to a close. I remember losing like four tanks to a spear army in one of my civ3 games. Offensive wars were SO much harder in civ3.

Agreed. As a matter of fact I didn't have any gripes with the combat in Civ4. I've heard stories and people whining about tanks loosing to warriors, unfair odds and such, but I have never experiencedthis myself and have played the game waaay too many hours already. (And come to think of it, I'll probably give it a few more hours, the release of Civ5 has given me Civ-spasms) one.....more.....ugh.....turn...

my cousin was playing civ rev (cant stand to play it myself) and he lost a tank and a wing of fighter planes to enemy pikemen

I think the actual "spearman v. tank" meme started People love to complain about Civ3's combat system, especially when the odds do not go their way. Plus, memes are fun to spread on their own .:crazyeye: That one's famous enough to get its own emoticon here..

Too bad we don't have Giant Death Robots, Radioactive Monkeys, and stoled pants emoticons.

On Topic: I don't think I've ever had that happen to me, but I've had plenty of 99.9% losses, which is expecable with hte millions of battles my game has simulated. I even won a .01% once to take the enemies capital early in the game.

I never knew that that joke originated all the way from Civ I.

my cousin was playing civ rev (cant stand to play it myself) and he lost a tank and a wing of fighter planes to enemy pikemen

A tank lost to a pike is not uncommon. A single Tank has an Attack of 10, and a Pikeman Army (3 pikeman merged into one super-unit) has a defense of 9. Now a wing of fighters (18 Attack) is a different story. Are you sure it wasn't 1 fighter (Attack 6)?

Stil, the CivRev combat system is pretty bad. Any single unit is just cannon fodder, they really won't be able to accomplish much. You need to form armies to actually do much. In fact, its possible to lose a tank to an archer (albeit in Army form), the first defensive unit (if you're fighting England, with their Longbow Archer uu, which has a defense score of 3).

no they could take out all the defending units, at least in civ2 (never played 1). I always used battleships for taking out defenders in coastal cities. Then zoom a fast move unit like a tank in to conquer the city (battleships couldn't "take" the city, but could kill all the defenders similar to gunships in civ4)

this reminded me of the helicopter units in civ 2 :lol:

in civ 2 the idea was, that helicopter is air unit that can stay in forever, but must refuel, so it lost 2hp (of30) each turn..... so there was alway plenty of AI helicopters on 1hp venturing the countryside and redy to be shot down by spearmens or whatever

Top Bottom