Spelling Bees

Gooblah

Heh...
Did you participate in them? did you lose? win? Are they teh stoopid?

If you want to know, I'm watching the Wayne Country Scripps Spelling Bee...the brown kid got tossed out (making me lose a 5 dollar bet with my mom) because he spelled 'taciturnity' 'tasiternity'. He'll probably be beat by his dad at home, then thrashed by his mom emotionally. Oh wait, some skinny white girl just won. :lol: Her parents are hugging each other because they raised an antisocial homeschooled girl who'll probably have no friends...ever.

I'm sorry. I dislike spelling bees.

Edit: Never mind, the winner attended Detroit Waldorf School. probably the same effect as being an antisocial homeschooled child.

At my elementary school everyone was forced to participate in it. Didn't win, but certainly wasn't the first one to lose either.

Teacher tried telling me how one person lost first place in the state regional spelling bee, and I think it was more urban legend than any truth to it, but supposedly......

Announcer: The word is 'Buggy'.

Girl: Oh, gee (I can't believe I got such an easy word!)

Announcer: Sorry, OG is incorrect.

you can only have them in the English speaking world since most of the rest of us have somewhat sane spelling rules (yes, you can have rules for that), having said that I think they are a great idea.

Did you participate in them? did you lose? win? Are they teh stoopid?
I was made to participate in them in elementary school. I won the school bee in fourth grade and went to the county bee, but the list of words that they gave us all to study was missing a few pages and I went out on a word that was on one of those pages, after getting to the final ten or so.

I liked the geography bee better back in the day. Good times.

I remember vague memories of having them in elementary and maybe middle school. I recall the winners of them being given a huge list of words to memorize for some inter-school competition.

There was also a geography bee. I vividly remember everyone being surprised when one kid got the answer "Sri Lanka" correct. I think that kid still brags about it.

What the hell is a geography bee.

I alwyas suked ate speling bes.

I can't really see much point in teaching kids the intricacies of the madness of the English language, at least not to that level. Glad we were don't bother with them over here.
I was in a local team-based geography quiz thing when I was 14, though, and that was kind of fun. At the very least, the content was halfway interesting. Don't think you'd call it a "bee", though...

What the hell is a geography bee.
My middle school had a geography bee. One of my best friends made it to the finals, where he decided screw it and wrote "Harry Potter Land" for one of the answers. One of the funniest days of my short life.

My middle school had a geography bee. One of my best friends made it to the finals, where he decided screw it and wrote "Harry Potter Land" for one of the answers. One of the funniest days of my short life.
Once upon a time I got to the national bee. There's still a picture floating around of me with Alex Trebek somewhere in my parents' house.

I usually won my class and then came in like fifth for the school. This was in elementary school.
The geography bee is much better than the spelling bee.
Agreed. I usually placed about the same in this except maybe top ten rather then fifth. But this only happened in middle school. Still, it was a lot more fun.

I was forced to in primary school. I lost quickly in all the one's I was forced to participate in. Sometimes on purpose because I'm stubborn and I hate being forced to do anything but mostly because I have awful spelling in all my languages. Thought my English has improved I think noticeably.

I suck at spelling bees, and spelling in general. As my late uncle used to say, it takes a pretty dull mind to be able to only come up with a single way to spell a word.

When I was in elementary school (I don't recall if it was 5th or 6th grade) I was selected to represent my homeroom in the school geography bee, even though I had been out sick the week before when they did the preliminary quiz that was suppose to decide who would represent us. I don't think I even knew I was supposed to be in it until 10 minutes before it started, whereas most participants had known for a week and been studying. I did fairly well, even though as it continued I started feeling sick again. I ended up coming in second, because I was hallucinating a little and couldn't comprehend a single word of final question. When I went home that day I took my temperature and found I had a fever of around 106 degrees Fahrenheit and was then taken to the hospital, where my fever reached over 107 before going back down.

Top Bottom