spies, continued

!

Thanks Abe, I'm always stunned by how nice and useful people on this board are - outside of the MTDG and OT ;)

edit: while I'm here, I think I'm tempted to do something wild for style points.

Do you think what I'm thinking??

Spoiler something way dumb :

... and just IMAGINE that in RL.

Do actual cities count? We could gift away/raze Cologne and re-settle ... :p

Good little turnset here I think, despite the caricaturally gross city management/MM with health issues, I don't think I messed this game up.

We have had some luck with spies,

Spoiler gifts from Capac :

But it was not all luck.

So this is where we're at: short Artillery but headed towards modern armors.

Spoiler tech tree :

Oh, and I forgot: we've been at war with the zulus for 7 turns, we have acquired 8 cities on a whole island and 2 beachheads, their East coast literally looks like 1939 Poland (Shaka still didn't get the memo about Sumeria hitting his flank - we have only been attacked once, by a catapult, and it was a worker re-capture) and the west coast is getting friendlier every turn.

We have many fighters who have been busy this turn, so invade the South-West whenever it's convenient ... I'm really not sure whether next turn would be wise - but it definitely would be fun.

Spoiler map :

There are troops to be airlifted from India still and the whole ferry thing to the west will become more and more obsolete as airports pop left and right.

All in all this is not the greatest masterpiece of logistics I leave you with, here, but it's not like I was leaving you with a dull end-game milking run :D

The Admiral is up.

Attachments

• AK-01_AD-1860.CivBeyondSwordSave
    426.3 KB · Views: 76
Hello my pretties!

Firstly, apologies for the absence. An unfortunate pile up of events.

Anyway, got 90% of it sorted out and/or pushed under the carpet for later. :)

So back around and happy to have a go whenever!

Seems the india wars are progressing nicely... and that tech tree looks tasty.

welcome back, trivial!

You can play before me, if the rest of the team has nothing against it and mitiu spares some enemy :)

Mitiu has been out of the loop. I'll send a PM. If no response by noon GMT Saturday, take it away TriviAl

Just off out to visit some friends. If I've not seen anything by midday on the 27th I'll be back with a got it... and play the afternoon away.

Hope all are having fun!

And here we go. Took a while as I played turns 4-8 twice - boy do I love computers crashing. :rolleyes:

This is no logisitical nightmare - looks good IMO! Thanks for the signs and pointers AK - they helped figure out the large number of units pretty fast!

I start by punting the culture rate to 10% - ridding us of a lot of unhappy faces. Switch one or two builds on the mainland to fulfill my grand plan! Then it's ready to go.

On the IBT it turns out we are the wealthiest with our 4030gold...

Turn 1:

Troops move into place. Canterbury is taken with a combination of tanks and marines.

Turn 2:
Lots of antiquated Zulu troops run about - shak brings in a stack to counter his lossees - it even has a sword in it. Our tanks tremble. - I bomb them a bit.

Radio is discovered - Sattelites is queued next, so I let that go on - game should be over before we discover much more IMO.
Capture some cities: Umungdun-thingamyjigger, Nobamba (with tourist friendly pyramids), Brighton.

Turn 3:
Zulus counterattack IBT - lots of troops suicide on Modern units.
Capture Babanango, KwaHlomendlini (via ampbibious assault), Hastings.

Turn 4: (same 2nd time around)
Nothing much on the IBT.
Capture Nongoma and Nottingham.
Destroy a large Zulu stack with one of my fave units - Collaterol damage tanks.
Line up a bunch of troops to lay some smackdown next turn.

Turn 5: (same 2nd time around)
Elect ourselves head of the AP by 241 votes to 8. The Indian civ is finished on the IT.
Capture Kwadukuza, Khangela, Coventry,
I dial science down in favor of culture - growing cities are worth more to us than Science at this point - very nearly done.
Zulus are down to 4 cities now - the end is nigh!

Turn 6: (same except the tank lived)
The zulus launch a heavy offensive in the north - they manage to kill a tank at the cost of a load of obsolete units - even had chariots attacking. :p
Capture York and Ondini - shaka down to 2 cities.
Shuffle troops for the last 2 cities.

Turn 7: (second time around I failed to capture London - had 2 defenders holding out).
Liz demands Assembly line - clear off lady - we might need to kill you!
Capture Norwich by amphibious assault, then London. Zulus are down to zero cities, but realise I need to kill their units as well.
At this point my computer crashes. Turns out that at some point it has dropped my autosave every turn setting - last autosave was Turn 4. Bah! Ah well...

Turn 8:
Capture London. Sink the last visible Zulu unit (a caravel) - they still aren't dead though.
Shuffle troops to heal.

At this point I was going to stop - but decided to press enter and see how close the cities coming out of revolt would take us...

Score is 79439 - Augustus Caeser level...

Thanks very much for this game - was a lot of fun! Unfortunately it's 1:10am and I have work tomorrow - will write a little more tomorrow.

Have included the save from the end of the turn before victory for those that want the scoreboard and victory stuff.

Attachments

• AK-01 AD-1876.CivBeyondSwordSave
    441.7 KB · Views: 62
:salute:

Good job everyone :thumbsup:

It was actually nice to be able to draw directly on the map, though I wish there would be a set of colors to use. Is there a way to use drawn lines in normal view, without going up to the globe? I know alt+s for signs but couldn't figure out lines IIRC. Btw I think the chariot deserves a :spear: mention for trying.

I also like the fact we have 1.5 times the score of the rest of the world combined :D

This was a blast.

I pretty much expected to hit dom-limit this round and Trivial made a good job rounding this game up.

Everyone played very well, I don´t see any big mistakes along the way. Because of such a great team, monarch is a bit low for us. Pity we had no strong enemy for a cold spy war in the end.

Only thing I to criticize is putting "require complete kills" on... GRrrr

Thanks AK for setting this up.

It was a really fun final turn there. Normally in single player, I'd have stop before this point - too far ahead and victory is inevitable.

First time I'd really used Paratroops and they rocked in the absence of a rail network - only had a couple, but they were getting used a lot.

Massed fighters were good too.

Didn't note it down, but I did use some spies - could have had artillery off the Incas, but preferred to be able to see their cities...

Shame about my late game absence - hate it when RL things get too hectic.

Anyway, thanks for a great game - had a lot of fun with you guys! Hopefully catch you in other games!

@ all thanks for a great game. Spying, use of modern units, made for a fun game. too bad we couldn't build B's canal for "style points".

Thanks all for having a good sense of humor and playing along with the idiot mythos. Look for AK-03 in about 2 months.

BTW, now using HOF mod 3.13.001 and luvin' it. :)

Paras work great for cutting transport lines to a city you're about to assualt. You just drop them on the lines and watch the AI suicide.

I played a ghost set since I knew it wouldn't get back to me and finished circa 1910, but IIRC I had modern armor and MI. :crazyeye:

:salute: to all. Now go lurk AK-02 and build the views... :lol: ;)

Top Bottom