*Spoiler3* Gotm20-Spain-Submit or complete Industrial

Here's some minimaps of my industrial age. Thanks to Sailor Stick for educating me on posting images. The first image is circa 760, right as I finished researching Magnetism at the end of my Golden Age, one of the only techs I researched myself, the other exception being Radio for 40 turns after I pulled off the TOE slingshot. The second image is around 1405 when I entered the Modern Age, by ripping off the AI of course.
The 2nd image is a little misleading. To conquer all that Zulu terrain I stockpiled a stack of infantry and artillery to pound his cities into submission before the cavalry moved in. I decided to stop attacking the Zulus when I had them under control and Japan was emerging as the tech monster, with their Copernicus' Observatory and Newton's University driving them way ahead of everyone else. I stockpiled even more infantry and artillery, shipped them over to Japan, paid them an outrageous sum of gpt for an ROP, parked them next to Kyoto and just started shelling all tile improvements, city improvements, and population. Cutting off their capitol made me confident they wouldn't be getting a diplo victory, and moving this 'worm' through their territory wreaked havoc on one city after another before I could actually invade them. But still, not exactly a blistering conquest pace, eh?

Attachments

• gotm20 ia minimaps.jpg
    gotm20 ia minimaps.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 338
Here's Isabella at the end of the Industrial Age in a diplomatic discussion with Tokugawa over his alarming tech pace:

Attachments

• gotm20 worm.jpg
    gotm20 worm.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 374
Open 1.29f

Got a slingshot with a captured Great Library from the Keltoi about 1140AD. Went from Education to Scientific Method in 1 turn - not that it helped much, because Osman built ToE almost immedietely. Oh well...

My high risk strategy for dealing with the Ottoman's worked as follows; first I left a small city space at the extreme NW of the start continent. The Japanese, being the most advanced "Other" continent civ, colonised it pretty quick. So when war breaks out, 40-50 Sipahi go racing over my turf to take that lone Jap city (because it's the easiest one to get to - indeed, the only Jap city on the continent).

By using a few cavalry, I garden gated - let them advance, then blocked, then let them advance etc, until in the end I forget to close the gate and they got through. The Jap city fell ta couple of turns later - and 40-50 Sipahi (including one army) where stranded!

I kept them in there until I had plenty of tanks to deal with them! Of course, if Osman had turned nasty while they were still on my turf, my game would have been over very quickly indeed!

So, I'm now just hanging about for a diplo win. My nerves are completely shot from the strain of waiting, so I just can't face any more warfare on GOTM20.

Originally posted by CruddyLeper

Got a slingshot with a captured Great Library from the Keltoi about 1140AD. Went from Education to Scientific Method in 1 turn - not that it helped much, because Osman built ToE almost immedietely. Oh well...

Exactlly how did that happend? The Great library is supposed to expire with Education not slingshot you into the industrial age.

The best I had gotten from TGL is a tech or two beyond education since I got them all in the same turn but getting all the way to Scientific Method would have had to take a miracle.

or is there some 'trick' here that i completely missed out on?

Originally posted by flexo

Exactlly how did that happend? The Great library is supposed to expire with Education not slingshot you into the industrial age.

The best I had gotten from TGL is a tech or two beyond education since I got them all in the same turn but getting all the way to Scientific Method would have had to take a miracle.

or is there some 'trick' here that i completely missed out on?

It's a desperate measure, not a great tactic.

The GL's effects expire the turn AFTER you discover education.

If you let all the other Civs research past education, you can spend the gold on improvements (bearing in mind, that's Republic govt gold, not Democratic).

So, the turn after you CAPTURE (NOT build it yourself) the Great Library, you get Education - plus all the other techs that at least 2 other Civs have. :)

It's not a new idea... and it means you don't have banks, universities, hospitals, or a lot of other stuff for a long time. :(

I pulled the same trick in GOTM18 - only in that one, I had to sail over 1 ocean square in galleys. 55 galleys, 99 cav, and 9 armies (each army preloaded with 1 cav).

Only half the army made it over, and less than 25% of the galleys survived the return journey, the Jap navy being rather good.

My previous posts are here: spoiler1 Ancient Times, spoiler2 Middle Ages.

At 850AD I'd just finished taking over the home continent, learned Magnetism, and begun research of Steam Power.

America had been nearly wiped out by the Iroquois. The Aztecs were weak, Japan strong, Iroquois very strong. Japan and Iroquois were one tech behind me.

Since the Iroquois were my strongest rival I decided to attack them first. I wanted to hit them before they learned Nationalism. I allied Japan against the Iroquois, hoping to slow both of their research efforts a bit. In 860AD my troops had regrouped from the homeland wars and were ready to sail. 15 Galleons (7 from one coast, 8 from the other) sailed to the new world carrying most of the 76 Cavalry I had at this date. A few Settlers, Conquistadors, and Musketmen travelled with them.

Since the Iroquois culture was far stronger than Spain's I planned to raze all Iroquois cities (except one which had Magellan's, and the last few when it seemed safe.) I'd use the resulting workers to quickly build a railroad backbone in the captured lands. I'd settle a few new towns and rush Barracks and Harbors in them.

Since war weariness was inevitable for a Republic in the coming wars, as soon as I learned Steam Power I switched to Monarchy. I did no further research in the game.

The invasion of the other continent took time but the result was never in doubt. Conquistadors helped a bit, sacrificing themselves to rush ahead and destroy key resources. My Galleons sailed back and forth bringing a constant supply of fresh troops. I eliminated America while fighting the Iroquois.

I rushed production of some Ironclads and they patrolled the far continent's coast, destroying enemy ships. Since I was leaving land unnoccupied there was a chance of enemies sending Settlers on ships - I wanted to eliminate those as well as their forces on land.

In 1020AD I destroyed the Iroquois, capturing their last few cities instead of razing them. Japan destroyed the Aztecs in the same year, so just Spain and Japan were left in the world.

I immediately marched south to take over Japan. I occupied a number of ex-Aztec cities since they were safe from culture-flipping. I abandoned others when I found they had Japanese citizens. I razed Japan's cities - her culture was higher than Spain's.

In 1060AD I began encountering Riflemen defending Japan's holdings. She'd learned Nationalism. But by this time it was too late to have much effect.

In 1120AD Spain took the last Japanese city, for an 1130AD Conquest victory.

Although it is a pretty good result I feel I could have done better in this game. Had some bad RNG luck (galleys and leaders) which didn't help but I can't really blame that. I think my decision to research Pottery at the start wasn't the best way to go. And I feel I should have found a way to make an effective Palace jump. I also spent a lot of time reacting to events instead of controlling them, but that was probably inevitable in this game :)

Here's my world map in 1120AD:

Very interesting posts SirPleb.

My gameplan was similar to yours, but my execuition was way off.

I too built a Palace in Mohacs - about the only move I got right. Bad initial reseach choice (writing). Bad early war against the French (I wussed out far too early). A conquest for me would have been complete AFTER 1600AD...

But it's nice to know my strategy was OK.

Originally posted by CruddyLeper
Bad initial reseach choice (writing).
Pretty funny, there's me thinking Writing would have been a better choice. I guess it is just a typical Deity start - no research path which is sure to be a good thing, perhaps no research at all would have been best, or perhaps either Pottery or Writing works out as well as can be :)

Originally posted by SirPleb

Pretty funny, there's me thinking Writing would have been a better choice. I guess it is just a typical Deity start - no research path which is sure to be a good thing, perhaps no research at all would have been best, or perhaps either Pottery or Writing works out as well as can be :)

It was a bad choice for me cos the English got it first. :(

All I traded was The Wheel for Pottery with the English - who then sold it on.

Keeping The Wheel and researching Pottery would have given me at least one early trade, and quite probably a few more cascades. Oh well,...

Going after writing and Lit. at 40 turns was my plan, and even though both times somebody else got to them first, I had enough money to buy them and turn my prebuild into the GL.

I thought that was the most critical point of my game, getting the GL to be able to maintain tech parity through the middle ages allowed me to spend my resources building up my infrastructure to the point that I could buy the more expensive IA and MA techs later on.

Guess that doesn't mean that starting with writing was the right choice though as I didn't actually finish researching it.

Open 1.29

My industrial age began shortly after the destruction of the Ottomans.
I went for Steam ridding just behind the Indians who already had nationalism and steam

When I finnaly got Scientific Method the Indians were already advanced in ToE but I had a great leader up my sleeve so I got it first and 5 turns latter I had built the Hoover Dam... even before I had any factories. With this move I was tied in science with the Indians having techs they didn't have, but they had techs I didn'y have.
I kept selling techs to the other less advanced civs for cash and eventually for natilnalism and industriallization and communism, taking most other civs on the brink of bankrupcy, I kept trading in a way that if there was a chance of civ A selling a tech to civ B I would sell it first, often accepting bat trade agreaments but keeping everyone under control.
I managed to get Universal sufrage with a pre build.

The world was a peacefull place and my people were happy, I had rubber in my collony of Marroco (formerly known as Turky) but no coal :eek: even though I was nº1 in territory. So I had to trade it to some overseas power... I forget wich.

It was about the time I built the ToE that the evil backwaards and backstabbing Zullu entered Maroco and attacked without provocation. I allied with France and Kelts and rushed my cavalry and artillary to Zulluland. A few turns latter I finally connected Rubber and the Zullu empire started crumbling one city at a time me and my French allies rolled the zullu back to oblivion. I captured most cities since my culture was higher. Knights and musketmans against waves of spanish cavalry and artillery and french infantry... what were they thinking???

The ressources found in zulluland were precious and boosted my ecconomy, specially the extra rubber and wine that I used to trade for lots of cash.
Unfortunatly the french took hold of a horse ranch in Zulluland meaning that they no longer needed to buy horses from me.

Meanwhile in the Americas the Americans where extinct by the rampaging Iroquois.

After the anihillation of the Zullu peace followed, and with the discovery of refinning I was pleased to find myself as an oil baron controling several oil wells. Unfortunatly the price of oil was still very low... since no one knew what to do with it.

Then the English, reduced to free tiny villages declared war on me! and then I made a mistake... or not. I attacked them and destroieid a tiny tundra fishing village near my border.
And the French declare war on me. Turns out they had an old MPP that I had forgotten all about.
I enlisted the Kelts against the English.

The Third Hispano-gallic war
It was a bloody event and started baddly for the spanish
with the bulk of the spanish army south of france and the spanish heartland, devoid of offensive millitary north of france. The french took on th offensive by taking ciudad de hierro a small minning camp only one tile away from a french city (formerly zullu) that had badly needed coal. The French millitary then moved to attack my scarcely protected south tundra villages that had oil and rubber. The intensive use of artillary allowed me to slow down french infantry enougth for me to discover mobile warfare and in a blitzkrieg attack the French heartland. In five turns the french lost 4 of their main cities including Paris and 2 wonders: Smiths and Maggelans. And 2 others fell shortly after.

Meanwhile India was at war with Iroqois allowing me to catch up on tech... by now I only needed radio to end the in dustrial age... and Indians wouldn't sell.

Due to a faillure in communications I accidentally gave the French Mass production and peace was signed. Only when i demand french troops to leave they declared war again. (not knowing If I could reload due to a mistake I played on... when I found out that I could reload it was too late to turn back... anyway it had no lasting effects since the french couldn't sell mass production to anyone... I just panicked and thought that they had because I couldn't sell it to anyone only later did I realise that the other civs were too far away on tech to be able to buy it.)

The Fourth gallo-hispanic war was short. The french advanced into my tundra collonies but their gains were short lived. Soon france was no more than a small colony in northern america... I asked the iroquois to torch it, wich they did hapilly.

As I checked the war status I realised I was at war with japan...
a fact I had neglected because not a single japonese vessel aproache my coast. But japan had it's days numbered, Iroqois and aztecs allied against them and iroquois made peace with the indians.
I tried to secure a source of spice in the new world and sent 2 transports there with troops and a settler. No soon had my troops landed on an empty piece of land and founded Habana and made peace with the japonese the Indians declared war on me.

The long dreaded First Indo-hispanic war began.
I had just reentered democracy after a brief period of communism during the Gallic wars.
The first Indian attack was memorable with a couple of dozens of tanks, cavalry and infantry marching into marroco and failling to take a single city. Then my 50 or so pieces of artillery started ponding on the indians. After a couple of turns I had destroied 2 Indian cities (including a size 12) and they had taken two small cities I had taken from the french that had taken them from the zullu. The Indians had no oil, no rubber and some turns latter no horses thanks to my naval artillery and no saltpetter. Unfortunatly my navy was too small and the 8 or more indian ironclads forced my navy back to their harbours. The war was long and brutal. I enlisted all the civs I could against the indians, and again the kelts helped me greatly even though they were furious with me. They failled to take a single indian city but kept important forces occupied in the north for 20 turns while my artillery devasted the southern indian cities. Finally I got radio.

[open class]

40 turns on writing worked well for me. I missed it by at least one turn (at first thought it was exactly one turn, but realized later due to my lack of full contacts at the time it could have been longer), but was still able to parlay it into complete contacts and five or six techs for an additional outlay of only 30-something gp.

It is funny, though, the way second-guesses go -- I was thinking pottery would have been a better choice. My intial warrior went south, and so I was not able to trade for pottery until very late. Partly as a result of that (lingering deity paranoia being the other part), my pair of 4-turn settler factories in Madrid and Seville didn't get up and running until after 2000 BC (well after, in Seville's case). Expansion went well enough given the map conditions, but it could have been explosive if I'd played it optimally. [Only would have gotten maybe three more initial cities than I did, due to lack of space, but would have had them all much earlier, which could have made a huge difference.]

So .... interesting comments. :)

Renata

In my game the industrial age progressed slowly. America was at war with the Aztecs and Iroquois alternately, and Japan was at war with the Aztecs pretty much continuously. so tech pace oversees was very slow. Similarly on the Spanish side of the map Spain was at war at all times until the Zulu finally capitulated.

I was going for a conquest or domination win, and the war with the Zulu began in 810AD with an ROP rape that pillaged all of the Zulu Saltpetre, iron, wines and horses in one turn. This was important because they didn't have nationalism at the time but were going to get it soon, and I didn't want to face riflemen.

I had around 60 Cavalry which were split into 3 stacks. The first stack attacked a 5 pop border city. The city fell, but next turn the Zulus responded with 47 troops ranging from mace to Knights, retook tje city and a third of my Cavalry were dead. I counted the stacks I was that surprised, and I got that awful feeling in the pit of my stomach that I get when I've done something silly. My golden age, reasonable use of the terrain and flooding border towns with muskets (leaving my core completely undefended) allowed me to recover, but it was an enormous slog. I finally defeated the Zulu in 1170.

Because I had fallen so far behind in tech, the five leaders generated had nothing to build. I jumped my palace to Mohacs (Celtland) built three armies just for the sake of it, and saved the last for TOE.

I should have looked at the Jason calculator before the game. If I had I would have continued for a domination win. Instead I resigned myself to an improbable Space win and started to build libraries and universities like there was no tomorrow. I built TOE and from then on had no help whatever from the AI in research.

Everything then progressed peacefully for the Spanish, until the Japanese did something really stupid. They landed 8 riflemen near an undefended core city. (If there was a smiley for a shrug of the shoulders I'd use it at this point). My empire was fully railed, so I surrounded the invading stack with 60 Cavalry and 50 infantry, signed MPPs with every other Civ and politely asked the Japanese to leave.

The Japanese sued for peace on the third turn of war. Not likely.
Because of the ROP rape averyone had been furious at the spanish for a number of centuries. The Japanese had changed that. Now I just gave each CIV a luxury and they were all gracious.

I guess you can all see where this is going....

Originally posted by mad-bax
I had around 60 Cavalry which were split into 3 stacks. The first stack attacked a 5 pop border city. The city fell, but next turn the Zulus responded with 47 troops ranging from mace to Knights, retook tje city and a third of my Cavalry were dead.

That got to hurt! I felt your pain.:( I'm glad you were able to recover from that.:)

Mad-bax, riflemen don't require any resources. But don't feel badly about not having checked the Jason calculator prior to the game, as it's not available that time.

Conquest PTW 1.21

Well my second attempt at GOTM and i'll again not finish in time. oh well fun anyway.
i'm actually ahead in points at the close of the industrial period and I have the largest land mass but not by much. The strongest power on the planet (if not myself) is India with a 2 tech lead, and a well developed infrastructure. I think at this point i'm hoping for a diplomatic victory. Most civs are quite pleased with me. The ottomans to the south still have more military strength than i do but i have managed to conquer england and celts to the north. France was wiped out early on. I am currently trying to build the hover dam to keep pace with the Comps.

Certainly the game isnt over yet but with the movement away from naval power to air power the hope that a sea/bay struggle is fading. i say hope only because i enjoy tightly pack sea/land battles.... looks like I/We may expect more for the upcoming GOTM. I figure to finish this game as it is my first deity attempt and its going well. unfortunately that will only make it more difficult to finish next month. :)

open ptw 1.21

I entered the industrial age, at 480 AD, and researched all but a few techs in 4 turns, entering the modern age in 1110AD. The AI researched nationalism&communism.
By the time I entered the modern era, none of them had any of: scientific method/replacable parts/flight/mass production.

I used cavalry to take out the french, ottomans, and zulu. once industrialized i was building around 6 cavalary a turn on average.

I used a leader to move my palace to the western portion of zululand, bringing corruption down by over 200.

Here is my timeline for those who want to see it...

480: finish metallurgy, enter industrial ages
trade Japan physics for democracy + 209 gold + 18 gpt
trade Aztecs physics for free artistry + 18 gpt
trade japan gravity for 159 gpt
trade aztecs gravity for 75 gpt
trade celts navigation for 21 gpt
start steam power in 4 turns at 90% +248 gpt
510: Tours flips to me. it is only 5.5 tiles from paris
520: finish steam power start industrialization at 100%, due in 4
gift iriqouis theology. trade iriqouis education + printing press for gems
trade japan magnetism for 98gpt +134 gold + silks
trade aztecs magnetism for 58 gold + 69 gpt
I was about to start a war with france, then I found coal in my 1 unroaded jungle square next to avignon, i was already clearing that and

have 15 workers on the square. Yay!!!
530: coal hooked up. I have 67 workers now
set many cities prebuilding colosseum towards factory
540: golden age ends, industrialiaztion is still 3 turns away
Japan has military tradition
560: renew furs for wines + 6gpt, by adding democracy
570: finish industrialization,
Factories finish in murcia, barcelona, and pamplona
revolt to anarchy
580: switch to democracy
medicine due in 4 at 100%
590: bring research down to 90%
600: Barcelona coal plant, starts palace
610: Murcia coal plant, starts shakespeare theatre(likely to be placeholder)
620: discover medicine, start sanitation in 4 at 90%
650: Japan declares war on the Aztecs
sell japan medicine for 263g + 219gpt
trade aztecs medicine for 24 gpt + military tradition +18 gold
660: finish sanitation. start elecricity in 5 at 100%. rush a few hospitals,
and switch coal plant prebuilds to hospital
670: join lots of workers to cities. murcia now has 216 science (size 20)
680: bring research down to 80%. electricity in 3.
700: delcare war on france
capture marseilles (iron + horses) - no casualties
capture lyons (on lake) - no casualties
capture Paris - 5 cavalry die
capture Grenoble
capture Besancon - no casualties
the french now have 2 cities left

sell japan steam power for 837g + 235 gpt
sell aztecs steam power for 154g + 92 gpt
Ottomans are in the industrial age.
trade ottomans steam power + medicine + military tradition for nationalism
710: finish electricity. start scientific method in 4 at 80%
720: finish universal sufferage in barcelona
trade iriqouis chemistry + democracy for gems
trade japan industrialization for 184 gpt + silks + 565 gold
trade aztecs industrialization for 125 gpt
capture rheims
caputre chartres - france is eliminated.
research turned down to 70%, still on track for 4 turn research.
+931 gpt thanks to japan(638gpt) and Aztecs(241gpt)
740: finish scientific method. start atomic theory
switch murcia from palace to toe.
Finish TOE. get atomic theory + electronics.
start replacable parts at 100% in 4
750: I now have 6 cities making 2 turn cavalry, and a few more at 3 turn

cavalry
770: Japan has switched to communism.. uh oh..
780: declare war on ottomans
conquer orleans - lose 2 cavalry
capture istanbul - lose 1 cavalry
conquistadore pillages saltpeter by iznik
790: ottomans capture back istanbul.
finish replacable parts. start corporation in 4 at 70%
capture istanbul
capture iznik - lose 1 cavalry (amazing luck, there were i think 3 riflemen and size 12)
luxury slider moved to 10% because of ww in murcia
(no cathedral yet)
800: ottomans capture istanbul.
istanbul recaptured.
capture sogut with pyramids + sun tzu. there were 8 riflemen + 2 pikemen. I lost 6 cavalry, and several fled also
capture antalya
luxury slider up to 30%. corporation is still on track for 4 turns.
810: capture uskudar - lost 7 or 8 cavalry to only a few riflemen
captury aydin - lose 2 cavalry (maybe 3)
820: get great leader in attack vs izmit. my elite cavalry attacked a 1hp rifle, and took 4 hits before winning
make army with 3x vet cavalry. army attacks redlined rifleman in izmit....

and loses.
another 2 cavalry die before i finally kill the rifleman. capture izmit.
The ottomans are left with one city to the northeast about 10 tiles.

I give zulu magnetism for rop + military alliance vs ottomans.
830: finish corporation
capture Konya, ottomans defeated.
research back to 100%
start steel in 4 turns at 100% (refining would take 5 right now)
sell america nationalism for 95gpt + wm
sell india astronomy for 23 gpt + 70 gold
sell iriqouis gravity for 54 gpt
sell iriqouis nationalism for 25 gpt
850: finish hoover dam in murcia
870: finish steel, start refining in 4
900: declare war on zulu - they are at start of IA with no techs yet
capture edrine
capture Tugela
capture Bursa
capture Hlobane
capture intombe
910: finish refining, start combustion in 4 at 100%
sell japan refining for 223gpt +309 gold +wm
gift aztecs corporation
trade aztecs refining + steel for communism +wm +2 gold
sell america steam power for 16 gpt +39 gold + wm
920: trade japan furs +dyes +electricity for silks +185gpt +14 gold
sell aztecs electricity for 62 gpt
give iriqouis steam power for gems + 6 gold
capture ibabango
950: finish combustion, start mass production in 4. police stations help with WW

great leader emerges. army. army wins. switch pamplona to heroic epic due in 1. (switch from police station with a few shields remaing to build, due to pollution)
970: conquer Dehli (zulu)
conquer Bombay (zulu)
980: capture madras
990: finish mass production, start motorized transportation in 4
capture umtata
great leader Bartolome emerges - rush palace in Tugela
capture Bapedi
capture mpondo
capture Zunguin
1000: corruption drops from around 880 to 640
capture Zimbabwe
capture umfolozi
capture amatikulu
1010: capture ulundi
capture ngome
1030: finish motorized transportation, start flight
capture isandlwana, isipezi, swazi.
Zulu are defeated
set luxury to 0%, reasearch to 90%, flight due in 4

sell Iriquois industrialization for 69gpt +17 gold + wm
sell india chemistry for 22 gpt + 6 gold
1070: finish flight, start radio in 4
1110: finish radio

1.21 - Open

My Middle Ages Post

So we started the Industrial age with a bit of a tech deficit (at most 2 techs) and not much military left after my war with India. My plan was to get TOE and then hopefully Hoover as well. With that I could trade my way into tech parity.
At this point I was not planning on more war. Unforunately the Zulus didn't agree with that plan.

Here is the Spanish Empire in 1010 AD.

This is the turn the Zulu attacked.

Here is the Spanish Empire 40 years later. (OUCH)

Luckily at this time I was able to get my forces into enough of a position that I would only lose one more city. I did this by building a coalition of Celts/England/Iroquois/America. This took just enough heat off that I could hold my own with my musketeers till I could get the whole Nationalism thing figured out.

The alliances were an inconvience, but I was not about to break any more of them.

As soon as the alliances were up I switched to Democracy, made peace with the Zulu and used my last leader to pop rush the TOE. This put me 2 techs ahead in the lower tech line and I was able to trade my way to +500 gold from other civs and tech parity. The Zulus kept on fighting (without me even encouraging it except by supplying resources to their opponents.)

This allowed me to gain a signifigant tech lead. I have also used the industrial ages and my tech lead (allowing lavish gifts) to make everyone other than the Zulu at least Polite to me. When I got Flight, the other tribes still lacked at least Motorized Transport and in many cases even Mass Production. I am in a good Position to do a Diplomatic or Space Race ploy.

One interesting note is that the Ottoman Siphi never once engaged in battle. Because of my earlier betrayal I was unable to enlist them against the Zulu, and with no-one else on their border other than Zululand and Spain, they seemed content to just sit there and build wonders and other infra.

Originally posted by Txurce
Mad-bax, riflemen don't require any resources. But don't feel badly about not having checked the Jason calculator prior to the game, as it's not available that time.

This explains a lot. I was quite meticulous about keeping saltpetre pillaged, but I still faced riflemen, particularly in the three or four cities that flipped back to the Zulu. I assumed they were trading for Saltpetre.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: That's the final version
Ptw 1.21 My previous posts are:
Ancient age Medieval age :evil:
The industrial ages lasted 1000 years for me until 1485AD, when I won the game.

The Northern Hemisphere War (530AD – 640AD) I had just entered the middle ages in 500AD and got Steam power that the Ottomans received for free. I started to upgrade my knights and engaged in forward transactions, paying 1 gpt for 15 gold upfront from the Ottomans, Japan mostly. I upgraded my army and declared war to England as soon as our peace treaty expired. I was still bogged down in the celtic lands as my troops were cut by a formerly celtic town that flipped to England. Cavalry vs. Musketman was a carnage. My troops marched through the English lands and took the remaining celtic ones to complete my northern campaign I also started my Golden Age at that point. A leader from the English Campaign built my first wonder, Smith’s and my FP was nearing completion at Jaen NE of Madrid

Backstabbing from the Turks (650 – 800). My 150+ workers started to lay rails and I was preparing for a peaceful expansion and a faster tech pace when one Siphai entered my lands, then a second one took an undefended Entremont. The Ottomans also had Nationalism and started pouring troops towards my cities defended with Spears and Pikes (hadn’t upgraded). I was prepared to lose about two cities in the former French territories, but the frontline hold and was upgraded to muskets in a couple of turns. An increasing number of cannons were brought to injure the advancing Siphai. As SirPleb wrote, I did not attack in the first phases (I was not in a position to do that anyway) but allowed the Siphai to enter my territory, opposed them fortified musketmen supported by cannons in cities with rushed walls or above 6. Despite that they won about 60% of the time, and retreated about 20% of the time. I lost up 5 muskets per turn but destroyed up to 10 Siphai per turn. I took offensive actions but attacked in the former Indian lands where the Turks had not build up yet. I took about four cities, including one native Ottoman town. In the Indian lands I also snatched the last English town and a city that Japan built there. I was always in alliance with the Zulu for a 2 vs 1 fight in the old world. Japan and Azteca allied with the Ottomans and I brought America and the Iroquois at tech parity in exchange for their involvement in the war. Both me and the turks needed a brake to build up factories so a peace treaty was signed ( I only got 60g from the Turks). At one point everybody declared war to the Aztecs and it soon became clear that they would be extinct. So I sent some Cavalry and Artillery and took two Aztec cities, one with silks and the other with Magellan

Southern Hemisphere Campaign (1000AD-1170AD). As I had already built up my economy, I started gathering units for an attack presumably against the Zulu to get their Sun Tzu, and rush build Cavalry with my entire treasury (about 8K at the end of the Golden Age) for a push against the Ottomans. But the turn I wanted to ROP betray the Zulu, the Ottomans discovered Replaceable Parts. I had already built or captured about 50 cannons and Rep Parts was music to my ears. But it would mean breaking a peace treaty and a ROP with the Ottomans. I bought Rep Parts from the Ottomans only to see that they had one resource in a forest, unconnected. Sent all the units in and tried to capture three cities in a surprise attack that would give me Leo’s, the city with the Ottoman Rubber and access to them from my territory. About 50 workers were used to upgrade the existing Ottoman roads to rails in one turn. I had investigated the cities but the RNG was not on my side and only got the first two cities. By the way I bought Nationalism for gpt from Iroquois that had an MPP with the Ottomans. This gave me an idea some turns later.

Cavalry vs. Riflemen was no joke but I rushed about 5 cavalries per turn in my corrupted cities to supplement losses above the rate for replacement. Arty was being increasingly useful and their number was on the rise. My troops took half of the Empire when diplomatic relations indicated that a peace opportunity with Japan existed. But Japan had a MPP with the Ottomans. I had a friend at my place at that time and he thought that I was going to do a massive cheat but it didn’t feel like that for me. I bought the Corporation from Japan for about 600gpt (Monopoly price). I also took 6500 gold from Japan in exchange for about 450 gpt. Then I continued my attack against the Ottomans :D. The bad part is that I lost 1050g from my account and Japan never received them either ( I would have taken them back). But that’s a small price. I think Togukawa really felt that as from the next turn he exported Rubber to the Ottoman Empire.
It was 1050AD and my Cavalries were facing Infantry. But they were already doomed and my artillery regiments were getting stronger. The Ottomans were gone by 1110 AD. The Zulus did not get Rep Parts but had two rubber resources. I stroke them hard and they died in 5 turns.

The New world wars. The Aztecs died with their territory split between the Americans and the Japanese. Several skirmished took place before my main offensive and I lost the Magellan city. In the same time I built TOE and got Atomic Theory and Electronics. At one point I managed to make peace with everybody in the new world and sent most of my units there. I started with the Iroquois (1230AD-1345AD) and made alliance with both the Americans and the Japanese against them. But fighting Cavalry against Infantry in large well developed towns of a large country proved a handful. It took 21 turns to subdue the Iroquois with the great help of my ever increasing artillery (100 at the end of the war). I also started to get a leader every two turns which was used to create armies which were thrown first and pretty often died. One leader was used for Hoovers.
I was very worried when I ended with the Iroquois and decided to go scientific. Libraries were being built all over the old world, timed to be ready by the time our min sci to Radio was complete. An unfortunate moment further increase the time until the foreseeable victory would be achieved, I had made the Alliance with Japan against the Iros, within the Peace treaty to make it cheaper. The destruction of the Iros was equivalent to a declaration of war against the Japanese. And I was planning to attack the Americans.

I attacked the Americans (1350AD – 1425AD) and slowly advanced through their territory. After a long 15 turns they got reduced to one city bordered by Japan. Japan was next and it would be even tougher (1425AD-1485AD). They had 89 infantry (I stole Espionage from the Americans) when the war started against my 40 Cavalry (I always had about 40 Cav with about 5 built and lost per turn). I stole Combustion from Japan and started Mass production in 6 turns. But in two turns Japan was out of counter-attack forces and I took 3 core cities. I felt very bad but I abandoned all research and used all the cash to rush cavalries for the final push. The Japanese fleet of three destroyers had already sunk my 6 ironclads and were now sinking one transport per turn but in a desperate landing I captured the three Japanese cities on Hispaniola and won.

Top Bottom