*Spoiler3* Gotm22-Vikings - End Game Submitted

I've now read of people having Joe Kapp and Fran Tarkenton as leaders. How many Minnesota Vikings [American Football Team for those outside of the USA] were Great Leaders in this game? I only saw two in my game, Helfdane and Hubba IIRC. A nice touch cracker!

Thanks for solving that one bugsy! Those names looked very edited, but I couldn't quite place them...

Very interesting how differently some nations have evolved. England was a bit powerfull before I pruned them, but not that allmighty. America was almost non-existent.

America the whipping boys?

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/histogotm22.jpg

not in my game as you can see from the histo attached. They had polished off all opposition in their half of the world and I only made significant inroads into them when 50+ Viking tanks attacked them in the mid 18 century.

I would have left them alone but they may have won before my 1951 20K. Also as we were the only two left it seemed kinda inevitable that they would attack me from time to time. They never got anywhere near attacking my home islands, but it was tricky at times carrying the fight to them across the sea, even with super speedy boats (and thanks to cracker for that - it would have been v dif without them). This was made even harder by 7 turns of anarchy while at war - my democratic peeps voted with their feet so I went to republic when I could. Can we have a Control of the Media Wonder to help going to war as a democracy?

What I found frustrating was that i knew really early that the 20K would be achieved between about 1950 and 1970 and there didnt seem anything i could do to speed it up. I had a bit of a dodgy start (not helped by not adding workers to Oslo - doh), but later only missed ToE and Adam Smith (America both).

Got thunderfall town late in game. Earlier jumped my palace to the town I had built on the grapes in France. Imagine my astonishment when a town buit on booze came up as DaveMcW town. I assume this was triggered by the number of towns I had built rather than where it was built - neat trick if you could manage it though cracker !!

My first 20K win ever and a great map - a most enjoyable game and big thanks to cracker and the gotm team.

Previous post on Medieval era
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1169095#post1169095

1050AD
I was 2 turns from steam power. I advanced the two turns and no coal. This was a major strategy change. I decided to continue with my attack on the Greeks and my SoD was placed near Athens for a quick razing(see previous post). I advanced my sod and just barely took out Athens and my spot was secure for top cultural city.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/kb2gotm22ia1.GIF

At this same time, I enlisted Russia and France to help occupy Greece while I built workers and a railroad. I bought coal from England and started producing workers in every city.

My intent was to have Russia and France occupy Greece while I built up to take out Russia later but this did not work out so I ended up giving military tradition to Russia and I had to send additional troops. My SoD was destroyed but so was a contender for having highest culture.

1275AD
During this time, I prebuilt smiths using an army and the Greeks built smiths so I switched to Shakespeare’s theater.

1285AD
With Shakespeare’s built, I faced another dilemma. Other civs had been building Shakespeare’s and switched to U.S. This caused a very serious problem. I really wanted to fight in Republic and this would be very difficult without this wonder. So I stopped research, purchased 20 more turns of coal and proceeded to build factories.

I decided to build U.S. at a city south of Nidaros. The city was furthest along with a factory and had good production due to the iron in proximity. U.S. has less culture than TOE and I wanted to get U.S. going a.s.a.p. I could also prebuild T.O.E. with an army from the Military Academy in Nidaros.

During this same time, the world was at peace and the French, Azetec and Celts were elminated.

The world is still at peace and I had to micromanage in order to get U.S. but what are a few starving citizens? Along the same lines, I had to starve for almost every wonder in order to obtain it. I really do not like micromanaging but I did so for this game.

I set Nidaros on building armies while my other cities built a navy and other cities had factories built. I did this with zero research and waited for my 20 turn coal deal to expire while having coal plants in every city.

1490AD
Wars have erupted in the world but I am currently at peace and I have my original borders. I am currently researching radio and I pulled the TOE-> Hoover sling shot. I actively traded my two free techs for techs and lots of gpt plus coal/luxuries. I have more or less bankrupted the other civs. The techs that are next to research are: mass production, flight and radio. I choose radio due to its cost. There are 2 turns to go on Hoover and I am the only one attempting to build Hoover. On that point, this game is the only game where I have seen a leader created and seen a wonder created the next turn by that civ. I thought that that was an interesting observation.

1545AD
I have researched Radio and currently I am researching Flight. Greece is very strong in researching So I decided to research Flight and Motorized Transport by myself. I can only hope to get the UN before he does.

1560AD
My cities are building a Navy of battleships. England was very onerous about attacking my coast in previous turns and I wanted to prepare for the final days. My cpt is 89 with 3 turns to motorized transport. The culture is looking pretty good at 9776 culture in Nidaros. This would allow a cultural vic in 114 turns. I have a culture doubling for my library and University and Bachs coming up in the 1600’s with labs and the wonders of the modern era still to go.

1625AD
The tech race between the Greeks and I raged on into the modern era. The Greeks pulled fission and I had teched Fission just in case. I had two cities building wonders. The UN and the Manhattan Project. Greece completed the Manhattan Project first but computers came in just in time to switch over. When the wonder building race was over, I had scored SETI and the UN. It was a nail biting experience.

1774 AD With the wonders out of the way, I started to expand into Russian territory. In pervious turns I had given her military tradition and decided to wait until tanks to take over Russia’s coal resource. I look back and I should have started earlier. Russia was a push over and did not seem to have much infrastructure. Anyway, I currently have 112 cpt with 14792 total culture and London is number 2 on the culture chart. I guess this calls for an invasion.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/kb2gotm22moda1.GIF

1804AD
I pushed the Greeks out of my continent and wiped out the Russians. My late expansion has caused me a very undeveloped FP and I have other problems. After signing a peace treaty with the Greeks, I had one of their cities flip on me. I was not vigalent about starving down their pop in exchange for getting more build time. The flip occurs a few turns (10 or so) from now so I waited for the peace treaty to expire and positioned a fleet to make a landing on his last remaining land.

The techs I have now are: Computers, Nuke Power, Rocketry, Synthetic Fiber. I am currently researching miniaturization with the idea of building nuke plants and all wonders in this age.

My cpt is 112 and my total culture is 16472. It will take 32 turns to win. The end looks possible now.
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/kb2gotm22moda3.GIF

1864 AD
The turn arrived, I had eliminated the Greeks, regained my flipped city and took London. This ensured a cultural victory. My current cpt is: 128 with Longevity, Cure for Cancer and Internet all located in Nidaros. The next turn I break 20,000 culture.

After word:

This map was either ingenious or diabolical. The land bridge made early defense easy while the water made your cities exposed to English ships. Also, I could not produce lands units + sea units + build structures + wonders. There was just not enough land to do so. I probably should have expanded into Russia’s territory earlier but did not so that I could obtain one more wonder. I am happy with my game and many wonders were won by one or two turns and too much micromanagement on the city level.

On a final note, no coal was just evil. Evil I say!

Open PTW 1.21f

1st Spoiler

2nd Spoiler

British Invasion

When I last reported in, my little empire was just starting to mix things up with my neighbors. France had been evicted from my territory and I had just entered a war with culture giant England. England was a pain and was keeping a bit ahead of me in tech. My first act was to burn the city of York to the ground, taking the Hanging Gardens, Leo’s Workshop and Smith’s Trading Company with it. I then managed to raze 3 other large cities in England’s core and knocked England from contention for quite a while.

By this point all the major civs were well equipped with cavalry, and riflemen would soon make my berserks obsolete. After England I had to stop my plundering ways. This did not mean the end of wars – I would just become an instigator and bunker up on my secluded island. France was really my only threat, so I made a point to always have France on my side, even if Joan would never forgive me for razing her cities.

A superpower finally emerges

Through the first half of this game, a fine balance among nations had been maintained. The early threat, the Russians, were ganged up on and dispatched. I then knocked England down a notch. China then began to emerge as the top dog but was a bit smaller than the less advanced Americans. My biggest worry at the end of my last spoiler was China taking on America and winning all that territory. In 1385 my fears came true. Sort of. China declared war on America and at first it was a stale mate. Neither side made any progress and in 1440 peace was made. Same turn, however, China demanded Scientific Method and declared war when I refused (I still hadn’t finished ToE.) I gave America 525g to keep China out of my hair. America proceeded to chew China up and I suddenly had a monster on my hands – just not the one I expected.

Oslo built ToE in 1490, Universal Suffrage in 1495 (Inwaaer had been produced in the British Invasion) and Hoover Dam in 1590. Other than Wall Street, Intelligence Agency and Battlefield Medicine this would be it for Oslo’s culture builds. This should be plenty if I could just keep America from launching into space or from winning a diplomatic vote.

The rest of my game would be a nonstop juggling act of wars aiming mainly at America. I’m sure everyone was at war with everyone else at least twice. At one point I had France, Greece and myself at war with the rest of the world. The only constant was my MPP with France. I paid a fortune for this throughout the game as France was the only civ capable of really hurting me. Other than one American medieval infantry, no enemy stepped foot on my land. England bombed the heck out of Oslo’s mines till I got fighter planes installed, but Oslo wasn’t doing much other than building battleships by then.

My First 20k Win

I was the first to reach the Modern Ages in 1834 and with a projected win in 100 years I breathed a sigh of relief. All I had to do was stay alive and I was sure to reach 20k before anyone could launch. America built the UN, but by this point everyone hated everyone else and no vote was ever called. A bunch of “end turns” scattered with pollution cleanup every few turns followed. In 1926 I made peace with my last enemy, England, and coasted to 20k in 1936!

I finished with a puny 1616 points (2000 Jason score) and the title of Ragnar Lodbruk the Fair.

My Thoughts on 5CC

I really enjoyed this game. The pace was fast and I got to concentrate on building my cities up. It was also really fun being the puppetmaster behind 1500 years of world war. The tech pace ended up being really slow. By 1936 America had just reached Nuclear Power. Computers, Rocketry and Fission were also known, but I didn’t really see any way anyone could have launched until around 2000.

This start position worked great for this strategy. There were 5-6 great sites for cities and we were well protected from invasion. I had to trade with France for coal and oil, but with only 5 cities I didn’t pay much (I think it was around 50gpt each.) I missed out on uranium by one tile but I never really had any use for it. All in all one of my more memorable games. :)

In my game the Americans took over the entire eastern hemisphere. After this, they constantly harrassed me with petty wars in which they would just bombard my coastlines (I've never been a fan of large navies).

Their wars accomplished their goals though. They kept me from maximizing my tech pace and building improvements. I was constantly preparing for war.

The English had the tech lead thoughout most of the game and they threatened to send a space ship before the Americans so I took them out first. In the time it took me to do this, I lost the game because the Americans got the tech needed for their last space ship part before I could fully mobilize against them.

Oh..., it was just the Americans, English, Vikings and Greeks left toward the end. The Greeks had a small parcel of land. I left them alive so I could occasionally steal tech from them. I had to resort to this because of the damned Americans never left me alone for more than a few turns at a time.

In future games I'll start posting more detailed assessments of my games with pictures. I'm just getting the hang of these boards and the games and all the things that go with it. I've already managed to piss Cracker off once. Oops.

I might even participate in these Qsc things. The worst part of my game is the ancient age. The funny thing (or maybe not) is that I haven't gotten significantly better at Civ III since I began playing the GOTM's.

Ghostwind

Originally posted by smackster
An unrelated general question on the start is that I checked the dip screen every turn for every civ from the start but was unable to buy any workers until 490BC from France. Did others have more luck.
The 1st worker I got from trading was in 290BC, and I'm pretty sure there weren't any opportunities earlier. I didn't do that much trading in this game as I was avoiding trading techs to keep the tech pace low, and was at war too much to make resource/luxery trading viable most of the time, so didn't check whether the AI's had workers very often. I had quite a stack of "guest" workers, but most of them were captured rather than traded, with lots of (then unneeded) workers at the end where I was razing the American cities (to avoid domination win).

Sabre,
That was a great job with a 5CC! I'm impressed and will have to go over your QSC when it comes out.

Sir Bugsy - Actually I forgot to save my game at 1000bc. I didn't notice this until a little after 1ad and since I wasn't getting much of a score anyway I just didn't bother this month. I do have my notes, so I can throw one together and post it here along with a save file from 1175bc.

<edit - I just ended up posting my complete notes due to laziness>

Save game from 1175bc

Save game from 1934ad 1 turn from victory

My notes

Thanks Sabre. Good Info and another example I can learn from.

open 1.29f

I lost this game my 3rd loss of 3 games, however i believe i did much better, i kept up in technology & even though i was at war with everyone cause i launched a tatical nuke at england(i thought only icbms made everyone mad.) i managed not to lose a main city the whole game.(just little colonys across the sea.) I survived till america won by spaceship. i belive 2 civs were eliminated(france very early on and aztecs by america.

1st Spoiler

I continued my 2CC, but will not be able to finish because I am leaving town tomorrow.

I declared war whenever someone had a settler by my colonies. I used my elites every time I could. This worked out getting me 4 leaders throughout the game. In the middle ages I built:

Cathedral - 280ad
Sistine Chapel – 400ad
Leonardo's Workshop - 650ad
University - 660ad
Magellan's Voyage - 830ad
JS Bach’s Cathedral - 840ad
Smith's Trading Company - 1000ad
Shakespeare’s Theater – 1265ad
Newton’s University – 1270ad

And in the industrial age I built Universal Suffrage in 1430ad. With these I would have gotten a 20k in 1862, but I know I could have built TOE and hoover.

I think the best city sites for 20k were nw, nw of the grassland cows and e, e of the start position. Not having the free aquaducts really hurt me.

I won't be submitting this month. I would if resignation was allowed. I got off to a late start this month, but thought I was doing pretty good. I figured I had no chance at the 20K so I went with min research and just tried to hang in there.

I managed to control my continent after taking over France's few cities and entered in a long series of wars with Russia. I was way behind in research - no tanks while the English had air forces, battleships and mech. infantry. No one would trade techs with me so I had to start doing my own research.

By 1900 I had eliminated Russia and Greece and there were only three civs left. I controlled two continents except for five scattered English cities. The Americans had their continent and the English had all the rest.

By 1950 I acquired tanks and quickly built 3 tank armies. I made an alliance with America and attacked England. I managed to take the five English cities and thought I was doing pretty good. Since I had no way to menace the rest of England's territory I tried to make peace but they wouldn't speak to me.

Then it happened. The next turn they hit me with five nukes. Within 5 turns, they nuked 16 of my cities and there was nothing I could do. I'm too depressed to play it out.

Originally posted by UTBear

Then it happened. The next turn they hit me with five nukes. Within 5 turns, they nuked 16 of my cities and there was nothing I could do. I'm too depressed to play it out.

It might not be as hopeless as it seems. I've actually won games where I've been repeatedly nuked (I'm talking dozens). With a large army of workers it's possible to get a nuked city back on its feet surprisingly quickly. Plus, the AI's targetting is not always the most devastating, sometimes going for smaller towns or repeatedly hitting the same target.

Having a very large number of workers fortified in a city does seem to make it a target and you need workers most of all now. Get your workers spread out. Another thing to keep in mind is that the enemy population is experiencing extreme war weariness and their productivity could be dropping as much as yours. Somehow my civ's weariness didn't reach the levels I thought it would. And, once the initial barrage is over it can take a long time for the enemy to build another nuke.

My master plan of world domination failed. I was going to try for a record losing score. The plan was to reduce my rivals to a single city. I would then gift them all the space tech and improve their land until they built a spaceship.

Nice idea but as usual I tripped up in the detail. An unexpected expansion pushed me over the domination limit so I'm sad to have to report a wretched win. Maybe I should use Mapstat more often......

Better luck in GOT23. Aiming at an 8k+ losing score.

Civ 1.29b2 MAC

Industrial Age

The Greeks were the tech leaders by two techs over the Vikings and Chinese and Russians. Then they did something stupid: they declared war on the Russians. The Russian empire was larger and more compact than the Greeks which was spread out with half their cities over by the Chinese. The Greek invasion of Russia was smashed by waves of cossacks and I’m sure the Greeks triggered the Russian golden age. The Vikings took advantage of the Russian hard work and picked off Sparta (had silks). A great leader was born and created an ill fated cav army which died assaulting a musketman in a city. The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away. Another great leader gave me universal sufferage. I had to build quickly as the Greeks were close to completing it. So it was not in Nidaros.

The Greeks recruited the Chinese and we have a world war. It was Greece, China and the Celts vrs Russia, English, Aztecs and the glorious Vikings. The Chinese tried to counter attack near the recently liberated Greek town on the formerly English continent. They landed a Cav SOD beside my local army entrenched in the mountains. Norse cannon fire poured down from the mountains, then a wave of Norse cavalry (including Ragnar’s Roughnecks) obliterated them. A great leader was born and he hurried back to Nidaros to build TOE. The Vikings became the tech leaders as the war had slowed Greek research.

Meanwhile on the Greek front Sparta flipped back taking a pile of recuperating units with it. When the Greeks started the war Sparta had 12 pop. The Greeks drafted some citizens and after I retook it Sparta was down to 2 or three. A worker build left plenty of space for the new wave of Viking immigrants. The Russians pressed on for Athens which was pop 12 but now only 4. Russia softened up the Athenian defense and then the Norse Cavalry took it. That left Thermopolye as the only remaining Greek city on that continent. It fell shortly thereafter and generated a great leader who hurried home to Nidaros to build Hoovers. The captured Greek cities came fully improved with police stations, banks, marketplaces and some factories so I kept them.

Interestingly the Russians had no iron and no horses so in the later stages of the Greek war they were using riflemen and longbows to mess with the Greeks. I gave the Russians my spare iron so they could build more ironclads to bash the Chinese. I didn’t give them horses as they would build cossacks whose only purpose would be to attack me! Meanwhile a very annoying Chinese fleet was bombarding the English east coast. I started building a large fleet of ironclads to solve that problem. I usually don’t build much of a navy until after destroyers are available. My recently upgraded artillery persuaded many Chinese naval vessels to go home.

However, the next time I sat down to play a couple of hours, I decided to make peace with the Greeks and Chinese. I decided that the short peace was beneficial to me as I could build factories in all my mainland cities (take advantage of Hoover’s) and research to mass production to allow a modern navy. Pollution was also becoming an issue and I needed to build more workers to repair/upgrade infrastructure and fight pollution. I also wanted a reserve available to take any oil, in case I didn’t have any. At this point the plan was: wipe out the English, prepare for another war with Greece, secure oil, build a navy to deal with China, wait for tanks do deal with Russia (if necessary).

The plan proceeded and England was completely absorbed into the Viking nation. Refining was researched and we had oil. The next war with Greece was fought and the southern and western hemispheres were cleansed of gyros. This gave us spices and more oil and rubber. The war took longer and cost more than I thought, as Cavalry versus infantry is a tough fight. Importantly a beachhead was secured on the Greek /Chinese mainland. Can you say airport and tanks? A dozen new destroyers were launched and some old ironclads retired.

Then Russia sneak attacked in the former Greek/French area. Their opening moves captured about 5 workers. The first turns were a tough fight with Cavalry/artillery versus infantry. Then the Viking scientists invented tanks. Production lines were switched and the new weapons poured off the assembly lines. Viking tanks crushed Russia in short order. The victorious Viking legions were loaded up in transports and dispatched to the beachhead city. A truly massive navy and airforce was constructed.

At this point (1870) I evaluated my options for victory:
conquest/domination – I could easily wipe out the Greeks, Chinese and Celts but I suspect that it would not score so well as it would be late;
space – I’m the tech leader and could easily get the ship but again its late and I’ve done it before. It will require 9 expensive techs that I would have to research myself
culture 20k – not an option as I lost every ancient wonder race
culture 100k – have 62000 and make about 600 a turn, doable in about 60 turns, fewer if I rush culture buildings
diplomatic – yeah right who will vote for us

I decided to go for the 100k culture win. I put big cities on wealth and rushed culture buildings. Every big city without a coliseum built one. Culture per turn went up from 570 per turn to over 670 per turn. Modern age research was set to Nuclear power (UN) then computers/miniaturization (internet). Adding the internet should really help the culture along. Nidaros used an army prebuild for the UN.

Then the Chinese started up with the Greeks. Then the Chinese attempted to blackmail Flight from the Vikings. I refused, they declared war. What were they thinking? I have tanks, bombers, battleships by the score and they have cavalry and ironclads. Oh well. I signed a ROP with the Greeks and unleashed my tanks. Bye bye China. My naval aviators disconnected the Chinese from rubber, horses and saltpeter. I airlifted units directly from the factories to the beachhead city. This is kind of a ridiculous feature of civ3 in that bombers have a range of 8 but we get an immediate transcontinental airlift capacity.

Turns were taking forever for me to execute. The game became exceptionally tedious and no fun. Airlift new troops, move up forces, crush city, move wounded units to barracks, repeat. Chinese cities were spaced too far apart to blitz.

A couple of turns later, a victory screen pops up. It seems my war with the Chinese had resulted in the Viking nation crossing the domination threshold. I was very happy to see this as the end game was so incredibly tedious! Domination victory was achieved in 1924 for a Firaxis score of 5030. I would have reached 100k culture in the 1960s I think. It might have taken until the 1970’s to get 2x the Greek or Chinese culture.

Adrian

I was planning for the 20 K victory and to avoid the SS launch by other civs I was planning to plunder them heavily.... but
I missed my planned 20K win due in 2006 (thanks to Alan H Culture Calc) because I achieved Cultural Win in 1880 AD (my first 100 K win ever).

I could have slowed my culture by destroying some of my cities but it would have hurt me. Plus I was happy to finish and not to wait for more turn (clear pollution / fight barbarians)...

Starting position was good enough to have to manage a settler factory and my Culture city was on the north Shore. This land was easy to defend but still a fairly large continent.

I had a peaceful start, a bit behind in techs with England being the lead of the pack. I was planning for a warrior upgrade building warriors. I was also planning some knight / cavalry with some occasional horseman.

WWI (290 BC – 50 BC) vs Russia
I decided to start some wars to generate some leaders. For this I chose to go after Russia because they were weak and on the same continent and I did not want to wait long enough to fight their Cossacks ! I rally France & Greece for the occasion. Russia is reduced to 2 cities - no great leaders :(
- Peace with Russia vs Republic + Currency + 88 GP
- France Construction + Polytheism vs Republic + WM + 177 GP

Some peace …
Then I switched to Republic (and stayed there ....) to develop faster I already had missed the Colossus ... I should have joined workers to my 20 K city for better growth at the start. I make some limited deals with the Greece trading my luxs.

In 280 AD, England declares War. I gather Keltoi with Republic to battle them :). I virtually did not wage war against the brits

My second marauding galleys meets the Aztecs by 300 AD.
I Contact Americans vs Republic + 93 GP, then Contact with the Chinese + WM + 32 GP vs Polytheism + Republic
I keep my contacts separated for the time being but I can not trade to the new world any of my extra lux since I do not have a trade route opened.

WWII (380 AD – 530 AD) vs France
380 AD : I miss Great Library by 2 turns :mad: I hate this :mad: as I am late in techs and do not want to lose all those shields. I need to be able to get Sixtine the next available Wonder
- Plunder France all treasury
- Declare War to France (anyway I want to grab their land for wines & silks and to build my FP in Lyons – it is already late)
- Greece : Monotheism vs Americans + WM + 193 GP
- Greece : Alliance against Francs vs Chinese + 25 GP
- England Peace + Theology + 4 GP vs All Contacts
- China : Feudalism + 52 GP + 2 GPT + WM vs Monotheism
- Greece : 57 GP vs Aztecs & 3 GPT vs Furs
- England : 9 GPT vs Wines
- Russia : Monarchy vs All Contacts & Feudalism
390 AD : Greece : 8 GPT vs Furs
France was weak (no iron) and all my conquest was done with swords (I started with 20 sword & 9 Horseman). It takes some time to travel but I could deny all towns but Orleans from the Greeks. I also manage to build a town NW of Paris in order to grab 2 silks from Sparta. In these two wars despite my elite swords and even horseman I could not manage a single leader. So I am building the FP by hand ! After defeating France, I decide to make more horseman for knight upgrade.

WWIII (730 AD – 980 AD) vs Greece
It is about time to finish the continent. I declare war on Greece with my bunch of knight ready to attack (11) and some medieval sword to support (9). Also, they owned the Great Library and I would like to benefit from it before education. I only manage two wonders and England grabbed most of them (Oracle / Hanging / Great Wall / Leonardo) because Liz is leading in techs.
740 AD First Hero to rush Forbidden Palace in Lyons (AT LAST)
With Metallurgy, I try to get back to the lead.
870 AD England : Navigation & Astronomy & 54 GPT & 8 GP & WM vs Metallurgy
China: 59 GPT & 80 GP vs Metallurgy
Aztecs : Spices & Dyes vs Metallurgy & Navigation & Furs
England : WM + 6 GPT vs Silks
China : 12 GPT + WM vs Silks
I also finished in the same year the Russian in order to clear they two little cities of the map.

WWIV (1100 AD – 1365 AD) vs England
With MT, I upgrade my knights to cavalry and I decide to go after England. I need leaders to improve my building rate. I order to divert the effort of AI, I bring in China and poor France (only two towns remaining)
Aztecs : Spices & Dyes + Printing Press vs Magnetism + Furs
China : 11 GPT vs Silks
After hand building Newton Uni, I had numerous leaders so that I could make many Wonders in my attempted 20 K town (JS Bach / Suffrage / TEO / Hoover Dam / Military Academy). For a strange reason, I built Heroic Epic in my capital :(. In my last town, I triggered my GA with my only Galloglass. At this point I am leading in techs so much that I could go for Spaceship / Domination / Conquest (not diplo) win

Global War against all countries
1310 AD Sneak Attack of America = Open War that I do not combat… until early 1400
1400 AD vs China : China had too many outposts. In order to limit my task force. I needed to clear their outpost and limit also their ability to be a nuisance
1410 AD Aztecs Demands Coal – I refuse. So I am at wars with them

1490 AD I stop all wars, plunder their treasury as soon as I have secure the 8 luxs so that I will after cruise the rest of the game. My first effort is to plunder America because of Dyes and incense.
1505 AD Deals with China for 25 GPT for 2 luxs

Killing every body
1565 AD – Aztecs again declare war on us ! so I will wipe them with the help of Chinese
1690 AD – Despite my ROP, with all my troops on the right location, I sneak attack against America to wipe them . I destroy to avoid domination

1735 Aztecs are all dead. I played a bad trick on the last city : Exchange Nationalism + Sanitation vs Some techs of me + other deal to take communism and then wipe the Aztecs. Therefore, they did not have the time to give my extra techs to China who is going to be my last sole partner for the rest of the game.
1808 AD China is only one town.

I had lots of leaders to build all my wonders. I had to slow the conquest to avoid destroying to early to keep opportunities of generating a leader. Virtually, I could generate a leader as I wanted on the turn I wanted. I had all my elite tanks ready for the onslaught my 20K city was on wealth / producing tanks waiting for the next leader to come. I should have counted my leader but certainly had a lot. My techs speed was not fast enough to keep with the generation pace of leaders. I should have switched to democracy to learn faster but then I would have suffered from War Wariness…

I appreciated the game but it is not close to deity for me. The extra bonuses / luxs from previous GOTM help a lot. I wonder if I coudl have add a higher score if I had gone for a fast (to my standard) domination. I had a lousy start (again) not being able to grab those early wonders (except the lighthouse)

List of my Oslo Wonders
Wonder Year
Lighthouse -630
Temple -490
Sistine Chapel 540
Library 730
Cathedral 850
Newton's University 1120
Bach's Cathedral 1140
University 1220
Military Academy 1295
Colosseum 1315
Universal Suffrage 1325
Theory of Evolution 1335
Hoover Dam 1345
Pentagon 1415
Wall Street 1480
Seti Program 1705
Resarch Lab 1725
United Nations 1754
Manhattan Project 1760
Battlefield Medicine 1768
Internet 1774
Cure for Cancer 1790
Intelligence Agency 1806
Longevity 1808
Apollo Program 1818
SDI Defense 1900 (planned but I win 100K before)

approx 20030 in 2006 ....

Victory !!! [party]

I see that the notes I wrote during the game are very boring and can't tell anything if you don't have the game under your eyes, so I'll just say a few words on my game, quote some lines and post some pics.

My empire in 1000BC, recorded in the QSC :

I settled right away in 4000BC and used my capital city as the 20k city. It turned out that I could have been faster than I did, because the lack of coastal wonders and of a palace pre-build hurt me a bit. So I used the city as a semi-settler factory with both cattles and the lamb. Later it would produce many units as this city was by far the production center of the empire.

I used berserks to take some English cities, but was unsuccessful to crush them. I started warmongering with cavs and quickly tanks came in, and with them I killed French, Russians, English, Aztecs. Greeks and Celts were killed by the AIs, though I crushed the Greeks to death. You can see some details of my extension in some minimaps below...

Here a funny picture of the dumb AI :

In the end I used MapStat to stay below the domination limit, something I have never done before, and secure the UN, as well as preventing Americans from having oil + rubber + uranium + aluminum. They never got the last one, because :

I took the city that had it just in time !!
Some time later :

You funny, Abe !! I won't let you build the Apollo Program ! The Chinese, the other semi-power in the end, never got uranium nor rubber.

A quote of my notes :

1894AD : Nidaros now has 19,957 culture points (+111), 86339 in total

1896AD : That is it !!! I win a 20k cultural victory ! My 1st ever, so thanks for the goal in this GOTM ! Having a goal helps me sticking with it, otherwise I doubt I would ever head for culture...
68h 38m 52s, a looooong game
Firaxis score : 5339, not a lot, because I went warmongering (for score and to deny resources to the AIs (spaceship)) quite lately and wasn't very successful at the beginning.
This was the 1st time I used MapStat, it helped a lot preventing a domination victory, very useful if you trust it !! I was like 10 tiles and a few dozen people from domination.
I enjoyed this game a lot overall. I was a bit bored in the Middle Ages when I wasn't fighting effectively with my berserks during my Golden Age !! Need to rethink there... Then I was quite excited to see that I would actually achieve a cultural victory. Before this game, it was always spaceship (except 1 or 2 UN and 1 or 2 dominations).

Being lazy to describe what I built in Nidaros... :)

Originally posted by CdB
..... I achieved Cultural Win in 1880 AD (my first 100 K win ever).

I could have slowed my culture by destroying some of my cities but it would have hurt me.
Cdb, you probably won't appreciate finding this out after the fact, but another way of avoiding the 100K culture is to sell your culture generating buildings. That way you get to keep the cities.

Top Bottom