*Spoiler3* Gotm22-Vikings - End Game Submitted

PTW 1.21 open:

My 2nd GOTM and my 2nd Spaceship loss (1998 AD Firaxis 2737 jason 1837)

I was SO VERY far behind in tech - and could not beg, borrow or steal fast enough. I was still studying combustion when I heard the tell-tale sound of nuclear war off in the distance.

The arrival of Berserkers led to a golden age that saved my butt from the Greco-Russian-Franco axis. France and Russia paid dearly but Greece hung on. A late game American communist nuclear first strike at Greece allowed a rapid series of cavalry charges into the decimated cities.

In the end it was America,England and me. Well behind in points as well as tech - the points leading Americans again resorted to nuclear war against the spaceship building English. The attack slowed the English enough to allow the Americans to start their own ship. My only hope was that they'd catch up enough to force the English into a UN vote. Fat chance.

Oh well I see my Jason is actually higher than one guy's victory. Yea for me:rolleyes:

Well, lack of any specific goal ruined my end game, although frequent wars against the greeks and russians helped me keep even while preventing any other civ from acheiving victory. I ended up 4th place histographically in 2050 AD. I'm not sure exactly when, but a combination of my and greek forces took out the russians sometime before 1998 AD. Wars vs. the technically advanced Greeks proved mostly futile, although large stacks of cavalry and the militia obtained from upgrading my medieval armies(which totaled to a large number, much more than the number of Cavs i could produce) helped me win over a few more cities of the greeks, although after rushing the FP in Kiev(which was about where my border with the greeks was) with my only leader of the whole game it flipped back to the greeks two turns later.

In the late game I ran into a lot of problems with wars, undeclared wars specifically. One turn, I'm happily trading with the English and Chinese, the next i get the "We lost our supply of ____!" message, but no official declaration of war, and 3 turns later a stack of transports starts unloading tanks onto my rifleman defended shores. This happened on no less than five occasions, and I'm not sure why. Anyone have any clues?

A good portion of my endgame was spent trying to go for an "aesthetic victory" of sorts, by lining up a large number of ships in the sea to spell out the words "CFC GOTM XXII" but the plan turned sour, for several reasons:
1) An undeclared war with england wiped out a large number of the ships I had painstakingly set up in the right configuration and direction(in order for the direction of the ships to be correct, I couldn't fortify the units, instead I had to keep pressing the spacebar to keep them in the right orientation. The problem with this is that I wasted a lot of turns on my serious units accidentally.
2) I couldn't possibly produce the number of ships necessary by 2050 AD, looking back.
3) I misspelled "XXII" as "XII", and this obviously isn't gotm twelve.

http://www.geocities.com/xerol2/files/ship.jpg (copy & paste the link)
The ships already visible were the ones already in place. The white lines represented where I had ships by 2007 AD, when an undeclared war began.

That was quite fun actually, but back to the actual game. The tech pace was slowed a lot, mostly due to constant war, my sapping of the AI's gpt with resource/lux deals(somehow the greeks had NO saltpeter OR rubber in their whole territory, although during the last 50 years of the game, i had no less than 8 resources of various kinds pop up in my territory, with my only loss being a single iron), and my general lack of research throughout the game(in 1998 i was 5 turns into a 40-turn research of electronics) I don't even think any Civ even completed the apollo program, giving you some idea of how slow the tech pace was throughout the whole game.

As far as rivals goes, on the far continent the Chinese were dominant. By the time i made contact, the chinese occupied most of the northern continent with america down to its last 5 or 10 cities, and the aztecs were confined to the lower continent but wiped out early in the 19th century, around the same time the americans were eliminated. At the end of the game, it was me, greece, england on my continent, and china, a few english cities, and ONE CITY OF MINE!!!! on the other continent(overall, that is, including both the north and the south)

All in all, a pretty good game for me, considering I usually can pull out second and third place scores in monarch most of the time and a win about one in 5. Firaxis score was a pretty low 1400ish, but it's now 4th on my HoF(the other 3 all being 100k culture wins with babylon on monarch, and the highest only in the low 3000's...that game was actually close to domination due to all the culture flips...)

Never got around to trying to fill out all those ships. Maybe next month, if there's ample sea space...and i'll have to remember that the roman numerals for 23 have TWO X's.

I'm finally getting it!!!:D :D :D

After having spent hours browsing through all the great civ advice on this site, both in the War Academy and in the discussions, I seemed to have learned to play civ III competitively. For a decade or so, I have loved playing civ. However, it has been to me like slacking away with a Sim-City-kind of game, watching everything teeming and expanding. For the first time, I have managed to combine many of the great civ gamers best advice and implement them in one single game (in gotm21 I practised ring city placement and observing the importance of Forbidden Palace and corruption), namely this beloved gotm22! :) Thanks Cracker for this very entertaining game!

A list of the strategies I unabashedly stole from the wise ones and then incorporated into my Viking game (I had to do well, hadn't I, being Swedish and all):

Got a settler factory up and running.
Micromanaged every city and every worker action very thoroughly the first 100 turns (see my QSC-22 timeline, which is my first QSC effort).
Set a goal from the start - World Domination - my player name has always meant to be irony, since I has always been the builder, or so I thought - and I followed it through every single round.
Never build anything that is not absolutely necessary the first 100 turns or so - that is, an end to humdrum building of courthouses, marketplaces and so forth . I built no more than five or six marketplaces in the game, all in good no-corruption core cities.
Focus on spreading happiness as fast and as effectively as possible from the beginning - I have hugely underestimated the similies before.
Plan the warfare so that failure in one turn means that you have backup coming to your enemy no later than the next turn.
Patiently wait till you get a Great Leader and rush to the most fertile spot you don't owe and build up your Forbidden Palace core there.
Set science to 40 turns with 0 % science as soon as possible, using the one-scientist trick. Exceptions, increase the science rate
when strategic techs are coming up, like Map Making (for the Big Sell - this is when you want to ruin your opponents finacially and getting all their techs), Monarchy (could be the Republic - but I chose the Quitai-style, figuring that the low cost in troops and the forced happy-faces effect of three troops in each city was useful), Invention (in order to get the Berzerks, in this game).

Two tactics of my own (I'm sure they are out there somewhere in the forums - my apologies then) that I decided to use:

Never raze enemy cities, not for the bad-diplomacy it induces, but for the population losses.
Rush troops now and then (despite the awful cost), in strategic locations, where war scenes of the defining-moments-kind are taking place.

Finally, it may be said that I read through some of SirPleb's and Moonsinger's QSCs and studied them carefully (my own QSC goes in their spirit). I have tried to play like a combination of these two fabuluos players, throwing in Quitai's Monarchy aggression as well.

Now, the story begins:

For details of my start, see coming QSC.

I was lucky with huts, not techwise, but economically.
I hooked up happiness early on, the best case being getting an unexpected settler in the far south of our starting double-continent, shaped like a U. I moved it near some Wines there and built a worker who made a colony on top of it, after having linked it to the city with a road, meanwhile a harbor was built in this Stockholm.
For no reason, I had behaved myself spotlessly, Russians declare war on me in the second millennium BC, I prepared a war against them already, but thought it was to soon and sought peace.

In the first millennium, France, Greece and Russia ganged up on me and I had to fight hard to conquer them one by one (Greek was the hardest military nut to crack in the entire game- their stinking hoplites are a pest :mad: ). In addition, England declared war on me, but nothing happened and I made peace again with her.
290 BC was a pivotal date in this game. I managed to get two leaders in the same turn! :goodjob: How, well the first leader appeared perfectly right by the city where I wanted to place the Forbidden Palace - and I rushed it immediately. A few war moves later, I get another leader, which I used to build an army. In this game, I got more leaders than ever before, ten or so, the Heroic Epic really pays off, guys).
England destroyed the Celts.
I destroyed the English. It was a time-consuming process, however.
Not much later, I shipped my many galleys over to the new World and surgically went in and killed off the Aztecs' two cities (The Lighthouse was a must-have in this game - which I built without a leader in Bjorgvin).
All the above-mentioned wars took place on a prehistoric level: warriors, archers, horsemen, spearmen and the occasional swordsman (except the English - I used Med Infantry there).
At last, I got to use the Vikings. I deliberately stalled a Great Leader for three turns and built myself Leonardo's Workshop and cut the upgrading price for my hordes of archers in half - great :lol: . I systematically shipped them, along with lesser troops (200 or so) onto the New World and the Americans, specifically (I noticed they had most culture and lay in the best target position). This I did from two fronts, the long western coast of the our starting U-continent and the mid-eastern coasts of the U. The troops were accompanied by ridiculous amounts of settlers, in order to fill in the gaps in-between the conquered cities. I used MapStat all the time and knew I was beyond in POP but had a number of tiles to claim before reaching the domination victory (which I have ever never won, mind you).

By 720 AD it was all over, I was declared the winner, and managed to get a 11,000+ Jason score (according to the gorm calculator). I am astounded and quite happy :D I humbly acknowledge the huge importance of all of you guys and this site in general for making my great win possible. Thanks! :love:

Worlddomination, that is an amazing game. I'm curious about some details you passed over. I can see how you overwhelmed the eastern hemisphere with huge numbers of units, including the UU. But how did you conquer almost the entire hemisphere with ancient-era units? For example, how did you crack the Greek cities?

Originally posted by Darkness

What do you mean exactly? You can open mapstat without closing of civ3, if you're worried about your number of reloads.
Just save the game and press the windows key and then locate mapstat and open it.
I always have mapstat running alongside civ on my computer when I'm in the later stages of my game and approaching the domination limit.

Sorry. I work with C3MT and see this picture. But it is nonsence. I have only 25-30 loading... When I load savfile 1650 BC I see 16 times...

Attachments

• numb.jpg
    numb.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 310
Well, I'm actually a day early!! And this was a looooong game (51 hours, for a 20K Victory, 1860 AD with 5429 Firaxis score.)

Lots of warfare, leading up to the IA, and through it. But the last 75 turns or so were very peaceful; I just wanted to finish the game, which was pretty much in the bag, and maybe take at shot at being a conquering Babylonian for a few days.

By the Industrial Age, the Russians were already gone, the French, English and Aztecs reduced to small scattered remnants. I focused primarily on getting rid of the Greeks from my continent, which took some time due to all the flips that were occuring. This was particularly troublesome near Sparta, which controlled the Silks; every time it flipped, I lost troops, I lost the luxuries, I'd usually be trading the luxuries to America so the deal ends up broken, and I lose the dyes and spices the Americans were trading me. This was a real problem, until I finally wised up and founded a city (nice Viking population) on the Silks, so even if (WHEN!!) Sparta flipped, I didn't lose control of the Luxuries. (See, I've been playing for 2 years now, and can still stand to learn a few lessons!)

After a few rounds of war and peace with Greece, they were left with just 2 cities on other islands. Shortly after that, I finished off France's last 3 cities; they had a MPP with Brennus, so I took that opportunity to show him his place in the Viking World Order. Meanwhile, America and China kept having off and on wars, which suited me just fine. America finished off the English, Aztecs and later on in the 1800's pushed over the top and finished off the Chinese. At the end only the Greeks (2 cities), the Celts (a handful of cities), America (actually, pretty strong) and myself remained.

Tech progression was key to taking a firm lead in the IA. China had a good lead along the path to Combustion. I learned Scientific Theory first, and finished T of E which gave me plenty of trading power to pick up all the Techs I was missing. At that time, I held Electronics solely, and only China and I had Atomic Theory. I did a 40 turn research on Radio, while I built up my Empire, took the Greece homelands, and showed the Celts who was boss. I actually learned Radio first, and resumed serious research just in time to enter the Modern Age first. There I researched along the Computers/Miniaturization/Genetics path to get access to those wonders. I'd trade a Tech to America for Dyes and Spice (the only Luxuries I was missing), then gift Abe, Mao, Alex and Brennus a Luxury, just to keep them off my back. This way I kept my kingdom peaceful, and built up culture until Victory in 1860.

I was a little concerned about a nuclear attack. Abe had built the Manhattan project, and had gotten Space Flight maybe 6 turns before the end of the game. I was spacing Aegis Cruisers all along the ocean to detect any incoming Subs, and no one had ICBM capability at the end. I had about 5 SpaceShips parts made, and had built the UN myself, so I had good control of any alternative victory methods. In fact, if I wasn't in a hurry, I probably could have set up several victory conditions for the same turn. Maybe another time.

Very fun game! Some challenges, but lots of opportunity. Looking forward to next month's challenge. And I see that there were many examplary games finished and submitted already! Two 20K victories in the 1600's, a couple early conquests, and Sabre's 5CC game, among others! Great work!!

Thanks, Txurce! I read about your conquest game and it certainly was fantastic as well!

I have digged through some saves and here is my account.

My warring began when Russia declared war on me in 1225 BC. I then allied with Russia and Greece and went against them. The tactic of dragging in AIs in my wars or making them fight against each other to my advantage, I made into a rule. 1100 BC - I let two galleys drop off a stack of units outside the coastal city of Kiev. A protecting spearmen, two barbarian-milked archers and a horseman. They managed to take down a spearman and an archer. 1025 BC - a new unloaded stack of units of similar design. 1000 BC - they took Kiev. I then made peace with Russia for a lot of goodies. 975 BC - this made Greece and France angry with me. And soon I had to fight them, and I ironically allied with Russia instead.

As I early on pointed out Athens as my prime enemy, I used a scout, who was finished scouting, to block Greece's Iron, from 1475 BC to 950 BC, he stood there, valiantly :lol: So, I was sure that Greece did not have a good base of attacking soldiers. Instead, I had to concentrate on their hoplites. My first greek war took place 975 BC to 800 BC, but my goal was defensive. I had no attention of capturing any of its well-defended cities. I focussed on france instead. 825 BC - I took coastal Orleans with a few archers, a horseman and a warrior (just unloaded them on a hill). I made peace with them afterwards. they gave me the town of Rheims among other things. 800 BC I made peace with the Greeks - I had killed a number of their weak attacking troops coming from Thermopylae, trying to take my Rheims. They amazingly away Pharsalos for this. At this point, Greece had only five cities. Athens in the middle, surrounded by Sparta in the north, Delphi in the S, and Thermo + Corinth in the E. By the way, most conveniently, Cgreece and France continued to fight Russia for hundreds of years to come. 750 BC, for instance, France helped me raze St. petersburg on the east coast over there and Minsk on the west coast.

610 BC - Greeks found Knossos on the ruins of Minsk.
410 BC - Greece founds Argos on a small island to the north of their original territory.
390 BC - I declare war vs France, whose territory basically lies as abelt between Greece and Russia.
370 BC - Greeks raze Sevastopol, S of Knossos. Soon it became Mycenae (270 BC).
270 BC - I destroy France. Greeks found another city on their northern island, Plebos Nexia.

From that moment on, til 190 BC, when I declared war on Greece, I prepared a stack of troops - built up by several horsemen, a few swordsmen and protected by spearmen, and guided them to a mountain top by the city of Thermopylae, which is their city with Iron. A stack similar to this, I sent to Delphi, to take stand on a hill there. In addition, a few distraction troops went towards Mycenae in the south. I deliberately founded a city near Thermopylae, Gävle, which lay within striking distance if you used horses. I rushed barracs there for healing and upgrading-incoming-warriors-to-swordsmen purposes.

170 BC - we capture Thermo. However, Delphi manages to push away our stack, and a few fleeing forces of ours continue north instead towards Athens. Another stack is coming towards Delphi as a backup.
130 BC - The new stack is also pushed off from Delphi, unfortunately :mad:
90 BC - Our fleeing troops from the first Delphi assault now gang up with a huge stack of forces, heading for Athens, mostly consisting of horsemen, quite a few swordsmen and one elite archer. My tactic against the hoplites was softening them with horses first, as they may survive despite losing, and killing them with swordsmen and good archers afterwards. Our army from the south is now approaching Mycenae from the south, plus a few swordsmen. The Greeks found Herakleia on the English continent (the Celts are long since gone).
50 BC - Athens is finally taken (we get Pyramids and HG).
30 BC - Our army takes Mycenae. We now make peace with Greece and get Herakleia and Plebos Nexia.
10 AD - War is declared again with Greece.
50 AD - Delphi falls, as well as Knossos (our army again).
70 AD - Corinth tumbles down. Meanwhile, England declares war on us, again. We also gon and fight a successful war against Russia.
150 AD - We lose Herakleia to the English, due to a joint effort of English and Greek forces. We also fail to take Argos, their hated last city.
170 AD - Delphi flips back, we have to retake it.
190 AD - The same with Sparta. All this flipping because of surviving Argos. :mad:
230 AD - with the help of galley and a rushed warrior from Plebos Nexia, Argos falls and Greece vanishes from the planet.

As you can see, it was really tough!

Middle Age Report

I entered IA in 820AD at war with Greece. They were terminated around 1000AD, few turns after I got my 4th GL that I used to build Universal Suffrage.
I immediately started the war against England which gave me the 5th and 6th GL. In the middle of the English war Aztecs attacked us and conquered two Viking cities. I did not engage in a war with Aztecs and few turns later I could sign a peace with them and start the Keltoi war (1330AD).
In the meanwhile Oslo also build ToE and Intelligence Agency and GL5 build Hoover Dam.
In 1345AD I conquered Entremont and Adam Smith’s, in this same year Oslo built Wall Street and 5 turns later The Pentagon.
In 1435AD China declared war on us and in 1460AD America allied with China, I immediately signed a MPP with Aztecs. In the meanwhile (1440AD) Celts were gone, England followed in 1490AD.
Around 1500AD alliances were reshuffled. I signed peace with China and America, declared war on Aztecs and ally with America against Aztecs.
Before the peace few Viking cities were conquered by China or flipped to America.
In 1500AD Vikings entered Modern Age. In the following years Vikings were at war with everyone but I did not pushed too much to avoid the domination limit.
In 1575Ad the 6th GL built United Nations. Other wonders and the 7th and 8th GL followed until the cultural win arrived in 1790AD when Vikings were 7 tiles below the domination limit.

Overall I got 8 GLs from 113 elite victories, which is 7.1% a little bit below the theoretical 7.9% I should have got (25 victories before Heroic Epic, 88 after).

At the end Oslo was crunching 138 cultural points per turns and had build 15 great wonders and 7 small wonders.

v1.21f

1325 AD to 1390 AD -
The second war with England begins. Unlike the first war, this time they offer very little resistance. As I hoped, my first attack had crippled them. I capture all of their cities except for some very remote villages.

1400 AD - Thanks to leader from the English war Universal Suffrage is rushed.

1415 AD - My troops are landing in a gap in Chinese cultural border. Should the Chinese be worried?

1475 AD to 1695 AD -
This is a situation I haven't had in a long time. My only logical target on the other landmass is a monster. China owns 80% or more of the other side of the world. I can't get domination without taking part of China. The final war of the game begins. The amount of offensive units is China is less then I expected.

The fight gets worse when China gets replaceable part while I am heading towards Hoover. Since all the other civs are clueless about tech, this will be a long battle.

Well I have no idea who this Viking "leader" is, but he allows for a ToE / Rushed Hoover play.

You know the game is almost over when I stop research with replaceable parts. I need less then 100 tiles, so I want the cash for upgrades and temple rushes. With artillery the game should wrap sooner.

Domination in 1695 AD.

Lessons learned:
Consider last months game:
70 BC to 170 AD - The war gains us 5 cities, cotton, 3 workers, and 1 new city site.

Compare it vs. this month:
490 AD to 600 AD - The France war begins...

The Berserk is a lousy UU. I won't have been better off with a standard upgrade from warriors to swordsman. My push to increase in size started much later. I delay war last month to get a better government before tripping a hoplite inspired GA. I could have started war even earlier. This month I give in and started war upgrade to Berserk before Leo's was completed as that would have cost another 10+ turns.

I started war a full 30 turns later and sucked up thousands in spare cash. To make matters worse the change in naval movement hurt the ability to march Berserk along the coast. It may be ages before I see Vikings again, but I will only build a handful of Berserk's next game.

Originally posted by worlddomination
As I early on pointed out Athens as my prime enemy, I used a scout, who was finished scouting, to block Greece's Iron, from 1475 BC to 950 BC, he stood there, valiantly

If I remember correctly, resource denial trick cannot be used in GOTM.

I thought I knew all the rules! :o This was certainly the first time I had used something like this. I placed my last remaining scout there and noticed that no one took notice. Then again, no Greek workers approached him till about the time we engaged in war. So Greece did not have any production loss of any real impact, that's for sure. Hopefully, I will be given the benefit of the doubt, as I had absolutely no intention of sidestepping any rules whatsoever. Sorry for this, anyways :rolleyes:

worlddomination,

The AI does not "try" to get to squares that are blocked. They decide early on not to go in the direction of the blocked square. Experiment with this by blocking land bridges when the AI tries to go through your territory, and you will see it pretty clearly.

But hey, it's just a game as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the support, Megalou! It warmed my heart :) I will study the effect as you proposed.

I didn't think I was going to make this game in time. I was rushing furiously tonight (8/31) watching the clock the whole time. I thought I had another half hour of work or so, when I got the you win by domination message at exactly 11:56pm my time (EST)! Talk about cutting it close!

Anyway..domination by 1395 AD. Not a great date or score. A pretty poor performance for me.

I just want to say that I think the berserk unit is over rated. I have seen some rating that put the unit as the #1 UU by a long shot. While I would consider it in the top 10 or so, for my playing style, they certainly were not #1. Their lack of retreat capability caused me to lose more than a handful even to regular spearmen.

I'll be trying to play gotm23, but my wife is due anyday now with our second child. I may have to bag that one...too bad..I have never played as the arabs.

A lot of players seem to feel that the Berserker unit is over-rated, but I had a much better experience with them. Using them as medieval marines, I took at least 80% of the cities in the eastern hemisphere with one assault each. As it turns out, they served me nicely in the interior as well, but I could have used knights instead, and done even better. Given the preponderance of coastal cities in Civ3 - and certainly in GOTM22 - the Berserker's potential could actually be stronger than that of cavalry. Do they die more easily than knights? Not when on the attack, even without retreat capability. And they have the major benefit of healing safely aboard their vessels. If they have a drawback, it's their price - but even that is addressable, if employing mass upgrades with LW.

Originally posted by Dianthus
Cdb, you probably won't appreciate finding this out after the fact, but another way of avoiding the 100K culture is to sell your culture generating buildings. That way you get to keep the cities.

I knew that but to be honest
1. I was quite pleased also at this 100K win (1st ever)
2. I was borred to wait so many turn with pollution clear / Barbarian fights (It was me only and 1 china city)
3. and I do not like to deprieve my nice civ from all the progress made.

Originally posted by worlddomination
So Greece did not have any production loss of any real impact, that's for sure.

Except for Alexander's production of swordsmen, maybe?:eek:

Originally posted by Txurce
A lot of players seem to feel that the Berserker unit is over-rated, but I had a much better experience with them. Using them as medieval marines, I took at least 80% of the cities in the eastern hemisphere with one assault each. As it turns out, they served me nicely in the interior as well, but I could have used knights instead, and done even better. Given the preponderance of coastal cities in Civ3 - and certainly in GOTM22 - the Berserker's potential could actually be stronger than that of cavalry. Do they die more easily than knights? Not when on the attack, even without retreat capability. And they have the major benefit of healing safely aboard their vessels. If they have a drawback, it's their price - but even that is addressable, if employing mass upgrades with LW.

I hear what you are saying....and this is what I expected of the unit...but they seemed to fall short for me. I ended up building about 30-35 berserks in my game and about 60-100 knights/cavalry. The berserks took the coastal cities..then a galley full of my best defenders would hold the cities from counter attack. Meanwhile, the horsemen would take the inner cities and land units. Worked quite nicely. The berserks were also crucial for taking that first city on another continent to provide my horse units with a 'foothold' city.

Don't get me wrong...they did quite nicely but their casualty rate seemed very high to me...and at their cost, I would have rather just build cavalry. I lost count of the number of berserks lost to mere spearmen or pikemen on the attack...much less musket...or riflemen.

This was my second game using them to their full potential...and I still feel I was losing too many on the attack. Maybe I have just been unlucky.

Top Bottom