*SPOILER4* Gotm16-Rome - End Game Submitted

Ceasar successfully concluded his tribute to the lost 'astronauts' from the alternate universe called 'real life' in 1595 AD. Like the crews of Apollo 1, Challenger and Columbia, whose mission patches he wore, he has proven that he's made from 'the Right Stuff'.

Attachments

• astronautcaeserpatches.jpg
    astronautcaeserpatches.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 267
Now that I've spoiled the ending, just a few comments about the last phase of the game.

I was attacked by America near the end of the Industrial Age, and MPP's brought Japan (1 city) and Germany in against me. About the time I entered the Modern Age, I had again established peace on my (okay, OUR) continent. Of course things had changed a bit: I owned all of America from the chokepoint up to his former border with Germany, of America's western peninsula France had taken 3 cities, Russia 1, Greece 1, and Germany (his former ally) was at war with him and took his last city.

I was neck and neck with Greece in research near the end of the Industrial Age. I beat Alex into the Modern Age by about 3 turns by doing partial research on required techs, and then finishing them by buying them from Greece. In this manner I learned Mass Production and Flight in 3 turns each, spending about 1200 Gold to finish the purchase of each. Greece had researched the unnecessary Amphibious Warfare; otherwise he'd have beaten me into the Modern Age by 1 turn. I learned Fission and Computers first, and finished the UN with a palace pre-build, and the SETI Project with a GL I'd saved from the war with America.

So it was looking like it might be a tight race, but Babylon attacked Greece and a whole bunch of snarled MPP's got activated leaving Greece at war with Babylon, India, France, Russia and England! While they weren't any real threat to him, this did tie up a lot of Alex's resources; as a consequence the only additional Tech I was able to trade for in the Modern Era was Rocketry. I had to do all the other research myself. Oh well.

Germany was still something of a threat. However, he did get involved in the affairs of the other continent, which took his focus from me. I also established a line of fortifications across the chokepoint and stationed about 6 MI in each, and another 15 or so MI in each of my border metros. I didn't think he could penetrate THAT, and my counter-attack would be ferocious. I also stationed all sorts of naval forces off my coasts to provide warning if any concentrated set of transports were to head my way. The AI's were too busy with each other, and we were entertained by all sorts of flotilla formations passing us.

I've had some problems completing the GOTM within the allotted time (and this will only get worse with the cut-off date moved up to the end of the month :( ). So in this game I wanted to experiment with a limited war, only enough to give me the necessary growing space, and after that only in response to being attacked. So I had 3 short wars with Japan, 1 early war with Germany, and the American-German war at the end of the Industrial Era. My average number of hours per game has been somewhere between 50 to 60. This month I estimate I used about 34, so this approach has been successful in reducing the time I need to complete the game. :)

And I apologize to Cracker: I wrote down lots of Impi names, but never spent time to work the puzzle. I wanted to be sure I finished in time to submit!! The game WAS very fun!! :D

Nice to be here, as u might have guessed this is my first time playing GOTM. I am playing tournament too but at a much easier level (Conscript) So this was very much a different kind of challenge. It did however go better then i tought and here is a short summary of how i did.

Rome founded at starting location, built warrior and then worker.
more warriors and then granary. Also due to my low pop in Rome i also got Veii in hut \o/

Found Japanese and was very tempted to attack their capitol(only warrior in it) But i decided it would be better to let them build up a little before they were to face my army of Legions. bought a few workers off the americans and Japanese and also stopped a few german advances and got a few cheap workers that way.

Didn't hook up any iron until i was ready to upgrade them to Legions... But two major flaws happened. I had set out to get Great Library, but Germany got it when i had 2 turns left... Arghhhhh. Well and when i failed i started buying techs which cost me waaaay to much and i was only able to upgrade parts of my warrios.. stil had about 50 legions to attack Japan, and i took all but 2 towns before making peace. gaining 4 techs and world map. Changed gov to Monarchy. In addition i got my palace moved to Cumae neighbor town closer to Kyoto then Rome.. because i was prebuilding wonder and forgot about it... :(

I then lost some cities to flipping and declared war again. and reduced japan to one city on the tundra half island. Still had alot of warrios ready for upgrade so i saved up money and upgraded them all and moved them towards the Americans. When i was ready to go to war again i declared war and left America with one city when i was done. Changed to Democracy and moved all my troops up to German border. made a wall so they wouldn't trespass. Also had about 40 Legions in back of the wall to pick off any german movement if they were to be hostile. That never happened but i lost 2 cities to flipping. :( Germany was culture leader.

Well after switching to Democracy i saw that the other civs had already reached industrial age and i was still in the early middle ages. And i wondered how in the world i would make it up. But researching at 4 turns a tech + a nice amount of cash (almost all my land was roaded by this time and also had FP in Kyoto which i made good money. So alot of trading and i had lots of luxuries etc.. so i actually caugt up with the AI in the early industrial age since they went for Nationalism and such before sanitation.

After that i manged to get the Teory of Evolution with the help of a Great Leader i had saved and got a small tech lead. Traded of the tech for GPT and rushed factories to get industrialised ASAP. However because of this i also lost out in the tech rase.. and was never over 2 techs ahead.

Since i had started to excessivly trade so much i decided to go for the UN as that would be my fastest way to win, and all my trading had already made most of them polite. So kept giving them gifts or cheap trades and also diplomatic agreements to secure their votes.

In the end i had prebuilt UN and had it fininshed in 1515AD and was elected and won diplomatic victory. Bismark got 3 votes and i got the rest. Overall im pleased with my performance and hope to do even better next game. :)

My game was one that could probably best be descrived as...messy. There were plenty of wars all around. I started the madness early on by taking out Japan with a storm of legions. Right afterwards, I did the same to America, this time taking a little longer. I had legions and knights ready to go through Germnay, until....I noticed riflemen everywhere. Scratch that plan. my incessant warmongering had left me behind in tech, culture, and infrastructure.
So I had to totally change my style of play. I was thankfully already in a republic, so I turned up the research and started to use what extra money I had to rush marketplaces and other improvements into my core cities. I traded extensively with the other continent to keep up in tech. The biggest worry I had was that Germany was going to stomp me off of the continent with their far superior military. To help prevent this, I formed a MPP with them in exchange for some good old carbonis. This kept them happy with me, and provided me with a way to bring research to a halt while I built up my infrastructure. As Germany dabbled in wars with the other continent, I was naturally drawn in. I then would use my supply of luxuries(and tech if a nation was behind) to create lovely world wars. By the middle to late industrial age, everyone in the world except for myself was in communism.
With this, and my entire core filled with factories and railroads, I was once again the tech leader. I sold off my tech to all who wanted them, adding gold fuel to my research machine. War weariness did pose a problem, and that did slow my research, but it was all good. I evetually got out of all of my alliances, and was researching at full capacity, when the English had to muck it all up by attacking the Germans, who I still held a MPP with. I was angered my this to the point that I loaded 3 transports full of tanks and made a nice foothold on the other continent. I rushed an airport in York, and let a stream of tanks crush all of England. At that point I was tempted to try to conquer the rest of the continent, but some of the other nations were getting back into democracy, so I definetly didn't want to risk my tech lead. From there i sat back, and researched like mad, and finally launched my spaceship in 1866.
Considering how overextended I was at one point, I'm not too disappointed in my finish. With the new scoring system coming into play, I'll definitly be shooting for a faster victory this month.
All in all, this was a great game, keep up the great work, Cracker and Co.!

Ok, I had to rush to finish the game on time (stupid work).... and I got a lesson as to why I never play with Diplomatic victory condition active.

Two turns from launching my spaceship, I get a message saying "You have suffered a humiliating loss!" I can only -assume- i suffered a diplomatic loss - I know I didn't lose by culture, and it was still 1868 AD.

Anyhow, I was far behind in technology the whole way the only wonder I could build (thanks to a GL) after 1 AD was SETI, in my desperate attempt to catch up. Russia built the UN, then the Babylonians took them out, they kept the UN and (presumably) called for a vote when they noticed I was about to launch the spaceship and win.

I hated this game. Once I was behind, there was nothing I could do to get caught up in technology, nobody would trade me techs or anything, and I could never get anybody better than furious towards me unless I was fighting on their side in a war (which was constant). Russia went from furious to gracious back to furious again, then exited stage left thanks to the Babs, who were furious with me the ENTIRE GAME despite my several gifts of techs, luxuries, etc. The Germans tried to invade several times, I barely fought off their panzers and was able to build a detente with them around 1760.

Two freakin' turns. ARGH!

tcjsavannah,

If it were a diplo loss you would have had a vote, which you don't mention. It was probably a spacerace loss. You can find out which it was by looking at the High Score table. The entry for this game will read (XXXX) Loss, where XXXX is the type you lost to.

As for not being abe to trade, you must have lost your gpt-rights at some point by being dastardly. You can still buy tech, but you must save nough gold to buy in 1 turn. If you are behind everyone in tech it is best on Emperor to science to 0% and buy it from the AI.

A learning game...

This was the first GOTM I finished and I learned how to survive being far behind in technology as well as what not to do (the hard way).

I had a slow beginning but built a number of Legionaries and GA'd vs. the US.

That left me credible but still behind in both tech and unit types.

The Germans and Japanese dominated my continent, with the Germans wiping the Japanese out in alliance with me.

I then spent around 1000 years surviving by making deals with the Germans and Greeks. The barb lands were a great source of luxeries.

By the 1960s, it was just the Germans, Greeks, and me (everyone else got killed off). I was MPPd with the Germans, who had the UN. I hoped the Germans would just call a UN vote, so I could declare a winner (Germans, I owed them big time) and end the game with about 25% of the world.

But they wouldn't. With them fighting the Greeks, I thought it would be safe to not renew my MPP with the Germans (surely, they would keep killing the Greeks). Be sides, Greek shelling kept disrupting my luxury trade routes.

So I didn't renew the MPP around 1967...BAD MOVE!!!

The Summer of Love it wasn't as the Germans turned on me and razed almosy every city I had on the main continent. After they took one city in barb land, they agreed to a peace treaty. Of course the Greeks came gunning too.

Conclusions:

1. You can survive a slow start.

2. When possible, trigger a GA by attacking a civ that can't start one also by winning a battle (The US, is a prime target as are the early Geramns and Russains).

3. You can survive by trades and treaties, but

4. If you ever you make an MPP with the biggest, most aggessive civ, keep on renewing it!!!

King of America

anarres: i thought i would see a diplomatic vote, too... but usually when other civs are building spaceships, you see a popup that says "so-and-so has added SS Thrusters" and I never saw that at all during the game, so I figured I was the only one building the SS. I saw the other wonder popups when everyone else was building Hoover's Dam, Leo's, etc...

I know I didn't lose by conquest and by culture.. or domination since I still had most of my continent to myself and Germany. Bizarre.

Oh well. I hope my GOTM won't be thrown out since I mis-identified the loss. I should have known I wouldn't be the only one building a SS either.

Originally posted by tcjsavannah
anarres: i thought i would see a diplomatic vote, too... but usually when other civs are building spaceships, you see a popup that says "so-and-so has added SS Thrusters" and I never saw that at all during the game, so I figured I was the only one building the SS. I saw the other wonder popups when everyone else was building Hoover's Dam, Leo's, etc...
IIRC, you only get the SS popups if you have a spy planted with that civ.

No spies = no SS info at all, including the F10 screen.

that must be it. In my other games, I usually have spies everywhere, but in this game, the only time I tried to plant a spy (Germany) it resulted in him declaring war and sending his waves o' Panzers over my territory.. hence the hesitation to try it again.

Thanks for the info.

I totally suck at milking, I milked from 1550-2050 and I ended with only 10740 !!:mad: :mad: :mad: Well I guess this is the last gotm I'll be playing since I don't have play the world

I was 2nd most advanced the whole game next to greece

Finished Japanese with legions

American died eventually after declaring war on us 3 times

WOOT! 16000 GOLD! I got factories!!!!!! Invaded germany took about 30 cavalries to invade one city! (they had infantry so did i) finished them with tanks. got hover dam and scentific method too

I started landing all my tanks on the other island inside Iroqouis. I had rights of passage with them and stupidly, THey declare war with an alliance when i have 16 tanks by Salamanca, 8 tanks near Grand River and like 24 tanks near NF! They die pretty soon... getting sick of buying technology... costs 12000 for rocketry...what rip off. Anyways, i finshed off the russians at the same time

I finshed off the Aztecs and Babylonians easily with tanks
Since i had weak research power, I decided to not research miniturization, i researched up to MODERN ARMOR! I had almost 140 modern armours after upgrading all my tanks! I used them to invade Greece, France and India in 3 turns!!!!!!!! (only one city left after 2 turns) YOu guys should check out my histograph !! ;)

All there was was the babylon settler in a boat. I started the long milking. It sucked, I was only getting 25-30 pts per turn.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I STILL DONT UNDERSTAND HOW TO MILK

Originally posted by Hurricane
Sorry for the extra-wide pic. Hope you don't mind. :o

I had some serious issues concerning global warming. Two fish ended up to be flat land near Rome, for instance. :lol:

Exact same happened to me

Sayounara-

You don't need PTW to play the next GOTM (or the following two, I believe). You can play with regular Civ3.

(I know this is a bit off topic. Oh well.)

There are modpacks to download to equal the game. For example there's a variation of commercial docks added - called ports of entry - and a civ called neoCarthrage with a UU identical to Carthrage in PTW.

You have to download the squid, the spartan hoplite (the UU), and full zip to install everything. In the readme of that zip there'll be a link to download the game.

I played the last 1000 years of my game today, just ahead of the deadline.

I archer rushed Japan, establishing a second core around Kyoto. When both cores were ready I changed to Republic and triggered my golden age, using Legions to eliminate Japan.

Russia built the Pyramids in 975 BC, putting them permanently out of reach. :( I ended up playing the entire game without granaries! :crazyeye:

After the Japanese genocide I avoided all wars and concentrated on offensive culture flipping. I managed to get 5 American cities, 2 German, and 1 English. I reached 100k culture in 1600 AD, before anyone built the UN.

Attachments

• davemcw_gotm16.jpg
    davemcw_gotm16.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 173
Originally posted by tcjsavannah
that must be it. In my other games, I usually have spies everywhere, but in this game, the only time I tried to plant a spy (Germany) it resulted in him declaring war and sending his waves o' Panzers over my territory.. hence the hesitation to try it again.

Since he's already at war with you, if you try again and get caught, what he is going to do with you?;)

Well, it's 2130-something local and I just finished :) I've been trying to trigger any kind of a result in this game for about 6 hours!

I built the UN, with the usual intent of not calling the vote unless I was pretty certain to win.

Well, as the deadline for submitting approached I decided th Hell with that idea, the next time there's a vote we'll roll the dice...

Caesar vs Bismarck - results inconclusive (that was a 5-5 tie)
Caesar vs Lincoln - results inconclusive (we lost 5-2 in that one)
and on and on it went....
It got to the point I was almost willing to vote against myself, but then THAT might have split the votes.

I had a bad rep due to iroquois bombing of our gems, so breaking various trade deals grrrrrr.

Eventually I realised I was as likely to win/lose the space race as get the diplomatic thing to happen. I'd spent a vast amount of time in the last 50 years at war with Germany, then also America too. We'd wiped out the Japanese, but I didnt want to trigger any German or American MPPs, so I stayed just south of our border at the choke point near the Dyes. The enemy obediently marched through our killing zone of fortified infgantry, tanks, and eventually mech inf, to be bombarded by about 40 artillery and mopped up by our elites. We got about 6 leaders that way, to the extent that I never used one in the end. I gave them peace when i got bored, and needed to speed things up IRL.

I have no idea how close our victory by Space Race in 1796 was; I never planted any spies, although I was spied on several times , including sabotage of SS components twice.

The Greeks were a monetary juggernaut - any time I checked their treasury was waay over 20,000. But for a fair while they had no uranium, maybe that held their space race back.

Anyway, squeezing in under the wire. I'll try to read up this and the radio threads now - had I read them first I'd have missed the deadline, and I'm too civved out right now. :) Fun game, though.

Nice job DaveMcW,
I also went for a culture victory but I was about 30 turns behind you. We also had different approaches as I expanded almost up to the domination level while you focused on your original territory and that of Japan ( and America later). I will take a look at my various saves and post my total culture at different dates. I’d appreciate if you would do the same just to see how different did we play and if the earlier finish date was due to the expansion style or the early build style or maybe something else.

Thanks, I’ll be back

Here's my culture stats.

950 BC: 144 culture, 2 cpt - First Japanese War ends
30 BC: 577 culture, 39 cpt - Golden Age begins
310 AD: 2351 culture, 143 cpt - Golden Age ends
500 AD: 5481 culture, 196 cpt
700 AD: 10313 culture, 278 cpt
900 AD: 16725 culture, 373 cpt
1100 AD: 25778 culture, 538 cpt
1300 AD: 41688 culture, 757 cpt
1500 AD: 77408 culture, 1083 cpt

Attachments