• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

St Petersburg has revoted and joined your civilization

alpha wolf 64

Byte me
So I start on a small continent all to myself, but end up putting a city directly across from the Mayan capitol. They share their continent with Korea and Russia, so I strike up a defensive pact with Russia. Awhile later, Korea and the Mayans sneak attack me, with the Russians declaring war on Korea. After a long war, nothing has changed other than them having sacrificed their armies for nothing, but I was too weak to launch my own seaborne invasion. So I accept peace from the Mayans, getting a city on his continent since I was bombarding his capitol. Later, Korea must have been losing to Russia as they empty out their treasury and all of their luxuries for peace. So Russia ends up fighting on for a few turns, then gets their own peace. With a city on their side of the channel, I built up my forces for my revenge.

As soon as the peace treaty ends, Russia agrees to attack Korea in 10 turns, but I cannot wait, and launch my attack on the 2 Mayan cities, easily taking them. By now, Russia is ready and we launch a co-ordinated invasion of Korea, easily overwhelming their defenses. soon only Seoul remains and we start a relentless pummeling of the city, and I end up with it, as Seoul seemed determined not to let any Russian melee troops near it.

With Seoul's capture, Korea is eliminated from the game, thus ending the war. Now my good buddy Catherine denounces me for being a warmonger and having territory that they want. On the very next turn, up pops a message asking me what I want to do with St Petersburg. I puppet it and sure enough, there is the ! bubble telling me that St Petersburg has revolted to me. How the hell did that happen? This was their 2nd largest city and essentially cut their country into 2 halves. They were ahead of me on techs, and seemed to have plenty of gold. Were they really upset about not getting Seoul?

Has anyone else had a city flip? I would like to be able to protect my own cities from doing this and to actually try to flip cities.

are you familiar with the ideologies and unahappiness from them? you have culturally dominated russia with your tourism, and at the same time you had different ideologies. This pushed russia into huge unhappiness which in turn resulted to petersburg flipping to the closest neighbour of the desired ideology :)

I would like to be able to protect my own cities from doing this and to actually try to flip cities.

Protect your cities by pumping out a lot of :c5culture: Culture, and flip other's cities by pumping out A LOT of Tourism (and make them reach 20 :c5angry: Unhappiness). Will only work if you have a different Ideology than them, and your cities are protected against other civilizations that follow your own Ideology.

Check the Culture Overview to see how's the progress going!

I do think the flipping mechanic should focus on periphery cities and have a higher priority of flipping to neighbors rather than all the way across the world, though. I tend to agree that St. Petersburg shouldn't be the one to flip.

I flipped a civ's capital away from its neighbor who had captured it on a different continent.

So once I see that Russia is unhappy, if I capture a crappy city and give it to them, I could push them over the -20 mark and potentially have another major Russian city flip to me? This seems way too exploitable. Seoul has the 3rd most tourism in my empire, so I could see how it affected St Petersburg, but Novgorod has a bigger border with Seoul and has Palenque taking up another big border, so I would have thought that it would have been the one to flip, it being a younger and smaller city.

Top Bottom