• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

ST4 - Emperor Tweak

Everything looks pretty good - asides from all that horse blood oozing through Beijing's streets. :eek: (That's a lot of wounded Cavs!) After evaluating the situation, I think we need to continue the war full-bore until China starts showing Rifles. This means no science so we can have the money for rushes, and renewing Military Alliances. This will temporarily put us behind the India and Arabia Tech-wise, but we should be able to catch up with some trades. (I personally always like to steal Nationalism --- the AI holds it far too dear.)

1200 (1) Continue building military RR net. Starve down captured cities, and rushing workers :goodjob: Wake up Cav force in Canton and ship them off to conquer Western China. Switch 2 Cathedral builds back to Cavs/Muskets for the war effort. Rush a couple of Temples. Kill an approaching Chinese Longbow in the West. Lots of agreements (getting gold back for us!) are ending at the end of this turn. Sell Steam to Spain for 80 gold and 25 gpt.

1210 (2) Renew Gems-Ivory deal with India and have to pay them a little extra. Renew Spices-Incense deal with Russia for a little extra also. Beijing resistance ended. A couple of non-Market cities in our home continent rioted (bad me). I'm going to rush those after this turn. We capture Anyang, defeating 2 Vet Muskets (1 Cav killed) and gain 3 silk sources. Ahhh!! The sound of the thunder of Cav hooves on the Chinese steppes...it smells like victo.... well...horse poop actually! We launch our main assault into Eastern China, dodging some of our dying allies along the way.

1220 (3) Renew Dyes deal with Arabia, but had to throw in one our new Silks to seal the bargain. Ooops! I didn't know China had any Riders left. They capture a couple of workers. We capture Paoting with no losses from a Vet Musket and Reg Pike. India razed the last Chinese city on that penninsula. Rush a settler in Chartres to take it over. We capture Tsingtao from 2 Reg Muskets with the loss of 1 Cav. Cleanup the Chinese Rider raiders. We capture Shanghai from 1 Vet Musket, 4 Reg Muskets, and a Pikeman. We capture Copernicus's Observatory, Great Wall, and Colossus :dance: No more cultural border encroachment on Beijing. Sell Silks to Russia for 300 gold and 16 gpt. Railway completed from North to South in our Continent.

1230 (4) Renew wines deal with Arabia and they make us pay through the nose for it. We get 2 Palace expansions. Found New Lyons near razed Chinese city. Healing turn.

1240 (5) No Chinese activity at all. 6 cities left. The stupid Arabs have been pounding away at Kaifang...it now has 2 healed Elite Muskets defending it! We take it with the loss of 2 Cavs. We capture Tatung against 2 Vet Muskets with a loss of 1 Cav and a promotion. We also squeeze out a victory and capture Macao against 3 Reg Muskets and only lose 1 Cav and another promotion. Land an invasion force of reinforcements near Hangchow.

1250 (6) Spain and China sign peace (those backstabbers! ;) ) Whew! Another turn with no flips. We're getting pretty lucky so far with that aspect. China has huge cultural boundaries, but their Histo doesn't show a HUGE lead. A couple of Cathedrals complete. I completely stop making military and go back to infrastructure. China is almost finished. Military railnet finished, start in on core area. We finally get our lucky break and gain Napoleon in our last Elite attack against Chengdu. I was really getting worried that we would be stuck with a huge, non-productive island for the rest of the game! (Sorry, I lost the image) Chengdu was defended by 2 Vet Muskets, 1 Reg Musket, 1 Vet Pike and 1 Vet Longbow. We lost 1 Cav and redlined at least 5. Hangchow also falls to our landing force last turn (2 Vet Muskets defending) with the loss of 1 Cav. Just the Chinese capital left, and if we last one more turn with no flips, we'll be looking real good.

1255 (7) Victory!

Nanking is captured (3 Vet Muskets defending, loss of 2 Cavs) China is gone. All military Alliances end. War Weariness ends. Rename Beijing to Versailles ;) and use Napoleon to deport all the buerocrats from Paris in our Palace jump. Build New Rheims on the ruins of another Chinese city.

1260 (8) Palace jump complete. Our gpt jumps slightly. Resistance in most Chinese cities end, but there are the usual holdouts. Temples are hurried everywhere, and then set to Marketplaces.

1265 (9) All resistance ended. All builds are on Infrastructure on our mainland, hurry some more Temples. Start saving up money for some steal(s). Getting ready to turn on Research again.

1270 (10) Still recovering from the war. A couple of workers rushed in our new holdings. As Cathedrals are being finished, switching over to Universities. Attempt a steal against Spain (the least threat) and get it! We learn Nationalism. We are only down Communism on the rest of the world. I left Science turned off, but the next leader can decide to go full throttle on Industrialization or not. We have more libraries and Universities now, so that ought to help catch up. Need a few more garrisoning forces. What is left of our army of Cavalries if fortified near our new capitol. The cannon have been dispersed to individual cities. Defense is pretty thin, but in the era of railroads, that is not a huge problem. Basic railnet in our new holdings is well-started, but not near-finished.

Good luck!

The Save (1270)

Got it

Chinese are gone :goodjob:

Ted

Pre-flight checks... OK

Objectives
Build Infrastructure for Research
Rail our territory

Pre-turn
Research 90% (Industrialisation in 6)

Press button...
Chengdu Worker - Market
Tatung - Lib

1 - 1275AD
Workers rail...
8 Cav set sail for the homeland

IBT
India wants RoP - I sell WM instead
Saltpetre with Arabia expires - they seem to have lost their source so I pass
Renew Incense to Spain
Russia wants RoP - Sell 'em WM instead
Japan wants RoP - Sell WM instead
Lyons Cathedral - Uni
Arabs start Universal Suffrage (Industrialisation)

2 - 1280AD
Buy Industrialisation from Arabia for Ivory, Incense 104gp + 20gpt
Research Electricity @100% (6 turns @ +60gpt)
Workers rail...
Orleans switches to Factory
Cav fort NW of Orleans
Sell Industrialisation to India for Gems. 28gp + 2gpt (broke)
Sell Medicine to Spain for WM, 16gp + 7gpt (broke)

IBT
India wants to renew Incense for 6gpt - "Go take a hike" I reply, selling him our WM
Russia demands TM + 33gp - "NO WAY, WON'T PAY" - she slinks off
Renew Ivory to Russia, upping the ante to 31gpt (from 26gpt) and demanding their WM in the bargain
Avignon Lib - Factory
Russia & India start Universal Suffrage

3 - 1285AD
Workers rail...
4 more Cav fortified NW of Orleans
Research 90% (6 turns @ +151gpt) in order to rush Factory in Orleans next turn (Universal Suffrage)

IBT
Paris Uni - Factory

4 - 1290AD
Workers rail...
Galleon arrives in St Louis - transport Workers to New World next turn
Orleans hurries Factory for 352gp
Research 100% (4 turns @ +65gpt)

IBT
Strasbourg Bank - Lib
Orleans Factory - Universal Suffrage (20 turns @ 42spt)
Bayonne Bank - Factory

5 - 1295AD
Workers rail...
4 Workers set sail from St Louis - first stop New Paris

IBT
Marseilles Cathedral - Factory
Cherbourg Lib - Bank
Brest Cannon - Bank

6 - 1300AD
Workers rail...
Galleon unloads 1 Worker at New Paris then sials for Chinan
Research 90% (still 2 turns @ +147gpt)

7 - 1305AD
Workers rail...

Discover Electricity - Scientific Method

8 - 1310AD
Unload 3 Workers on the New World
Workers rail...
Russia offers 213gp + 45gpt for Electricity
Arabia offers 148gp + 131gpt
India offers Communism, 22gp + 13gpt
Spain & Japan are non-starters
Sell to Arabia
Sell to Russia for 213gp + 15gpt
Sell to India for 22gp + 13gpt

IBT
Versailles Market - Lib
Besancon Uni - Factory
Rouen Cathedral - Uni
New Paris riots :o

9 - 1315AD
Workers rail...

IBT
Canton Lib - Bank
Rheims Uni - Factory
Tours Uni - Factory
Nanking Market - Lib
Spain starts Universal Suffrage

10 - 1320AD
Workers rail...
Research 80% SM in 2 turns @ +58gpt
New Paris hurries Harbour

Notes
Not much happening
Universal Suffrage due in 14 turns (Orlean)
Factory due in Paris in 3 turns - could start pre-build for Hoover afterwards

The save is > here <

Holy Moly! Talk about a fast turn-around! Good building turn there. Sorry I didn't leave any enemies for you to spend more time on! :D

Not much to do really - so it went really quickly :)

Ted

I got it.

We haven't talked about what victory type we want to pursue, but since this is a playtest game, I'm thinking that we should test how effective tanks are against the new and improved defensive units. :hammer:

:tank:

At this point, I think we should hold onto our tech lead, only selling tech if someone looks almost done with research, or if we really need the money.

It might be a pain (because we are in such a good position now), but I would kind of like to milk it for a space launch and proceed through the Modern age tech tree. I was in ST3 (domination win)and the increased defense was somewhat of a factor in the Tank era. (The Marines are *vicious* now!) . But then again, I think ST2? went for a Space Victory, so that is well-trodden ground.

I dunno about a win condition. I'll go with what you two want.

From the front page:

Page 1: Discussion of Game Parameters and Settings. After some discussions, we chose the French, as they are the lone civ who has a UU changed by Sirian's Mod. The game was started and the first turns played, revealing an excellent start position with several food bonuses and fresh water. We also discussed including a variant rule outlawing ancient offensive warfare, in an effort to ensure the game lasted long enough to test all of Sirian's changes. This was quickly scrapped in lieu of a Space-Race victory objective.

Space race it is :)

But there's nothing stopping us from using India as a Tank testing ground :D

Ted

Just a quick note: I won't be able to get to this until tomorrow (Sunday), but I'll still be playing (this is not a request for a skip).

Oh the travails of only being able to play Civ III at work. :crazyeye:

I finally got a chance to both play and post.

Nothing much to report; unlike some of my previous turns, this was a builder's turn. Stuff, especially railroads, got built. No wars got declared by anyone on anyone else, though a couple of MPP's got signed.

We researched Scientific Method and Replaceable Parts, and traded for The Corporation. Some of the AI's got RP on the same turn we did, and two AI's do not have rubber. :satan: We're now researching Refining, about one-third done; next up should be Sanitation which I should have done first :smoke:, then Atomic Theory -> Electronics.

Universal Suffrage is due in 2 in Orleans (I investigated AI cities building it, and it's a lock for us), and no AI has Scientific Method. Arabia is currently researching Scientific Method but should not be able to finish research in time to cascade (don't sell Sci Meth until F7 shows no AI building a wonder).

Theory of Evolution and a Palace prebuild in Paris for Hoover are currently being built in our other best cities.

I upgraded many of our defenders to infantry.

And that's pretty much all.

Download the save here.

Got it

Play today.

Ted

Pre-flight checks... OK

Pre-turn
Hawk WM

Press button
Canton Worker - Bank
Rheims Worker - Stock
MArseilles Inf - Stock
Tatung Market - Court
Chinan Market - Lib

1 - 1375AD
Railing...
Hawk WM

IBT
Strasbourg Factory - Lib
Orleans Universal Suffrage - Uni

Xinjian Worker - Lib
The people love me
Gems expire

2 - 1380AD
Railing...
Sell SM to India for Gems, WM, TM 20gp + 87gpt
Sell SM to Russia for WM, TM, 137gp + 55gpt
Sell SM to Arabia for WM, TM, 153gp + 23gpt
Sell Steam to Japan for WM, TM, 29gp + 9gpt

IBT
Renew Incense to Russia
Renew Ivory to Russia
Versailles Factory - Lib
Poitiers Factory - Lib
India starts ToE

3 - 1385AD
Railing...
Research 50% (still 2 turns) +610gpt
Investigate Calcutta (ToE) for 163gp
Pop 12, 63spt, +5fpt, 81gpt ~ ToE in 8 ~ 8 lux (ToE at Lyons in 7)
Hawk WM

IBT
Tours Factory - Stock
Anyang Market - Lib
Russia & Arabia start ToE

4 - 1390AD
Railing...
Research 40% (still 1 turn) +753gpt
Hawk WM

IBT
Discover Refining - Sanitation
Besancon Factory - Stock
Macao Harbour - Lib

5 - 1395AD
Railing...
Russia & Arabia have Sanitation
Sell Refining to Russia for Sanitation, Communism, 429gp + 75gpt
Switch research to Espionage (the only tech we can complete before ToE) @70%, 4 turns @+475gpt
Hawk WM

IBT
Versailles Lib - Hospital
Strasbourg Lib - Hospital
Orleans Uni - Hospital
Rheims Stock - Hospital
Avignon Uni - Hospital
Tabriz Court - Market
Bayonne Uni - Hospital

6 - 1400AD
Railing...
Hawk WM

IBT
Marseilles Stock - Hospital
Rouen Factory - Hospital
Toulouse Factory - Hospital
Paoting Court - Aqueduct
New Orleans Market - Aqueduct

7 - 1405AD
Railing...
Hawk WM
Research 60% (still 2 turns)

IBT
Hangchow Court - Bank
Port St Louis Court - Aqueduct

8 - 1410AD
Railing...
Hawk WM

IBT
Discover Espionage - Atomic Theory (ready for ToE)
Get Intelligence Agency message
Shanghai Factory - Bank
New Rheims Court - Aqueduct

9 - 1415AD
Railing...
Set research to lone scientist (Chinan)
Hawk WM

IBT
Orleans Hospital - Stock (Wall Street)
Lyons ToE - Hospital

We learn Atomic Theory & Electronics
Research Steel
Rheims Hospital - Colosseum
Poitiers Lib - Hospital
Chengdu Court - Bank

10 - 1420AD
Paris switches to Hoover (due in 2 turns)
Orleans switches to Intelligence Agency (due in 8 turns)
Research 80% (Steel in 5 turns)

Notes
We have built 2 Stock Exchanges, 3 more are needed for Wall Street
Hospitals are in production, more than enough for Battlefield Medicine.
The Hoover Dam is due at Paris in 2 turns
Orleans has just started the Intelligence Agency.
We are up Espionage Atomic Theory & Electronics on Russia, Arabia & India. Spain & Japan are even further behind :)
There is 5682gp in the Treasury for the next player to spend or add to.

The save is > here <

Ted

Brainfart :o

Sorry RJ, for some unknown reason I thought I was up :(

Go ahead and take it now before I decide to play again :D

Ted

Preturn. I rush a bunch of builds (that money doesn't do us any good sitting there!) Move to 100% research on Steel, due in 4 turns (small deficit)

1425 (1) I ask the Russian forces to leave, and they do. (Our workers needed to get to those squares). Workers working.

1430 (2) Renew Silks to India for 21 gpt. Renew Ivory to Spain for 15 gpt. We lose our Spice deal with Russia (they wanted far too much for it...waiting to hook it up with a tech deal. **HOOVER DAM** is built. We get Battlefield Medicine message. A bunch of cities fall out of WLTK days. Up Lux because we will lose a lux from Arabia next IT.

1435 (3) Renew Incense to India for 21 gpt. Renew Ivory deal to Spain for 15 gpt. I know that we don't want to trade techs, but we will lose yet another luxury from Arabia next IT, and they will want 200gpt+ for it. I think it is time to deal. I trade Atomic Theory to Arabia for Wines, Dyes, WM, 62 gpt, and 200 gold. To Russia for Spices, 63 gpt, and change. To India for 44 gpt and change.

1440 (4) We learn Steel. Combustion set at 100% for 4 turns at 169 surplus. Workers are just about out of anything to do, and some are fortified. A bunch of cities go into WLTK days. Ask Arabian units to leave our soil, and they do.

1445 (5) Renew silks deal to Russia at 33gpt. We get Wall Street message, and start building it in Marsaille.

1450 (6) Intelligence Agency completes. (and we out the wife of an ambassador as a spy!) ;) Rheims is the first city to complete all infrastructure...starts pumping out Infantry.

1455 (7) Selectively start re-mining, re-irrigating squares in former china-land for optimal growth.

1460 (8) We learn Combustion. Mass Production due in 4 at 80% research. Ask all Indian troops to leave our territory, and they do.

1465 (9) **Arabia and India sign a MPP!** Refuse to renew Ivory deal to India due to impending tank war with them (?) Upgrade all Galleons and Caravels to Transports.

1470 (10) Upgrade a lot of old units (Cannon, MI, etc). Mass Production due in 2. Wall Street due next turn. We are still up Steel, Combustion and Electronics on the rest of the world.
The Game (1470)

Our lead:

Solid stuff RJ :thumbsup:

Ted

Nothing of tremendous interest happened this turn, so I'll just summarize again.

We discovered Mass Production, Motorized Transport, and Radio, and just started research on Flight. We should save up some money, as we probably won't be able to sustain max rate research in the Modern Age without a deficit at first. The AI's got Combustion and Electronics during my turn; I missed out on the former but did get money for Electronics.

We had no power plants in former China at the start of my turn; Hoover doesn't extend there, so we need to build coal and hydro plants there ourselves. Most of the important ones there are now either done or underway.

Even Ex-Jungle Island is a reasonably productive place now.

Some of our core cities are done with infrastructure and have started to crank out military. We've got several tanks now, but more (many more) would be nice. Our military is currently fortified outside of Orleans and Versailles, our two capitals.

TedJackson re-negotiated peace with India during his turn, and Rubberjello then sold luxes to India during his turn; when the peace renewal came up I had to re-commit to 20 more turns of peace with India. I don't know if you guys actually want to fight a war here, though I'd like to get some tank action in and we'll be ready for that soon. The enforced wait isn't bad, though, as we can build tanks during that time, and India's MPP will likely expire during that time.

:tank:

Halfway through my turn, the Arabs declared war on Spain; India came in the war against Spain via MPP, and then the Arabs brought in Japan via an alliance. Spain surprisingly has not lost any cities yet, considering the Spanish that don't have any rubber. I'd be careful about selling things to Spain, though, as our trade route could get cut off within the next 20 turns, and if the war continues Spain might actually be gone by the time the game gets back to me. This war will also give India the chance to ship its excess military over to Spain. :D

I'm currently leveling off Versailles (which just hit size 20), and some of our core cities are now within one or two growths of using all the tiles they can; if we're going the tank route these cities should also be leveled off.

We should probably begin a prebuild for SETI soon.

Rubberjello, you're up.

Download the save here!

I am up? Are we trying to compensate for Ted's going out of sequence last time? Who's after me then? I'm good to go either way.

Yep,

you're up RJ.

Ted

Top Bottom