Stagnation, 1936 europe

Quantumf8

Warlord
Just a comment, I'm playing as nazi germany, with the patch you released and the game is really boring waiting until 1939 before I can do anything, I've chosen to follow the historical events, and while all the downtime and waiting has given me an army powerful enough to crush practically the entirety of europe under my heel, it's really boring just sitting there doing nothing for hours. >_>

Just a comment and a heads up, to let you know how to to improve this great mod.

I would try 1939 then. You have to be a certain person to like 1936. :)

You have to be a certain person to like 1936.

Hey! I happen to prefer the 1936 scenarios! I am relatively normal, and I have notes from my doctors to prove it! LOL!
.... but seriously Dale and Quantumf8, I feel your pain. The 1936 scenarios are a bit..... quiet.... eventless.... stagnant. So lets put some events in there, and some stuff to do. A quest or two would be great.

How about planting some jungles there in SW Africa and plopping some resources down and allow colonizing of that area! You still have that northern strip to fight over. And put some oil there in Africa, and take some out of Europe.

Is the entire map "culturated" or covered with civs? Plop some resources there and make colonies on the fringes worth working on.

Any other ideas?

maybe nazi germany shouldn't be as realistic, the massive production I had was.. just wrong.. >_> when i say I had enough power to bowl over europe I mean it.
I was pushing of developing a jet engine, had 30 odd tanks aiming at poland, some 24 at france+low countries, and 10 or so facing the balkans, that's not including the infantry+ artillery, they all build in like 1/2 or 4/5 turns, and I do build buildings when I get them, but I was really able just to churn out a massive army, and that's all I'd do... just sit there and wait till I could declare war. Just sit there and every turn or so tell a city what war unit I wanted built. the problem is, as of my most recent save, it's fortnight 1 october 1937.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of non combat scenarios, but sitting there for hours on end building units I cant use isn't fun, maybe diplomatic options could be added, such as supporting oswald mosley to be elected in britain which converts it to an ally, or supporting the USA and getting them as an ally?

@Quantumf8

I think you should either play the 1939 scenario, or choose open play mode for 1936 one. This might make things not boring for you.

On the other hand I actually agree that waiting for all these turns with nothing to do but building units gets somewhat boring after a while. I actually set some cities to build wealth, or research as I felt the units I have are more than enough.

In fact I think that it is a design choice that the mod is all about fighting out the battles of WWII. It is not about cities management or whatever else you may do in some other civ4 game. To fill up the blanks there might be some more action on the espionage side. Some new options and abilities for spies maybe.

I have to admit that I enjoy starting from 1936 as Nazi Germany so that I can custom-design my army. In particular, I love to have hundreds of stukas so that I can effectively carpet-bomb the whole of France and England until I get the chance to invade (historical mode) in 1940. :)

In 1936 scenario I built a massive army of Panzers. I am ready to invade West Balkan, east Balkan, Poland, the Low Countries and france, Denmark/Norway, and I can produce a panzer every other turn in about 7-10 cities. I also have aa guns in all of my cities and I've got marines planned for norway. However, it seems to me that if you keep your navy in the city and quickly drop troops off and run back, you can invade without having to worry about England's navy. 20 panzers would really hurt england and I think that that could take London, Plymouth, and maybe Liverpool.That leaves scotland and ireland, and if you conquer scotland, england is basically a middle eastern/canadian power. Meanwhile, Russia is the only front the germans have to face and they would have to face the entire wehrmacht.

I like the slow build by choosing the 1936 start with historical accuracy.
First thing I do as Germany is beeline chain reactor, running 90% science slider, getting new tech every 5 turns, having advanced infantry and almost heavy tanks by 1939 war start :)

Just hate when USSR techs for labs first :/

Also takes some practice so you have both a decent tech lead AND enough units come 1939.

@Quantumf8

I think you should either play the 1939 scenario, or choose open play mode for 1936 one. This might make things not boring for you.

On the other hand I actually agree that waiting for all these turns with nothing to do but building units gets somewhat boring after a while. I actually set some cities to build wealth, or research as I felt the units I have are more than enough.

In fact I think that it is a design choice that the mod is all about fighting out the battles of WWII. It is not about cities management or whatever else you may do in some other civ4 game. To fill up the blanks there might be some more action on the espionage side. Some new options and abilities for spies maybe.

I never set cities to research. Game only gives 10% of hammers as research, but stores 100% of hammers as coin. I think of coin as a big capacitor for my economy, I like to run 90 - 100% research as long as possible, Still trying for heavy tanks by 1939 ;)

I have extensively modified my 1936 scenario and it is now quite hard for some nations.

Namely, some nations did not consider "Tank Divisions", choosing to distribute them amongst infantry divisions, therefor some nations do not even have "Basic Tanks".

Top Bottom