Stalingrad

It was regarding the roadways. Originally I had railroad in the city itself... with regular roads in the outskirts. That makes it far too easy to zip around inside the city. So I wanted to remove the railroads and replace them with roads within the city. For the outskirts I wanted to use rivers as unpillagable terrain that will still act like roads. Thus, pillaging by the AI will be a greater problem for the player inside the city because there is only one layer of road to be destroyed before it starts to slow you down. This was going to be done by using Mapedit and MapCopy and other fancy things.

Alas, I forgot to realize that rivers connect neither horizontally nor vertically. This would force me to have very ugly zig-zag roads only on the diagonal, which won't be cool at all. Back to the drawing board I went...
:crazyeyes

-FMK.

Yeah, I can thank Henrik the bloody Swede for that 'brilliance'. :nono:
Dissapointed the hell outta me that it didnt work. :splat:
It's okay though, I forgive all Henrik. :jesus:

-FMK.

Hey FMK is Stalingrad going to include the imfamous Russian
anti-tank DOGS?! These were used in Stalingrad by strapping an anti-tank mine to the back of a dog and then training it to run under vehiches where it would blow itself up taking the German vehicle with it! It would be sweet if you could put them in (if you haven't already)

You just got yourself a one-way ticket into the thank-you section of the scenario! That idea is friggin' awesome, and I know just the trick to make sure they only attack the tanks. Muahahahaha!

-FMK.

I thought the dogs were a huge failure because they were trained with soviet tanks and therefore went for the soviet tanks doing more harm than good?

Didn't mention that problem in the book "Stalingrad" where I found out about them. But anyway in my opinion they would be more of a massive moral sapping weapon that one that was actualy effective in destroying tanks

Greeny,

Are you talking about the Anthony Beevor book Stalingrad? I assume there are plenty of books with that title or simmilar. I have that one as well and read about them in there too.

What I have done is to place a limmited ammount of these critters at the start of the scen. As the player moves his units across the open terrain before he enters the city, the dogs will attack. After they are all killed or used, their unit slot will change.
This is to reflect their not-too successful deployment that gogog mentioned. The sound I made for this unit is bloody excellent. It was quite a odd thing to have to make as well. Now, I am just waiting on the artist that I comandeered to finish his work. I have a lion in his place for the time being.

The unit is being called: 'Schäferhunde'

-FMK.

OK. First attempt.

Attachments

• bombdog.gif
    bombdog.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 196
Hey not a bad pic m8, something a bit more animated would look good like leaping into the attack!
I don't know if it would be possible but having bullets flying through the air just missing the critter would look cool

FMK yes I was refering thr the Anthony Bever book, the best history book I've ever read it must be said.

Nah, Morten... thats perfect. No need to have him leaping because they weren't attcking, they were looking for food. This looks perfect. I added an antenae to his strap, and he looks great in-game. I'll attatch a quick snap. Thanks again Morten, really tasty looking stuff man. :goodjob:

-FMK.

Attachments

• woof.gif
    woof.gif
    40.3 KB · Views: 249
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
The sound I made for this unit is bloody excellent. It was quite a odd thing to have to make as well.

How many neigbourhood dogs did you have to machine gun? :D

Top Bottom