Star Trek Mod II: The Wrath of Mod

cpt.tripps.2012

Warlord

Current Version: 0.407 BETA 4g <--- New Version (stardate 8.1.2013) :coffee:

Star Trek Mod II is currently in a rebuild, so many of the features are redacted at this time. If you would like to play the full featured version, try beta 3h (but it is extremely buggy).

FOR CIV4 BTS 3.19

Sourceforge link:http://sourceforge.net/projects/startrekmod2/
CivFanatic Download Link:http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=20284

Star Trek Mod II is a greatly expanded sequel to Deanej's Star Trek Mod. There are many improvements. You really must play it to see all the differences.

In STM2 you take control of one of the many Civilization of the Star Trek multiverse and must decide your place in the galaxy. Will you dominate the universe? Convert the barbaric races to your philosophy of life? Assimilate all whom you cross paths with? Or maybe you will simply transcend into beings of pure light... The choice is yours!

NOTE: This is not a "ModMod" persay. It is a whole different file system and The audio/movie files are completely different. You will have to install this into a new folder and you do not have to have the original Star Trek mod to play it.

Features:
Spoiler :
Play Civilization 4 in the Star Trek Multiverse
100+ Unique Units*
83 technologies
80 buildings*
64 wonders*
26 Different Civilizations*
60 Playable Leaders*
Comprehensive Strategic Game Play
Play from the Launch of the Zefram Cochrane Shuttle to the return of Voyager
Smaller file sizes and faster gameplay(processing) the the original Star Trek mod
* Final version

Technology:
Spoiler :
Star Trek Mod II takes place between the launch of the Zefram Cochrane Flight (in the movie First Contact) and the return of Voyager to Earth (in the TV series Star Trek: Voyager). Most civilization will build science labs and conduct research to advance their technological goals. However, one civilization, known as The Borg, will pillage planets and take the technology they desire to add to their collective.

Tech Tree Map

UNITS:
Spoiler :

A Strategy Tip:
Spoiler :
The key to winning is all about using the different ship types for their designed purpose. Pay particular attention to the CARGO HOLDS. Different ships hold different things.

Release Notes:
Spoiler :

Beta 4g (Stardate 8.1.2013)

• Espinose mission bug fixed
  • TOS era music bugs fixed
  • ferengi and romulan Ship updates
  • New Feringi and romulan power balance
  • Civic Balancing
  • Tech Tree Tweeks

Beta 4f (Stardate 6.3.2013)

• The Federation is now Star Fleet
  • shows terrain bonuses for shields and armor
  • slightly new power balance for civs
  • NEW TECH TREE:

• [-] No starting Religion (everyone gets a fair shot)
      [-] DS9 parallel path

Beta 4e (Stardate 11.17.2012)

• Fixed Critical Bug with Klingon star bases
  • Reworked AI
  • Changed up CIVs Game balance
  • Fixed Repeating music Bug
  • Federations ships Now Canon Sized to scale
  • Some Promotion Changes

Beta 4d (Stardate 11.11.2012)
Major Changes:
Converted over to Final Frontier Plus 1.81 as a base mod - this should fix any game wrecking bugs (like the no build bug) and has pretty map graphics!
Completely rewritten AI (CvAI.py). This was a major pain but the game now FLIES! Slow downs are minimal to non-existent, even on slower machines.
All Videos are now working including the Transcendence Project videos.
All the other cool stuff you've come to know in the FFP mod.
Borg now appears as some barbarian classes.
A small change in the tech tree.
Some Graphical and sound Improvements and added text.
* New Unique Units for Federation, Klingons, and Romulans.
What is not included:
About 2/3rds of CIVS are not in this release and hense not their unique ships or buildings. Since I am going with a whole new system, I'm adding in the civs one at time, so you'll only have 7 civs to choose from in this release.
Special Abilities such as cloaking device, Red Alert, and Assimilation are not yet up and running.
Certain Promotions are not included in this release.
Graphics and sound are "unpaked"
* Star Trek "events" have not been added yet

Beta 3h (Last build on the old system - VERY BUGGY!) -

Transcendence Victory is now 'Spaceshipless'
Transcendence Movies added
some technology tree changes
added tech quotes
Beta 3g -

Transcendence Victory working
Building Bug fixed
Embassy/transwarp signal Bug fixed.
Slave revolt removed due to unfixable bug.
More Rouge Alien Attacks
Beta 3f - Movie Bug fixed

Beta 3e - includes patchfile
CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

Beta 3d - All Borg issues resolved (fingers crossed)

Borg planet building bug resolved
Borg Viculum CRITICAL bug resolved
Unique Buildings for the Borg completed.
Unique Borg Units completed.
Beta 3c - 12 New Leaders, Fixed Planetary distress Beacon (game balance), Several
other balance issues fixed, Borg Game play fixed, 10 new buildings, Victory Movies Fixed, Transcendence Victory now active (but not tested), Minor Graphical Changes (6/23/2012)

Beta 3b - First Public Beta (6/1/2012)

BETA GOALS:
Spoiler :

BETA 4 - All Civs, Graphics, and sounds included
BETA 5 - Action Buttons and Events
BETA 6 - Scenarios

INSTALLATION HELP:
Spoiler :

TO INSTALL:

Unzip or copy the folder "Star Trek II" to your CIV4: Beyond the Sword "mod" folder.

Example:

[Win32]

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

[win64]

C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

:

When you are done you should have a folder like this one:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Star Trek II

: that contains all the MOD data

To RUN:

Start up Civ4: Beyond the sword. click "advanced". Click "load mod". Select "Star Trek II"

OR

Create a short cut with the following target:

[win32]

"C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Star Trek II

[win64]

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Star Trek II

Video of game play and enterprise era strategy guide

This is a beta and I need your help to make this game as good as it can be!

If you find a bug please tell me about it and be as descriptive as possible. If the game crashes or does something weird, go back a couple of autosaves and try to figure out what is causing it. I can't fixes things if I don't know what they are. Please take some time to help me improve this mod.

Here is a "How-to" tutorial on writing bug reports.

http://www.stevencmillerjr.com/classroom/introvideogametesting/section7/

Feedback is great too and appreciated. Feedback with solutions is even better.

If you have a comment about speed/turn time/Cashes/Freezes ect. Please also post your machine specs. Thank you.

Also if you are interested in helping in ways other then playtesting, please contact me. Here is some things I wouldn't mind some help with:
  • Writing diolog for leader and civlopedia entries:culture:
  • 2d button graphics for buildings and promotions:hammers:
  • skins for 3d models:gp:
  • Someone who has Milkshape or 3d max who can convert 3d models from SOD format to NIF format:science:

CREDITS:
Spoiler :

Lead Programmer and Designer:
Cpt. Tripps 2012

Based on work by:
Deanej (Star Trek Mod I)
Jon Shafer (Final Frontier Mod)
Apenpap (Expanded Star Trek Mod)
TC01 & God-Emperor (Final Frontier Plus Mod)

"Star Trek" Created by Gene Roddenberry

Star Trek Flag Graphics:
Mozza

XML Managers:
Fahrenderfisch
Blackbird

Copy Editor:
Jeelen

Play testing by:
Karma the Jedi
Jeelen

Special Thanks to:
God-Emperor
The_J
Padjur
The_guy
Memory Alpha
Memory Beta

I also recommend you check out the original Star Trek Mod if you haven't played it. It has tons of cool little modmods not in this game.

Thank you and enjoy!!!

If any of you downloaded the patch files, They were NOT for the current version! I deleted them to avoid further confusion. That was my bad.

Beta 3h requires no patch at this time.

Tried it out on Huge Spiralgalaxy map at Epic speed. Looks great, definite improvement of the tech tree, love the leader additions, but...

- them mapview looks screwy. I don't know but you did to the topdpwn view , but I missed the square I wanted my unit to go to several times now...
- gameplay grinds to a halt around turn 175 (you didn't incorporate CAR mod?), at which point I'm just staring at a screen where nothing happens, waitin for the AI to end their turn...

Otherwise: :goodjob:

Map View:

If you are missing your tiles, then you can always turn grid view on from the in-game interface (bottom right side of the screen). Or, if you want the classic startrek mod view, you can alter the "GlobalDefinesAlt.xml" file and change the camera view to what ever you would like.

GlobalDefinesAlt.xml Code:
Spoiler :
Code:
<Define>
		<DefineName>CAMERA_UPPER_PITCH</DefineName>
		<fDefineFloatVal>-65.0</fDefineFloatVal>
	</Define>
	<Define>
		<DefineName>CAMERA_LOWER_PITCH</DefineName>
		<fDefineFloatVal>-25.0</fDefineFloatVal>
	</Define>
	<Define>
		<DefineName>CAMERA_FAR_CLIP_Z_HEIGHT</DefineName>
		<fDefineFloatVal>-2200</fDefineFloatVal>
	</Define>
	<Define>
		<DefineName>CAMERA_START_DISTANCE</DefineName>
		<fDefineFloatVal>3000</fDefineFloatVal>
	</Define>

SPEED ISSUE: Believe it or not, this is about TWICE as fast as the Original Star Trek Mod. It took a lot of work to get it running at the speed it is now. I do plan on doing more streamlining of the code and AI in the future. But you should understand that Star Trek mod, Star Trek mod II, FF, and FFP all have maps that run in PYTHON. If you don't have an amazing computer, I don't recommend you play on the Giant map sizes but the the smaller map sizes. Star trek map flat is the fastest running map IMO. If you are looking for more speed, than I suggest picking the "Normal" options when selecting your map.

Also the Normal and Quick game mods are much faster running than epic or super marathon as they have less rouge alien spawns.

IF you don't mind could you tell me the specs of your Machine?

Also, I don't know What the CAR mod is. What is it?

It's a part of Star Trek mod. It's a modcomp designed by the History of Three Kingdoms team to speed up gameplay. And on a Huge map at least ST II isn't faster, but slower. (I should know because I made several scenarios for it that are faster, even after turn 200.)

CiV runs smoothly on my PC (so at turn 175 I gave up and went back to my CiV game).

What I mean by the topdown view is that it screws up the way you're looking at the map (and I always have the mapgrid on with space maps, because I prefer it that way, and I'm still pointing to the wrong squares occasionally). I know it looks cool now, but it's not enhancing gameplay.

If it was in the original stm, then it is still in there, because I didn't take it out. The DLL is unchanged.

Can you please provide your machine specs?

I see... maybe it's just this game then (I only tried it once so far). So why are you saying ST II is faster than the original then? That I don't see... :confused:

I'm using a 3.4 GHz CPU with 8 GB of RAM, 64 bit drivers. (Same PC I play Star Trek and Star Trek Expanded mods on.)

It is faster. I've been shaving calculations and memory usage everywhere I can. Go back and Play STM1 to compare. I'm only 2ghz and STM1 was at a death crawl by turn 65, never even made it to turn 200 in STM1 (game usually ended around 165 anyway). Now @ Turn 175 STM2 does slow down a bit, and you might even get the windows circle going, but it isn't that bad. Once people start dying off it speeds back up. Now that doesn't mean there isn't more that can be done. It is still a work in progress. In the mean time though, if speed is an issue, try playing on Quick mode (It earns it's name).

BTW, what kind of video card do you have?

No idea, actually, but I play all games on hi res (not just Civ/CiV). But I started a new game (previous was as the Klingons in an Alpha Quadrant setting), and it seems faster now, so congratz on that. :) (Curiously, in my Klingon game I managed to eliminate Romulus early on, but in my current game all civs are still active.)

BTW, I love the custom button sound. ;)

D/Led and played a short test game as Martok; like the button sounds and the expanded tech tree but I noticed that more buildings have health penalties....why is that?

Health penalties - For the same reason they break a glass at a jewish wedding. You got to take the bad with the good. It is boring to just be awesome all the time. There is no strategy in that. By adding health and happiness penalties, it means you actually have think about what you build and when you build it.

Ex. Barracks give a nice EXP bonus, but maybe your already on the unhealthy side. Do you wait until you unlock the hospital or do you eat the health damage? That is the choice you have to make.

Speed - Also, I've done a few more speed hacks since the release, so The next version should run a bit faster.

About the speed: I was running Epic games on Huge maps. My current game is an Epic game on a Large map; although I'm way past turn 200 now and no civs have been eliminated, turn wait is minimal. :)

On the mod as a whole: I like the reworked tech tree (there are more choices, and it really matters which ones you pick and when), and the Promotion system has been refined - for the better (and the Alert Status buttons are a fun and realistic improvement). ;)

Even the mapview, although it takes a bit of getting used to, looks really cool. :D

Noticed a few spelling errors in the Civpedia:

- "Combat Sheilds" for shields

- "Artificial Intelegence" for intelligence

- Terraforming I has a tech quote by a Dr. Carol Marucs (could be right, but I suspect Marcus is what's meant).

All in all a great mod, where obviously a lot of work has been put in, and even for a Beta release it looks great. Keep up the good work! :goodjob:

Thanks for the spell check! I appreciate it. Shields is something I always spell wrong.

Glad your actually getting to play through a game.

I am considering limiting the size of the map because of that speed issue. I never play on the huge map because it is too slow for me, but if it is even slow on your machine (which is much faster then mine), perhaps I should disable that option. I like to let people make the choice for themselves, but I fear people might get turned off by the slow speed and give up on the mod. It is less of an issue in multiplayer and if you were to actually play with more then 7 civs, it is nice to have the larger map.

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't disable it. I like to play on Huge maps (and in this case I added 1 more civ to get all the ones I wanted in), and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Also I'm not aggressive player: I prefer to build up my empire, rather than eliminate the competition.

If I got the time I may add a few basic scenarios for ST II. ;)

Go for it. I'd love to check them out. I've got a couple of plans for scenarios but I'm waiting until I get to BETA 5 as I'm still playing around with some of the game mechanics.

Tripps, the man is right: you should ask a moderator to move the thread to the Modpacks section.

Go for it. I'd love to check them out. I've got a couple of plans for scenarios but I'm waiting until I get to BETA 5 as I'm still playing around with some of the game mechanics.

Well, we'll see. ;)

Found some more Civpedia misspells:

- Mercantile Theory: Opertunity > opportunity

Rule of Aqesition > acquisition.

Promotions:

- "adaptive sheilds"

- "enhanced sheilds"

- "regenerative sheilds".

EDIT: I also noted Heavy ships can't use cloak; is that intentional?

Tripps, the man is right: you should ask a moderator to move the thread to the Modpacks section.

If you see one, let me know.

Yes, it is intentional that heavy ships can't use cloak.

Top Bottom