1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: Return of the Mod

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by odintheking, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Did you test what the tutorial says? It smells funky..

Also, fighters don`t have to be m-units, 95 % of units in Civ3 already represent more than 1 unit..

One other thing.. you do know the AI is tottaly incapable of "naval invasion".. It will send 1 or 2 units per turn atmost..

2. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

Crap. Freakin' Firaxis... that's not good, :sad:. If it's going to be a bunch of planets and space battles, how the hell is anyone going to have fun without space battles and interplanetary battle? :mad:

3. Stormrage

Oh there will be space battles, just like there are sea battles in vanilla, but there won`t be much invasion attempts :(

4. sum_aar_jam

sum_aar_jam Warlord

I have a huge Star War s map But I cannot upload it. It keeps on saying that it is an invalid file entry. Its a ZIP file and only 124kb.

5. Stormrage

Placing planets on a map.. and the Universe is 3D :crazyeye: That was always weird to me, but I guess it can`t be helped :D

Also, sum aar jam, no matter how big the landmasses are, the Artificial Idiot will not invade if there is no land contact.. So no massive land battles, unless you load up 30 or 40 transports and cross the space to the enemy`s planet.. They sure as hell won`t come to you..

6. odintheking

Could you post that map, please, :).

7. Stormrage

I have an idea... make something else, like LM mountains, the space terrain and make all units wheeled except space ships. Make a waterless map. Foot units can`t leave planets, spaceships and fighters can go anywhere..

It doesn`t solve the "invasion" problem, but it makes space ships realistic..

8. odintheking

Hmm... that might work.

BTW, for realism, (and atmosphere) perhaps we could use these cities to represent planets?

9. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

El Justo figured out a way how to make the AI build a lot of Navy ships, and they make some nice battles. I'll talk to him on how he did it.

10. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

The AI will invade foreign continents. It just doesn't like doing it.

Have a look at the last few pages of my Rood thread - this problem is discussed there, since I had to try to use every trick in the book to make the Vikings invade Britain. I more or less managed it. However, the methods I used work best when the AI being "manipulated" is only playable by the AI. If you used these methods for a civ that could also be played, it would be terribly unbalancing.

11. Stormrage

El Justo, if you make the Spaceships like normal ships, meaning that Water will be Space, the AI will not invade..

Plotinus, what was the heaviest invasion you saw being undertaken by the AI, a playable civ, on a random map? In all the cases I witnessed, it was a "spearman VS tank" kinda thing, and I`m talking about the realistic, not civ, version of such a fight ;) They would unload 2 or 3 units and do something stoopid with them. I would slaughter them and wait for the next wave, till I get bored and send a sh!t-load of transports on the suckers.

12. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

Hm, difficult. I've seen amphibious invasions in various Epic games, but you're right, I think the AI is typically not very good at them. In particular, it's shockingly bad at picking targets. Although it's so long since I've played an Epic game, let alone one in which that happened, that I can't really remember.

13. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

In some BETA-testing for Age of Imperialism (El Justo), I saw armies of dozens being moved to fight in Africa, I also saw close to a hundred ships duking it out in the Altantic and the Mediterranean.

14. Stormrage

K, I can dig a hundred ships, but was the civ that invaded Africa playable?

15. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Yes, every civ was playable. What happened was that France and Britain slugged it out for some colonies in North Africa, and then the Italians, Ruskies, Germans, and Balkans came to their respective sides.

16. Chris85

Chris85 Emperor

I actually have seen the AI dish out a decent size invasion from sea if you give it proper tweaking, but most of the time it only drops off like 2-4 or units and leaves them to die. One time I remember there was a game I played with modded rules, where I saw a stack of at least a dozen German Panzers invading my neighboring civ the Iroquois and the Germans were entirely on another continent. They completely leveled the Iroquois, because they were way ahead in tech.

Unfortunately, the AI scripting is a bit weak when it comes to naval invasion and it's hard-coded. It's just something that can be done better in Civ4 I'm afraid. :(

17. sum_aar_jam

sum_aar_jam Warlord

Here is the huge map of the Star Wars Galaxies. It is a 365*365 map and includes nearly every planet in their reletavely correct positions. The land masses are big for each planet so it should ensure big land battles, however I dont know about the whole huge invasion problems we've been discussing. Heres the link:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2101

18. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

That's one huge map.

19. Stormrage

It`ll be unplayable..

20. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Yeah, unless we turn off sea and air trade.