Starting A World War

LethalLeigh

Prince
So I was playing a game where I started alone on top of the map and none of the other Civs near me.
So I decided to play a game where I would be Ally to everyone and trade, trade, trade. I was going to use this game to get the Achiev of researching every Tech and fill out every virtue tier. so in short (lol) a long game.

everything was going fine I was ally with all 7 AI civs when one AI declared war on another. then something HILARIOUS happened!

I not only declared war on the attacking civ, but so did all my allies. However because I was allied with the attacking civ I then declared war on all other civs that declared war on the attacking civ. then all my allies (which I just declared war on) declared war on every other civ I declared war on.

So in 1 turn, every player in the game went from friendly/ally to WAR all because I was allies with them.

I love funny quirks in the game like this.

Do you have any funny stories of your own?

So I was playing a game where I started alone on top of the map and none of the other Civs near me.
So I decided to play a game where I would be Ally to everyone and trade, trade, trade. I was going to use this game to get the Achiev of researching every Tech and fill out every virtue tier. so in short (lol) a long game.

everything was going fine I was ally with all 7 AI civs when one AI declared war on another. then something HILARIOUS happened!

I not only declared war on the attacking civ, but so did all my allies. However because I was allied with the attacking civ I then declared war on all other civs that declared war on the attacking civ. then all my allies (which I just declared war on) declared war on every other civ I declared war on.

So in 1 turn, every player in the game went from friendly/ally to WAR all because I was allies with them.

I love funny quirks in the game like this.

Do you have any funny stories of your own?

I wouldn't call that a quirk. I would call that something that needs to be fixed.

Although I suppose if intentional, that's a good way to make players respect and fear alliances.

I agree, it should be fixed - doesn't make sense that if two nations you were allied with went to war you would attack both of them.

Even without that scenario, it is irritating when a Civ you are allied with declares war... usually on YOUR neighbor. I can see two ways to fix this:

1. You don't automatically join wars allied players declare, only wars declared on them.
2. You can pay some amount of diplomatic capital (and maybe downgrade the relationship) to not declare war.

Yeah I agree if you are allied with someone and they go to war you should have the option to either cancel alliance or go to war or if allied with both sides have a choose which side you want to go with.

There should be severe consequences from spamming alliances that you do not honor. If you can choose whether to honor an alliance, that means whoever you are allied with cannot count on your support. What, then, would an alliance mean? You get "dibs" on joining their war, if you feel like it? I suppose the ability to dishonor an alliance would imitate real life, but let's play it out as a game mechanic -- for this to work as a game mechanic, it can't be a human player-only option -- the AI would need to have the same option as the human player, and I can hear the howls of protest from every corner of the forums if the AI were to surprise human players by dishonoring an alliance with the human player.

If you do have the option of dishonoring an alliance, that should come with severe external and internal consequences -- a very large diplo hit with the faction whose alliance you dishonored (including perhaps that faction getting a "free" DOW against you if they desire), and a sizable, but perhaps smaller, diplo hit with other factions, and some sort of enduring internal malus (to mimic the impact of your duplicity on your own people's views of your government).

There should be severe consequences from spamming alliances that you do not honor. If you can choose whether to honor an alliance, that means whoever you are allied with cannot count on your support. What, then, would an alliance mean? You get "dibs" on joining their war, if you feel like it? I suppose the ability to dishonor an alliance would imitate real life, but let's play it out as a game mechanic -- for this to work as a game mechanic, it can't be a human player-only option -- the AI would need to have the same option as the human player, and I can hear the howls of protest from every corner of the forums if the AI were to surprise human players by dishonoring an alliance with the human player.

If you do have the option of dishonoring an alliance, that should come with severe external and internal consequences -- a very large diplo hit with the faction whose alliance you dishonored (including perhaps that faction getting a "free" DOW against you if they desire), and a sizable, but perhaps smaller, diplo hit with other factions, and some sort of enduring internal malus (to mimic the impact of your duplicity on your own people's views of your government).

Agreed. The option should only be presented if two or more of your allies go to war. It's logical you would need to pick a side or back out all together. It's a better option than automatic war with both. And yes, the AI should have the same option under similar circumstances. The reasoning should also be communicated with the decision so the situation is clear to all involved.

Penalties should be much less for refusing to support an ally who is the aggressor and is the one declaring war, compared to refusing to support an ally who is being victimized or in defensive war.

This happened to (by surprise) when everyone was at war with me, because I was allied with them. It didn't realize on me until later that they were at war with each other as well.

Just to add in an additional perspective: I think your game may have bugged out. Mainly because I've had two allies go to war before, and while I was pulled into war with one of them, not sure whether the aggressor or the aggressed, I wasn't pulled into war with both. This is presumably because the declaration of war breaks the alliance, preventing the spread of war.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd speculate that either almost everyone in that game was allies to almost everyone else, thus causing a snowball effect as the turns passed from AI to AI, or more simply, the AI you Were forced to declare on was allied to everyone else (or to another that was allied to everyone else). Were it simply you being allied to everyone, you'd have merely declared on one. Basically, it was probably WWI.

Top Bottom