Starting in the Poles

Nick Garai

Prince
Anyone here ever start a game and they are on the frigid northern or southern poles? Has anyone ever won a game when they start like this on the glacier areas and the BEST land MIGHT be tundra?

In one of the earliest games of Civ2 I ever played, I ended up with 2 settlers on the north pole with no land in sight. I sent them in opposing directions and eventually found one 8 tile island made of 4 plains and 4 forests off the north pole. (It is amazing I remember this much detail; this was nearly a decade ago.) I played the game till the end and survived but did not win. At the time I was a very experienced Civ1 player but did not know how to play Civ2 well yet. I have some saves from that game, but do not remember if I have the starting one. I have often thought about replaying that game and see how well I can do now that I know the game much better.

I've done it a few times with random starts - tend to be Small maps with Archipelago (sp?) landmass settings and starting as Purple civ. The other civs take the better starting positions and you get the dregs since you are placed last. Usually get a second settler and a handful of techs, sometimes even Monarchy. As Ali mentioned it is worth surveying the pole to see if there is a half-decent land bridge toward an island. Sometimes the land juts out a bit and there will be a Whale just offshore. It's a good challenge, especially in Deity, and makes Seafaring much more valuable.

Top Bottom