Starting Location Overhaul

Ryika

Lazy Wannabe Artista
Starting Position Overhaul
"Get off my lawn!"​

I stopped re-posting my mods here a while ago, but I'll make an exception for this one as I assume it may be interesting for people who usually don't use mods - I still remember a lot of people complaining about the issue of having AIs land very, very close to them. So this mod makes some changes to how Starting Plots are evaluated after the map is seeded, with the main goal of preventing sponsors to be clunked together and overall making better use of the whole map.

The Features:
- Sponsors will, if physically possible, no longer be spawned close to each other but instead get spread out around the map. In my testings this had a very high success-rate, almost never did I find myself in a situation where there were any AIs on the map that were not separated by at least ~10-12 tiles between them.
- There's also a joke going around that you can predict where other Sponsors are going to land by looking at the areas with the least resources. (Which seems to be somewhat true and caused by the fact that Luxury Resources from Civ 5 have been removed from the Equation). I made some minor changes here, too - especially starting locations with few food-heavy base tiles get additional basic resources.
- This mod overrides AssignStartingPlots.lua and will be incompatible with other mods that do the same

This mod can easily be imported into the base game by copying the AssignStartingPlots.lua that can be found in the mod folder to:

Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\assets\Gameplay\Lua
(Create a backup of the original file and if you want to play Multiplayer you most restore it first! (Unless everybody uses the edited version))

Download: Steam Workshop - or use steamworkshopdownloader as an Alternative.

Ryika, any chance of a Rising Tide update? Pretty please? With sugar on top?

I have no interest in creating a version for Rising Tide, and I think because of the water, there isn't really that much need for it, as you pretty much always have enough room to expand, even with a close neighbor.

But if you want to play around with it yourself, have a look at the mod. I left comments on pretty much all the changes I made to the file (AssignStartingPlots.lua), so it should not be too hard to understand what I did in the mod. (Don't take those comments as gospel though, I only understand half of it myself) Simply replicate the changes I made in...

D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\assets\DLC\Expansion1\Gameplay\Lua\AssignStartingPlots.lua

...and play around with the numbers until you have something you find works for you.

Make a backup of the original file and one of the edited file so you can swap back and forth if needed, and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom