1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stats Hiding

Discussion in 'Team SANCTA' started by Krill, Jun 17, 2009.

1. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

Would we have had a different strategy? You'd have to convince me that we would have

That's a considerably different argument than the one we have been making.

What decisions would have been different had this not been allowed from the very beginning?
    What discussions would we have had?

2. Memphus

Memphus Chieftain

Well it is difficult to speculate becaue Krill and I always knew this was possible, and as such put little weight into :espionage: (or for that matter :commerce: as it is all a huga-balloo.)

But feasibly we are a finacial leader so we could have more cottages = more :commerce: and less :hammers: than we do now.

For example the other descision we made was to NOT use slavery due to the chance of a slave riot. Well had we known no negatives events at the begging of the game we might not of made that choice.

The way I see it is, if other teams find out we do something else that is "outside" the box of the normal parametes, do they get rid of that too?

3. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 Chieftain

This is 1 of the clearest reasons to NOT implement a rule IMO.

4. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Yes. We would have cottaged IS more, and altered our strategy accordingly to the extent that we would have played this game very differently.

5. mostly-harmless

mostly-harmless Chieftain

I believe the method should be allowed. I also think that the benefits in game or rather the disadvantage for the team that gets "false" intel is overstated. You can see what techs your rival can research. Now, if you are in a war with that rival and your espionage tells you that they are researching Divine Right at a very glacial pace for many turns instead of deficit researching, say Military Tradition to get an edge in the war, well, your should get a surprise as you are clearly analysing your raw espionage data wrongly.

mh

6. Krill

Krill Chieftain

Sorry Ruff, you wrote this much better than I ever could.

Is this an exploit, and should we either go public with it, or use it?

Personally, this is something that I am happy to either use or vote down; it's risky to use, and can be abused pretty strongly. I'd probably air on the side of caution and not use it, because it can be prety easy to screw up when using the tactic.

Spoiler :

7. dutchfire

dutchfire Moderator Moderator

Better to go out in the open with it IMO.

8. Krill

Krill Chieftain

(Should have noted, works in 3.17, don;t know if it works in 3.19)

9. IamJohn

IamJohn (was)?

I've been testing the exploit in 3.19 and it seems to work for the first couple turns of the game, but after a little bit it seems to dump the research and thereafter just not do any research if you don't have something selected when you end a turn.

Edit: Stupid question, but how much of this technique could be coming from the fact that the ais are also research tech? For example I was trying this be selected bronze working and wasn't going anywhere, but when I selected fishing as a tech to research I was already quite close to researching it, even though I hadn't selected it as a tech to research at any other point.

10. Krill

Krill Chieftain

I'm looking at atm, I think it's been fixed. That's good, this technique can be really abused...