Steam Q&A and FAQ

Crash on building first city? Sounds familiar, but you really want to run through the technical support forum.

Generic advice would be to defrag, update video drivers and make sure you've uninstalled stuff for hardware no longer in the computer.

Thanks for the comments.
@Genocidicbunny
"Optimists learn English, Pessimists learn Chinese. Realists learn to assemble an AK-47." LOL
@Senethro
Most likely you're right. This computer belongs to my oldest son and who knows what mess is on it, but as I play occasionally to relax I'll just have to stick to older strategy games. Pity.

so heres a question... please keep in mind... i dont know S about computers except i like to play civ and check email etc...... Ok so i only own a mc and of course i bought the game when it first came out for pc... recently i realized the mac version came out so i went to buy that and a Geek squad gentlemen informed i dont need to buy it... i can just used my old game to get the new one... so once again me being a newb i forgot that i already set up a steam account, and today i tried to used my code again... after hours of research (and frustration) i figured out what i just told you.. my question is... Will i have to buy the mac version. also i am in contact with the steam support but i was hoping to play already.. and if am gonna need to buy it anyways then i dont wanna wait.. i hope this makes sense and thanks for the 411

so heres a question... Will i have to buy the mac version. ...

From what you say I think you previously bought a PC Civ 5 disc which had an activation code which you used to activate on steam. As you already have the PC version you do not need to re-buy the mac version. All you need to do is:

Install Steam on your mac
Go to your Library in steam - it will list Civ 5 from when you registered the PC version with the code
Install Civ 5 to your mac from steam
Play

If you have a disc and code for a PC version you will not use that again as the disc is for PC and the code is already tied to your steam account when you installed it last time so can not be used again. If you can not remember your steam account details you will need to contact steam.

thanks... your replies are all correct to a certain degree.... i think i better understand the situation now... i did by the pc version and install the pc version on to my mac using parrallels... anyhow i dont have or cant think of anyway on my own to obtain the account info from my previous account... so i setup up a new one and a support account and attempted to have my code reset by sending appropiate info and a pic lol... that was yesterday... the best buy guy said steam has a good "team".. anyone know of anything else i can do

I don't know what you mean by
i did by the pc version and install the pc version on to my mac using parrallels...
but what you need to do is download Steam onto your Mac from here:
http://store.steampowered.com/about/
and then install it. To install the Mac version of Civ5 you have to download it from Steam when you are logged into your account.

When you get to the log in screen click on Retrieve Lost Account and then provide the relevant info. Should be fairly easy.

anyhow i dont have or cant think of anyway on my own to obtain the account info from my previous account... so i setup up a new one and a support account and attempted to have my code reset by sending appropiate info and a pic lol... that was yesterday...

Support will probably take a few days, not sure why the retrieve account thing didn't work for you unless you didn't try it.

thanks... your replies are all correct to a certain degree.... i think i better understand the situation now... i did by the pc version and install the pc version on to my mac using parrallels... anyhow i dont have or cant think of anyway on my own to obtain the account info from my previous account... so i setup up a new one and a support account and attempted to have my code reset by sending appropiate info and a pic lol... that was yesterday... the best buy guy said steam has a good "team".. anyone know of anything else i can do

They are good but they can be very slow. You'll likely have to be patient, 5 days kind of patient.

If you get other games or DLC for civ then it'll all be tied to the same Steam account, so make sure and record the new details somehow, set up a recovery email address and all.

Last May Steam started a thing where games marked with the SteamPlay logo in the store you buy once and get both the PC and the Mac version. It'll just install the version for whichever OS is running at the time. Civ5 is one of the Steamplay games so you do already own both the PC and Mac verisons.

1. Why did you installed PC version of Steam via Parrallels??? Steam have native Mac version.....
2. Cancel you current support ticket and create new ticket where you request login reset for your original Steam account - make sure to provide proof of ownership (payment info if you bought Civ5 from Steam, photo of CD key if you bought Civ5 from retail) - this way your situation will be resolved sooner because tickets where ownership of CD key is disputed take much longer than normal request for reset of login info.

When will Vikings/Sweden/Norway be on DLC?

No idea, ask Firaxis. It has nothing to do with Steam (other than that is where you buy it and dl it from).

I'll be switching out my home PC in a month or so. Are there any issues I should be aware of when reinstalling Civ V on my new PC? I am assuming it will be a simple reinstall from the CD I purchased from Amazon. I didn't buy the original game from Steam.

Top Bottom