1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Q&A and FAQ

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by asbestosman, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Nope, there should not be any issues. The game is at this point tied to your account, so as long as you remember the credentials for that, the install will be really easy. Heck, you could also install the Steam client and just download the game using it (although the disk install will be faster)

2. spider1

spider1 Chieftain

Thanks everyone for your answers. I’m fixing to order all the stuff for my new computer.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.6GHz Turbo Boost
    Intel 320 120 GB SATA SSD – for the OS and Civ 5 install
    SATA 3 GB drive for backups and stuff
    16 GB RAM
    ASUSP8P67 Intel P67 motherboard
    GeForce 560 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express video

Civ 5 is gonna rock with this set up. No more slow downs on large maps for me. :)

3. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

You don't need 16 GBs of RAM. Even 8 gigs is more than enough, any more and its a complete waste.

4. Colonel Bogey

Colonel Bogey Chieftain

You can't drive faster than 70mph on UK roads but people still buy Ferraris...

5. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Not only irrelevent but wrong. You CAN drive faster than 70mph, it just isn't allowed. 16 gigs isn't going to actually speed anything up as most of the RAM is simply not going to be used.

6. Rebel44

Rebel44 Chieftain

Not true for everyone - I have 8GB since January 2008 and sometimes have only around 100MB RAM available - games + several VMs can easily eat tons of RAM :)

7. Colonel Bogey

Colonel Bogey Chieftain

You can also jump off cliffs, touch electricity with your tongue and inhale gas.

There was nothing wrong with what I said within the context I said it.

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: Back to topic please.
    This thread is for questions about steam, and the current discussion isn't even remotely connected to steam.

9. urbanknight

urbanknight Chieftain

i purchased the package of new civilizations from steam; it shows on my account/purchases page, but, they are not there when i play; my attempts to contact steam support result in my being advised that my login info is wrong, i.e. my user name and password; yet, i am able to log into the game with my user name and password but it is not recognized anywhere else on the site; i am unable to contact steam about this; when i choose ' send password ' again, i am told i have no account; any help is appreciated

10. Rebel44

Rebel44 Chieftain

Restart Steam.

Go to Steam library, right click on Civ5, select Properties, click on Local Files and there you click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

After its finished, start Civ5 and try to setup new game where you can check if those civilizations are in game.

If they are still missing you need to contact Steam Support

Steam Support account (and Steam forum account) are separate from your Steam account login.

So just create new account in Steam Support and there you will be able to submit ticket.

11. spider1

spider1 Chieftain

The updates to the game will be auto downloaded by Steam, but what about all the DLC's I've purchased? Will I have to download them again on my new PC?

12. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Is the same for the DLC.
    The DLC is connected to your account, it should automatically get downloaded when you download the game.

13. spider1

spider1 Chieftain

Thanks guys! I can't wait to see how Civ 5 looks with a nice new powerful rig. Hopefully there isn't any horribleness involved with running Civ 5 on Win 7 64bit. I'll find out soon enough though I suppose. LOL

14. spider1

spider1 Chieftain

Civ 5 looks really good when you have all the video settings set to high. With a nice processor and video card, this game performs noticably better. Can't wait until I have enough time start a game on a large map to check that part out.

15. Aaeamdar

Aaeamdar Chieftain

Here is the exchange so far (with my phone number redacted). Anyone else had this issue? Anyway to resolve this that you know?
    ____

This Question's Message(s)
    1 Message by you on Sun, 1st May 2011 1:56 pm
    Purchased DLP for Civ V. DLP shows up in my steam purchases. Clicked "install" button from steam. It appears to complete. Launch Civ V and no DLP is available.

2 Message by Support Tech Misha on Mon, 2nd May 2011 2:28 pm
    Hello Paul,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Unfortunately, the Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - DLC Bundle requires the base game Sid Meier's Civilization® V on Steam in order to play.

Our records indicate that you own the retail version of the game on Steam. This version is not compatible with the digital downloadable content.

As with most software products, we do not offer refunds or exchanges on games, DLC or in-game items purchased on our website or through the Steam Client.

As a one-time customer service gesture we can issue you store credit for the amount of your purchase into your Steam Wallet. The credit will also remove the title or item from your account.

Please confirm that you would like us to proceed with this credit.

3 Message by you on Mon, 2nd May 2011 4:49 pm
    This initially strikes me as very odd. What is the difference between the Civ V I purchased and the one sold through Steam? Is there no reasonable way to deal with this? Please have a supervisor from CS contact me by phone. I can be reached at xxxxxxxxx. Thanks so much.

16. MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Chieftain

That's pretty strange. I have the retail version of the game and have bought all the DLCs except for the Cradle of Civilization map pack, and all work for me.

17. LilyPadma

LilyPadma Chieftain

I just tried to start Civ V and got a Steam message that the game is not available. Anybody have any idea what that's about?

ETA: Nevermind. On the third attempt it started downloading an update.

18. Rebel44

Rebel44 Chieftain

Looks like error by support rep. - tell them that Civ5 is Steamworks game and as such retail version is same as Steam version and that DLCs can only be bought from Steam.

It might also be good idea to contact "2K Greg" or "2K Elizabeth" at 2K forums who are likely to be able to contact Valve (Steam) directly. If you decide to contact him, include your Steam support ticket ID.

19. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

20. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

That's pretty shoddy customer support. The fact a Valve employee doesn't know Civ5 is a Steamworks title (and hence whether you registered a cd key from a retail copy or bought directly from steam is irrelevant) is, while understandable, a bit embarrassing.

I'm also surprised they go so quickly to offering you a refund, calling it a "one-time customer service gesture". Perhaps you can politely ask them that they save that one-time gesture for another occasion. :)