Steam Q&A and FAQ

This attachment may help people find their way.

Attachments

• SteamStop.JPG
    SteamStop.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,138
Hope you don't mind but I am stealing that image.

EDIT: Since this got moved, maybe the above picture should go in the OP?

Check your options menu people, its the first thing I do whenever I start a new game (or program), and it has never been anything but a HUGE help :)

Moderator Action: I merged threads but forgot to look at the date stamps on the posts so Shane's OP is now third, will try to get that fixed. :)

Is there anyway to set a homepage in the overlay interface web browser? (for CFC of course :) )
Not that I am aware of. However, you can skin it. This links to a lot of well known interface skins.

IF my account has a civ5 copy already and someone else tries to gift me civ5, can I then pass that civ5 copy onto someone else since I already have it?
The situation you describe should not be possible. Source
How can I tell if my friend already owns one of these games?
If you are sending a gift directly through Steam, users who already own this game will automatically be filtered out of the potential list of recipients. You could always just ask to make sure as well.

If you are positive that they do not have this game, you can send it to their email. Users who already have a subscription to a gift they’ve received will not be able to activate it on their existing account.

Got in a couple of quickies, will try and get to a couple more later tonight. Now, I'm off to dinner for my birthday. :)

When Steamworks gives an unable to connect to server message and quits, how can you start it in "offline mode" so such an error won't matter so I can actually play offline games like Civ V?

any suggestions for steams inability to update and connect...Just bought game so i don't have the option to play in offline as sooo many "helpful" people have suggested. I would just like a phone number of the ceo for steam so that I could at least have the satisfaction of asking the fine fellow if he actually thinks this is "good" for business. I have bought a game fair and square...but i can't play it because...there may be a problem with my internet connection?? what crap!! How about because thier servers are unabe to keep up with demand from people who have paid for thier game. THis is exactly the reason I have not bought steam games for the last three years...I see things have not improved...any suggestions friend?

When i logged early today i was surprised i couldnt connect to steam but specially not amussed when i coudnt start a game in offline mode since i couldnt connect to steam to put myself in offline in the first place

teh?

Moderator Action: Merged into the Steam Q&A thread

When i logged early today i was surprised i couldnt connect to steam but specially not amussed when i coudnt start a game in offline mode since i couldnt connect to steam to put myself in offline in the first place

teh?

Moderator Action: Merged into the Steam Q&A thread

The only time you have to be connected to Steam is when you first install/download the game. Otherwise, all you have to do is click on the game, and even if you don't have an internet connection, Steam will recognize this and ask if you want to play in offline mode, then you should be able to play. :)

Is there a way to make it so I don't have to look at an ad for some computer game every time I close Civ V?
Yeah there is.... load Steam, goto Settings->Interface and click on the button at the bottom ("Notify me (with Steam instant messages) about additions or changes to my games, new releases and upcoming releases").

I would just like a phone number of the ceo for steam

Well there isn't a CEO of Steam (afaik), but you can contact the CEO of VALVe (the makers of Steam) by this e-mail:
gaben
@
valvesoftware
.com

IF you get a reply, please do screenshot both e-mails and post them back here :)

For those with legally purchased copies there are easy to install mods out there that neuter Steam so you never have to deal with it or register your copy.

I'm a volunteer mod at the official steam forum and a huge Civ fan. (sounds a bit confessional) And... apparently, a glutton for punishment, or so we'll find out in this thread. ;)

That said, please post any questions you have regarding Steam. I'll add them into the OP and give links to the Steam page as need be.

My goal is to be helpful in terms of giving factual information about Steam to dispel misperceptions and hopefully help you have a good experience w/ Civ5 on Steam.

Rules:
1. If you want an answer post in a civil and reasonable manner.
2. Its OK to be critical so long as you follow rule #1.
3. Any uncivil or inappropriate questions will be directed to the mod staff for removal and/or appropriate disposition.
4. No questions about things that are business decisions on the part of 2K or Valve. For example, pricing, release date, etc... these don't have anything to do w/ how steam works and are beyond what I can answer.
5. No questions on other games, IE "WTF is what that TF2 update?"

Notes:
1. I work F/T, have kids, etc... so if it takes me a couple days for an answer or two, please be patient.
2. As I said, I'm a VOLUNTEER mod. I'm not paid by Valve nor do I speak in any official capacity for them.

Useful links:

General Steam Support
Steam Forums
Civilization forum in Steam Forums (all games are handled in 1 forum)

How do I get a refund of civ 5?

How do I get a refund of civ 5?

You can't. I'm sorry but the big publishers (of which 2K is amongst) do NOT like the used games market. It is against the ToS of Steam and the End User License Agreemnt for Civ5 or probably any game to sell your account/license (you do not own software, you own a license to use it, and yes this was held up by a US court recently) too.

You can't. I'm sorry but the big publishers (of which 2K is amongst) do NOT like the used games market. It is against the ToS of Steam and the End User License Agreemnt for Civ5 or probably any game to sell your account/license (you do not own software, you own a license to use it, and yes this was held up by a US court recently) too.

Can you give me a link to that recent US court decision, I'd be interested to read the Judges ruling.

CS

Can someone from Steam please contact me? I pre-ordered Civ 5 on September 17 and I still haven't received it and now the Steam webpage doesn't recognize my password or secret question answer. I called the phone number on my bill but no one has called me back.

Top Bottom