1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Steam Released] Renaissance Era Revised

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by zwei833, Jan 5, 2016.

1. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

Thanks for the feedbacks. :goodjob:Will fix.

2. von_Wurttemburg

von_Wurttemburg Chieftain

Hello, zwei833, please help!
    I'm using your Renaissance Era Revised, JFD's Pitey and Prestige, Cities in Develpment and Exploration Continued Expanded, Tpangolin's Mexico, Danmacsch's Denmark and LastSword's Poland is love and life. After I captured Mexico's capital, a few turns later a two-handed swordsman suddenly appeared next to my city and captured my worker (I swear there no Mexico unit around!), and even I eliminated him, the two-handed swordsman appeared again few turns later, just repeated and repeated again! Everytime in the same tile! Even though I put a unit on that tile he would still kick my unit and appear in the tile! The bug is VERY annoying!:mad::mad:

Sorry I started a new game and forgot to keep the log.:(

3. Chrisy15

Chrisy15 Flower, Beautiful

It's a Community Paatch issue, and it been reported numerous times.

4. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

STEAM Release!
    Direct Download | Steam Subscribe

Updated to v.2:
    -on Steam now
    -Add quote text of Pike and Shot, thanks to Hoop Thrower
    -With EE, Reiter and all its uniques now cost 150
    -With EE, Unique musketman now upgrade to Skirmisher but obsolete at Steam Power

5. Chrisy15

You might want to update a couple of Help/Strategy tooltips - Metallurgy still claims to provide the Lancer.

6. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

I did, just posted an old screenshot on steam, sorry...
    Spoiler :

---------------------------
    Edit:

I updated the mod. Added referance to Enthic Diversity and R.E.D, to make sure the unit scale of new units would be proper if you use R.E.D, still no diversity graphic for new units, though.

Not affect the save files.

7. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

Moderator Action: Thread moved to Civ5 Modpacks sub-forum.

8. Chrisy15

Whoops - serves me for being lazy!

9. Chrisy15

Made a file of RER unit triggers, have I done them right?

[Edit] Forgot to add a trigger for removing Anti Mounted promotions from Lancers. Whoops.

Attached Files:

10. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

11. Chrisy15

Conflict with CID - CID moves Land-dude to Nobility, and as such will override RER's move to Large Weapons. Just reference CID in Associations to fix.

12. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

Chrisy, sorry for late to reply--have a fever these days so don't have enough time to modding. What is the effect of the code? I test it with JFD's Muscovy, the musketman UU seem to have no changes with the code. What should I do with these codes? just add the SQL into the mod or I should delete something in the codes RER already have?

But RER already have refereance to CID:
    Code:
      <References>
        <Mod id="a19351c5-c0b3-4b07-8695-4affaa199949" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="JFD's and Pouakai's Mercenaries" />
        <Mod id="10e9728f-d61c-4317-be4f-7d52d6bae6f4" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="JFD's Cities in Development" />
        <Mod id="eea66053-7579-481a-bb8d-2f3959b59974" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="JFD&#8217;s Piety" />
        <Mod id="ce8aa614-7ef7-4a45-a179-5329869e8d6d" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="Enlightenment Era" />
        <Mod id="7fdd72a5-d4ae-441c-bc4e-2e3d2a26cff4" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="Ethnic Units" />
        <Mod id="8670da15-d435-44ea-9758-7438cb321411" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="R.E.D. Modpack" />
      </References>

13. Chrisy15

The code should update all the units with the same changes you did for them in te GameDefines, Units and ModSupport files. Evidently, however, they're not working - are logs showing anything?

I think JFD changed CID's mod ID with the last update, because I had to re-enter the References entry for one of my mods as well.

That's a point - SKorea will need updating with that as well. Come on JFD, some of us are trying to support your mods!

[Edit] Just checked, and CID's ID is fine... still, two mods have had their CID support fail after an update, so there must be some reason.

14. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

15. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

No tech issue for me too...
    Have you cleared you cache today, Chrisy?

16. Chrisy15

Spoiler :

This is teh issue.

It's all down to load order - something in the References is failing, and so we default to Civ's load order. Since CID has just been updated, it is the lowest in the load order - if I were to remove RER and replace it in the folder, I suspect the issue would be fixed. That's why I blamed you for changing CID's ID - but you haven't, so it must be something else.

17. Chrisy15

Musketmen aren't good. They would be fine, except that Crossbows are so much better. I'll explain.

In vanilla, X-Bows last the whole of the renaissance. During that time, they're still capable of taking down cities, although you might also want to use cannons to support. However, you're X-Bows are going to be higher level, because they'll be upgraded from the Comp Bows you used in the Classical era. Therefore, you will be happy to keep with your X-Bows. When Gat Guns come along, suddenly your X-Bows are upgraded into something that's not as strong. Sure, you can make sure that your X-Bows get Range, but by this point I don't think it matters. This is because of 3 reasons:
    1. The Arsenal has increased city health
    2. Riflemen
    3. Artillery are amazing

The first reason's pretty minor - sure, Arsenals increase city health, but that's what the Cannons you've got lying about are for.

The second reason's more substantial - Riflemen have 34 strength, while X-Bows have 13. This means that Riflemen will easily take out ~2/3 of a X-Bow's health. Sure, you can use your Riflemen to protect them, but X-Bows' 18 Ranged Strength doesn't do much against 34, especially if they've got cover.

The final reason is the killer. Artillery is one of the biggest gamechangers. Suddenly, that hilly, mountain fortress you had is nothing. Artillery can shoot from outside the city's range, and over anything. This means that it really doesn't matter if you've got 2-range Gat Guns, or even 3-range X-Bows, because Artillery obsolete both.

The issue is that Musketmen don't have any of these things going for them. Okay, so maybe they've got point 2; 26 vs 13 might do some damage. But the ranged strength increase is so minor that it doesn't make much of a difference whether you're attacking a Tercio with 22 or 18. The difference is that you can hit the Tercio with a lot more 18s than you can 22s, because of the X-Bow's range.

Regarding point 1, adding a new defensive building could help obsolete the X-Bow, forcing you to use Cannons. This could work well, but it would mean a bit of messing around with EE compatiability. Still, could work.

Point 3's the kicker, though. The reason that people are fine with reducing their age-old range units to 1 range is because of Artillery. In RER, there's no equivalent for this - You're just making all your age-old range units weaker. Therefore, Musketmen either need a bonus, or there needs to be something to obsolete them both. Option 1 would be easiest, but I can't think of anything nice. Possibly make X-Bows cost Iron? Or is that too much stuff costing Iron? And it doesn't make much sense, really, that you're going to make a crossbow need an Iron resource when pikes, gun barrels, and chainmail armour don't need it. Or maybe giving Muskets a small bonus against cities, or against other units? Could Muskets get a bonus against Longswords and 2-handers? Could work, but then you'd need to give the same to the Tercio, which would negate the 2-Hander's bonus.

Just some ideas :)

(Oh, and am I the only one who thinks that Gripsholm Castle is a bit weak?)

18. Chrisy15

Good news! Attached to this post is the fully functional unit triggers! They are in the form of a mod, so that the general public may use it until Zwei updates the mod. However, in order for the unit triggers to work, all the old unit updates must be removed.

These may be found in RER_Units.xml, RER_ModSupport.sql, and RER_GameDefines.sql. All entries referring to units other than the 2Hander, the Tercio or the Free Company must be removed/commented out. This is because they are all redone in the trigger file.

Now, while the triggers will allow functional support for mods, I would still recommend that modders add support for RER as well. The main cases where this is necessary are where you are using SELECT statements to acquire values from the Musketman or Lancer, or where you are making a unique of an RER affected unit that you wish to have a different upgrade path. Musketmen have many complications in their support, including converting promotions from their melee versions to their ranged versions, and their AITypes being replaced solely by UNITAI_RANGED. I'll be the first to admit that the triggers do not do a good job of handling these cases, and that they are mainly for functional support rather than balanced or complete support. To maximise playability, I'd recommend manually removing these triggers when adding new civs, and then placing them back in afterwards. This will (hopefully) place them further down the load order, where the mods won't be relying on my triggers to change things.

The only balance change I have made to the original RER mod is making Winged Hussars not upgrade into Curassiers, and instead go straight for Cavalry, because Winged Hussars are better than Curassiers!

So yeah - enjoy!

[Edit 27/02] Small patch to fix an issue that would lead to the AI carpeting muskets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding RER balance, I noticed some issues with the CP AI. Since Musketmen and Tercios don't require Machinery or Civil Service respectively, the CP AI appears to disregard these techs and beeline for the bottom of the tree. This leads to the scenario of 2Handers and Longswords fighting alongside Spearmen, while Muskets support Composite Bows. Something should be done about this, but I admittedly can't see a nice way of managing it. Another issue is the fact that it is very easy to bypass EE's Curassier, which is fine straight up until the point where you want to upgrade to Cavalry. Therefore, I think that it would be possible to add a new tech to the Enlightenment Era, just above Flintlock, which houses the Curassier and some wonder or building. I make this proposal here since it is the Reiter that makes the Curassier impotent and not worth the effort of getting.

Now, which button wakes up Zwei...

Attached Files:

19. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

Is this mod compatible with Future Worlds?

20. Chrisy15

Yes. It is compatible with all era mods that don't affect the bottom part of the Renaissance era - except EE, which is supported.

TL;DR: Yes.