• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Stooges

kumquatelvis

Prince
I received a very amusing event where a hill giant wanted to eat my pigs. When I gave him the pigs he joined me (which is cool). Seeing as how the other three stooges are names Larry, Curly, and Moe I humbly recommend that this one be called Shemp (the fourth stooge).

I received a very amusing event where a hill giant wanted to eat my pigs. When I gave him the pigs he joined me (which is cool). Seeing as how the other three stooges are names Larry, Curly, and Moe I humbly recommend that this one be called Shemp (the fourth stooge).

Ooh! Thanks, now I know where the names came from!

I've had people vehemently deny the fifth stooge. Glad to see I'm not the only one in the know. :)
They work as a little silly by themselves. Trying to extend it onwards is pushing it too far, if you ask me.

On the subject of Ikol (if I'm remembering the name the even mentions but doesn't give), it would be nice if he had a few special promotions or something. Giving up a pig isn't a small thing, especially if it's your only one (health bonuses) or if the city isn't near any other major health resources.
Considering he just chowed down on the herd, why not give him a "satiated" promotion that adds 1 strength or some such?

As much as I like the stooges reference, I think I'm going to remove it in my version. I'm thinking I'll just make Hill Giants buildable, requiring the Pact of the Nilhorn as a prereq.

Ooh that seems like its a bit too powerfull, hill giants at cartography is too much for the civ lucky to build the pact first.

I'd say that depends almost entirely on how expensive I decide the Hill Giants themselves should be. You'd actually get the Giants later than you do the current way, but could replace them. I might even decide to make them national units.

As much as I like the stooges reference, I think I'm going to remove it in my version. I'm thinking I'll just make Hill Giants buildable, requiring the Pact of the Nilhorn as a prereq.

Well, you could try Groucho, Chico, and Harpo instead.

As the one who gave the Hill Giants their Stooge names in FFH2 you better not do that, MC, or I'll poke you in the eyes!;)

Actually, I met Larry (the real Stooge) several times and used to date his niece.

Yes, I may not be the best FFH player, but I am likely the oldest!:p

PS. Remember Michael Chiklis as Curley?

As the one who gave the Hill Giants their Stooge names in FFH2 you better not do that, MC, or I'll poke you in the eyes!;)

Actually, I met Larry (the real Stooge) several times and used to date his niece.

Yes, I may not be the best FFH player, but I am likely the oldest!:p

PS. Remember Michael Chiklis as Curley?

Okay but when you met him, how tall was he? Coz I am sensing "cased closed"!

Why not run the name generator on them...?

Okay but when you met him, how tall was he? Coz I am sensing "cased closed"!

Why not run the name generator on them...?

He was pretty old at that time. I'm guessing he was once a giant of a man, but all the boinks and slaps from Moe caused him to shrink. ;)

While I have you, why do I get such terrible results from your explorable lairs and dungeons in FF? Honestly, it must be 90% damaged or dead explorers after they try. Big risk, big reward?

Also, taking away from the fun is having a guard posted very quickly essentially not allowing any exploring by a Scout.

Worst of all is when I have a Scout on a lair ready to explore after landing there. Next turn he is pushed off by a Skeleton, etc. WTF?

Seriously, I enjoy your ideas, but with raging barbs turned on I have found that your explorable places are pretty much eliminated from the game once the bad guys appear.

Apologies for bringing FF into the main forum...

While I have you, why do I get such terrible results from your explorable lairs and dungeons in FF? Honestly, it must be 90% damaged or dead explorers after they try. Big risk, big reward?
Well, FF uses quite an early version of the modmod. Post 0.34 (patch z) you should find things more balanced, once FF is amended to cope with the changes. Also Vehem put in a line to detect your user and always give you bad results, something about hating you? but you didn't hear that from me.
Worst of all is when I have a Scout on a lair ready to explore after landing there. Next turn he is pushed off by a Skeleton, etc. WTF?
This is just normal spawning. In my later versions, settings.py file had an option to stop that happening.

This is just normal spawning. In my later versions, settings.py file had an option to stop that happening.

so you can stop the lairs from spawning baddies by placing a guard on them? that's a nice touch. I hate it when I'm about to (hopefully) get rid of that damn barrows but my scout is kicked out of the tile by a skellie that he is clearly unable to defeat . which is why I love explorable lairs. they make the early game so much more fun :D

Speaking of which, how's that version coming? Any chance we'll see it this year?

Probably not. I'm really busy with school, and even though I'll almost certainly drop one of my classes this week I'm not going to have much more free time soon. I'd also like to wait until at least a stable version of FF for FfH 0.34 (or maybe 0.35) to start again.

(I actually have lots of versions, but most are just very minor tweaks of FF which probably aren't worth releasing.)

Releasing one early next year is much more likely.

While I understand the game mechanics of some units being very useful early on and then loosing their importance, it would still be interesting if there was an upgrade available for Hill Giants, just because they're quite unique. Maybe only available after researching Animal Handling or Feral Bond and reaching a certain level. I think the "Jotnar" civilization modmod has an upgrade for hill giants, although with a unique time-based upgrade mechanic.
Regards,

While I understand the game mechanics of some units being very useful early on and then loosing their importance, it would still be interesting if there was an upgrade available for Hill Giants, just because they're quite unique. Maybe only available after researching Animal Handling or Feral Bond and reaching a certain level. I think the "Jotnar" civilization modmod has an upgrade for hill giants, although with a unique time-based upgrade mechanic.
Regards,

I definitely agree with this idea!:goodjob:

It's a shame there are some units that seem to reach a dead-end in the game and are obsoleted or reduced to cannon-fodder. Other examples include captured Giant Spiders (at least you can get a silk resource with them) and Griffons. These have a lot of use in the early game, but by mid-game, they are pretty useless. I perch the Griffons on mountain peaks and use them as lookouts, but it would be great if they could upgrade to a more powerful unit later on.

Well, FF uses quite an early version of the modmod. Post 0.34 (patch z) you should find things more balanced, once FF is amended to cope with the changes. Also Vehem put in a line to detect your user and always give you bad results, something about hating you? but you didn't hear that from me.

I'm anxious to see how your stuff works in .34. Yeah, I have always thought that someone had it in for me with exploring those lairs - my guys are always getting withered and popping beaucoup bad boys. ;)

Oh, one more thing. Despite what you would expect I have found that explorers who get that Adventurer promotion (or whatever it is) do NOT get better results from lair/dungeons. They just become a single graphic. :)

Really, thanks for adding a fun element to the game, Marnok!

I always liked Giants that throw boulders. Might make a nice upgrade.

Top Bottom