Strange Error

PopeyeTSM

Chieftain
For some reason when a unit is inside a city it creates a weird set of commands and won't let me manually select them. Upon moving the unit out of the city everything is fine. The hotkey commands still work but you can't manually select the options while the unit is in the city. I tried moving the unit out and then back in to the city and same problem.

I remember it being very buggy in that respect when BUG was an external program and not built into your Mod. I was worried more so then because I was afraid other aspects of the game would be altered without my knowledge.

Attached is a picture:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/giantearthmaperror.jpg/

Just FYI, not sure if it has further impact on the game. This is the BTS Modern Resource Allocation.

Well I think I spoke too soon. This new version is giving me a lot of bugs. That problem in the OP is actually worse than I thought. I can't promote when I am inside cities at all because there is no hotkey. So I am forced to move out and promote and move back in, negating my 25% defense bonus. That is not good! Especially in the early-game against Barbarians.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

Also, for some reason now I can't even get the mod to work anymore. It automatically crashes to the desktop after I start and click a settler and then select "Build a City." It wasn't doing that originally. Though I did test it with single player and it doesn't crash...

Question I have is do the options I select at start impact the game? Like do I need to do all the modular tick marks in the customizing screen before loading the game? Does anyone else have problems with certain ones working and others not, regardless of changing things with CTL-ALT-O upon being in the game?

Extra Info for better diagnosing:

Windows Vista, digital Amazon download.
Giant Earth Map in BTS hard-drive Mods folder and/or in BTS My Games Mods Folder (i've tried both)
Marble Graphics update; letterheads update
And of course the latest BTS version 3.1.9 and GEM 6.4
Game Attempted: Multiplayer Hotseat, 2-players, Marathon, all options default

Well I think I spoke too soon. This new version is giving me a lot of bugs. That problem in the OP is actually worse than I thought. I can't promote when I am inside cities at all because there is no hotkey. So I am forced to move out and promote and move back in, negating my 25% defense bonus. That is not good! Especially in the early-game against Barbarians.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

Also, for some reason now I can't even get the mod to work anymore. It automatically crashes to the desktop after I start and click a settler and then select "Build a City." It wasn't doing that originally. Though I did test it with single player and it doesn't crash...

Question I have is do the options I select at start impact the game? Like do I need to do all the modular tick marks in the customizing screen before loading the game? Does anyone else have problems with certain ones working and others not, regardless of changing things with CTL-ALT-O upon being in the game?

Extra Info for better diagnosing:

Windows Vista, digital Amazon download.
Giant Earth Map in BTS hard-drive Mods folder and/or in BTS My Games Mods Folder (i've tried both)
Marble Graphics update; letterheads update
And of course the latest BTS version 3.1.9 and GEM 6.4
Game Attempted: Multiplayer Hotseat, 2-players, Marathon, all options default

Thanks for reporting. Sounds like your problems are for multiplayers only, am I correct?

Ever since I decided to include BUG and DCM in GEM, I soon realized that I know too little to be able to handle any technical problems. I am so sorry.

I can only share with you my experience here. I have no problems playing hotseat games as I always use it to test play the scenarios. I also do some changes in CLT-ALT-O but not very frequent. I suspect some of the features in there are not compatible, especially if you turn on revolution.

May be you can report what BUG features you have turn on and off so I can compare mine with yours?

Yes, it would be exclusive to Hot-seat Multiplayer, which is the only way I really care to play Civilization.

Well the bug features I use via Ctr-Alt-O are never changed before it crashes. So we can assume the settings are the same for both of us. Unless of course you immediately change some of them and then start playing, and the only way to test that would be for you to start a game and then immediately build a city before messing with Ctr-Alt-O changes.

I doubt that is the problem. So it is likely the initial setup options. Also, do you have the same add-ons? The letterheads and the marble? Maybe the conflict is there?

I have tried leaving ALL setup options default upon starting, and it still crashes. So if the problem lies there and not the "Bug"options" and the Add-ons, then its some option that you choose that I am not. Another reason it would be that is because single player is fine and the only difference are those options. Are there particular options you always choose upon starting a hot-seat test yourself?

I'll list off the setup options I usually use and maybe one of those you recall being an issue in the past:

* All players AI except 2x players

* Change difficulty level of 2x players to Prince

* Marathon game speed

* Complete player kills

* Raging barbarians

* I usually turn off Time victory

* No Technology Brokering

* Revolution Mod / Barbarian Mod / Tech Mod / Dynamic Mod

Are there any of those I should NOT be selecting?

And here is another interesting picture of a test game, and that was on turn one!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/exampleig.jpg/

Yes, it would be exclusive to Hot-seat Multiplayer, which is the only way I really care to play Civilization.

Well the bug features I use via Ctr-Alt-O are never changed before it crashes. So we can assume the settings are the same for both of us. Unless of course you immediately change some of them and then start playing, and the only way to test that would be for you to start a game and then immediately build a city before messing with Ctr-Alt-O changes.

I doubt that is the problem. So it is likely the initial setup options. Also, do you have the same add-ons? The letterheads and the marble? Maybe the conflict is there?

I have tried leaving ALL setup options default upon starting, and it still crashes. So if the problem lies there and not the "Bug"options" and the Add-ons, then its some option that you choose that I am not. Another reason it would be that is because single player is fine and the only difference are those options. Are there particular options you always choose upon starting a hot-seat test yourself?

I'll list off the setup options I usually use and maybe one of those you recall being an issue in the past:

* All players AI except 2x players

* Change difficulty level of 2x players to Prince

* Marathon game speed

* Complete player kills

* Raging barbarians

* I usually turn off Time victory

* No Technology Brokering

* Revolution Mod / Barbarian Mod / Tech Mod / Dynamic Mod

Are there any of those I should NOT be selecting?

And here is another interesting picture of a test game, and that was on turn one!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/exampleig.jpg/

I have leaderheads add-on and blue marble installed. I don't think it is those original game settings in hotseat causing the problem as I really have tried so many different combinations when I do play test.

Try switch off Revolution and Barbarian Mod. I never have them switch on. (Btw, the settings you get from the GEM version I've uploaded "might" be different to the ones I used for development.)

If you have time to dignose the problem, I would suggest turning off all the RevDCM features to see if there are still any problem. Then add features one by one to find out which is the one causing the problem.

Okay, so I tried turning off every single option in the CTRL-ALT-O menu. I have zero options selected now. I started a fresh Hotseat game, left all human players and didn't touch a single option in the creation menu. Everything was default as-is. I started a game and the minute I created a city with America (the first turn) it crashed to the desktop.

Any ideas now? Perhaps it has something to do with your newest version? Have you tried the above before and had it work fine? I even re-downloaded the map again and it did the same thing.

I do recall having the selection error on the "action menu" a long time ago when you didn't have BUG part of your default MOD and I tried to use it. But now this is much worse...I can't even play. Anyone else having a similar problem?

Genghis,

So no luck on getting it to work so far. I have been playing single player with two players controlling the same country since, which is still fun. But not as fun as actually having different countries.

So I tried another test and this time I did the exact same setup as what I had in my single player game. In other words, it was a hotseat game with one player and the same options selected. It still crashes immediately on start-up. It would appear to be something unique with Hotseat interacting with your Mod.

You stated it works fine for you, with your current version? I used to play it all the time Hotseat and it never gave me any issues...

Hopefully that may narrow down the problem.

Anyone else out there having this problem at all?

Genghis,

So no luck on getting it to work so far. I have been playing single player with two players controlling the same country since, which is still fun. But not as fun as actually having different countries.

So I tried another test and this time I did the exact same setup as what I had in my single player game. In other words, it was a hotseat game with one player and the same options selected. It still crashes immediately on start-up. It would appear to be something unique with Hotseat interacting with your Mod.

You stated it works fine for you, with your current version? I used to play it all the time Hotseat and it never gave me any issues...

Hopefully that may narrow down the problem.

Anyone else out there having this problem at all?

I almost always play hotseat with the latest version and I have no problem at all. Indeed I do have a small problem. The RevDCM settings always seems to be resetting itself from time to time. But no crash or anything serious happened to me before.

Have you tried PBEM and still get the same problem?

I don't even bother with the RevDCM given how buggy it can be.

I just tried PBEM and it still doesn't work. So its got to be something clashing with the MP engine. Any ideas? Is there a place I can grab a log and show you whats happening?

I also looked at earlier posts in the main thread having to do with RevDCM multiplayer issues. Perhaps its because you didn't merge the most recent version which appears to be fully compatible with MP. Though I don't quite understand why it seems to work for you fine.

I don't even bother with the RevDCM given how buggy it can be.

I just tried PBEM and it still doesn't work. So its got to be something clashing with the MP engine. Any ideas? Is there a place I can grab a log and show you whats happening?

I also looked at earlier posts in the main thread having to do with RevDCM multiplayer issues. Perhaps its because you didn't merge the most recent version which appears to be fully compatible with MP. Though I don't quite understand why it seems to work for you fine.

Yes, upgrading to the latest version of RevDCM would be a good thing to do as suggested by somebody in this forum. However, I've forgotten how to do the merging already so I couldn't upgrade the latest GEM release with the latest RevDCM :crazyeye:

Okay, so it sounds like I am out of luck then. For final clarification, to update the RevDCM would mean the complicated merging into Version 6.4 like you would need to do? Its not a simple install and then play with the updated RevDCM that I could do without learning some new tricks?

Thanks for the responses.

Okay, so it sounds like I am out of luck then. For final clarification, to update the RevDCM would mean the complicated merging into Version 6.4 like you would need to do? Its not a simple install and then play with the updated RevDCM that I could do without learning some new tricks?

Thanks for the responses.

Yes. It is not a simple install. There are lots of files that both RevDCM and GEM modified that I had to manually cut and paste prats by parts. I tried doing that for a few hours one night and I couldn't get anything but crash. So I gave up.

Top Bottom