1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Runtime Error

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by Praetyre, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Praetyre

Praetyre King

Whenever I run RoM with 8 players, large map and all default module settings for A New Dawn plus Unlimited Wonders on Earth2, the game crashes to desktop about a quarter of the way to loading up the game, saying that the runtime had asked the system to terminate it in an unusual way. It seems removing 15 leaders solved the problem, and adding them back brought it back, and none are one's not already found in the Leader Addon Pack. I have 35 leaders with the 15, and 20 without. My stats are enclosed, and nor RAM nor CPU seem to be at the root of the problem according to my Windows Task Manager records.

Attached Files:

2. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

IMHO the Leader addon pack hates you

3. Praetyre

Praetyre King

Could be, but 16 out of 20 of the leaders minus the 15 I removed and readded were Leader Addon Pack leaders. Though, all of the ones I removed and readded were also LAP leaders. Hmm.

Could this be related to my video memory?

4. Praetyre

Praetyre King

Upon further investigation, it seems to be related to the amount of overall content (since removing some custom civs and leaderheads helped). However, RAM doesn't peak out, and I doubt CPU is the problem. Any other ideas on what might be affecting my system performance?

5. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Video RAM probably get's maxed out. I can't name any software that tracks that offhand...

6. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

I found that BtS debug screen has option to show video RAM amount. Though on my computer it showed -250MB at the game start which probably means that it went over the 3GB limit and BtS can't show the real amount... my comp has radeon 4890 1GB and Nvidia 9600 (or something) 256MB cards and aperture size is 4GBs (I got 8GB of system RAM with 64bit Win7). Aperture size can be seen with 3D Marks program (and other spec details too).

Anyway, you need to enable cheat mode and enter the debug screen in game (ctrl+d I think) and there's whole lot of different sub pages for various debug options.. though I couldn't get the game show any stats anywhere, not on screen or in log files. Wireframe and plot system testing modes were kinda fun :) Also noticed that unit animations can be tested also with ctrl+u.

7. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

If you use debug mode you can put the unit animations in slow motion.

8. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

the Civ Debug controls combined with a debug dll allows for some interesting things. You can turn profiling on and see the exact calculation times for specific functions. That's how I measure mod speeds.

9. Xoatl_169

Xoatl_169 Warlord

I removed Richelieu, cause he looks like a harlequin baby... no offense to the creator but that leader scares me.... btw if i remove leader heads from custom civs, and civs/leaderheads of normal BTS would that improve performance (as in start up my game?)

10. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Yes, it will improve performance. You could use also Static Leaderheads which turns BtS leaders to static pictures. The module is located in 'Rise of Mankind\Assets\Unloaded Modules\' folder.

11. Xoatl_169

Xoatl_169 Warlord

ohhhhh.... okay im gonna do that :) ty

12. Xoatl_169

Xoatl_169 Warlord

ohhhhh.... okay im gonna do that :) ty

13. Dreifels

Dreifels King

14. Dreifels

Dreifels King

15. Dreifels

Dreifels King

that does not work for me. It gives a run time error when loading a .sav

16. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I am fairly sure that such a change is not save game compatible.