Strategic Industry -  Gathering Storm

Strategic Industry - Gathering Storm 2019-02-24

UncivilizedGuy

The Village Idiot
UncivilizedGuy submitted a new resource:

Strategic Industry - Gathering Storm - The goal of this mod is to make unit production more realistic.

The goal of this mod is to add a greater sense of realism to unit production. Finally in Gathering Storm multiple resources can be utilized by units.

Features

• Copper is now a strategic resource. It's used for Bronze Age units, cannons, and modern ammo.
  • Nearly all units including uniques have strategic resource requirements and many require more than one resource. Example: Knight costs 20 Iron and consumes 1 Horses per turn.
  • All land units beginning in the Modern era...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
This looks really interesting. I'm going to try it in the next game, particularly with a civ I usually play warlike. I've been thinking how a mod like this could really alter how we play and strategize. You not only need to have enough resources to build an armed force, but also to maintain it. The only thing missing is to charge off resources for repairs of damaged units. I could see a much more realistic modern era war being played out using variations of such a mechanism, with one goal being to starve the enemy of the resources to fight, much as was done in the strategic bombing offensives in Europe and Japan. Of course, you should be able to bomb resources like mines and wells to do this, like you do by pillaging them with ground units. Kudos for the mod and keep up the good work!

I am unable to improve the copper resource. I have builder within the city's borders with copper icon on the tile, yet, the builder does not know how to improve. Can harvest only. Am I missing something? I bought the builder with faith but that shouldn't change anything.

If a resource is on a forest or jungle tile you need to chop first. If that isn’t your issue then it might be a mod conflict. All I did was re-define copper as strategic. It should have no effect on your builder

It might be necessary to alter the harvestability of Copper, It's still being treated like a bonus resources in several ways. Namely it's removed upon building a district over the tile. I'm copper starved in my current game thanks to this, having built districts over my copper resources with the assuption it would supply access.

Other issue I've run into is the new locations for Iron. It's causing some builder issues, like being unable to build a Lumber Mill improvement on a woods tile with Iron.

Some of the other new resources might also run into similar problems.

Very interesting mod.

Is it compatible with "Steel and Thunder: Unit Expansion 1.83" ?

Thanks

If a resource is on a forest or jungle tile you need to chop first. If that isn’t your issue then it might be a mod conflict. All I did was re-define copper as strategic. It should have no effect on your builder
Indeed it was the case that there were forests on the tile. I wonder if AI is wise enough to remove forests in order to gather the resource. If not, the AI is seriously restrained to compete in the world stage.

Indeed it was the case that there were forests on the tile. I wonder if AI is wise enough to remove forests in order to gather the resource. If not, the AI is seriously restrained to compete in the world stage.
My R&F version allowed Mines to be constructed without removing Forests for this reason. Sometimes my pursuit for realism distracts me from gameplay logic. I’ll put that back in next update.

Yes I do plan on making this compatible with S&T next update.

Thank you very much for this mod! That's the great idea. Actually thinking myself: why the developers didn't implemented the full potential of resource dependencies? I'll be waiting the next update to properly test this. I'm interested. We need update for MoarUniqueUnits-1.43

My R&F version allowed Mines to be constructed without removing Forests for this reason. Sometimes my pursuit for realism distracts me from gameplay logic. I’ll put that back in next update.

I'm really like the idea of your mod, UncivilizedGuy. It plays nice but in the late stages of the game after more than 150+ turns I began to experience some strange lags with my workers. They responded to me slower and slower...the game got mini freezes... I suspect your mod because it's the only mod which i use that affect to builders and mines. Please check this...I screwed up two potentially good partyes because of that issue... that's serious...

I need to apologize. In previous my posts I wrote that Strategic Industry had negative affect on workers perfomance. Turns out is that another mod is responsible for this issue... And i don't know which one exactly. I need to find the problem. The problem is when game turns in Renaissance and later eras workers become sluggish in responce when I choose them... Other units works fine.

I think you have a great mod. There are a couple of things I disagree with:

1) Do not be too hard to limit the caravel (shipyard). Frigates can be.
2) I do not think that it is worthwhile to let units absorb two units of a resource per turn (Niter), as with your system of resources there are really not enough resources.

Wishes:
1) Make your mod compatible with Warfare Expanded Complete Edition (By Wolfdog)
2) Make your mod compatible with Moar Unique Units (By Deliverator)
It would be beautiful if units from that mods obtain logical resource cost maintenance.

Very nice mod! Thumbs up for making it compatible with other mods.

However i have a question about the effect on units that consume resources. I had a situation, where i obtained an ironclad with a scientist, but i had not obtained coal, and i could still use the unit?!

What is the effect when a unit does not meet the requirements for upkeep?

Thanks!

Top Bottom