Strategic Resources

cef71

Chieftain
In Civ3, how often do these (oil, etc.) appear? is it random? i am having bad luck with ever having the resources i need. also is there a way to set "high resources"...meaning alot of resources will appear at the begining?
thanks

Originally posted by cef71
In Civ3, how often do these (oil, etc.) appear? is it random? i am having bad luck with ever having the resources i need. also is there a way to set "high resources"...meaning alot of resources will appear at the begining?
thanks

Yup. You can edit the values if you want. Honestly though, I consider that part of the challenge of the game.

I would assume you are aware of this, but just in case you're not (your "resources appear at the beginning" bit kinda got me thinking): You will only see a resource appear on the map when you have researched the tech that uses that resource. So you will never see any oil on the map at the beginning of the game.

It's important to note that those resources are pregenerated on the map from the beginning of the game. You just cant see them (unless you use some sort of map editor on your game). They aren't generated as the game progresses. They're there all along, youre civilization just doesn't realize they're valuable until you have a tech that needs them.

When a resource is depleted, the game will at that point randomly make a new source appear somewhere else. This is the only generation of resources that occurs during game play.

So, if there are 4 oils on the size of map you are playing, there will *always* be 4 oils during that whole game. Each game may be different, but once a game is started, the number of each particular resource is set. I would assume this is based on the age and temp settings you start the game on (and size of course) with some random chance thrown in.

I find that scarcity of resources makes a game much more interesting. Also, remember that it goes both ways. If you edit your game to have plenty of strategic resources because you hate playing a game where you can't find iron, the AI opponents are going to have plenty as well. Sometimes, key strategies can be based on the capture/control of important resources. Making them abundant in your game removes an entire facet of the game IMO.

In the end though, it's your game and your fun. Do what you want. That's what the editor is for...

Wakboth is quite right, the resources make the game more interesting and more realistic. For example, if every country had all of the resources they needed, wars would decrease and so would any trade.

From what Wakboth has said, it can be advantageous to know where resources are likely to appear when the tech has been discovered.
In my past few games I've deliberately attacked and taken several desert cities to increase the chance that oil will appear within my borders (oil appears in desert and tundra I think).
I have also attacked my neighbour when he had qute a bit of hills and jungle and I was living mostly on plains. This was to increase my chance of getting coal later on.
It's an exploit but nothing that the AI wouldn't contemplate.

Originally posted by Parmenion
It's an exploit but nothing that the AI wouldn't contemplate.
The AI knows where every resource is at the beginning of every game. You can use this to your advantage because you know that the desert town founded in 2500BC a million miles away from their capital contains oil or saltpeter.

Sometimes, but sometimes it's the horrible land grab at all costs programmed into the AI where they are compelled to settle every bit of land no matter how tiny, no matter if it's in the middle of your empire, etc.

I'm diverging a little from the original question - my game is usually pretty aggressive, so if I make it as far as oil, I'll have it, if you see what I mean...

... But one resource I haven't found a way round is horses. If I haven't got horses by the middle ages, I should give up, it seems to me... swordsmen and longbows are just fodder for the horses.

I'm playing Japanese atm, and I haven't got horses, but if I can't (agressively) get them with my Samurai before cavalry come into play, then I'm doing something wrong... However, with most other nations: No Horses = No Game ????

Like cef71, I'm playing regent; just on the cusp of monarch, but can't quite get there...

However, with most other nations: No Horses = No Game ????

No Horses = No Game? Are you crazy? No Horses = more of a challenge. Just because you don't have the heavy hitting offense doesn't mean you should through in the towel. Ever heard of the phrase, "The best offense is a good defense"?

If you can't get your hands on horses then build more Pikemen, Musketmen or Riflemen or whatever tech level you're at.

I have survived a massive onslaught from a superior enemy by having my defenses built up.

Resourcses are meant to be scarce - that is what make them strategic.

Top Bottom