Strategy discussion

well looks like this thread and maybe this mod is dead, but here is a little strat for anyone still looking. Build on location, grow to size 3 or 4, produce a settler asap, get him to the coastal crossing just south of Liu Zhang, build nothing but halbs with the 2x jungle movement promotion, to get them up to his land quickly. open borders, and wait for an opportune moment during his war with Zhang Lu. I got a little lucky, and Zhang had founded pure force in the first city I grabbed. Had to immediately sign a peace treaty, even one more turn would have meant his retaliation had suceeded. From there, build another 15-20 halbs to finish off LZ, ZL, punch a hole through Li Jue to get through to the emperor, unless he will OB with you, and from there it's fix economy to get to Rattan Armor swordsmen, IMO the best unit in the game if you get there early. Great thing about the Pure Force shrine, it gives 2ep per city. This meant I had almost no use for cats or xbows, as my spies would cause city revolt, maybe burn a few swords on the way in, then the heroes hit, and immediately move forward, with march and a super medic, this led to one of the most fun games of civ I've ever played. Anyone interested in a 1st century Chinese blitzkrieg would love this.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 248
  • Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 317
Nice game, although probably won't work with normal speed (since you can't build halbs quick enough AND get them to Chengdu with all that jungle).

but here it is. Same strat as before, actually a little easier this time because Li Jue OB'd!:D So no war with him or Yang Feng, just waltz in and take the emperor from an already wounded rogue without a single loss. Ran immediately to Liu Bao, but the swift bowmen were already in place. Switch strats to builder for a long time, no units or war until general medicine, then the mighty rattan army began rolling. the combo of ep's and fast infantry worked like a charm again, I was already generating 250 ep's per turn against Bao, and it was up to 700+ by the time I took on Yuan Shao for the last 5%. Could've won it earlier filling in the south and picking off easier opponents, but Liu Bei and Yuan Shao were both way ahead in tech, so I went straight into the shark's mouth. As you can see I probably overbuilt on the swords, but a strategy of "wave after wave of my own men" had already been decided upon. Still one of my all-time favorite civ situations, and, after looking at the top 5 cities, begs the question of who the real barbarians are.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0028.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0028.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 328
  • Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 445
  • Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 226
  • Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 222
Is it even worth it to get the unit upgrade promotion? (D-C-B-A-S) They offer minimal upgrade (10%str ->15%str) , they don't stack with previous upgrades ( C melee will only get +15%str, NOT 10% + 15% = 25% str). Almost any legion promo (green ones) are better because of bigger stat and cumulative nature (Atk II unit gets Atk I + Atk II bonuses). That's why I never do the unit control promo. What do you guys think?

I suspect this is a bug. It could be a balance issue too.. but I recall those promotions being much higher in prior versions that did in fact stack - it was pretty broken.

Now though.. I'm on board with the idea that I won't bother choosing these unless there isn't anything else.

Top Bottom