Strategy for Cultural victory on Deity with civilizations with no cultural bonuses

Actually, Resorts give (or at least should) tourism equal to double the tile appeal. So, you can double it again for 920 tourism.

You can plant woods in places where you won't build any districts. Additionally, if you build a Lumber Mill in those, you get the same amount of production as a Mine after researching Steel, with the added appeal. Of course, if you want a fast victory, the additional Builders needed might not pay off, but it seems you aren't playing for speed.

So each tile onthe map begins before terrain with a charming value of 0
The sea has all appeal removed
Each side of a tile nex bordering on one of the following gets the value

+2 Natural Wonder
+1 per river/coast/mountain/oasis/trees/wonder/holy site/Ent. distict/Theatre district/
-1 per rainforest/marsh/floodplain
-2 per mine (must be a bug, should be -1)
(A few others bit thats most)

So you have 15 charming or average... what is stopping them? marsh and rainforest?... chop it down
The Eiffel Tower adds +2 appeal to all your tiles
Some GR add +1 to a cities tiles
American cities with national parks get +1 appeal to all tiles

Feel free to wait until you get near computers, when you do not need mines anymore then remove the ones near the beach and for each builder hit you get a seaside resort.

If the tile is +5 .... it will be worth 10 Tourism , 20 tourism with Cristo. 40 with computers . 23x40 is 920 tourism (1840 as America)... but of you get eiffel your average is unlikely to be 5. Also you do not have to plant trees everywhere but it is late game and every tree you plant is more powerful than a mine. Replace a mine with a tree and you are in essence +3
Edit : I added the double for seasides I forgot about

####

It does not matter if you win let alone how long it takes, as long as you are havin fun. But you know this.

She says: This breakdown of appeal is very helpful! THANKS!!!

In the game if you call up help and do a search on resort and appeal they have the info, probably not well described but fast in game.bGlad to help and my spues sre getting getter promos thanks to her... There was a rumour going around you had to do defensive missions to get offensive promos and it just stuck in my head.
What goes around comes around.

I just tried with Australia and failed on Deity. I did try to use the resorts strategy and I had a lot of them, but I don't like having to rely on wonders for a strategy particularly on Deity. I was able to build the Eiffel tower but did not get Christo Redentor. I ended up losing by one single turn to China but I had to try and switch to space race at the end because I could tell I wasn't going to overcome the tourist barrier in time (I only got about half way there). Kongo grabbed up almost all of the early great people which made things difficult and I still struggle with limiting the tourism of other nations. I did capture almost all of Kongo and grab a lot of their great works but then the other players started snowballing too. I've had a lot of success with the Reliquaries strategy and I prefer that because you have more time to adjust if something goes wrong but I've never tried it on Deity because it seems like a huge gamble to go for religion on that level.

Is there a particular tourism threshold that you aim to limit other civs from reaching? How do you go about doing that - do you just conquer them or do I just have to build up more culture early? I had to get well over 400 in that game and it was just too much to overcome. Gorgo was also in the game so in retrospect I probably should have just gone all out space race from the beginning. My game was sloppy though - I was too much of a warmonger early and almost everyone denounced me (force of habit).

Aaaah, I did not say resorts were easy... Not at all. And you did well on your first attempt.

Sloppy on deity slows victory, lots of sloppiness loses the game, it is deity. The advice at the beginning of this post is quite relevant, spies, stealing etc. The TSL map has Brazil amd Kongo in remote positions like Oz and they both powerhouse culture which slows you up. After many many games I deginately think the best defence us offence, get the tourism pumping fast, borders open, trade routes maxxed, cards right.

The key to pure resorts is ignore culture and become a real science geek and beeline eiffel first while snapping up the good coast....indonesia has some lovely appeal tiles, shave those sheep off new zealand.... Then push resorts, computers and with enough trade routes you are fine. Cristo helps but is not vital and if you cannot get it fast enough do not push culture. Also pure resorts needs only great scientists and none are necessary, engineers on the other hand are awesome for a beachhead

Not sure which number you are asking for but 1000 tourism is a good figure to aim for, you may not make it but 800 will normally be fine, the more the merrier.

I lost my religion months ago.

Passive agressive play is more sneaky and fun, same result, more entertaining and suits beach play due to science push.

Last edited:
@Victoria - thanks. I did surpass 1,000 total tourism but it wasn't until after 1700. But no I was referring to the actual number of tourists needed to win on the cultural victory screen: There I had about 250/470 or something like that. I was asking how to limit or reduce the upper number - I still don't fully understand how to do that though I know it has something to do with the cumulative total culture of other nations. I'm sure you explained it in more detail in your guide (which is very thorough btw) but I haven't had enough time to read it all and I generally learn best by having a basic concept down and then doing some trial and error testing.

Otherwise I played pretty similarly to the above except I probably went a little overboard on theatre districts. I had a great start in this game and was about +150 science per turn over China but somehow they managed to keep pace on technology and they had like 7 spaceports so I couldn't sabotage everything. I even made sure to trigger consecutive 20 turn production sprees by liberating city states and they still beat me to the last part. I also conquered a bunch of opponent cities (though China was quite far away and I was allied with them for most of the game so I left them alone assuming I could beat them) but it didn't really do much to get the upper tourism number down. I had plenty of coastal tiles for resorts but maybe I just started them up too late and failed to ramp up the tourism enough early via trade (I forgot about open borders and had large warmongering penalties). I was suzerain of Carthage and Nan Modal (or whatever their name is) for most of the game so plenty of trade routes going.

The 470 or higher number is the single AI civ with the highest domestic tourism.
The only way to reduce this is by pushing up your foreign tourism and targeting that player with open borders and a trade route while trying to stop them producing so much culture which is only really possible via stealing works, raising theatres,destroying a high culture civ of theirs, especially Kumasi or suong for peace with lots of culture stuff.

Remember each 1200 (# civ dependent) you target at them reduces their domestic tourism by 1.... When they are pumping 400-500 culture per turn it is very hard to beat them

The 470 or higher number is the single AI civ with the highest domestic tourism.
The only way to reduce this is by pushing up your foreign tourism and targeting that player with open borders and a trade route while trying to stop them producing so much culture which is only really possible via stealing works, raising theatres,destroying a high culture civ of theirs, especially Kumasi or suong for peace with lots of culture stuff.

Remember each 1200 (# civ dependent) you target at them reduces their domestic tourism by 1.... When they are pumping 400-500 culture per turn it is very hard to beat them

Gotcha - that's what I thought. I guess I just need to practice some more and make sure to pay a little more attention to who is ramping up in culture early and taking action against them ASAP. I did that with Kongo but not everyone else. I'll have to reload the game and check the culture stats.

Top Bottom