1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Straw Poll - why don't you always play Sid level?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Buttercup, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Hmm, I thought the number of barbarians that spawned in a barbarian uprising depended on the selected barbarian activity level. 8 on Roaming, 16 on Restless, 24 on Raging. But I haven't looked at this scientifically.

You're right, and no Standard victories, either. An easy way to get a #1 spot in the Hall of Fame! Well, maybe not. I think it's probably because if someone wants on the HOF for Sid Histographic, Tiny or Small is easier and much quicker, whereas the milkruns go for Huge. Although there haven't been that many Huge, either. Maybe because Moonsinger's 88,000 seemed so impossible to reach for so long, maybe because it's just really tough to win on Sid on big maps.

2. zerksees

zerksees in remission

When I started playing this game 11+ years ago my goal was to beat the game. I barely beat chieftain the first time but each successive level got easier up to emperor where I lost to the AI. After a little more research and strategy I went on to beat the game at all levels.

I however am not that efficient (time spent) so while I can beat the game on Sid the amount of time required to do so moves the effort from fun to work. If I did not have teenagers and a full time job I suspect I could find time to play Sid though my first priority would be to move up in the CivFanatics HOF.

3. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Because I regularly let my cities fall into disorder.

I'm just not paying enough attention these days. Maybe I should try, though? I used to play on Demigod with intense focus but half-focused I do better on Emperor today than I did while concentrating back then. So I guess if I had a few cups of coffee I could beat Deity and after re-reading strategies could pull off Sid. Maybe.

But I'd rather play Civ4 or Civ5, or continue on Emperor.

My most fun games were on Regent and Monarch back in the day.