Stupid AI tricks

zxcvbob

Emperor
I'm playing one of the old G&K games of the month; the one where you play Attila for a culture victory.

The AI's keep declaring war on me when they can't possibly win. Early in the game, Spain and Egypt DoW'd me at the same time, which was actually kind of convenient because I was planning out my attack on Egypt. Spain was the stronger of the two, and Egypt should have known better. I totally destroyed the Spanish military as they threw themselves at my fortified capital (leveling-up my horse archers) and I was about to start attacking her cities and she offered me all her GPT and gold and luxes. Her cities weren't all that great, so I took the deal and conquered Egypt.

Later in the game, Spain and England DoW'd me. They hate each other, but obviously they hate me more. I beat them back, captured and razed one Spanish city, and made peace with Isabella again until I had a better counter for her conquistadors. I took all her gold, all her GPT and all her luxuries. England wanted peace at this point, but I refused. I razed most of her cities, captured London, and then took all her remaining cities in peace treaty (and razed them) leaving her one city with almost no land and few resources -- still alive but no way to recover. (then I DoW'd Spain and eliminated them)

Fast forward about 100 turns. England's entire military is 2 longbows, a musket, and a couple of caravels and triremes she has out exploring. She and Hiawatha DoW me. Hiawatha is about 2 techs ahead of me (and they are good ones; flight and electronics) and his military is (was) slightly stronger than mine, but his units are on the other continent. And I have submarines. Elizabeth is dead now, and this isn't going to turn out well for Hiawatha either.

At some point, I fully expect my good friends and allies America and Arabia to backstab me.

ETA: Hiawatha eventually paid me over 100 GPT for peace after I razed 4 of his small cities and destroyed his entire navy and severely damaged his army and air force. He got off cheap. Arabia and America never did declare war on me, they and Hiawatha were busy fighting among themselves

Having the AI's team up to DoW on you is common for me. They don't seem to care how much bigger my army is or how badly it will turn out for them they still do it. It is when just a single AI says "F it I want my capital back no matter the cost" that surprises me. Has only happened a few times but I love the idea of it just wished it would happen more.

I'm pretty sure they compare army score and the AI loves to spam units. Most of them just roam around aimlessly so you end up fighting maybe 50% of their army when they attack you, and maybe 50% of that 50% actually ever makes it near a city or into a position to do anything.

So that's why I believe they keep declaring these insane wars that go nowhere.

Sometimes the AI reaches a point where they realize they will never win, so they just declare war and never offer peace. And no matter how bad they're beaten they won't surrender. It's rare, but this happened to me as Russia once. Indonesia started nuking me. I was quite surprised.

Top Bottom