Stupidest 90s hit songs (and also some good ones)

Juke Joint Jezebel KMFDM.

Spent entire teenage years in the 90's. Just realized that's a very narrow window gotta be born in 3 years to do that.

I like that the ceiling of his house is 20 metres high ^_^

I don't think such amazingly creepy video can be made being sober.

I don't think such amazingly creepy video can be made being sober.

The same artist made a lot of other known claymation music-videos, I think it's also his work in the Alice in Chains one posted in the previous page. (he also created the Green Jelly one)

Reminds me of an excellent short story by Maurice Level, about a person who just wanted to see people die.

Last edited:
If we're onto good '90s music, I have to organize my thoughts, 'cause there's just too much. Since the seal has been broken on grunge, I'll start with that. That's also where the decade started, for me, so that's convenient.

Alice in Chains - Facelift (1990) - "Man in the Box"

This song is one of those "I remember where I was when..." moments in my life, when I was kind of aware that everything had just changed. I think I literally said "Whoa, what is this?"

But if I were asked to give a grunge neophyte a 'starter album', it would have to be,

Pearl Jam - Ten (1991) - "Once"

They were also one of the best live shows I've seen, fwiw. Wikipedia says they're still touring. They might still be a good show, if you've never seen them.

Some other grunge highlights (not a comprehensive list - believe it or not, I'm trying to be brief :lol: ):

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger (1991) - "Jesus Christ Pose"
Spoiler :
Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog (1991) - "Pushin' Forward Back"
Spoiler :
The Melvins - Stoner Witch (1994) - "Revolve"
Spoiler :
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley (1994) - "Gardenia"

I like that the ceiling of his house is 20 metres high ^_^
The live performance of this from Reading 1993 is remarkable. Keenan was on perfect form. I hope everyone who was there was paying attention.

p.s. This song must absolutely be on any "essential grunge" playlist. One of the defining songs of the genre. :yup:

The 2010s had great music and objectively better music than the 2000s.

Agree with anything you said except this one. We got Incubus, Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, Muse, Radiohead also has so many good album in 2000s, Placebo, Perfect Circle, System of Down, etc.

And great filler also like Keane, Casabian, Jet, etc.

And nope, I'm not mentioning Korn, Limb Bizkit or Kid-rock. I liked Korn, but it's mostly just the teenage part of me. But compare all of that with 90s, 90s still come up better, no not better, way better.

Agree with anything you said except this one. We got Incubus, Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, Muse, Radiohead also has so many good album in 2000s, Placebo, Perfect Circle, System of Down, etc.

And great filler also like Keane, Casabian, Jet, etc.

And nope, I'm not mentioning Korn, Limb Bizkit or Kid-rock. I liked Korn, but it's mostly just the teenage part of me. But compare all of that with 90s, 90s still come up better, no not better, way better.

Both suck compared to late 70/early 80s. Totally (un)objective statement.

I always hated this, and anything else by this band - iirc it was a huge hit in my final year in highschool:

No Doubt never made a huge impression on me, one way or the other, but I like their cover of "It's My Life."

Spoiler :
Also, Tatiana from Jinjer is a big fan of No Doubt, and you can see the influence in some of their music and videos. I first noticed it in "Cloud Factory." I would die to see Gwen Stefani and Tatiana do something together.

Spoiler :
Talk Talk -> No Doubt -> Jinjer. Makes perfect sense, don't it? :goodjob:

Mr. Jones and Me needs to burn in Hell for eternity... In Civ, I love Nuclear Genocide, but in real life, the only thing that would push me to that is Mr. Jones and Me. :p

From 1999:

Too bad it was their only decent song (imo).

The singer always wore tons of make-up. Later on not so much:

Mansons last album was good. A few of his good songs aren't singles.

More Early Alice in Chains.

Last edited:
Mr. Jones and Me needs to burn in Hell for eternity... In Civ, I love Nuclear Genocide, but in real life, the only thing that would push me to that is Mr. Jones and Me. :p

I went and listened to that one because Birdjag mentioned Counting Crows, a band I don't know. First impression is that I liked the melody on the chorus. The overall song was pretty structureless. He seemed to be flailing all over the place on the verses, I couldn't tell what the next note was going to be based on the previous note. That's not necessarily a bad thing for a rock song. I'm surprised though because Wikipedia says it was their breakthrough single. It's difficult to imagine a bunch of people who (like me) didn't know Counting Crows getting hooked on them off the back of that difficult-to-remember, difficult-to-sing-along-to single!

Also if you know the guy that well why are you calling him Mr. Jones? You must be on first name terms by now surely.

Overall "Me and Mrs Jones" > "Mr Jones and Me" (spoiled because it's from the seventies and doesn't count for this thread)

Spoiler :

Top Bottom