Stupidest 90s hit songs (and also some good ones)

The Space Channel used to play this video (minus the subtitles) as a filler, back when The Crow: Stairway to Heaven was on TV. Of course they showed the movie before the series premiered, so the viewers could see what the show was based on.

I remember some cable station (I don't remember which) doing this with both movie and series of Buffy: the Vampire Slayer and Stargate (and it's SG-1 series), even though the original movies and the start of their respective series were several years apart, each.

I remember some cable station (I don't remember which) doing this with both movie and series of Buffy: the Vampire Slayer and Stargate (and it's SG-1 series), even though the original movies and the start of their respective series were several years apart, each.
It would have been the Space Channel (currently known as CTV sci-fi, or whatever revolting name they picked).

And we all know what KMFDM stands for, right? :mischief:

Oh look, another bad Depeche Mode video!

This is one of their only two good songs. You didn't delve into their opus very deeply, did you? Plus, I don't listen to KMFDM, really.

I don't listen to KMFDM, really.

Yes I can tell, otherwise you would've gotten my "KMFDM :sniper:Depeche Mode" joke.

You didn't delve into their opus very deeply, did you?
Au contraire! To illustrate: below is a video from Recoil, which was the sideband of Depeche Mode's Alan Wilder in the early 90's. The lead singer in the below song is Douglas McCarthey who is the lead singer for Nitzer Ebb. On about page 5 of this thread I'd posted a video from Nitzer Ebb called "Getting Closer" which is on the "Showtime" album, and the reason I bought that album was because I'd heard Alan Wilder was the producer.

D

Another '90s genre I still enjoy, albeit in smaller doses: Electronic, aka electronica, aka house, aka techno.

Fluke - Risotto (1997) - "Absurd"

Other bands I liked: Underworld; The Chemical Brothers; The Crystal Method; The Prodigy; Daft Punk; The Future Sound of London; Faithless.

This, in a way, also 90s :thumbsup:

Other bands I liked: Underworld; The Chemical Brothers; The Crystal Method; The Prodigy; Daft Punk; The Future Sound of London; Faithless.
I approve this message.

I approve this message.
I couldn't decide what a good electronica 'starter album' would be. My first instinct was The Crystal Method's Vegas, but over the years I don't find myself listening to that very much. Underworld's Dubnobasswithmyheadman is the one I sink into all these years later, which could mean it isn't a good introductory album.

Underworld - "Dark & Long"

Fans of American television procedurals might remember this song, which was used over the opening credits of Third Watch, 1999-2005.

The Crystal Method - "Keep Hope Alive"

I've heard of several things for KMFDM.

The quickest way to get under a KMFDM fans skin is to infer that it stands for "Kill M-F'ing Depeche Mode" (its like saying "May the Force Be With You" to a Star trek fan: you don't do something like that unless your trying to start a fight). Since no one's gone ballistic on me for the inference I made (and a true KMFDM would have picked up on it immediately) then I think its safe to assume there aren't any diehard KMFDM fans in this thread.

October Projects "Return to Me" came out in 1994 and made it into the "Blown Away" movie. I don't know why it was considered good enough to make it into a movie soundtrack, as the group pairs a classically trained singer with bohemian rhythms, so its very niche-specific. The reason I like it is that it was the first song I heard while driving home after my oldest was born - a lot of sentimental attachment, and its actually going to be our Father/Daughter dance at her wedding next October (it'll be our October Project! :) ):

Last edited:
Since no one's gone ballistic on me

They're getting old and any diehard fans would already know KMFDM is a drug against war.

This band was always a fake. Moreover, the start of this song (probably their greatest hit), was a shameless steal of the by then massively famous intro of Smells like Teen Spirit.
God, I hate that song. :lol:

October Projects "Return to Me" came out in 1994 and made it into the "Blown Away" movie. I don't know why it was considered good enough to make it into a movie soundtrack, as the group pairs a classically trained singer with bohemian rhythms, so its very niche-specific. The reason I like it is that it was the first song I heard while driving home after my oldest was born - a lot of sentimental attachment, and its actually going to be our Father/Daughter dance at her wedding next October (it'll be our October Project! :) ):

European "symphonic metal" bands have found a lot of success with classically-trained singers and orchestras. On the one hand, I'm a little surprised that it hasn't caught on with other genres, but otoh, classical/opera and metal are pretty close cousins, musically. I think some people might expect classical musicians and opera singers to be shocked and appalled by metal, but on the contrary, they seem to grasp it pretty intuitively (likewise, one might expect metal fans to cover their ears and run away, but have instead fallen in love with classically-trained singers and orchestras).

Top Bottom