Suggestions and Requests

If I understand correctly, once Leoreth wraps up 1.17, the next version (1.18) will be primarily about finalizing the Big Map. At that point (1.19?) we can start making some serious changes to the landscape of the world map -- things like natural wonders and holy mountains, prehistoric sites and settlements, fossil beds and tar pits, etc.

I imagine that an overhaul of tribal villages could be in the same category. I definitely don't want to get rid of them, but I'd love to make them more integrated into the game and more reflective of real-world history than the 'goody huts' and loot boxes they are currently. Allowing them to grow into barbarian cities sounds like a really interesting idea, especially for ancient cities that faded from history before game-legible 'civilization' arose in their region -- things like Knossos on Crete, or Tartessos in southern Spain. There's a world of inspiration to be found from other mods (Barbarian Civs is a component in Cavemen2Cosmos) or other games (such as city-states in Civ 6) as well.

Is fun to have more tribal villages and also that they can spawn later on as well over time and not have the typical map, warrior and scout, tribes can appear and they existed and even been found well into the 20th century.

I actually just looked up the code and the outcomes are directly attributed to difficulty. While in retrospect obvious I admit I don't know much about the game. How people play paragon is beyond me. Only heir and regent grant techs. Heir has 4 rolls whereas regent has 1. The best paragon has to hope for is coins, but most of the time its strong barbarians. I was wondering why I wasn't getting settlers or workers but it's because I've been playing regent and those only come from heir. I figured leoreth just took them out of the game completely so civs wouldn't found random ass cities. So I'd imagine the great person idea is a non starter, maybe I just want to be spooned. But spawning a barbarian village is still a neat idea imo.

Once we get to the big map I think Pacific islands should be more important. In real life they were absolutely necessary for refueling and maintenance stations, so maybe there could be a national wonder that requires 18 water tiles in the city radius could have a Coaling Station requiring Engine. This would be built with food like a settler, add 10 Hammers, airports cost 50% less in that city, and heal units an extra 25% per turn. Otherwise those islands are worthless.

Otherwise explorers could be upgraded to have the ability to found an Outpost. It would work sort of like a regular city but it wouldn't be able to work or claim any other tile, wouldn't be able to build anything, have one trade route, and cost maintenance. It grant the resource it is built on. It would require a settler to turn it into a city, but a settler could found a city on an adjacent tile, turning the outpost into a fort. This could also be helpful for North and South American and Russian colonization since those land masses will be absolutely huge and being able to fortify units and claim territory will be hugely strategic.

Last edited:
To be honest I think the huts in the 3000 BC scenario should just be removed... While it's definitely nice to go hut hunting as China or Babylon and nab some gold, it introduces a lot of variance in the opening of the game and I'm not really sure that it adds anything positive.

A few suggestions, as I keep playing the game.

c) City Occupation. In warfare I like stomping out the enemy but I don't like being left with their cities if they collapse or capitulate. Could an option be merely be "Temporary Military Occupation" where the city is under riot but cannot produce anything and inflicts the same amount of war weariness. When peace happens the city automatically reverts to the other party or in the event of collapse besieging forces are sent on the outskirts of the city.

some mechanic similar to this concept of "City Occupation" would be very interesting, and I think it may be feasible to implement, as there are several situations in the game where I would like to occupy (albeit temporarily) 1 or 2 cities of some more CIV strong (like USA/England/European Civ) to be able to weaken them a little, and delay them a little, since these civs tend to shoot up in the technological race. I think it would be interesting, but it would have to be limited to just a few cities occupied simultaneously otherwise it would be too overpowered. I think the ability to be able to use your troops as a way to generate a form of distraction/delay in these stronger civs would be an interesting feature. would offer a wider range of possibilities for dealing with civs that get too "snowballed"

To be honest I think the huts in the 3000 BC scenario should just be removed... While it's definitely nice to go hut hunting as China or Babylon and nab some gold, it introduces a lot of variance in the opening of the game and I'm not really sure that it adds anything positive.

It might be better the huts develop over time from lets say 2000BC to the pre-modern area, ending in let's say the 1900. Also maybe they would give practical things like a worker, settler, slave, a skirmisher, archer or other such. and more gold as the ages go on and wealth becomes more logical, so only a meager 10 gold early on and several 100 later in the colonization times.

Also maybe they would give practical things like a worker, settler, slave, a skirmisher, archer or other such.

So currently it's based on difficulty. For Heir:

CIV4HandicapInfo said:
<Goodies>
<GoodyType>GOODY_HIGH_GOLD</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_LOW_GOLD</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_MAP</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_SETTLER</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_WARRIOR</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_SCOUT</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_WORKER</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_WORKER</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_EXPERIENCE</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_HEALING</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_TECH</GoodyType>

For regent:

CIV4HandicapInfo said:
<GoodyType>GOODY_SCOUT</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_BARBARIANS_WEAK</GoodyType>
<GoodyType>GOODY_BARBARIANS_STRONG</GoodyType>

So on regent you lose the option for settlers and workers from heir. You also have 1 in 20 chance for a tech as opposed to 1 in 5 in heir. Once you get to higher difficulties techs are no longer options either.

Unlike Zaddy that prefers less variations I'm vey much in favor of it. And I'm sure Zaddy is not alone. So it's 100% a preference thing and thus ultimately up to Leoreth as opposed to a change that would positively affect everybody's experience with the mod.

Should York/Toronto or the area around it be controlled by the French instead of the English in the 1700ad scenario? Correct me if I'm wrong or missing something but I'm quite sure France still had control over the New France area at that time while the British were limited to the East Coast.

Think about the 1700 AD scenario as setting the stage for the world soon after 1700 AD rather than a perfect snapshot of the year 1700 AD.

In all honesty the French did very little with Canada, more interested in trading post then much colonization back then. The area around the Hudson Bay was considered English on maps I see of the first half of the 1700's the south and East French, (Quebec). so Toronto being English is not odd, it was disputed for decades, till the British just fought a war over it.

Though Leoroth has a better point I just see haha.

Yeah you could even make the argument that York/Toronto shouldn't be here at all yet but it's better to make sure that it's there in the future that way.

The French even had an East India company and a lot of early gains in India, but also that got overshadowed by Britain, though in 1947-1950 they ceceded some areas to India. France has a long reputation of dwindling down in colonial power, outside Africa. They did once control the most colonial desert sands suppose.

Small thing but I always thought Washington should be near a river (maybe 1-2 tiles one), as it located at the end of a rather large one coming from the south, directly from the Ocean, the Potomac River.

Yeah there is a river to the N-west 1 spot, but I'd assume Washington to have a river as well, it can help the WASH with a levee, as well.

Is it possible to have the 'change civilization' choice be present throughout the game instead of being triggered only when a new civilization appears?
Say I'm playing in the 1700 scenario, but want to play Poland. Is it possible to play as Russia, conquer Polish core areas, and then, after liberation, switch to them?

Pretty sure ctrl + C lets you change civs at will.

I have noticed that there's an option on worldbuilder (under game options) to spawn them in, but it appears not to work and multiple error signs pop up.
upload_2022-6-5_12-45-11.png

Ctrl-c only work with cheat on I think?
I don't know about Ctrl-C, but using the standard method (saving on WB and loading) triggers these bugs where several civilizations declare war on themselves and general ungentlemanly behavior, such as also making defensive pacts with themselves, and a weird city-within-a-city thing I don't really get. I was thinking of changing civilizations in way that doesn't cause the game to go apehorsehocky.

I have suggestions though. These range from simple additions to system changes. I call them 'Not-Great People' (NGP).
Premise:
We have Spies, and Great Spies. We have Missionaries and Great Prophets. We have Workers and Great Engineers. Each of those Great People have a Not-so-Great counterpart.
What if there were (a) mundane forms for each Great Person that explores mostly unaddressed mechanics, and (b) a chance for a not-great-person to be promoted to a Great Person?
So each civilization has a limit of 3 NGPs, and each NGP has one active ability and two passive abilities. One passive ability is a (Friendly) ability, granting a small opinion bonus to another civilization if the NGP is left in their borders (consider them as some kind of foreign advisor that they're grateful to have along; the cap on the bonus is +3).

Culture: Artist (NGP)/Great Artist (GP)
Culture has several niches it can exploit better, such as city nationality, tile stability category (core to foreign core), and replenishment of defensive %.
  • Active Power (Assimilate). The Artist spends 3 turns, and when complete, changes a percentage of a city's nationality to match your own. This is limited up to 50% (allowing you to draft units who drank the Kool-Aid). GP increase to 80%.
  • Passive Power 1 (Morale Boost, Friendly): Slightly increases the rate of replenished defensive structures by increasing the morale of defenders, and increasing health recovery in your territory. Each enemy unit defeated grants :culture:. GP doubles bonus.
  • Passive Power 2 (Influence Culture). The tile stability category around the Artist increases by one step in a 3x3 radius centered on the artist (increasing from Core > Historical > Contested > Foreign > Foreign Core). This bonus fades when the Artist is no longer stationed, and does not stack. GP that is settled in a city increases that one city's tile one step forever.

Production: Engineer (NGP)/Great Engineer (GP)

Production is focused on improvement of tiles and building of cities, but also some limited terraforming.
  • Active Power (Oversee). The Engineer spends 5 turns, each turn increasing the production of the settlement he is stationed in by 1% on the first turn, 3% on the second, 10% on the third, 3% on the fourth, and 1% on the fifth. GP doubles the bonus.
  • Passive Power 1 (Improve Infrastructure, Friendly). The Engineer acts as an improved worker, making better improvements (Cottage starts one step higher as Village, a tile with a Fort turns into a Hill if it was flat, and turns back once the improvement is removed) and faster. The Engineer can also improve allies' tiles, but cannot remove an improvement (except when building a better version of it). GP is even better in this, and can be sacrificed to turn a 2x2 tile area from Marsh terrain to Grasslands.
  • Passive Power 2 (Redirect Efforts). The Engineer stores excess hammers and overflow (up to 50 :hammers:), and can spend it using the Oversee action, adding the hammers at a 1:2:3:2:1 ratio). If the settlement he is in has an airport, it can airlift one additional unit per turn. GP has a higher limit to the excess (200 :hammers:).
For example, I use an Engineer in Thebes, and have 43 excess hammers after whipping the building into shape. The Engineer (if stationed in the city), stores the 43, and when overseeing a project, provides the following hammers each turn: 4:8:12:8:4.

Warfare: Commander (NGP)/Great General (GP)
Warfare is more straightforward, focusing on units and logistics.
  • Active Power (Lead). The Commander joins a unit of any type (land, naval, or aerial), granting one free promotion or some XP. The leading unit contributes more points towards the Great General bar than a normal unit, and upon defeat grants a large bonus to the bar. There is a 10% chance a defeated Commander survives without his unit's defeat, appearing in the closest city. A commander can join a friendly unit instead of a player-controlled one, in which case the same benefits happen, and you also get vision on the unit. The GP grants more XP, and has triple the chance to survive his unit (30%).:strength:
  • Passive Power 1 (Oversee Training, Friendly): The Commander increases military production of units in the city he is in by 10%, and gives new units +1 XP. GP doubles the bonuses.
  • Passive Power 2 (Reform Military): The Commander reduces the building cost of military buildings by 10%, and lowering war weariness by 20%. GP doubles the bonus.

Economy: Merchant (NGP)/ Great Merchant (GP)

Economy covers tinkering with trade routes, commerce, and corporations.
  • Active Power (Trade Mission): The Merchant can use this ability to trigger a pop-up, allowing them to choose any city that is connected to the one he is in by a trade route :traderoute:, and teleport to it. The merchant also has limited espionage capabilities, gaining missions. He can perform the Investigate City (for 1 turn), Steal Treasury, Poison Water, Foment Unhappiness, and Bribe Worker missions. The Merchant has a higher chance of retreating to the nearest city compared to a spy. GP can teleport twice, and has higher chance on succeeding (and escaping) on a mission.
  • Passive Power 1 (Commercial Negotiations, Friendly): A merchant stationed in a city adds a small amount of :commerce: for each trade route the settlement has. GP doubles the bonus.
  • Passive Power 2 (Negotiate Ventures): A merchant stationed in a city keeps the corporations that are in it from leaving, even if they would otherwise leave. If there are no corporations in the city, the merchant increases the chance of one appearing. A GP can instead be spent to build a Corporation HQ to keep it present perpetually and increase the benefits it has by 20%.
Religion: Priest (NGP)/Great Prophet (GP)
Religion covers a little bit of everything.
Special: Changing your religion has a 50% chance of removing your Priest (check once per Priest).
  • Active Power (Proselytize): A reusable missionary, limited to one city. Using the same ability in a city with the faith has a chance of removing a random other faith (as religious persecutor). Spreading the faith:religion: to a civilization that shares the same faith has a minor opinion bonus.
  • Passive Power 1 (Faithful Shield, Friendly to Same-Faith Civilizations): The Priest exerts a Zone of Control (3x3) against missionaries and Priests (but not Great Priests) of faiths other than your own, and lowers the chance of spread of enemy faiths, even vs Great Missions. The Priest can also attempt to remove the unit they engage against (75% vs. Missionaries, 50% vs. Priests). GP's rate in combat is 100% vs. Missionaries, 75% vs. Priests, and 50% vs. Great Priests).
  • Passive Power 2 (Holy War): The Priest adds a minor stability boost to you when in your city that has your religion, and adds 10% to combat strength for your units on the same square when outside your lands (as well as friendly units who share your faith). GP doubles the bonuses and also has the Medic promotion.
Science: Scientist(NGP)/Great Prophet (GP)
Science has several niches to explore besides bulbing and accumulating beakers, such as tech transfer, stealing, and utilizing desire for research.
  • Active Power (Innovate): The Scientist gains a similar ability to the Merchant, but can only move if the two cities also share science:science: buildings (besides open borders and trade routes). He also gains a unique espionage mission that can break up tech stealing to smaller chunks, and reduces the cost for Tech Stealing. GP is more efficient in Tech Stealing and cannot be caught.
  • Passive Power 1 (Inspire Wonder, Friendly): The Scientist adds 1 happiness and health every 30% Research. high Research Levels. GP makes the bonus 1 per 10%.
  • Passive Power 2 (Accumulating Experience): The Scientist boosts the Tech Spread bonus, and gives 2 Scientist GPP for each Science building in the city.
Governance: Statesman/Diplomat (NGP)/ Great Statesman (GP)
Governance concerns itself with a little of everything, but mainly stability and boosts for messing with AI. Great Statesmen also gain the ability to force ceasefire (as the event).
  • Active Power (Influence): The Statesman has several spy-like missions, including Sabotage Project, Spread Culture, Support City Revolt, Foment Unhappiness, Steal Technology, Influence Civics, Influence Religion, Bribe Worker, and Perform Counterespionage. The Statesman also has two special missions:
    • Dismantle Coalition, which can allow the Statesman to unmake a Defensive Pact between your target and another civilization,
    • Damage Control, which allows the statesman to reduce one non-permanent (such as different religions) random opinion penalty by 1.
GP have higher success chance in these missions.​
  • Passive Power 1 (Diplomatic Ties, Friendly): The Statesman increases stability in your city or that of a friendly civilization, and prevents loss of contact with the civilization. If in enemy lands, this increases the chance for peace talks. This also has double the normal bonus to Opinion, and makes the AI more likely to agree in general negotiations, especially declare war on other civilizations. Opinion penalties decay faster while bonuses remain for longer. GP doubles all the bonuses (quadruples bonus to Opinion). This is otherwise similar to the French special power, and the French get another bonus to compensate.
  • Passive Power 2 (Diplomatic Immunity): The Statesman, when apprehended for a failed espionage mission or attacked in combat, has a 75% to escape to the nearest city. A statesman entering hostile land can only be discovered by another statesman or spy, allowing other units to find or capture him.
Espionage: Spy (NGP)/Great Spy (GP)
Espionage focuses on core BTS play with some modifications. Stationed Great Spies also add +1 XP to spies created in the city.
  • Active Power (Mission): This is as per normal spies:espionage:, with the addition of the ability to teleport to other cities that share trade routes (as per Merchant), but takes one additional turn. Great Spy can teleport up to three connected trade routes away. GP of course keeps has the Infiltrate City ability.
  • Passive Power 1 (Hidden Operative): This is the spy's normal ability to cross national boundaries without open borders, remain hidden (even from other spies), and increase chance of detecting enemy spies. GP cannot be detected at all, except by other stationed GP, and has a higher chance of finding enemy spies.
  • Passive Power 2 (Trained Professional): This represents the spy's capacity to level up. Successful missions add XP to the Spy (and hence, XP to the GP bar), and defensive captures of enemy spies also nets XP to spies on the same tile (and naturally, to the GP bar).

NGP, I think, should also have a small chance (5%, or 1% for mission-using NGP) be able to turn into GP upon using their active power. When it comes to the Commander, perhaps surviving a fight triggers the check instead. Nothing cooler than losing your commander, only to find out that they came with more experience and are ready to rejoin the fight.

Attachments

• doc self hatred.png
    doc self hatred.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 50
  • guanzhou tianjin civil war.png
    guanzhou tianjin civil war.png
    525.1 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom