Suggestions and Requests

I'm using RFC: Europe as a teaching tool for a middle school 'History Through Games' class this year. We'll be using the 1.6.5 update, and I've been going over it with a fine-toothed comb for material (strategies, info for quizzes, etc.) I found a few changes I'd like to suggest for the Wonders:

- There are three non-physical events that are treated by the game as 'World Wonders' to be built: Leonardo's Inventions, Magellan's Voyage, Marco Polo's Embassy. Can I suggest that these be treated as 'Projects' instead, similar to L'Encyclopedie and the two West/East India Trading Companies?
- Likewise, while Copernicus' Observatory is a real building, it isn't really an 'observatory' in the usual sense. It's a small back room in the northwest corner of Frombork Cathedral, where Copernicus observed the stars (pre-telescope) and worked on his math. I'd suggest that either this should also be re-interpreted as a Project (perhaps just call it Heliocentrism) or rename it 'Frombork Archcathedral' so the emphasis is on the physical building, similar to 'Uraniborg' (where Tycho Brahe made his observations). Even 'Frombork Observatory' would be an improvement, in my opinion.

Thanks again for your work on this mod!

There should be a mechanic called Personal Union, in which two civs either get into an alliance or get merged. So many kingdoms and empires were formed by the merging of two or more kingdoms. It could be sort of an union, vassalage or alliance, where one inherits all the other player's cities in case they collapse. I feel like this phenomenon is so unrepresented for the amount of times it happened during the mod's time period. This could do justice for some of the countries represented, especially Prussia. I'll list some examples below.

Happened:
Spoiler :

Austria-Hungary
Brandenburg-Prussia
Burgundy-France (also Germany and/or Austria)
Aragon-Castille
Denmark-Norway
England-Scotland
Poland-Lithuania

Short-lived:
Spoiler :

Austria-Spain
Britain-Netherlands
Denmark-England-Norway
Germany-Hungary
Hungary-Poland
Poland-Sweden
Denmark-Sweden
Portugal-Spain

Could have been:
Spoiler :

Castille-Portugal
England-France
England-Spain
France-Spain

I'd say more but mostly happened with countries not represented in-game (Andorra, Navarre, Flanders, Naples, Sicily, Bohemia, etc)

@Genghis Khaiser Hi, small teaser here. I'm currently working on a enhanced version of RFCE. I have already made a few modifications. I'm currently working on a large refactoring of the Python codebase to introduce new gameplay dynamics (for instance events, personal union/vassal integration, more gamespeed, some new victory etc...) and other things (eg. adding the BUG mod, rebalancing areas and UHV between civs, extending the game to the industrial period etc...).
I'll do a post to present the fork in the coming days/weeks.

@Genghis Khaiser Hi, small teaser here. I'm currently working on a enhanced version of RFCE. I have already made a few modifications. I'm currently working on a large refactoring of the Python codebase to introduce new gameplay dynamics (for instance events, personal union/vassal integration, more gamespeed, some new victory etc...) and other things (eg. adding the BUG mod, rebalancing areas and UHV between civs, extending the game to the industrial period etc...).
If your fork is stable by January, I'd love to be able to use it for my 'History Through Games' classes this year. If not, no worries, it'll be there to use in a future year (just like DOC 1.18 with the big map probably won't be available this year, so I'll use it in a future year). But I'd love to see RFCE get an update, so definitely keep us posted!

If your fork is stable by January, I'd love to be able to use it for my 'History Through Games' classes this year. If not, no worries, it'll be there to use in a future year (just like DOC 1.18 with the big map probably won't be available this year, so I'll use it in a future year). But I'd love to see RFCE get an update, so definitely keep us posted!
Of course!
The roadmap is not clearly define yet but I want to focus first on the more time consuming tasks: refactoring data and models and adding the BUG mod. With these elements in place, it will be much easier to introduce new gameplay modifications. I expect it will take about 2 months to complete these first tasks.

Please let this be true! I’m thankful for everything Morholt and Absinthe did and all the time they put in. And not being a programmer myself, I have no right to ask for anybody else to do all the work - but I’ll be so grateful for when this comes out.

@voigt - you know that Morholt put a lot of those concepts into RFCE++, like personal unions, the HRE, etc. my understanding is that he disappeared without making any of his code public for those enhancements, but still might be interesting for you to take a look. With all the work on RFCE since then, it is still superior to RFCE++, but Morholt definitely had some great ideas.

Also, just as an aside, I actually advertised on fiverr to try and find a programmer to pick this up. Not a single taker (Sigh).

it would be lit. I have been waiting for it for years. Best of luck

Please let this be true! I’m thankful for everything Morholt and Absinthe did and all the time they put in. And not being a programmer myself, I have no right to ask for anybody else to do all the work - but I’ll be so grateful for when this comes out.

@voigt - you know that Morholt put a lot of those concepts into RFCE++, like personal unions, the HRE, etc. my understanding is that he disappeared without making any of his code public for those enhancements, but still might be interesting for you to take a look. With all the work on RFCE since then, it is still superior to RFCE++, but Morholt definitely had some great ideas.

Also, just as an aside, I actually advertised on fiverr to try and find a programmer to pick this up. Not a single taker (Sigh).

Okay, I didn't know about RFCE++, I looked at the thread. It's a shame that the source code haven't been released. Do you know where I could download a version of this mod? The links are broken and the remaining Google drive link is private.

Regarding the game dynamics, e.g. HRE and personal union, how exactly does it work?

For personal union, I thought of a vassal system triggered by a date event that allows the player to establish a union between the two parties. For AI, we could use a threshold to determine whether the union is achieved. I guess we'd have to think of some criteria for breaking the union, other than a fixed date. Similarly, we'd have to set up an exit from the union through the integration of one party by another.

Speaking of HRE, it's a defense pact between a group of German civs, I suppose? The emperor has some advantages, I guess? Do you see any other than declaring war?

I like this mod, but not being BAT-based makes me less desirable to play

Okay, I didn't know about RFCE++, I looked at the thread. It's a shame that the source code haven't been released. Do you know where I could download a version of this mod? The links are broken and the remaining Google drive link is private.

Regarding the game dynamics, e.g. HRE and personal union, how exactly does it work?

For personal union, I thought of a vassal system triggered by a date event that allows the player to establish a union between the two parties. For AI, we could use a threshold to determine whether the union is achieved. I guess we'd have to think of some criteria for breaking the union, other than a fixed date. Similarly, we'd have to set up an exit from the union through the integration of one party by another.

Speaking of HRE, it's a defense pact between a group of German civs, I suppose? The emperor has some advantages, I guess? Do you see any other than declaring war?
Hi, I am really looking forward to the new version of the mod you are working on.
Here is the version of RFCE++ I was using: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bdxRwYjchCByyoAZ6-4LpQ8AEnhuYiMA/view?usp=sharing I believe there were several of those and it is the last one stable.

Hi, I am really looking forward to the new version of the mod you are working on.
Here is the version of RFCE++ I was using: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bdxRwYjchCByyoAZ6-4LpQ8AEnhuYiMA/view?usp=sharing I believe there were several of those and it is the last one stable.
Thanks for the link! The assets will be very useful when adding new civs (like Bohemia and others). Also, even though the cpp code isn't available, I can get the idea of how it was designed with the Python code.
I've almost finished the cleaning of the Python codebase. I'm looking to add more gamespeed (like in RFC DoC) before publishing a new forum post.

Maybe it's the wrong thread but can anyone point me to the most recent version?

I redownloaded it but I noticed a bug where I'd declare war upon any respawned civ. Also I noticed many wonders were missing like Torre del Oro, Peterhof and St Michel.

This was a really promising looking project, and I hope you return someday to finish it

This is very cool, but I would recommend against extending the game to the industrial period. It's already sparse enough as it is in terms of techs, civs, etc... I'd much rather increase the number of turns but keep the timeframe the same and add more civs, techs, buildings, wonders. I'm working on a mod that will increase the game to 600 or 650 turns.

Top Bottom